Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 23

Old 11-15-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

A good rain last night & snow on the surrounding mountains, a beautiful site for us & hoping we get plenty more of it this winter. Took the day off to rest my back before I start again tomorrow. Teen Son asked if I would take him to buy flowers for his girl this am....their 6 mo anniversary....oh to be 17 & in love

Good plan to stay away from the barage of sweets that will be coming out of the wood work the next 2 months TS, plan on doing the same, way too much!

Great going on sticking to your program Freein!! Consistency pays off
Old 11-16-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Our boiler has broken down AGAIN! Waited for the engineer this afternoon, but no appearance. Thank goodness for the wood burner, we're toasty warm, and heating up water in saucepans. Back to the old fashioned strip wash for a day or two I expect.

UP, are you still collecting your water, or is the pump working now?

Apparently we have some gales to look forward to tomorrow, time to batten down the hatches I think.

Hope everyone's had a great start to the week.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Morning Fools,
8.34am,
at the desk...

Bloody weak Australian politicians.
We'll be next in the firing line....you watch!
Why we are dropping bombs on Syria one minute and taking in their refugees the next is beyond me....

What a mess!

It's so hard to get an accurate news source on what's happening...

The Australian news, Ninemsn, is tripping over itself to spin fear and confusion among the masses.
I think I'm going to ban watching television when we get home....

Tops, Mariah, Freein and Dee, its so good you are keeping this thread ticking along.
I've been flat out here, I'm in desperate need of sleep....

I'm loving being sober again...
Loving the identity of it.
Loving the self respect and pride you get from being sober.
Loving not being a drunken idiot, hiding in the chaos of alcoholism...

I feel as though if I stay conscious and aware of whats happening right now, then most of my issues drop away.
When I was drinking, I was caught in a land of what if/what could be/what should be...
A land of desires really!

Being sober makes you present through the day!
Makes life real.

I'm feeling closer to "god"/a the higher power, some sort of universal consciousness.....closer to being alive!

Exam week here, invigilation without falling asleep is not easy.

HOPE ALL ARE WELL........

stay tuned.................
Old 11-16-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by obosob View Post

I'm loving being sober again...
Loving the identity of it.
Loving the self respect and pride you get from being sober.
Loving not being a drunken idiot, hiding in the chaos of alcoholism...

I feel as though if I stay conscious and aware of whats happening right now, then most of my issues drop away.
When I was drinking, I was caught in a land of what if/what could be/what should be...
A land of desires really!

Being sober makes you present through the day!
Makes life real.

Fabulous and insightful description !!!

I'm keeping a distance from the main stream media myself Obo, ..no tv at home ,....but so,..sooo easy to get pulled into the fray just listening ..to the one in the back office here !

Some online news articles sometimes have a comment section,
... I'm a sucker to read thru the vitriol there !?

All I can think is ,...." a few folks are pretty bold behind an anonymous keyboard,.....and if some haven't lost their minds' yet, they seem to surely have lost their humanity. "

Hope you can get enough rest during this hectic exam period,

Freein,... love how the old wood burner keeps saving the day !
Desperately need one myself.

Mariah ,..it's good to know someone else will be avoiding the sugary barrage comin' our way !

On day 3 with the new diet ,.... gettin' the hang of the tea drinking now,.....a big thermos dedicated to herbal tea is on my "buy list" ,.

,................... have a wonderful new week, ( yoose giiyce )
Old 11-16-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

U ncle passed away, very unaspectably today.....had been working at my brothers when my Mom was walking towArd me & told me...she almost went to her knees ..he was 86 & said he had a stroke, but I am suspicious as he was not at risk of stroke...spent the day with my Mom....told his kids I do not want her to be drawn into the drama....financial. People suck
Old 11-16-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Mariah - having had a few myself strokes can be unexpected.
I hope it was swift and peaceful for him.

Stay strong

D
Old 11-16-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

It was Dee & I went to visit him yesterday, I just wish I had stYed longer to listen to his stories. I'm so sad he is gone .
Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear that Mariah,

Old 11-16-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of your Uncle Mariah...
Old 11-16-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mariah

D
Old 11-16-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear your sad news, Mariah <3
Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Obo, I know exactly what you mean about sobriety bringing us closer to life/God. I feel so connected with myself and the world now, I had lost that when I was drinking.

