Notices

On My Way #2

Old 05-23-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
I think a certain amount of cockiness is beneficial.
What I was trying to articulate was that I'm confident, but not taking anything for granted. Just as when I'm at the starting line for a marathon, I'm confident that I'll cross the finish line (always have), but know that it's going to take a determined effort and I'm going to have to overcome times when my mind and body are screaming at me to stop moving. Maybe not the best analogy, but I'm confident I'll be here Tuesday being able to talk about a sober weekend yet I know at some point or points it's going to take a determined effort to accomplish that.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Everything worthwhile takes effort. I think that's a good thing so we don't take it for granted. Have a wedding today at a lovely venue with great food. I am looking forward to the food since I don't have to worry about calories from alcohol
Old 05-24-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Everything worthwhile takes effort. I think that's a good thing so we don't take it for granted. Have a wedding today at a lovely venue with great food. I am looking forward to the food since I don't have to worry about calories from alcohol
Have a wonderful time at the wedding.

Yes, there's a satisfaction knowing that one tried his/her best and achieved the desired objective. The key is trying your best; nobody can ask more of someone than that and it's what I've always told my kids. Demanding that they ace a subject they aren't strong in, make a team in a sport they don't have the talent for, or get chosen for first chair for an instrument in the school orchestra, etc. was never the standard they had to meet. Sure, positive results are great and often putting in the effort is what separates those who achieve from those who don't, but often raw talent is a limiting factor. No matter how hard I studied I could never have been a medical doctor, but I worked hard enough in high school and college to get A's and B's in my science classes. Same with sports; I played basketball and baseball, but no matter how many hours I practiced I had no chance of playing for a college team. Okay, I know I've strayed from the core concept as it relates to SR so getting back to that, at least for me sobriety is work and it's worth it.

Last Night

Fine time last night and really didn't have any urges. Most of the eight had some alcohol, frankly I really wasn't paying attention, but it wasn't as if there were shots being lined up and people were getting stupidly drunk. A beer here, a glass of wine there was more like it and I doubt anybody noticed or cared that all I drank was water. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a similar scenario this afternoon.

A few days ago I wrote about my exercise plan for the long weekend and with one day to go I've kept to what I wrote because I went on a 17 mile bicycle ride this morning. My wife and I have already talked about what time we'll be hitting the gym tomorrow morning before heading into Manhattan.

Thanks SR!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Enjoy, Della!!!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Have a wonderful time at the wedding.

Yes, there's a satisfaction knowing that one tried his/her best and achieved the desired objective. The key is trying your best; nobody can ask more of someone than that and it's what I've always told my kids. Demanding that they ace a subject they aren't strong in, make a team in a sport they don't have the talent for, or get chosen for first chair for an instrument in the school orchestra, etc. was never the standard they had to meet. Sure, positive results are great and often putting in the effort is what separates those who achieve from those who don't, but often raw talent is a limiting factor. No matter how hard I studied I could never have been a medical doctor, but I worked hard enough in high school and college to get A's and B's in my science classes. Same with sports; I played basketball and baseball, but no matter how many hours I practiced I had no chance of playing for a college team. Okay, I know I've strayed from the core concept as it relates to SR so getting back to that, at least for me sobriety is work and it's worth it.

Last Night

Fine time last night and really didn't have any urges. Most of the eight had some alcohol, frankly I really wasn't paying attention, but it wasn't as if there were shots being lined up and people were getting stupidly drunk. A beer here, a glass of wine there was more like it and I doubt anybody noticed or cared that all I drank was water. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a similar scenario this afternoon.

A few days ago I wrote about my exercise plan for the long weekend and with one day to go I've kept to what I wrote because I went on a 17 mile bicycle ride this morning. My wife and I have already talked about what time we'll be hitting the gym tomorrow morning before heading into Manhattan.

Thanks SR!
All good, GC, all good.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
All good, GC, all good.
Thanks SoberLeigh.

