Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 23

Old 12-01-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Mariah, .... Great workout Saturday !!
Bold move,.

Need to sharpen the chainsaw blade ,...hit a nail cutting a root bound creosote fence post last week,..

Dropped a big Laurel oak this afternoon,...def. need to sharpen the blade in the morning . The top of the fallen tree is hung up in the lower branches of a old growth Live Oak tonight,... it's still laying at about a 30 degree angle !

Just ran outta energy to mess with it anymore today before work. After climbing 18' on a ladder to untie the rope on that baby ,...I thought I may need an evening to reflect on what exactly to do next !?!
The primary idea ,..like y'll working out ,........... avoid injury !!!!

Freein, ...I've been thinking about your journaling idea,....it's a good one. If you find yourself with a "go to" workout in 6 months , or a year,..
,....It's always a great idea ( imo ) to stay creative with varied workouts, ...but if, after a period of time , ...your workout performance can be measured in some definitive way. Say, you are skipping for x amount of time , and follow it with a run. You may find tweaking your meal before working out fascinating,....length of time , amounts , high carb , or not ,...etc etc.

My approach has always been to just have fun with the workouts in the first 6 months anyway, ...preferably longer. That way you give yourself a little time to get to a respectable fitness level , before getting all involved with whether your performance is peaking , ,...still improving ,...blah blah ,.....there's plenty of time for all that more serious stuff down the road,....

Kind of like overdoing early recovery,....sometimes it can just get to be "no fun anymore" deluging oneself with constant introspection. That'll eventually burn anybody out !?

With workouts ,...."burning out" is too be avoided like the plague ,... , like the "first drink"
,........................in recovery

You've got the heart of a lion. I have full confidence you'll achieve whatever evolving fitness goals you desire as the years roll by.

That's all I got ,..... 2 cents of consolidated free advice ,... lo

( and easily worth both pennies ! )
Old 12-01-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are taking the eve to think about how to finish that job tops...def sharpen the blade & BE SAFE!! You are getting your workouts in for sure, wrestling those trees.

Called in this am & was not needed to work, so hung out door Christmas lights & set up Christmas tree up on front porch, quite beautiful if I don't say so myself!!
Old 12-01-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Oh, that's lovely, Mariah! We're no where near getting our tree yet. I bet yours looks beautiful. I love decorating the tree, but I have to admit I don't have much creative flair, it usually looks a bit sorry for itself when I've finished. But what we lack in sartorial elegance, we make up for with love.

Tops, that's a great idea, to find some sort of measure. I've already got a few ideas. My goal is to be able to run the local 5k parkrun in less than 30 minutes. It's a tricky, off road, muddy, hilly beast, which I almost killed myself running a while back. I ran in just under 40 minutes. I could have walked it quicker!

Perhaps I could try it again over the New Year as a marker of my progress.

Have a great Wednesday all.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Had some bloods taken today. I'm proud of myself that I didn't faint! - I'm not a fan of needles. The blood results should be available on Monday. I feel better just because I've taken some action. It's something I've been putting off for such a long time.

I'm really enjoying looking after my body recently, and its responding with fewer aches and pains. I can do 6 full press-ups now - (I know that doesn't sound like much but 4 weeks ago I could only do press-ups with my knees on the ground!).

Hope everyone's having a good day today.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Congratulations on one year rocks, that's great.

Happy belated birthday tops.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things UP?

D
Old 12-02-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I'm here.
Still clean and sober ... sometimes I'm not sure why.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think being clean and sober puts you in the right place for miracles to happen, UP.

D
Old 12-02-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

GlAd to see you post UP.....miss hearing from you here.

Did the rest of the tree come down safely TS?

Really glad you had the blood work done today Freein & awesome that you are taking care of yourself & sounds like great progress! Gaining muscle for us "mature" women is one of the best things you can do to improve overall health )next to sobriety) .

9 1/2 hrs on the truck today & hope to work again tomorrow. Good day/night all
Old 12-02-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Thanks Up !

Freein,....you're making great ..progress with the press-ups.

Mariah,.. for goodness sakes,..you and Freein have another 15 years to gain membership in the "mature women" category !??
Great job on the long hours today !!!!!!,

Managed to bring the rest of that tree down without incident,... drag able branches spread everywhere ,.... probably only 10 -12 hours of cutting and hauling logs left. No hurries,..... no worries ,....( for my back anyway ! )

Adopting an old marathoner's workout technique for this tree work

" start easy ,...and back off "

Old 12-03-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Great to see your post UP. I can't remember if you've posted about your well. I assume it's all back in order? I hope so.

Tops, you must have plenty of wood to keep you warm over the winter. Have you ever tried wood carving with a chain saw? There's a fellow round here who makes various garden ornaments out of tree stumps. It looks a bit of a dangerous occupation, but the results are interesting - huge mushrooms, various animals and the odd dragon!

I'm a bit tired this evening so I'm off to bed even earlier than normal.

