Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 3)

Old 05-24-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks! I found a baby duck rescue place that is open for 10 more minutes today. I will try that.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
Thanks! I found a baby duck rescue place that is open for 10 more minutes today. I will try that.
I'm such a sucker for little baby things. Hope you have luck with this place.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

No answer. My husband left a message. Hopefully they call back. Poor little guy. He just keeps chirping.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Oh Allie I feel for you. Keep us posted as you can.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by realE View Post

Sometimes mother ducks leave the weakest one's for a reason. That is very sad, but a reality I am afraid. My best advice is not to let your dtr get attached
She isn't too attached. In fact she went to a friends house and left us here to deal with her discovery. Teenagers right?
Old 05-24-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Aww! Fill up the kitchen sink and let him bob around in there for a while, then take him out, give him a little towel time and find him some little worms out in the yard (do they eat bugs?) I would have a really hard time parting with it myself. Always had a thing for ducks since I was little. If he's imprinted on you, he's going to spend the rest of his life getting back to you. Can you keep the little babykins?

I never heard that the mother duck will leave weak ones behind. I just thought if the family kept shrinking, large mouth bass were picking them off one at a time. Well, you'll always remember this Memorial Day. The time little Quacker came to visit.

I feel "stuck." I knew I needed to get stuff done today but I just was so stationary. Inertia's got a hold on me and it won't let go. It takes a great force to overcome inertia. Not sure what the force is but I hope it shows up tomorrow! I can't worry about if the people who live upstairs see what I'm doing and figure out that I'm preparing to leave. I have to just go about the business of getting ready and if they ask me questions, I'll just deflect.

I'm so jealous that you went kayaking today!!!! Was it on a river? Tell me more.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

She isn't too attached. In fact she went to a friends house and left us here to deal with her discovery. Teenagers right?
Teens can be great. Hope you can get to the chicks' discovery.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks Kale, the link is really helpful. This was so not on my agenda for the evening. LOL.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Man, if there's anybody thinking at all about drinking tonight, there are a couple of threads going on in the rest of this newcomers forum involving active drinkers that are really giving me a good reminder of how bad the drinking can be. It's some real eye-opening stuff to look at sober. I feel for those folks and don't ever want to be like that again.

I'm truly grateful to be sober today and to be surrounded by you good folks who want to help me. Thanks to each and every one of you!
  # 50 (permalink)  

Just finished day 4. Bad dreams last night, a very long nap this afternoon but I'm finally over the major withdrawals, and I'm trying to find a pleasant moment or moments each day. For me, in addition to reading everyone's posts, my pleasant moment is realizing I won't have to wake up wasted tomorrow morning, struggle with each step, finding simple things like taking a shower difficult and giving up by hitting alcohol and trying not to drink too much in the morning so I should ok making up an excuse not to go to work. NEVER AGAIN!!! Day 5, I welcome you with sobriety.
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks Kale, the link is really helpful. This was so not on my agenda for the evening. LOL.
I know, you tender-hearted thing, you. I can so relate.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey, you wanted something to keep you busy this weekend...well, now you got it! ;-)
Old 05-24-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 0520Hamilton View Post
Just finished day 4. Bad dreams last night, a very long nap this afternoon but I'm finally over the major withdrawals, and I'm trying to find a pleasant moment or moments each day. For me, in addition to reading everyone's posts, my pleasant moment is realizing I won't have to wake up wasted tomorrow morning, struggle with each step, finding simple things like taking a shower difficult and giving up by hitting alcohol and trying not to drink too much in the morning so I should ok making up an excuse not to go to work. NEVER AGAIN!!! Day 5, I welcome you with sobriety.
I'm so glad, Hamilton, it'll only get better and better. Mornings become so much better, over and over with time. Keep at it, my friend.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

IDK if the mother leaving the baby is an old wives tale or fact? But, my baby duck drowned in the bathtub - in like an inch of water because he was too weak to make it. I'm kind of traumatized, but that was years ago. We did have great success with a pigeon that came back every year after his wing healed. So who knows.

Allie - for some reason I thought your dtr was younger. I told you guys, I can't keep up Hopefully that duck makes it til the shelter gets with you. But, who knows maybe you will keep it

Cissy - You're funny. I loved your "plan an outdoor wedding, must be a real gambler" phrase earlier. So "May the Force be with you". I'm not a Stars Wars fan, but it cracks me up to say that phrase in a funny voice for some reason. Seriously, I don't know the details of your move, but some days are just not as productive as others.

Our "adventure" was on a creek actually. So with the water down we got stuck a few times. LOL. Very cool to see the fish as we floated along. Catfish, carp. We floated past a few drinkers too. Just floated along. I'm terrible at describing the actual day. Warm, but you float in and out of the sunshine because of the trees. And the sky was gorgeous blue, with fluffy clouds. I stared up once and tried to find a shape in the clouds like when I was a kid, but I was scared of running into a rock or another canoe, kayak. LOL. Lots of people out today. It was super nice and while we go about once a year as a family. Today was pretty special just me and my dtr, like the end of school year treats I do for her when I have my head together

So what' up with the move?
Old 05-24-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Our "adventure" was on a creek actually. So with the water down we got stuck a few times. LOL. Very cool to see the fish as we floated along. Catfish, carp. We floated past a few drinkers too. Just floated along. I'm terrible at describing the actual day. Warm, but you float in and out of the sunshine because of the trees. And the sky was gorgeous blue, with fluffy clouds. I stared up once and tried to find a shape in the clouds like when I was a kid, but I was scared of running into a rock or another canoe, kayak. LOL. Lots of people out today. It was super nice and while we go about once a year as a family. Today was pretty special just me and my dtr, like the end of school year treats I do for her when I have my head together
QUOTE]

Sounds so lovely, hope you have many happy memories of this.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 0520Hamilton View Post
I'm finally over the major withdrawals, and I'm trying to find a pleasant moment or moments each day. For me, in addition to reading everyone's posts, my pleasant moment is realizing I won't have to wake up wasted tomorrow morning, struggle with each step, finding simple things like taking a shower difficult and giving up by hitting alcohol and trying not to drink too much in the morning so I should ok making up an excuse not to go to work. NEVER AGAIN!!! Day 5, I welcome you with sobriety.
Hi Hamilton - I'm glad the withdrawals are better! Congrats on day 4!!
Old 05-24-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Cissy - I am slow, but you just made me realize that I did create what will be a sober memory. I have chills. Thank you soooo much!
Old 05-24-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

And Kale for noting it was actually a memory I made. Thanks everyone. And Casey is right there are lots of folks out there struggling. Stay strong! Good night.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Welp, I'll be back on Day 1 again tomorrow. I caved at dinner tonight (we were at a craft brewery with family for the holiday weekend), and I had a Hefeweizen. I knew 100% what I was doing and that it was going to reset my count, and yet I just really didn't want to be that odd man out not having a drink. For some reason I rationalized it to myself because I knew I'd just be having just the one with my meal.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Hey, you wanted something to keep you busy this weekend...well, now you got it! ;-)
Funny how that worked out huh?