Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 23

Old 11-18-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

a little cocaine.......ha!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

These dark, rainy mornings are not inspiring at all. I've had enough of winter already, can you blow over some Sunshine Dee?
Apparently the temperatures going to plummet at the weekend too. With all this exercise I'm doing, I don't have any fat reserves to keep me warm and I still have an annoying cough

Moan, moan, moan.......
Old 11-18-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Administrator

We all need Spring or Autumn I think Freein

D
Old 11-19-2015, 02:10 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Do your best

The weather has got to me too I think I'm coming down with something my eye hurts & I'm coughing & I woke up at 9.30am that's bad for me
Old 11-19-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Administrator

Take care SW

D
Old 11-19-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Hope it'll just be a blip on the screen y'all. Holiday seasons' in the air, and apparently a virus or two.

Freein, ,.... time to hunker down ,....and layer your new bad-ass self up . Your wool garments are famous with us Yanks.

Seriously, ....I hope you and SW can get all the rest you need and feel at 100% soon !!

Old 11-19-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Yep, there's nothing for it but to layer on the woolies. I need to "man up" a bit that's for sure.

Hope you don't go down with any nasty bugs SW.

Happy Thanksgiving, Tops, hope you've had a good day.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Freein,...you're always an inspiration!
Our Thanksgiving Day Holiday is next Thur,.... a day traditionally celebrated with family, .....the modern versions include sanctioned gluttony and American football on the tele'
The giant meal is a bit off putting,...since I don't eat sugary homemade pies, cookies, cakes , and candies. And I tend to eat as much food as I can everyday anyway !?

The enthusiastic break out the Christmas lights and start their holiday shopping !! ,.......while the sane go for a long hike or a bike ride, ...or somethin' fun.

We all know what the drunks are up to !

Old 11-20-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Oh, I'm a week early! Lol.

Hope you're all having a lovely day anyway

Friday evening here. It's been a long day at work, had to work an hour over to finish my tasks. But I'm home now, and sitting in front of the fire, waiting for dinner to cook.

I heard a great quote today: "your current circumstances don't tell you where you're going, they just tell you where you're starting from"

I find that quite comforting.

I'm in for weekend bargain.

Hope everyone's had a great end to the week.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post

I heard a great quote today: "your current circumstances don't tell you where you're going, they just tell you where you're starting from"

I find that quite comforting.
Me too Freein,..

This time of year gets so, so quiet on the island. It's a good opportunity to get outdoor work done with the mild weather still hanging around. I need to get up earlier ( than, say ..noon ) with these short days,....

My upper body is sore as can be today,...was working out last night for the first time in months and months !! Still easin' back into the idea of cycling again , ...soon,.....lo,.....before it gets too cold .

Freein, ...are you still planning on cycling sometime ?

Hope everyone's having a great start to their weekend ,...
Old 11-20-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Dee,....you still making decent progress after that spill ?
Old 11-20-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Tops, oddly enough I've been thinking about getting a bike again. It was my goal early on in sobriety, and I used to be quite a cyclist in my younger days. It's just the roads here are a bit dodgy, and I'm a bit nervous about getting out there again. I need to look in to all the modern protective gear that's available now.

It's definitely on my mind, and the money I've saved by not drinking would easily cover the cost of a bike.

How about you, what's the stumbling block at the moment?

I'm having an eye test today, I'm fairly sure they'll increase my prescription. I've been getting a lot of eye strain recently. I'm not a fan of eye tests, my eyes usually feel worse after I've seen an optician!

Have a great day all, see you later.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Freein,
I guess my stumbling block is fatigue ,....lol ....and fear of further fatigue !?!

My plan is take the first 17 Monday nights off to use up every vacation day for 2016 and negotiate a reduced schedule in the early spring. Chasing around a dollar when my internal clock is this far out of whack is ' unmanageable" ...as they say.
If they had someone to cover 2 days a week, I'd use up 2 days a week for the first 8 weeks , but this place doesn't give a hoot about the two of us covering this night shift,.....it's almost like we're invisible to management,...to tell ya the truth.

I'm determined to look out for my health ,...and hold firm to the plan.

On a more positive note ,....how's everything going with all of our gang ?

Freeiany , .... are you determined on vehicular cycling, ...or could there be any alternatives ? ....in the face of " dodgy roads "

My first bike in 2010 was a hybrid,....they have a bit wider tire
(32mm) and straight bars to accommodate rougher commuting conditions. Hopping curbs and such,.... Then there's the option of off-road. My off-road tires are the crossover type with the thick smooth section in the middle for a smoother ride on pavement. The knobby profile of the tire flanks the smooth section. Have taken that bike on longer road trips where parts of the route had no shoulder and felt more relaxed completely off the road in heavy traffic. Slows it down, but saved my nerves anyway !?!
You could think of an off road like a heavy trainer ,...that way, if you ever crank a road bike , .. you'll have rocket boosters you'll be so crazy strong !

