Notices

On My Way #2

Old 06-29-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Calitano, I'm sure the week can't be finished fast enough.

I sometimes drive myself nuts planning and hosting, but please remember to enjoy those celebratory lunches.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Spent the day with my son at a zoo; lots of fun. Lions and tigers and bears oh my! He'll probably meet some friends tonight, but I'm staying home with my wife. Tomorrow is a different story as there's an outdoor concert in a local park that will be followed with fireworks. We'll be attending with friends and will be picnicking beforehand, as we always do. This means that there will be alcohol involved, but not for me. :-)
Old 07-01-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Enjoy your day!
Old 07-04-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Got through two social events this week; Wednesday was the outdoor picnic and fireworks I wrote about and last night I got together with some friends to watch a broadcast of the Grateful Dead's show from Soldier Field. Potluck dinner tonight at a friend's house and then town fireworks.

Safe and happy day to all.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too GC

D
Old 07-04-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Thanks Della and D!

I've been home from the party and subsequent fireworks for about 45 minutes and will soon be hitting the hay. All is good. My main impetus for writing is because I want to clarify a phrase that I used earlier today as well as in the past, namely some version of "got through", when describing some social event that I did not drink at. After further evaluation I think the term connotes that there's a struggle involved and I've overcome when my reality is that I'm not struggling and am enjoying myself as much as I ever did when out with friends and/or family. Maybe I'm nitpicking; maybe I'm not, but I wanted to clarify in case there was some misunderstanding.

Good night SR.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

GC, it is great to hear that 'got through' has turned to 'enjoyed'. I remember how great that experience was - still is!!!!!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
GC, it is great to hear that 'got through' has turned to 'enjoyed'. I remember how great that experience was - still is!!!!!
Since last Wednesday the only day I have not been at a party/festive atmosphere was last Thursday. Since the potluck dinner and fireworks on the 4th, we hosted a small party yesterday afternoon, and on a whim went with my wife to the beach this afternoon which was followed by a seafood dinner. Five situations and five sober situations. :-) Going forward the balance of the week is going to be more normal, meaning we'll be home every night.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

As expected a quiet evening at home tonight is in the cards. We have a lot of basil growing so I just finished making basil infused pasta that will be served with seared shrimp and basil pesto that I made earlier. Side will be a salad and my beverage will be club soda.

The balance of the weeknights should be similarly quiet; on Saturday we're having some friends over for a 6-8 person backyard party. Menu to be decided.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Yum! Sounds perfect for this weather!
Old 07-07-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Yum! Sounds perfect for this weather!
I can't wait for our tomatoes to ripen because nothing is better than straight from the garden tomatoes and basil. Throw in some fresh mozzarella and EVOO and as simple as it is, it's heaven.

Della, dinner was a big hit and I may make the pasta/shrimp/pesto dish as a hot appetizer on Saturday. Decisions, decisions....:-)
Old 07-07-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I agree I rarely eat tomatoes out of season because I only like them fresh.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Did someone mention tomatoes ripening on the vine???? I'm on my way!!!!!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
I agree I rarely eat tomatoes out of season because I only like them fresh.
I'll sometimes get the smaller varieties like cherry or grape out of season, but it's very rare for me to buy something like a beefsteak.

Did someone mention tomatoes ripening on the vine???? I'm on my way!!!!!
From the looks of it we're going to have a nice yield this year. My wife tends the garden and I think she planted three different varieties and we usually have some heirlooms.

Last Night

The evening went as planned and I was in bed before 10. In about 20 minutes I'm driving my son to work and then I'll go to the gym for about 45 minutes.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

GC, tell your wife to stay on guard. Della and I may appear in the thick of the night and raid your tomato plants!!!!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

GC, tell your wife to stay on guard. Della and I may appear in the thick of the night and raid your tomato plants!!!!
LOL!

This Morning

I had a very solid lifting session at the gym. Dinner tonight is going to be grilled pork loin and a salad. After dinner plans are the same as last night.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Had a good run this morning even though I went to bed later than I originally anticipated. That I got out early before the temperature rose helped. Tomorrow I'll be lifting.

I have some alone time tonight; my wife is meeting some friends for a girls' night out dinner and dear son is working. Dinner for me is going to be a rib eye grilled with a small amount of mesquite wood and a side of roasted asparagus. After dinner I'll probably read until my son comes home around 9. I'm also going to finalize my menu for Saturday's party. Most of the shopping has been done so at most I'll be making tweaks and not wholesale changes.

That's all I got. :-)
Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

The weekend update is that all is well. A quiet evening at home on Friday, a very fun dinner party Saturday night, and pretty much a lazy day today. The only negative is that I had a horrifically bad run Saturday morning; not a disaster because I didn't get hurt, but my breathing was really bad and I had to take way too many walking breaks. Gym session with my trainer tomorrow in twelve hours so I'm off to bed and hopefully get a good night's sleep.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

How are you, GC?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

How are you, GC?
Wow, it's been a week since my last post here. SL, I'm doing well. Staying sober, nutrition has been fine, getting my workouts done, and a few days ago adopted a puppy.

We're going to an Irish music/cultural festival with my BIL's family today; temps are supposed to reach 95F/35C so along with food we'll be bringing gallons of water, which will be my beverage of choice.