Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 20

Old 10-21-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
How were those slow-cooked ribs Arbor? Wouldn't mind trying that if it was thumbs up.
Ribs were great Mark. The best I've ever done. First time I did them this way on the grill. Gotta grill them using the indirect method. That's key. I have a nice dry spice rub too if your interested in the recipe.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Yes, I loved the book as well...but it's one of those rare movies that is pretty true to the book, and just as much a masterpiece as the written text. Plus my mum LOVED Gregory Peck. Awesome memories for me....I actually have it here to watch again...wish we could have a movie night.
I love the movie, too, venuscat.

Harper Lee has a new book "Go Set a Watchman". I am not sure that I want to read it, though, as I have heard that it portrays Atticus Finch as somewhat of a racist. I don't want my image of him to be tarnished.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

I have Go Set A Watchman here, haven't read it yet. I am keen to read it as well, and I tend to ignore negative reviews...I trust that Harper Lee knew what she was doing with her characters. We shall see.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Let me know how you like it. It's only out in hardback here.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Ribs are another thing I just can't do. They have never, ever turned out well. At this point in life it's best to know my limitations. I can't excel at everything. That's why God made restaurants.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Ribs were great Mark. The best I've ever done. First time I did them this way on the grill. Gotta grill them using the indirect method. That's key. I have a nice dry spice rub too if your interested in the recipe.
Would love the recipe when you've got time. We've got house guests for the next two weekends and I'd like to grill for at least one meal. You said baby back right?

You guys are well-read folks....impressive. I got so tired of reading in school. Now I like books with more pictures than words.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

In school, I always resented and resisted forced reading. We were supposed to read To Kill a Mockingbird, but I'm pretty sure I just read the cliff notes version and watched the movie to pass the quizzes. :/
I enjoyed the movie back then and will put the book on my growing reading list. (My old English teacher would be so proud. Lol)

Busy night here, but all work was done in pajamas on the couch. I just finished writing my apartment manager to let them know that I will NOT be renewing my lease for the 11th year because I'm FINALLY moving. Woohoo!!! It's a little scary, but super exciting.

Drooling for some ribs now... It was cereal for dinner night here. Venus, don't laugh....I used paper bowls. You know I had to!

Luv yall!
Old 10-21-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

All I can say is that I hope you recycle all of that paper Conquest!!

And awesome on the email...this is all getting very exciting huh?
Old 10-21-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Hi guys, sorry, I didn't even realize I hadn't posted in a while. I'm a little distractible and my sense of time is a little whack at the moment thanks to my awesomely defunct brain, but it's all good.

I majored in English and then taught high school English for a while, so I've read just about every damn thing and actually rarely read anymore. I did read the trilogy that starts with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, which was very good.

Tomorrow is school picture day. Which means that today is officially pick a fight with the cat day. Oh well. I'm just glad I miraculously found her silver dress shoes. Right where they ought to be...under the couch.

Dinner tonight was chicken noodle soup from scratch with French bread. A favorite around here but requires advance planning to pull it off mid week. Worked out well this time. Would have liked to have made the bread myself too, but didn't quite plan that well. I'm calling it a big win anyway.

Anyway, all is good here as I hope it is with everyone else.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:48 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Dinner sounds divine love, and I'm sure the school photos will go well. ♥
Old 10-22-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

All recyclable, no worries. Recycling is one of the perks of living in this little spot. They pick it up at your door twice a week and other trash daily. It's a luxury that I'm happy to let go of. We'll have curb pick up at the house every week.
Enough rambling.
Soup sounds fantastic, Briar! And it wouldn't be a proper picture day without silver shoes, so I'm glad they turned up.

How was the new workout, Mark?

Anyone else still amazed by the quality of sober sleep? It's like I don't move a muscle once I'm out until the alarm clock makes me. Such good stuff.
Stay well, sweet friends!
Old 10-22-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Good morning and happy Thursday gang.

House guests arrive today.....should be fun.

The new workout feels new for sure. The change in morning schedule makes me feel off but the extra sleep is nice. It's good to shake it up a bit in the gym I guess. There were more squats etc in the new routine and frankly my rear is burning today. Gonna be an effort to walk normally today! If I can get some results from this I don't care. When I hit 50 I want to be looking and feeling good....I'll submit my pics and then start eating donuts.

Wishing all the gang a nice day.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Hi guys, sorry, I didn't even realize I hadn't posted in a while. I'm a little distractible and my sense of time is a little whack at the moment thanks to my awesomely defunct brain, but it's all good.

I majored in English and then taught high school English for a while, so I've read just about every damn thing and actually rarely read anymore. I did read the trilogy that starts with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, which was very good.

Tomorrow is school picture day. Which means that today is officially pick a fight with the cat day. Oh well. I'm just glad I miraculously found her silver dress shoes. Right where they ought to be...under the couch.

Dinner tonight was chicken noodle soup from scratch with French bread. A favorite around here but requires advance planning to pull it off mid week. Worked out well this time. Would have liked to have made the bread myself too, but didn't quite plan that well. I'm calling it a big win anyway.

Anyway, all is good here as I hope it is with everyone else.
That trilogy was fantastic, wasn't it, Briar. I was sorry to learn that the author died.

You made me laugh with your statement of finding the silver shoes right under the couch right where they ought to be.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Good morning, afternoon, evening, Octsobers.

May peace, joy and good health await you today.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Oh, a book I have read! I read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! I loved it. I knew the author had died, but did not realize it was a trilogy. So, now I have two more books to get excited about! I thought the first book was where it ended. How ignorant of me. I liked the movie for that as well. For such a detailed and long book, they did it well.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
Oh, a book I have read! I read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! I loved it. I knew the author had died, but did not realize it was a trilogy. So, now I have two more books to get excited about! I thought the first book was where it ended. How ignorant of me. I liked the movie for that as well. For such a detailed and long book, they did it well.
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Played With Fire

Both very good.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Well, I ended up starting Eat, Pray, Love for a light read and Zealot cuz I'm curious. They were free downloads from the public library. So far, both are pretty engaging.
Just got back from my first run/woggle in nearly two weeks. It feels good to get that back into my early evening. Couch time now, watching Modern Family, and wondering if I may just have another cereal night, nice and easy.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Gray's Anatomy and Scandal night! However, it may have to wait, as we have homework/test drama. I think daughter is better off if I leave her to do her thing, though. I shared my opinions on her time management and it did not go over well. There were tears.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Aw. Sorry to hear that Phoebe That's not fun for anyone.

I'm procrastinating housework pretty hard tonight... Putting on Grey's and Scandal!
Old 10-22-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Greys, Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder and Bones later for me...waiting for them.

Hope your daughter will be OK phoebe love; she probably had tears because she is upset with herself and knows you are right. Maybe a nice bowl of ice cream to go with her studying?

I'm SO glad to hear you getting back your bounce Conquest. Now, can you please pass some over here? I actually just bought Barocca in the supermarket. It's a Vitamin B and C fizzy energy drink.

I took my mum to see Eat Pray Love when I was caring for her. She no longer understood a lot by then, but she SO loved the scenery in that movie. So did I. It's a beautiful memory.