Notices

Class of March 2015 Part 2

Old 03-13-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpiritOfDjinn View Post
Congrats on this whole thing! Eight nights is awesome. Fending off the offered drinks is HUGE! But, I can't help but think that perhaps you should avoid that place? I mean it's one thing if your server suggested it without knowing your situation and then took the hint when you said no. But to pressure you like that? That's a bit much. But you said no again and again which is phenomenal! You were tested and stood your ground. Good for you!
I agree. I won't be going back for awhile. Tonight I stay home, watch TV and not be tempted. Hoping I'm not craving too much tonight. Thanks Spirit!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hello folks!

Day 1, my daughter's birthday - not one to easily forget.

Reading through this site, I'm getting a tiny bit of hope that it's possible for me to stay sober.

I'm in the UK so there's a bit of a time zone thing, but I'm gonna make checking in part of my daily routine.

It's good to see so many people on the road to recovery!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Day 11
Today is the 5th day my oldest child has been home very sick, she is only now getting better. Today is the 3rd day my 3 year old has been very sick, lungs filled with stuff, 102 fever, can't sleep, burning up, stomach-ache, head ache. Last night was the worst and I was up with all 3 kids for different reason (most involving sickness), TEN times!
Can you imagine getting up ten times for needy children while drunk or sleeping off a drunk? I can't!
After one instance and I laid back down I had to thank God. Like 'Wow, God, you had this planned right didn't you? I had some good solid days of sobriety down before the first sickness hit"
Amazing, so thankful to Him!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
Day 11

Can you imagine getting up ten times for needy children while drunk or sleeping off a drunk? I can't!
Congratulations on day 11. I remember needing to take my child to the ER one night about 2am. Luckily, I was sober, but it hit me like a ton of bricks how often I had made myself unable to provide basic protections and care because of my drinking. I am a parent. I have responsibilities. Drinking needs to go.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnotherLife View Post
Hello folks!

Reading through this site, I'm getting a tiny bit of hope that it's possible for me to stay sober.
Welcome! It is absolutely possible for you to stay sober. Stay engaged here and ask for and follow the advice given here. You can do this!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by kelle96 View Post
I'm back again, I've tried so many times to do this and I hated AA..
Welcome back! Glad to have you!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by AnotherLife View Post
Hello folks!

I'm in the UK so there's a bit of a time zone thing, but I'm gonna make checking in part of my daily routine.

It's good to see so many people on the road to recovery!
Welcome! Happy to have you! I hope you find your time here as inspiring, helpful, and friendly as I have.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Day 11
Today is the 5th day my oldest child has been home very sick, she is only now getting better. Today is the 3rd day my 3 year old has been very sick, lungs filled with stuff, 102 fever, can't sleep, burning up, stomach-ache, head ache. Last night was the worst and I was up with all 3 kids for different reason (most involving sickness), TEN times!
After one instance and I laid back down I had to thank God. Like 'Wow, God, you had this planned right didn't you? I had some good solid days of sobriety down before the first sickness hit"
Amazing how His plans seem to fall into place like that hey? I hope your little ones get well soon. It's rough when they get really super sick like that. Always hurts your heart to see them so miserable. But hey, at least you are there for them 100%! I can only imagine how great that feels for you!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post

Congratulations on day 11. I remember needing to take my child to the ER one night about 2am. Luckily, I was sober, but it hit me like a ton of bricks how often I had made myself unable to provide basic protections and care because of my drinking. I am a parent. I have responsibilities. Drinking needs to go.
I've had those same thoughts. How absolutely lucky I've been to not have some kind of emergency to deal with while $#!+ faced... Horrible feeling when those thoughts occur. But hey, we have our sobriety to look forward to and each other to lean on right?
Old 03-13-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpiritOfDjinn View Post
But hey, we have our sobriety to look forward to and each other to lean on right?
Absolutely! The second best time to plant a tree is today!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Not feeling well. Waves of panic and anxiety keep washing over my head. My stomach hurts and I honestly don't even know if it's because of anxiety, hormonal fluctuations, or having eaten too much. I'm inclined to think it's the first, because this has happened before family get-togethers at least once in the past. Tonight and tomorrow I will be with my entire family, all day, with many large meals planned---my family's Saturdays essentially revolve around food, which has always driven me crazy. With my stomach and anxiety the way they are, I can't even imagine eating.

