Blogs

Notices

On My Way #2

Old 05-20-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
My pulmonary function test was Monday; I flunked; I have very significant obstruction.

My appointment with the pulmonologist is tomorrow.

This is discouraging as I have NEVER smoked so I fall within the 10% of COPD sufferers who never smoked. I do have asthma which is triggered by pets (most especially cats) and bronchitis from the flu.

While my GOLD score is bad, I am hoping for a decent overall BODE score.

I'll know more tomorrow.
I'm very sorry to read that you didn't have the results you desired. Wishing you a lot of positive news tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks, GC.
The Following User Says Thank You to SoberLeigh For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I am sorry SL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Della1968 For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (05-20-2015), SoberLeigh (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks, Della.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am just now back from my appointment. I liked the pulmonologist very much.

Several things:

Yes, my pulmonary function test results were not good.

However, my doctor suspects that the PFT results may not be a true baseline; suspicions are based on the severity of my recent bacterial and influenza illness which followed closely a viral bronchial illness a few months earlier, and from which I have not fully recovered. Additionally, my asthma has not fully been restored to my pre-illness baseline and significant asthmatic-type lung irritation remains.

My doctor said that the practice has seen quite a few asthmatic patients presenting with the same symptoms and complications after this season's flu epidemic.

Two new medications (an inhaled corticosteroid and a different fast acting inhaler) were prescribed. I am to try this new medicinal regimen for two months and then repeat the PFT for a true, and hopefully much improved, baseline.

Fingers crossed and prayers to God (not necessarily in that order or priority).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoberLeigh For This Useful Post:
Della1968 (05-22-2015), Gonnachange (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update. There's positivity in your post and I hope that your new medicinal regimen is effective.

My Day So Far

I'll spare everyone the details, but about a week ago I started to exhibit symptoms of having either congenital heart failure or blood clots. When my asthma recently returned I saw a cardiologist as part of the process of determining what was going on so I know that my heart is fine. A couple of days ago my GP wanted me to take a test for blood clots and I got the results this morning. Unfortunately, they were positive. I've spent a lot of today being "squeezed in" to my doctor's and radiologist's appointment schedule while also being told not to do anything strenuous. So once again no run. The good news is that the test I took this afternoon, which is more accurate than the first one, did not show any blockage and I'm no longer restricted from any activity. Guess who will be lifting weights tomorrow morning? Why the symptoms are happening remains a mystery, but I'm confident that we'll determine what's going on.

Stressful day? You bet. Did my AV try to seize the opportunity to convince me to have "just one to relax"? You bet. Did I have anything stronger than club soda. Nope. :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
Della1968 (05-22-2015), SoberLeigh (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Thanks for the update. There's positivity in your post and I hope that your new medicinal regimen is effective.

My Day So Far

I'll spare everyone the details, but about a week ago I started to exhibit symptoms of having either congenital heart failure or blood clots. When my asthma recently returned I saw a cardiologist as part of the process of determining what was going on so I know that my heart is fine. A couple of days ago my GP wanted me to take a test for blood clots and I got the results this morning. Unfortunately, they were positive. I've spent a lot of today being "squeezed in" to my doctor's and radiologist's appointment schedule while also being told not to do anything strenuous. So once again no run. The good news is that the test I took this afternoon, which is more accurate than the first one, did not show any blockage and I'm no longer restricted from any activity. Guess who will be lifting weights tomorrow morning? Why the symptoms are happening remains a mystery, but I'm confident that we'll determine what's going on.

Stressful day? You bet. Did my AV try to seize the opportunity to convince me to have "just one to relax"? You bet. Did I have anything stronger than club soda. Nope. :-)
So glad it wasn't congestive heart failure and, in the end, no blood blockage either.

Good question - what the heck is it????

Good job sticking to the club soda; alcohol would just muddy the processes of elimination, too.
Gonnachange (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

So glad it wasn't congestive heart failure and, in the end, no blood blockage either.

Good question - what the heck is it????

Good job sticking to the club soda; alcohol would just muddy the processes of elimination, too.
For most of my adult life I've been very healthy, but the past 18 months have seen me going to too many doctors and taking too many tests. There will likely be some more tests to figure out what's going on with my swelling, but knowing that I'm not at risk for the two biggies is comforting as well as knowing that don't have any physical restrictions.

Good point about the alcohol; this is definitely a process of elimination and I don't want the results being skewed because of alcohol. Or anything else
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
Calitano (05-21-2015), Della1968 (05-22-2015), SoberLeigh (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hope the news continues to trend up SL & GC.
Take care of yourselves…

As a child I remember my grandmother always with the "your health is your wealth' phrase. Used to drive me crazy. Now - I totally get it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calitano For This Useful Post:
Della1968 (05-22-2015), Gonnachange (05-21-2015), SoberLeigh (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calitano View Post
Hope the news continues to trend up SL & GC.
Take care of yourselves…

As a child I remember my grandmother always with the "your health is your wealth' phrase. Used to drive me crazy. Now - I totally get it.
That's a great phrase. As always, age has a way of changing our perspective.