Met one avid cyclist in Spain who rode nothing ..but off-road,....a real animal with the radical elevations there !! He was around 50 and stayed on the road most all the time.

Maybe you can get some ideas from your LBS,....those folks always know what's up,..

Obo, ....you ever ride there in HK ?

How about you UP ? .... you ever ride ?
Old 11-21-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by topspin View Post

Dee,....you still making decent progress after that spill ?
I am, but there's been some more spills since then - not on the scooter, just me trying to get about best I can.

I hope I'm nearing the end of injury now top

D
Old 11-21-2015, 11:45 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Dee, I didn't know you'd come off your scooter. Hope you'll be fully recovered soon. That can knock your confidence big time too, take it gentle with yourself.

Tops, a hybrid is a great idea. I'd much prefer to be off road.
I hope you can sort that job out soon, it does sound like it's interfering with your health. Did you think anymore about looking in to UPS?
I wonder how Mariah is getting on, she would have started by now, I think.

One of the many good things about sobriety is that we can start to deal with stuff head on. Rather than denying or suppressing problems we can see them clearly, and actually try to make some decisions or changes if possible. I'm thinking of my next 5 years, wondering whether to stay in my present job, or look for something different. In 5 years time I'll definitely be able to "downsize" my job, I'll hopefully be able to work less hours, in an easier job. But 5 years where I am feels like a long time.

I'll have some time over Christmas and the new year, that's always a good time to reflect on these sorts of things.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend. I'll be visiting my parents today.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Morning all,
Just finished my workout, which I'm pleased about, because I really didn't want to get out of bed this morning. But I got up anyway, and now I feel 10 times better about the day ahead.
It would have been easy to talk myself out of it.
Hope everyone has a great start to the week.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Way to start the week off with a positive move Freein !

Arrived in Tenn. this evening ,....and looking forward to spending a few days here with family ,.....will be driving the 8 hours back Thanksgiving Day, ...to work that night , ...hopefully the interstate traffic will be light !?

Every time I come up here, I want to quit my job, rent the house , ....and move !!

Hope everyone is off to a fun week !!
Old 11-23-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Good morning,
Have a lovely time with your family, Tops.
Thanksgiving sounds a wonderful holiday. Do you know how it started?
Christmas is only 4 weeks away, I'll have some time off then hopefully.

Would it be possible to rent your house out and move to Ten, Tops? Is Tennessee where country music comes from? Sounds a special place. Big decision though.

I feel like a change too, a new job would be good, to get my enthusiasm back. I've been looking around, but nothing's caught my eye yet.
Perhaps 2016, will be a year of changes for us all (in good way of course).

Have a great day all.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Freein,
we were taught in school how the earliest settlers from the Old World ( Pilgrims ) came here and almost starved to death,......the local American Indians brought them corn,...and a some wild turkeys ( as the story goes ) and we eventually established a holiday.
The New World Europeans apparently decided at some point ,....to pursue genocide for a few hundred years while demonizing the natives for their heathenous ways. ( and very little legally recognized land rights )
I could be wrong though,......

No history student here, ...but I gather a bit of genocide wasn't uncommon for folks here and there across the globe through the centuries,...

Back to reasons to be grateful though, today .....goodness gracious,... today met all 3 elementary school teachers of my grand daughters, ....( the twins are in k )
The 3rd grade teacher is phenomenal ,..imo
He has his class shooting hoops first thing in the morning !?!
Sitting at kindergarteners miniature sized lunch room furniture always makes me feel like a giant.

Witnessing precious little children amassed in a modern school environment is something quite different. Their personalities seem to come shining through !

I'm pretty bushed,..... hope everyone stateside has a wonderful sober Thanksgiving,...and Obo, Dee, and Freein , have a Cornish hen , or somethin',.... for solidarity ( lo ) ,....naw,. ,.....just for somethin' tasty !
Old 11-24-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Those little school chairs and desks are so cute aren't they? What a great way to start classes, shooting baskets. It sounds like your grandchildren are in a great place.

My niece is having a baby in March, and I can't wait to be a Great Aunty. I'm hoping to be able to help out as much as possible. A new generation is always something to be thankful for.

That's an interesting story Tops. History is fascinating, but I wish we would learn more from it, and live in peace with one another.

Have a lovely Thanksgiving to all of our US friends. I'll be contributing with a cashew nut roast, I'm not being left out!

Having my hair cut today - it'll be cold for a few weeks..... eek!