I don't know how I'm going to make it through tonight and tomorrow. I just can't wait for break to be over so I can go back to my own secure little life. I want my stomach to stop hurting and I want this anxiety and panic to stop hurting and I want to feel ok and strong and calm and loving and good and excited about spending this time with my family---whom I love, at least I think I do, but honestly my feelings are so hard to read I don't even know. I want I want I want...and I can't find a way out of this cluster@#$%.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a great weekend guys
Old 03-13-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Day 1. Smh. I'm at the park with the kids. Its beautiful and 70 degrees. Maybe this time I can let the whole album play instead of starting the first song over over and over and over again. Blech.

I ran today and think that will be instrumental in my recovery. There is a half marathon in October that I will be training for. I used to love running when alcohol didn't control my life. Only 2 miles today. Baby steps lol.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Day 1. Smh. I'm at the park with the kids. Its beautiful and 70 degrees. Maybe this time I can let the whole album play instead of starting the first song over over and over and over again. Blech.

I ran today and think that will be instrumental in my recovery. There is a half marathon in October that I will be training for. I used to love running when alcohol didn't control my life. Only 2 miles today. Baby steps lol.

Welcome Bbfly. Good to see you on the boards again.
Exercise always has helped me with the anxiety, and the depression I suffer from.
Glad you are having a good day 1 at the park, with the kids.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happytobealive1 View Post
Not feeling well. Waves of panic and anxiety keep washing over my head. My stomach hurts and I honestly don't even know if it's because of anxiety, hormonal fluctuations, or having eaten too much. I'm inclined to think it's the first, because this has happened before family get-togethers at least once in the past. Tonight and tomorrow I will be with my entire family, all day, with many large meals planned---my family's Saturdays essentially revolve around food, which has always driven me crazy. With my stomach and anxiety the way they are, I can't even imagine eating.

I don't know how I'm going to make it through tonight and tomorrow. I just can't wait for break to be over so I can go back to my own secure little life. I want my stomach to stop hurting and I want this anxiety and panic to stop hurting and I want to feel ok and strong and calm and loving and good and excited about spending this time with my family---whom I love, at least I think I do, but honestly my feelings are so hard to read I don't even know. I want I want I want...and I can't find a way out of this cluster@#$%.

Happy, sending positive thoughts your way. Anxiety can do a big number on you, I know because I suffer from this myself. I believe you have the strength to get thru this outing. We all believe in you. If you feel you just can't tho, could you cancel? Avoiding triggers are key, they say, in recovery. I can't avoid mine unfortunalty, I have to live with them. Its a real challenge, so I understand your anxiety. Praying for you.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post

As hard as a brand new "Day 1" is, don't dwell on it too much. Maybe enough to pick out what worked to keep you sober and what didn't. Otherwise, just let it go. Speaking from my own personal experiences, no good can come from hating yourself for failure. Welcome to The Marching Band!
Old 03-13-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Day 11
Way to go Artic! Yes I believe God does watch out for us all. So sorry about your kiddos. My grandkids are going thru a bout of a tummy virus now, and strep throat as well.
Hope your family gets well soon. Proud of you for being there for them.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Checking in for the morning. Not doing so well and trying to get some traction again.

I hope everyone else is having great sober Fridays!
Jazz, sorry you are struggling. I have, and still do very often. I totally believe we can find our way again. We have to keep trying. Good to hear from you.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by happytobealive1 View Post

Anxiety's a tough nut to crack. It's one of those things that seems to creep up on you even after you think you have it under control. Worse is that AV piggy backs on anxiety and tries to trick you. Don't fall for that one.

You said in your post that you actually want to spend time with your family. That being said, why do you think time with then makes you anxious? Are they judgemental and mean? Does it have to do with how deeply food is tied to family gatherings?

I think if you could find the cause of your anxiety around them, you could bring it down a few notches. Or maybe just talk to them about it. Just let them know the way you feel and ask for their help.

In any case, I wish you the best! I hope you can find some peace and enjoy some time with your family.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Just trying to catch up on all the posts. As I said in my earlier post today, sometimes I spend too much time on the boards. I love SR, it is a very good community here, and the support is awesome.

I just sometimes need to take a step back from thinking and talking about recovery so much. And just do it! SR has become a daily reprieve for me, but I have found it to be a little obsessive for me, at times. This is just my personality trait, I believe. But I'm thankful and grateful to share my experiences with others, in the hopes it will help them, and myself as well.

Thanks class.