Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 3)

Old 05-24-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Daria, glad you made it back in and glad the one didn't lead to ten this time. Does anyone in the family you were with tonight know that you have a problem with alcohol?
Old 05-24-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Did I do that?? I think you may be crediting me for the sober memory and I'm not sure I said that, though I did ask for details. Anyway, I'm glad you got chills and will remember that you DID make some sober memories today.

What up with the move? Nothing exciting, just have to leave where I'm renting cause of a rent increase and nothing really included in the cost of the rent. Before cable and internet was included, now it went up $75 and I have to get my own cable. I have been living without that but paying $20/month to the people who live upstairs just to hitch a ride on their wifi. But I just can't afford this place on my fixed income. It's now $975 and I bring in less than $1,800/month. Tough stuff.

So where I'm going is a partially subsidized apartment home for elderly and disabled individuals. That was hard to swallow but I am only looking at it as an affordable pit stop. I'll stay for 2-3 years and then move on. Life is full of so many twists and turns. There's no telling what's around the bend, but you have to have some sort of action plan. This is mine.

The apartment is clean, safe, quiet and I could do a hell of a lot worse. I'll post some pics.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Daria, sorry you caved. Why'd you go to a brewery? If it were me and I caved, I'd have made it count.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Wow! This forum only accepts little pics? Mine are way too large. Not sure how to fix that. Oh well. If somebody can tell me how to get around that, I'd like to show the apartment.

Anywho, it's 10pm here and I'm closing out another sober day. Feeling anxious though and when I read that someone else has given in, it makes me wonder when and if I will be making such an announcement here. I know I'm human. Anytime I've ever gotten cocky, it's turned around and bit me in the ass, so I can't take that stance anymore.

Goodnight, friends. (((((HUGS!)))))
Old 05-24-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

We were out and about sightseeing and the only restaurant open on a Sunday evening in the small town we were in was the craft brewery. So that's just where we ended up for our meal. My H doesn't think I have an issue. Mostly because I don't drink every day, I'm not physically addicted, and worst case scenario is I get stupid and have 4-5 drinks, but that's normally only when I'm at home. Usually out at restaurants, I'll have 1-2 with my meal and stop there. Only real danger for binging for me is if I'm at home or at a house party and there's alcohol readily available just sitting there. Then in my head it becomes "drink all the alcohol!" lol. I probably shouldn't laugh at that, but that's honestly what it becomes... I'm this...

ETA: I don't think I've ever had more than 5 drinks. I'd be passed out waaay before I could get to 10. lol. Usually by 4-5 I'm done. That's enough to knock me on my ass. Not that that's healthy or an OK amount and has been enough for me to embarrass myself on more than one occasion.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

Anywho, it's 10pm here and I'm closing out another sober day. Feeling anxious though and when I read that someone else has given in, it makes me wonder when and if I will be making such an announcement here.
Oh, goodness! Please don't let me make you feel nervous or anxious! I'm me and you're you... and just because someone else slips up that doesn't mean you will!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

Anywho, it's 10pm here and I'm closing out another sober day. Feeling anxious though and when I read that someone else has given in, it makes me wonder when and if I will be making such an announcement here. I know I'm human. Anytime I've ever gotten cocky, it's turned around and bit me in the ass, so I can't take that stance anymore.
This is where the old mantra of "one day at a time" comes in handy for me. I accept the gift of sobriety for today, but I also know it's just that: a precious daily gift that I have to take care of and treat with the utmost respect.

Taking care of it means posting in here and trying to connect with other recovering alcoholics.

It means listening to the words and wisdom of people who've been in my position before.

It means not going to bars or other places or situations where I might be tempted to drink.

It means not telling lies or being sneaky or devious in any way.

It means being financially responsible and not living above my means today.

It means paying attention to my body and mind so I can hopefully recognize any warning signs that might be leading to a drink.

And, most importantly, it means not taking that first drink today no matter what.

If I do all this stuff today, I'm positive I'll wake up sober tomorrow and then I can worry about what I need to do to keep that precious gift of sobriety one more one more day.

As far as posting pictures, I put the couple that I've shared on Photobucket and then copied the image link from there. I didn't even realize we could attach pictures (even of a limited size) directly here until you just said something about it.

Sleep good Cissy and congrats on another sober day! You are a shining star and I always am happy when I see you've posted something new in here.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Daria, I remember now that your husband isn't an alcoholic and doesn't understand that alcoholic urge to drink all the drinks once you start. Important part is you recognize your problem and want to stop. I hope tonight was just a hiccup and you'll be prepared ahead of time next time a situation like this arises.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Looking back at the week, I pretty much set myself up for failure. My resolve started out strong, but after the following it was shot by the time I walked in that brewery tonight:

Tues - anniversary dinner out, resisted getting wine w/meal
Fri - dinner out at restaurant that serves alcohol, didn't drink
Sat - dinner out at Irish pub, didn't drink
Sun - craft brewery, caved and got a beer

So yeah, shockingly, I would not recommend doing this.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Your comment about me being a shining star made me think of this. Had to share the smile you gave me.

We're all shining stars!!! I love SR. I don't have any better place to be.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by DariaM View Post
Looking back at the week, I pretty much set myself up for failure. My resolve started out strong, but after the following it was shot by the time I walked in that brewery tonight:

Tues - anniversary dinner out, resisted getting wine w/meal
Fri - dinner out at restaurant that serves alcohol, didn't drink
Sat - dinner out at Irish pub, didn't drink
Sun - craft brewery, caved and got a beer

So yeah, shockingly, I would not recommend doing this.
Yeah, what's the old saying? Hang around the barber shop long enough and you're gonna get a haircut.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

Linking pics is the best way for big pics Cissy, like Casey said:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...our-posts.html

welcome back Daria

I kinda underestimated what I'd need to change in my life for recovery to be ongoing. I think it's a pretty common pitfall?

D
Old 05-24-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hey everyone
Old 05-24-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey hugsandcupcakes! Welcome to the Class of May 2015. Glad you decided to join us! How's your weekend been?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hey yes I am joining my weekend is great! I have wanted some wine this weekend and thought oh maybe just a glass or two but I didn't! I have been studying for a test and drinking lots of water and lemon. Did some baking and Doing good how are you?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome hugsandcupcakes

D
Old 05-24-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks D
Old 05-24-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

What are some of everyone's goals for the summer? I think that for me I do well when I have something I'm working towards. My goals are to take dance classes and get better at running!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Re-Member

My weekend has been very nice and low-key. Thank you for asking. Just what I needed actually. I never even left the house today. Just lazed around reading a book and watching television along with a whole lot of reading and posting on this website. Cooked a big but healthy lunch and then had a good PB&J sandwich for dinner.

As far as summer goals, I don't know that I have a bunch but I am starting a new job tomorrow so one of my goals will be to get acclimated to that. Of course, staying sober is a goal. I've been looking at various local addiction counselors, thinking some face-to-face recovery time might be good for me. I also want to move into a bigger place at some point in the near future. If I get that done, I want a dog. Something big and friendly. So I guess those are my goals for the next few months.

What kind of dance classes are you thinking about taking, hugsandcupcakes?

Going to go lay in bed and watch tonight's Game of Thrones and then get some sleep. Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread today. You are all the backbone of my sobriety! Sweet dreams everyone.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi all, welcome hugsandcupcake. It's morning here and I've woken without a hangover so that makes it a great morning. Off to hide in my man cave today and get some work done on my motorbikes. We have the local duck race today in the village so I need to get away from temptation. Hope you all have a wonderful day, my thoughts will be with you all.