Definitely a scare the past few days despite all my healthy eating and daily exercising. That I can exercise is huge and my plan for the next few days is to lift weights tomorrow for a hour, run probably about 5 miles on Saturday, cycle for about a hour on Sunday, and then lift Monday morning before meeting my cousin in NYC.

My plan for tonight is to read more of my book club book and then watch some baseball. Drink of choice is lemon flavored water.

A big burden has been lifted and although there is no resolution I'm in a good place. SL, I hope you are also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
SoberLeigh (05-23-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Well I am glad the news is encouraging for you both. Now we just need to find out what the hell is up with you guys!!
Gonnachange (05-22-2015), SoberLeigh (05-23-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Well I am glad the news is encouraging for you both. Now we just need to find out what the hell is up with you guys!!
Yes, we do.

I don't know if it is all in my head, but my lungs feel better after just two doses of the inhaled steroid and I seem less symptomatic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoberLeigh For This Useful Post:
Della1968 (05-22-2015), Gonnachange (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Ain't that the truth. :-)

Yes, we do.

I don't know if it is all in my head, but my lungs feel better after just two doses of the inhaled steroid and I seem less symptomatic.
Glad to read that you're feeling better.

This Morning

Last night went as planned and I was in bed about ten which is early for me.

Unlike SL, I'm having a bad breathing day today, but I didn't let it stop me from going to the gym to lift weights. I can't say that it was a stellar performance, but I did what I could. Unfortunately I faded so much toward the end that I didn't do everything I wanted.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Going out in a short while with my wife and a buddy. Wherever we go there will be alcohol served, but I'm really not concerned. Club soda for me.

I'm not sure what we're doing for dinner, possibly at home, possibly not, but regardless my plan is to not make it a late evening.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
SoberLeigh (05-23-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Ain't that the truth. :-)

Glad to read that you're feeling better.

This Morning

Last night went as planned and I was in bed about ten which is early for me.

Unlike SL, I'm having a bad breathing day today, but I didn't let it stop me from going to the gym to lift weights. I can't say that it was a stellar performance, but I did what I could. Unfortunately I faded so much toward the end that I didn't do everything I wanted.
Have you been tested for allergies, GC. I saw on the news recently that this year's 'pollen tsunami ' is aggravating the condition of many asthmatics and causing/triggering asthma even in those who have never suffered from it. Is your AC turned on?
Gonnachange (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Have you been tested for allergies, GC. I saw on the news recently that this year's 'pollen tsunami ' is aggravating the condition of many asthmatics and causing/triggering asthma even in those who have never suffered from it. Is your AC turned on?
Great question and while I have not gone to an allergist since my current breathing problems flared up, forty years ago when I suffered from asthma I also had allergies to ragweed, pollen, dust, etc. Maybe because of age my sensitivity has been heightened, but the symptoms are different because I am not coughing, sneezing, wheezing, or have itchy eyes. Still, it's something to consider and will talk to my GP about it when I speak with her next week. Thanks for your suggestion.

AC turned on? Very rarely so far and, believe it or not, my heat came on yesterday. C'mon, it's almost Memorial Day. :Sigh:
Dee74 (05-22-2015), SoberLeigh (05-23-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

We are supposed to get a frost tonight ugh sigh and grrr.
Gonnachange (05-23-2015), SoberLeigh (05-23-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

We are supposed to get a frost tonight ugh sigh and grrr.
We got down to about 50F last night and will do the same tonight. high today is about 67F.

Last Night

We wound up staying at the restaurant longer than anticipated and having dinner there, but I stuck with my plan to have club soda and I was in bed before 11 so all is good.

I should have been done with my run already, but I got side tracked. I'll probably lace 'em up in the next hour.
Della1968 (05-23-2015), SoberLeigh (05-23-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Went with my wife for a 4 mile run that was harder than it should have been. Too many heavy leg exercises yesterday.

Being out for part of happy hour and then dinner last night was an easily passed "test" which I will use to build upon because I have three more coming up. Tonight we're going to a barbecue across the street, tomorrow we're going to another one, and Monday we're meeting my cousin in Manhattan for either a late lunch or early dinner. Not to sound cocky, but I got this.

The person my wife and I were out with last night is hosting the party tonight and although he's normally not a big drinker he had more than his usual consumption last night. I spoke with him a couple of hours ago and he still wasn't feeling his best. I, on the other hand, had just as good a time last night as he did and was feeling quite fine this morning. :-) For the record, my wife was fine also.
Della1968 (05-23-2015), SoberLeigh (05-23-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I think a certain amount of cockiness is beneficial.
Gonnachange (05-23-2015), SoberLeigh (05-23-2015)