In a couple of weeks I'll be spending the weekend with my brother and a friend. I spoke to the friend over the weekend, and she asked if I was still "off the wine", when I said " yes, I won't be drinking", she was noticeably disappointed and pressed the subject further "are you sure?". Even after a year and a half, it's seems hard for people to accept that I'm choosing to live a sober life. No one would bat an eyelid if I said I was no longer going to indulge in olives or pickle!

It's great to spend time with my brother, but sometimes I find it challenging to fit in to other people's routines and lifestyle. I like my own lifestyle too much now!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sending love hugs & condolences Mariah so sorry
Old 11-17-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Sorry to hear about your uncle Mariah.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thank you All....I'm glad he went quickly & did not have to linger in a bad state. He had a good full life...We will miss him much. I am going to be away from SR for awhile but I will be thinking of you all.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

We'll miss you while you're gone Mariah <3

UP, it's good to see you!

The boiler is now working, so we have hot water from the tap, it's wonderful. No doubt I'll start to take it for granted again until the next boiler catastrophe!

Hope everyone's doing well.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Glad to hear the hot water's back Freein !

That was a telling convo with your brother's girl,....my counselor surprised me the first time I spoke to her with a question I'll never forget,...

I was in an " advanced group' of DUI guys because the law caught me with a little cocaine one night,...and apparently the only spot for me was with a group of guys with 3 or 4 dui's ,.....

I never had a dui, ..but easily qualified. Anyway, ..my counselor asked me the usual stuff about how much I drank , ...and of course lies just spilled out with roughly 1/3 the amount I was drinking. ( it's hilarious that I thought drinking 6-7 beers sounded like a small amount in my mind ,..at the time !?? )

When I was leaving, she asked me if I would not drink any
alcohol until we met the following week. My response was so telling !

I was shocked !!! Immediately , without thinking ,I asked her ,..." No alcohol at all !?!??

She smiled and looked up at me and asked ,...." if I ask you not to drink any orange juice until next week, would that be a problem ? "

Here's the great part,....when I was leaving on a motorcycle that day, I felt a great weight lifted off my shoulders. Having already been in a vicious cycle of dependency for booze for a couple years ,...I thought a week's break would be wonderful,...and I was already feeling bad that this woman was the only person I'd ever spoken to in my life who was there to help me , and I had already lied to her !

Anyway,...the week almost went by ,.....I ended up getting drunk the night before our next meeting, ...and lied to her again !!?

She'd probably seen this film a thousand times, ....and ask me to go a meeting with her that very day at noon. had no idea what AA was, ...at that point,... but found a room full of about 50 people all pretty happy, and joking around. Picked up a white chip ( they call that a surrender chip ) ...and kept going every day.

This resort retirement community has a ton of high income retirees. ,.....found the diversity ,the stories, the humor...and the message of recovery fascinating,....even though I felt a little like an imposter with my tightly held skeptism of theism, ,...and organized religion.

It really didn't matter to me, ,....they could have been handling snakes for all I cared !

I soon found out the goal was not to drink at all !!
...like forever , and ever. After the initial shock of realizing these weren't classes to learn how to drink " responsibly" ,......it all seemed to make sense everyone was so,..soooo happy !

Most of my huge extended family had never touched alcohol because of religious convictions,... an Uncle who was a country revival type preacher, several cousins ,,married to preachers,...

It was actually just a few of us ,...my folks being the oldest of the bunch who were drinkers,....actually they drank like alcoholics. !
Somehow I had it in my head that I was "destined" to drink and break the law,..... always involved in the Black market when I had the chance. Pure destiny ,..in my mind.

You can just imagine the freedom I felt when I was able to leave all that sabotaging type thinking behind !? It was like being let out of prison,...a dangerous prison I'd built for myself .

Anyway,...your convo with your Brother's girl brought that "orange juice" question long , long ago to mind ,....

Mariah,....check back in with us whenever ya feel like it !
Old 11-18-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Wow, Tops, that's quite a story. We've all come such a long way haven't we? I love how our lives have changed. The insanity we used to live with used to feel so "normal".

I'm not sure at what point my intention to be alcohol free changed from a short term thing in to a life long thing, but it has, and I'm thankful for that. You're so right, it's liberating to be a genuine, authentic person, with nothing to hide. It does seem to cause other people more angst than it should, though. It seems to be somehow taken as antisocial! How mad is that?

Hope you've enjoyed your midweek weekend Tops.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post Tops - thanks

D
Old 11-18-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Brilliant Tops.......see you soon Mariah!!!!