Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 9

Old 01-08-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Inc, I think some people just have a general addiction gene. My one brother in law seemed to get addicted to anything that blew past his nose. Booze, butts, coke, weed, and smack over the course of a lifetime. Unfortunately,he never got addicted to making a living. At least you are aware of your personality, and how best to make life work because of ,or in spite of, it.

Went to lunch today at a local firehouse with my Dad where we are social members. In my area, most fire companies are staffed by volunteers and many have social rooms where they serve beer and food cheaper than a typical bar, kind of like a VFW. The proceeds then go to the fire company.

In my twenty some years of membership, I have gotten stupid drunk here many many times. I haven't been there since quitting drinking last spring. Happy to say that I felt no urges at all to drink and had a nice lunch with my Dad.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Awesome SG!

None for me today.
Going of for my bday tonight for a nice dinner. Finally using gift cards we got from last year.

My bday is tomorrow so you have time to send a card with money.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Glad you had a good lunch SG!

Happy birthday Inc! Click on the link for your present (because you're worth it!)

https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qim...t_to_webp=true
Old 01-09-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
OMD

Happy Birthday Inc. The check's on its way. I hope you won't be offended by the generous sum, and I hope it gets there safely.

So, addiction. I think addiction is for bad things and obsession is for good things, or at least things that don't hurt you. So I might be obsessed with exercise but not addicted. I would be addicted if I did it when I didn't want to because I couldn't stop myself, and it was a bad thing to do too much of. Or, to put it another way, if I could justify it by saying I only have or do X of it so I am not addicted then I know it's a bad thing. For example I would never say oh I am not addicted to running, I can take it or leave it, I mean I only ran 10 miles this week. Absurd, so, get your head straight and realise what addiction is for you. Then, know that most of the addiction aspect is mental - there aren't really ,any physical problems with stopping usually. This helped me get my own head straight about the reality of my relationship with things, good and bad. I am obsessed with some things and addicted to others.

This probably doesn't help but I am happy if it does. see, once you truly know it's addiction you don't want it. but unless you understand that you are not giving up nicotine but gaining freedom you will likely find it hard. I did 2 packs of cigarettes a day for a long time and my entire life revolved around knowing that I had enough for the rest of the day and a few for the following morning before I restocked. I couldn't believe the freedom when I figured it out.

Onwards and upwards!
OMD
Old 01-09-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Inc!

Powerball in the States is up to $900,000,000 maybe even higher by the time of the drawing in a few hours ! Will make for a nice birthday present if I win!

Have a great birthday!

Olivia
Old 01-10-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Happy Birthday Inc! Since my birthday is next weekend, I will just keep the check I was going to send to you and we will call it even!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Happy Be-lated Birthday Inc! Hope you had a wonderful day and stuffed yourself silly last night.

I`m not sure how I managed it, but I am on day 5 of non-smoking. I just don`t think about it, and when I do (like right now) I have a craving. I think it`s all about mind control, and keeping yourself totally busy! Also, the thought of standing outside in -30c temps is enough to curb any craving.

I was up early this morning, trying out a new schedule. We`ll see how it works out. I am staying up too late in the evenings, and usually tire out by mid afternoon and crash for a nap, and it doesn`t make sense with my schedule! I can`t afford those naps, so it`s time for a change.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  
OMD

Good luck with your new schedule Cauli!

Just a quick check in from me. Am on the road again, seems like the holidays never happened. Ah well. I'm so grateful to be sober

Best wishes
OMD
Old 01-11-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

I know what you mean OMD! Holidays already feel like ancient history! Just feel happy to still be sober after them.

Feels a bit like passing a last big test. I've maintained sobriety through, birthdays, holidays, weddings, funerals, celebrations and moments of crisis.... And now Christmas can also safely be ticked off the list!

It is going to be important to not feel complacent at this stage but I do feel quietly confident now that I will be able to make it through a full year.

Of course, I hope that that will just be the beginning but one step at a time...
Old 01-11-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  
OMD

You have done amazingly Amp and you should be very proud. At this stage you are entitled to be hugely optimistic.

OMD
Old 01-11-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Thanks mate! I think any of us still standing from April last year can look back with pride on our respective transformations
Old 01-11-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy belated brithday Inc

Hi everyone!

D
Old 01-12-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Thanks mate! I think any of us still standing from April last year can look back with pride on our respective transformations
No truer words have ever been spoken, lol!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  
OMD

Hello D and everyone!

Yep, all good. First signs of 2016 are good

Right, now, less chocolate = good. So, how to implement? Don't fancy going CT on that one!

Hope you're all doing well

Best wishes
OMD
Old 01-12-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
I know what you mean OMD! Holidays already feel like ancient history! Just feel happy to still be sober after them.

Feels a bit like passing a last big test. I've maintained sobriety through, birthdays, holidays, weddings, funerals, celebrations and moments of crisis.... And now Christmas...
I think my next big test is going to be when I win $1.5 billion US tomorrow in the lottery. Can you even imagine? Might be hard to stay sober for that one.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, and everyone!
I was an article this morning from SR and I think we are all at a point where we are searching for our purpose and passion. Getting sober is hard, but staying sober is harder, and without a new passion to get a natural high, we are left wondering why we are working so hard to stay sober. Inc was alluding to this in a recent post. It's something that that we are all working towards. I believe, everyday certain events are leading up to us finding our passion, and with clear, sober minds, we are able to see and hear the opportunities knocking. It's not going to happen instantly, we know that now, but it's becoming clearer that we are all on the right paths!

This week so far has been pretty great. I've been very productive on the work front, and on the home front, staying focused on a busy schedule and getting things done. I am also doing very well in protecting my boundaries, not letting the negative in and keeping my cool when it comes toxic people. I realize now that I can't help everyone, and some people will have to come to their own terms in due time, and nothing I do or say will change them. I don't know if this realization comes naturally with age or if it's part of my recovery, but I'll take it either way.

Have a good day folks! It's hump day, it's all downhill from here until the weekend!
Old 01-13-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Stargazer, if you win, don't forget to share the wealth! Together, we can all help you stay sober on our trip around the world in our private jet and the odd yacht.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

SG..You may be right. I think the pressure to party would be huge too. I really want the rest of my life to be the best of my life. I'd like to think I would do the following:

1. Hire warren buffet to manage my money
2. Hire Dr. Oz to ensure longevity.
3. Hire Dr. Phil to keep my head on straight.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Well...looks like no winner. Screw it. Warren Buffet is a has been, Dr Oz is a wack-a-do, and Dr Phil is a quack anyway. I don't need them.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all,
Sorry no one won the lottery. Ah well. Best get to work then!

Hope you are all very well!

Best wishes
OMD
ps had a lunch today. Lots of people drinking water. Wish it was Jan every month, would be so much easier!