Even though I'm fairly early in my journey I'm glad that I've been able to navigate social situations and not have to stay away from them. If need be I would have made and will make modifications to my social calendar, and I know people who have had to go that route, but so far it's working out well.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Another successful social engagement. My biggest issue was that I was thirsty and drank too much water. All is good and I'm looking to lifting weights tomorrow before meeting my cousin and sister.

Thanks SR!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I agree I think I would find sobriety rougher if I didn't continue my social life and engagements. I like people and I don't expect everyone to quit drinking because I have. I have no problem going out to dinner or out to see a band. I do stay away from activities that the main focus is drinking. I isolated a lot when using so it would be worse for me to stay home a majority of the time.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I agree I think I would find sobriety rougher if I didn't continue my social life and engagements. I like people and I don't expect everyone to quit drinking because I have. I have no problem going out to dinner or out to see a band. I do stay away from activities that the main focus is drinking. I isolated a lot when using so it would be worse for me to stay home a majority of the time.
Yes and yes.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

My sister should be here in about ten minutes and then we're off to Manhattan. I'm bringing a water bottle and wherever we dine I'll be sticking to either water or club soda.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Just a great day in Manhattan with my wife, my sister, my cousin, and his husband. We walked about eight miles and had an early dinner where I made a good choice. There was French fries with truffle dressing that someone ordered involved, but as I could see myself eating that person's entire order of fries my limiting myself to what I did is called victory. The only liquid I consumed was the water I brought from home and plain water at the restaurant. Three of the five of us had an alcoholic beverage, nobody had more than one, but I was perfectly happy with my choice and am glad I can come here tonight and write what I have.

I'm planning on running tomorrow after meeting a friend for breakfast.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

My pneumonia is hopefully in the past, but my asthma is still kicking around, which doesn't surprise me. Unfortunately, so is my leg swelling as well as some other lower leg developments and after speaking with my GP today I was once again "squeezed in" due to effort on her part to see a vascular surgeon tomorrow.

I'm trying not think about what the medical professionals talked about which culminated in me seeing this surgeon on one day's notice, but it's another stress inducer that, ironically I can't relieve with my over three decade go to stress reliever: exercise. Yep, doctor's orders. Furthermore, there's some serious family drama going on in my wife's family that we just found out about today. We'll talk when she gets home and then unlike me, she's going to go to the gym to work it out in a healthy manner. Wish that was an option for me; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that while I may not get a resolution tomorrow I'll be cleared to run/cycle, and lift weights again.

Factoring in my hiatus I'm still relatively new on SR so anyone reading my writings this year must think that I'm just in poor health, but aside from my breathing issues and this swelling I have not seen a doctor for anything other than a routine check up for decades unless it involved an injury. Broken ankle, torn rotator cuff, partially torn wrist tendon, and a hip flexor are four that come to mind.

Thanks for "listening".
Old 05-26-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hope you can get to the bottom of this very soon, GC. I don't do well with the unknown hanging over my head, either.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hope you can get to the bottom of this very soon, GC. I don't do well with the unknown hanging over my head, either.
Thanks SL. Fortunately I have my wife who is acting as my ballast, just as I did this afternoon with her when she called me with the troubling family news I referred to before.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

There to be each other's rock - very good stuff!!!!!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

There to be each other's rock - very good stuff!!!!!
I'm very fortunate. She's truly my best friend.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

That's the way it should be!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

That's the way it should be!
It's one of the reasons I chose the signature that I did. Unfortunately, I remembered the statement, but not who wrote it.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Della, how was the wedding?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

It was a great wedding with really good food. Always the food with me! I had a little meltdown after though. I had a really embarrassing DWI and this was the first big event I have attended since. 300 of my closest friends lol. Small town stuff you know. People were wonderfully supportive but I felt kinda like a goldfish. I am glad I went for my friend and hope future events will be easier now that this is over. Sorry to take over your thread but thanks for asking