Hope everyone's well rested today.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Freein,
A wood burning stove is on the top of my wish list !

Our winters are usually brief, but would love to have a way to get my place toasty in cold weather. It's high humidity here, so the cold feels a little harsh the older I get. Totally understand the lure of south Fla. for snowbirds spending 5 months a year down there. Our low temps don't compare to the Midwest (here in the states),....those folks are hearty ( or must stay indoors a lot )

Can't wait to hit the sack tonight myself,...only 4 work days left !

Mariah, .... I'd think the delivery job must give you a good sense of all the out-of-the-way homes and businesses you've never seen before.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:26 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Tops, there's nothing nicer than sitting by a fire or wood burner. Especially if you have access to so much wood. Hope you can get one this winter.

I need to invest in some hardy winter clothes, I really don't want any excuses for not getting outside this winter. Someone reminded me that "there's no such thing as unsuitable weather, just unsuitable clothing".

I've been looking at the map, and there's still lots of walks close by that we've not explored. Hoping to get out for a walk tomorrow, whatever the weather.

Have a great day all.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Didn't mean to post and dash! Thanks everyone! The semester is finishing and I feel like I'm putting out fires everywhere. But nearly there. It's the weekend though so I figure I should take a breather and celebrate this one year sober thing, no? But I'm not sure how one celebrates such a thing... I don't go to AA or anything so it's kind of been kind of an inner yay and patting myself on the back more than anything. What did you guys do?

I like the idea of journaling free. I took five minutes the other day to write down what was the biggest improvement I've noticed in the past year sober and it was that I didn't have any new regrets. I didn't make an ass out of myself. I didn't throw money down the drain. I didn't end up in the hospital. All just from not taking that first drink. And I wouldn't have thought of it unless I had taken five minutes to try and put pen to paper

All this talk of working out and pulling trees sounds exhausting top! My yard is looking neglected, but I'm reluctant to deal with the fallen chunks of cactus back there. Being outside in the southwest is prickly...

Mariah, nice on the Christmas decor! So many people in my neighborhood have put up lights and it makes everything feel a little more magical.

Hi UP! Sorry things aren't sunnier but it's nice to see you here!

Hope everyone's having a good start to the weekend!
Old 12-04-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rockstonic View Post
Didn't mean to post and dash! Thanks everyone! The semester is finishing and I feel like I'm putting out fires everywhere. But nearly there. It's the weekend though so I figure I should take a breather and celebrate this one year sober thing, no? But I'm not sure how one celebrates such a thing... I don't go to AA or anything so it's kind of been kind of an inner yay and patting myself on the back more than anything. What did you guys do?
My one year kind of came and went without much fanfare either Rocks,.... I had occasionally gone to AA in 2014 , ....and continue to feel like I can go whenever ,.... but never picked up my 1 year "chip" last March .
It seemed a little awkward to pick one up once it got to be April, ...and then May !?? I may have gone to a meeting in May ,.... can never remember really,...

I do look forward to getting a two year chip at the AA clubhouse for some reason. Hopefully I won't be so lackadaisical in 2016 !

"post and dash " ,....that's really a fun expression!

I think I'll post and dash now !
Old 12-05-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I'm in for today's post and dash!

Yes, I think I had a private celebration too last year. Around that time, or a few weeks after, I did treat myself to a silent retreat for a few days. Just the fact that I'd been free from alcohol for a whole year was celebration enough, I remember feeling like a great weight had been lifted, realising that I could live very happily free from addiction. That feeling has stayed with me, gratitude? Relief? Appreciation for life?

I'm hoping to get outside to tidy up the garden this afternoon. I'm trying to become a more energetic, outdoors kind of person. Rather than felling trees, though, I'll probably stick with some gentle pruning.....baby steps.

Have a great weekend all.

Tops, only 3 days to go!
Old 12-05-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good one, bargainers

D
Old 12-05-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

You too Dee x
Old 12-05-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Sounds like it was a good day Freein !

This is the first day of "shut down" here at work ,.....the two weeks prior to Christmas week every unit is empty to allow certain annual maint. It's quiet as a mouse around here .
Good,....no , great .news ,...they left the heater for the hot tub on today !!

And I keep a swim suit in the backpack ,....!! It'll be nice not to have to wait until 2am to warm my bones up.

Was out for a couple hours stacking and cutting more of what appears to be a quarter acres of limbs lying everywhere. I thought about what Freein wrote in 2014 about overcoming procrastination,.....''... just get a little foothold in there,...even if it's just for 15 minutes''. ( that's terribly paraphrased from your original ,) ....I apologize !!

Postin'.....and dashin'
Old 12-05-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Fools off work today & good to be home. Middle Son has been sick, possibly the Nor virus which shut down a middle school this week so I cancelled having a friend over for dinner & a movie...resting & now have a bit of a headache so just goi g to snuggle in here & wAtch a movie. Will have to trek out later tonight to pick teen son up from his girlfriends. glad to be home sober