Notices

On My Way #2

Old 05-13-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Glad to hear the good news GC.
Take care of yourself though!!! Pneumonia does not sound like any kind of fun…
Old 05-13-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calitano View Post
Glad to hear the good news GC.
Take care of yourself though!!! Pneumonia does not sound like any kind of fun…
Thanks about the nodule; it is indeed good news. I've never had pneumonia, but know enough that it can be very serious stuff. Now that it's been diagnosed you can be sure I'm going to be on top of it. Coincidently I have a long time scheduled appointment with my general practitioner tomorrow for a routine checkup and will talk to her about it also. Other than people here, there only ones that know so far are my wife and sister and both were shocked. Their reactions were almost identical and echoed the pulmonologist's surprise that I could somehow will myself through a ten mile race. Just goes to show what the mind can do.

Tonight

I seem to do better when I write about my nightly plans, if not in action than in resolve so I'm going to take a play from yesterday's playbook and write that I'm planning on an evening similar to last night. Dinner in a little while, then some reading, and relatively early to bed. I may peek in on some sports, but there's a good chance the television will not be turned on. For the most part, the nights are better when it's not although I'll make some exceptions for sports. Priorities and all that. :-) Speaking of priorities, only water or club soda tonight, which I guess is the most important item I wanted to mention.

Busy day tomorrow which will include a morning run so I have additional incentive to make only good decisions tonight. In addition to the run, work, and the aforementioned doctor's appointment I have a few tasks to attend to that relate to us being away from Friday morning to Monday afternoon when me, my wife, our son, and our daughter spend time together celebrating my daughter's college graduation.

I'm never sure what's the appropriate level of personal stuff to write about here, but as my sense is that the overriding principle of SR is to do what keeps one sober then I'll assume I'm in accordance with established protocols even if I'm probably at the edge. As always, thanks for "listening".
Old 05-13-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Learn to proof read.

"I seem to do better when I write about my nightly plans, if not in action than in resolve so ..." Should have been I seem to do better when I write about my nightly plans both in action and resolve...

Sorry for the screw up.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Phew thought I lost the thread. This is one of my keeper threads too. Good news about the nodule. Yucky about the pneumonia glad it didn't hit you hard!! SL crossing fingers for good results for you next!
Old 05-14-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks, Della!!!!!
Old 05-14-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Phew thought I lost the thread. This is one of my keeper threads too. Good news about the nodule. Yucky about the pneumonia glad it didn't hit you hard!! SL crossing fingers for good results for you next!
Hi Della. Thanks for stopping by and for the good thoughts.

I had a long list of things to accomplish today and with the exception of my run and packing for our time away I've now gotten them all done while somehow having a productive day of work. I love it when everything clicks.

I'm a little nervous about this weekend from an SR perspective. It's going to be very emotional and while the academic celebrations will be alcohol free there are going to be dinners and such that we'll be either on our own or with friends and given that it's going to be 2.5 days of it and no access to SR I would not be surprised if my AV tries to join the festivities. That I'm aware of possible difficulty I think will help me make the right decisions if/when the time comes.

My game plan for tonight is to pack after dinner and then read. I want to go to the gym tomorrow and the only way that's going to work is if I'm there by about 7. Definitely doable.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am free this weekend; you can leave your AV with me.

Keep your list of reasons why not to drink handy and close by for easy reference; refer to it if necessary. My bet is that you will be fine and strong and not need to refer to the list.

Enjoy this special time, GC.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I am free this weekend; you can leave your AV with me.

Keep your list of reasons why not to drink handy and close by for easy reference; refer to it if necessary. My bet is that you will be fine and strong and not need to refer to the list.

Enjoy this special time, GC.
The list is a great idea! I'm going to write one tonight and stick it in my wallet. I'm not sure why, but your post also reminded me of something; something that made so much sense to me 40 years ago and while it's still as true now as then I've forgotten the message.

I love listening to music both at home and at concerts and although alcohol was not a foreign substance to me when I was a teenager I never drank before a live show because I knew it would dull my senses and appreciation of the artists I was about to see. Somehow I've strayed from that, but I know the concept I so fully understood at 16 applies to all parts of life and I am determined to not dull the emotions I'll be feeling this weekend with alcohol. Simple and true and it's going on the list you suggested I write and also into my sobriety toolbox.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
....it's going on the list you suggested I write...
I wrote the list for the weekend and it's already tucked away in my wallet. There was only one entry: Make sure you feel every emotion to the fullest. There are no second chances.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hope the weekend is going well! My daughter graduated college yesterday. Damn I am old!
Old 05-17-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to your daughter Della

D
Old 05-17-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to your daughter Della

D
Old 05-18-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I wrote the list for the weekend and it's already tucked away in my wallet. There was only one entry: Make sure you feel every emotion to the fullest. There are no second chances.
Great list; GC. Hope you had a great weekend - full of good memories and the truest of emotions.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hope the weekend is going well! My daughter graduated college yesterday. Damn I am old!
Congratulations, Della!!!! Feel pride not age.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Congratulations Della!

I got through the weekend as planned. There were definitely times when I felt moments of weakness, such as at dinner on Saturday, but for the most part I didn't have much trouble. And, although I had it in my wallet at all times, I never had to physically pull out the list that SoberLeigh suggested I write and carry with me.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Great going, GC!!!!!!!

Hope you had fun, too.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Great going, GC!!!!!!!

Hope you had fun, too.
Thanks SL! Yes, I had a wonderful time and the long weekend was extra special because my son was able to be with us.

The school has a rich tradition of graduation pageantry in addition to the commencement ceremony and they were a lot of fun to witness. We had some downtime and used that to walk around as well as move my daughter from her dorm into the house she'll be renting a room in this summer while she's taking grad school classes.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

So glad you had a lovely time.

SL when is your appt?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

SL when is your appt?
IIRC, it's either today or tomorrow.

Was an early evening last night as I was pretty tired from the weekend's activities. Hit the gym this AM for a solid workout mainly revolving around deadlifts.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

SL when is your appt?
My pulmonary function test was Monday; I flunked; I have very significant obstruction.

My appointment with the pulmonologist is tomorrow.

This is discouraging as I have NEVER smoked so I fall within the 10% of COPD sufferers who never smoked. I do have asthma which is triggered by pets (most especially cats) and bronchitis from the flu.

While my GOLD score is bad, I am hoping for a decent overall BODE score.

I'll know more tomorrow.