Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 23

Old 12-24-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

It's Christmas here!

Have a lovely day everyone

Old 12-25-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas to you all! I hope every one of you is having a wonderful day.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

You too Adna!
Old 12-25-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone had a great day

D
Old 12-26-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

You were a cute baby Dee !!
Old 12-26-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's my stand-in Top

D
Old 12-26-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good Morning Peeps.....so glad to be home & not in a hurry this am. Other than a outing to take Son, his girl friend & Niece & Nephew ice skating next week, I have no plans!! Time for some very needed rest

Any movie suggestions? I like a good thriller with no gore or based on true storys
Old 12-26-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Hi Mariah, I'm not much help on the thriller film front I'm afraid, I stay well clear of thrillers, they give me bad dreams

It's great to hear you've got a restful time ahead.

Our visitors have just gone. I find it quite stressful having people stay. Both me and OH are quite introverted, so entertaining people can be a bit tiring. My parents are both pretty easy going, so it should be easy, but I find I need a lot of time alone, and its difficult to sneak away when you have guests.

I used to use alcohol to bridge the gap between the "loner me" and the "social me", but of course I don't have that defence anymore! I'm happy that I've now had another sober Christmas, but it does sometimes feel like I'm missing something at times.

We have more visitors coming on Monday, just for one night, but they're quite big drinkers, so I need to keep vigilant.

I've found that tiredness makes a huge difference to how I feel. When I'm tired I'm much more susceptible to that gremlin voice that would have me waste all my hard work. After all this time, I'm still learning.

I feel better now, thanks for listening

Hope everyone's having a great day x
Old 12-26-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I'm an introvert as well Freein & feel the same about entertaining...causes me much angst. I'm thinking about the year ahead & how I'de like to get myself out & connect with people without alcohol to "bridge the gap". I think I will look into a hiking club....I don't mind going by myself, just not really safe to do unfortunately. Also thinking I might volunteer for Search & Rescue.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Freein,..
Sometimes late December can be a tough time of year for me also,... I try to remember all I have to be grateful for,.....sobriety being no. 1 on the growing list. Sounds like you are well prepared for Monday !!

Took the bike to Ga. yesterday to see my Mom,.... the thick ocean fog has set in here the last three days, but once I was inland 10 miles it was a beautiful warm sunny day. Round two starting tonight for another busy week at the resort. As far as boozing and fireworks, Christmas week is amateur hour,..
,....this week the pros show up !
Thankfully there's quite a few Canadians coming.

Mariah ,...have you ever watched Deadwood ? It's loosely based on the earliest "camp" days of what became the mining town of Deadwood , South Dakota. The land in the post civil war years was not yet a territory of the US ,...and with a gold strike there,...it attracted a colorful bunch. Greed and lawlessness are two themes in the HBO series. Great writing,..imo
Shakespearean stuff !

You've probably already seen it ,...with your family history in mining.

Obo, ...and Dee,;....do y'all have Santa Down Under ? ,...isn't it a bit warm for the big fella ?
Old 12-26-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Tops, it's good to hear you're back on your bike. That must have blown away the cobwebs! Hope everyone behaves at the resort tonight, it doesn't sound a very pleasant situation.

Mariah, your plans are exciting, volunteering with search and rescue would be such a great cause. Hope you find a hiking group close by.

I have a free day tomorrow, perhaps I'll persuade OH to come for a walk, we could both do with some fresh air and exercise.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
Tops, it's good to hear you're back on your bike. That must have blown away the cobwebs!.
Freein, ..... there was a day long ago in 1990 we went 110 miles round trip to Savannah on actual bicycles ,...yesterday mine had a 400 cc motor on it though,.
,...my beloved dorky Suzuki scooter. It's called a Burgman 400

Even though I usually take a pass on New Years Resolutions , ...this year bicycle riding will be my one ( and only ) NYR !!

How about y'all , ? .... decided on anything concrete yet ?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Oh, it was on you scooter! Still must have blown a couple of cobwebs away. It would be great to get back on your bike though. Also, are you planning to sort out your work hours this year?

I'm still formulating my NYRs. I'm going for 10 big goals this year! Knowing that I'll not achieve them all, but happy if I manage 20-30% of them. It's an experiment to see if I aim high, whether or not I keep motivated for longer.

So far, I've got: 1) to run a hilly and muddy 5k race in less than 30 minutes (a local park run), and 2) to 're-upholster the sofa (myself), and 3) to have a productive vegetable garden this year, and 4) to write a book, and 5) to learn to love my work, or get another job.

Only 5 more to think of then I'll actually get to it!

I always get more fun out of making resolutions than I do actually carrying them out, so why hold back?

The new year is such an inspiring time.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Sitting here feeling a bit low. Finding it a bit difficult being around so much alcohol, OH seems to be drinking at every opportunity. I'm looking forward to having an alcohol free house again.

Even resorted to eating 2 non-vegan mince pies, one after the other, in an attempt to ward off any cravings. All that did was give me an ulcer under my tongue, ouch!

It's definitely helpful to post on SR. There's no way I'll drink, but I'm looking forward to getting back to my normal routines. Sometimes I think living alone would be preferable? I know everyone has challenges, mine are pretty lame for sure, but needed to post anyway.

Hope all the Fools are doing well.

See you later.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Come to think of it , ...maybe I need a second resolution after all !?!

(1) Bike riding ,...and, (2) no more procrastinating !
Old 12-27-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Post away Freein..... You'll soon be back to the normal routine! Maybe your OH is contimati g a New Year without the drink & just going a little hog wild right now? What type of book are you thinking of writing Freein? I have been thinking of writing a memoir.....I had a lot of time to think this last 5 weeks while delivering packages...very humbling & thought about the work experiences I've had, relationship with alcohol & men & the journey to find my way in all of this. The title "Mary had a little Beer".

Have t been feeling so good....over endgence of sweets I think. Enough is enough....lots of water today & NO to any more sugar!

New Years Resolutions??? For this to be my sober year! I'm heading into it with almost 2 months & ready to move forward. I know there are so many possibilities if I put this first & foremost
Old 12-27-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Hang in there Freein,.... you're so right, .. drinking will never help !

I feel the same way about personal challenges, ....nonetheless , ...it's always a good thing when I can , at least,.. recognize them. When I was drinking , .. challenges were a far cry different.

BTW,....what's in a mince pie ? Just the phrase sounds uniquely British ?

Mariah, ...I'll join ya hopping off the sugar train,....as in; ,..... that baby has left the station without this passenger, ,..... < waving byebye with one finger >
Old 12-27-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Mariah, heading in to the new year with 2 months sobriety is such a blessing. Well done you definitely put that one first - it's the key to getting other goals accomplished.

I would like to write a book relating to healthcare. Not to sell, but just to put my own thoughts down on paper, perhaps to help some of my family members and friends.

I've made a tentative start by buying a book about "how to write a book"! You have to start somewhere!

I've also made a start on my upholstery project today - I have some old sheets covering the sofa ready to cut up to make up a pattern for the real fabric. I have no idea what I'm doing, but couldn't find a book called "how to recover an old sofa", so I've decided to use the traditional "intuitive method" of going about things. How hard can it be?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Tops, basically mince pies are part of our traditional Christmas fayre. They're little sweet pastry cases with a filling of apple, dried fruits and mixed spices. They're full of sugar, and any clear thinking person would skip on them! I was weak, what can I say....
Old 12-27-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
,...... and any clear thinking person would skip on them! I was weak, what can I say....

I know what I'd say ,......they beat the tar outta drinking two bottles of wine any day !!!!

Ease up now, ....you skip like a pro ,...what's a little pie gonna hurt !??