Old 03-02-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome sandwich

D
Old 03-02-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Turned down a drink!

Day 2 and out for dinner. Hubby asked if I was having a drink (he doesn't know here or trying to quit- I can't somehow bring myself to that honesty with him as I'm so afraid of disappointing him. He doesn't know the degree of my problem as I hide it so carefully and well). Anyhow, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I mustered up a 'No'! This is the start. It felt really good. And it felt amazing to leave dinner 100% mindful and knowing I won't forget conversations we had tonight and have to lie my way through remembering them down the road. Yay!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

LaViva, I haven't told my husband yet either (day 2) and he asked if I wanted wine when he got home and I said no thanks.

Eventually this conversation will have to be had.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll find a way to tell him LaViva. He may be even more disappointed if you don't share this with him?

D
Old 03-02-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Day 2 - Ready to be a Marcher!

Hi everyone!

I was here with an attempt to quit drinking last July, and I didn't make it much past 2 weeks! I was still convinced of the easier, softer, way in trying AGAIN to modify my drinking. Since then I have noticed how afraid I was of my drinking! I wanted to do it and be normal, but I never was! I decided I needed to surrender and agree with many who said that its easier to have NO alcohol than to moderate. I felt a sense of relief when I made the decision (again) on Sunday morning, after a Saturday night of wine, wine, and more wine, that I couldn't go on like this! And, lucky for me, the last nail in the coffin was running into an old 'bar' friend (who knows several people I know) and relayed a story to me of something awful while blacked out drunk, 2 weeks before! My only saving grace with that horrible shame was that, I needed to hear that to solidify my surrendering to my powerlessness over alcohol, and was so glad it didn't involve my driving drunk - which I was doing more and more of. I never want to worry about that and all the other problems I created for myself by drinking. Anyway, very happy to be here. I plan to participate in this forum and to attend AA meetings. I hope everyone is having a blessed day/evening!
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome DreaJean

D
Old 03-02-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Pea ... it's so hard! I don't know why. We love each other. He's healthy, supportive, amazing. I think that's why I don't want to tell him. Bizarre as that sounds ... I want him to see me as healthy and well ... ugh. Perhaps we can find the strength together. Well done tonight! Doesn't it feel great?!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Welcome DreaJean! You can do this!!! I too, have thought that I could get this under control MANY MANY MANY times for YEARS. I'm so glad that I found this forum. Marching on!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Just conquered the grocery store....walked down the beer and wine sections and stares for a while....amazes me how the urges is sooo strong....I felt like an addict....I coped by buying a bag of chips, something I don't generally buy. Now just got make it at home ....reaching out
Old 03-02-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Well done LJJ ... savour your chips and think how amazing you will feel tomorrow, starting the day fresh, internally clean, and strong for your choice tonight. You got this!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good job lumberjackjim!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

End of Day 2. Did a lot of cooking today and some reading. Rained all day so it was a good day to stay in. Drank more coffee and green tea than normal as a substitute for beer. It worked for today. Another good day. We will see what tomorrow brings....

Good luck to everyone in the class....we are all in this together.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hi, Hope you don't mind me joining u all here! I am at 6 days sober today. I am a binger. Today was a real struggle to not drink. Lumberjackjim- I am laughing about the chips because today I went out and bought a bunch of food to take my mind off drinking tonight. I figure if I am full I wont want to drink. I think I may have a food addiction now, lol. I have been doing fine with cravings until yesterday and today. It is that 5 day point that I want to break because I tell myself oh come look your not that bad, you just did 5 days, so go on and drink. Stupid AV. Tomorrow will be a full week and I do feel better emotionally already. Hope that sticks.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Well done everyone!

Start of day 2 here. Well the hangover and sickness has worn off....good and bad thing. Good that I don't feel like crap, but bad that it will make it harder for me to resist tonight now. Going to get kids to school and visit a friend, so I won't go back to bed this morn and be awake bored half the night. I'm thinking this is the key to success here....it's just following through with it.

Good luck today everyone.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Morning of Day 3 sober. Got paid last night, had an instant urge to start calculating what booze to buy and how much of it should I get in order to feel 'really gooood'. Didn't go to the store, didn't spend any of my money yesterday, actually. Put a small smile on my face, because it's the first time in years that I managed to hold off this urge to spend money as soon as I got some - most times, a large sum of it went on booze as well. Glad to break that habit for the first time. Couldn't have done it without SR - instead of going to the store, came here and read stories about other people

Have a great day everyone and enjoy your sobriety! I went for a walk in the morning, then to the store before they start selling alcohol and made myself a nice healthy breakfast. It sure is nice to wake up with a clear head.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

...okay, just tipped the last of the booze still in the frij down the sink.

Got some dinner started.....dvd's, books to read. Chocolate, tomato juice.

Still a potential clean 28 days left in March. 28 days....seems to be my chapter length at the moment . But want another one...January was so much better than this...
Old 03-03-2015, 01:41 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's never too late to start Chapter two

D
Old 03-03-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

....thanks Dee.

Just have to get back into the groove that I had there for a little while....
Old 03-03-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to all the newcomers - it's great to have an active thread.

No matter how many times you've tried this before, there's absolutely no reason why this time can't be different.

I tried for 15 years to give up booze...but really for most of those years I was trying to live with booze and not have the bad stuff happen.

I can't do that. Alcohol and me are a bad mix. Once I accepted that, things got a lot easier

For Max and anyone else struggling, the first few days can be hard, but it will get better guys. I promise

D
Thanks for your posts. I love this one especially, Dee. I think I have been trying for 15 years as well. I'm beginning day #3. Yesterday was hard. I wanted a beer (or 5) so many times; but it was good that I was at work and had an evening work related activity where there was no booze. It kept me busy until 9 pm. I still wanted a beer, but had something to eat and then went to bed. I agree that eating or drinking juice helps with the cravings. Thank you all for your posts, the support really helps!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

The Marchers of 2015! Welcome to each one of you whether you are new to SR and/or new to sobriety.

Two years ago (almost) I came to the thread of March 2013, I met the best people and I got sober. You can too.

Whatever your DOC, "take it off the table" to quote Dee. Once it's off the table you can then make the decisions to live the rest of your life.