Notices

Class of March 2015

Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happytobealive1 View Post
Edit: Just saw 360shoes' amazing post. Thanks so much. That was exactly what I needed to hear. Any practical tips on how to ride the waves for the next few weeks?
Hi,

I am also from March 2013, there are many things you can do to ride the waves. I stayed here and read for a few hours on quite a few nights. I also printed out some of my first posts and put copies everywhere I would be, my office, my dashboard (got a dui, but could still drive to work, certain appointments) I got and stayed active with my Marchers Class. The main thing was to think more ahead, instead of thinking solely about tonight, I would think ahead to tomorrow, how would I feel? Would I rather be hungover and guilty or refreshed and looking forward to another day sober?

Those first few months I got a lot accomplished. I painted my home, tiled the kitchen and bathroom and worked on the yard. My lanlord liked what I did so much she cut my rent down $50.00 a month.

Keeping your mind occupied, for me, was the biggest key to my early sobriety, and like my classmate and friend Shoes, I dont even recognize the person I was two years ago and am glad not to be him anymore.

Keep up the good fight, and stay strong
Ken
Old 03-03-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Stick close to your classmates Happy.
It helps so much to ride that roller coaster with people going through the very same things. And we all did in the beginning.

When I first joined, I felt myself holding back sometimes. When I let go and just shared how I really felt, it started getting real. I just spoke from my heart and kept it talking about my experience. But I got honest.

There were a ton of things I did. I told myself I was willing to do anything. And I meant it. I would have superglued my lips to a wall if I had to. That's how unhappy I was. I hated myself. I was sick of hating myself.

I truly believe that the choices I make today..right now...create my tomorrow. I love walking up feeling good about myself. Drinking never once gave me that. Ever.

If anyone ever needs a lift...pop in Marchers 2013. We would be happy to let you know there is life after drinking and using. We are a nice bunch who rode that wave too.

Give yourselves a break. Your doing good. It's hard at first but it gets better. It will not always feel this hard. Really.

xoxo
Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You're going to hear this phrase often: "Here Walk Titans"

We,and that includes you, are Titans. It takes a lot to beat this curse. It takes Titans.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
When I first joined, I felt myself holding back sometimes. When I let go and just shared how I really felt, it started getting real. I just spoke from my heart and kept it talking about my experience. But I got honest.
And trust me, she did TALK !!!!!! And we all love her more today for it!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Day 7! A whole week! Done it before though so I know this is not the greatest accomplishment. I think the most I have been sober in the past 15 years was 12 days. I may have said two weeks though just to make it sound better back then. lol.
Today was hard, very hard actually. Had a pretty bad day. My son got a referral at school. He is diagnosed as having autism, well actually pdd which is not actually autism anymore (the criteria has changed on the last couple yrs) So every day is a struggle with him especially at school. I always dread picking him up because I don't know what the teacher will say he did that day! I had to do some other things today too and they just set me off. My AV was ringing off the hook let me tell ya! I had to have a talk with my husband about how I felt and we both talked ourselves away from the bottle. He us an alcoholic as well. I really cant believe I am not drunk right now. I really thought about giving in today. So glad I stood my ground!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Needtostopthis: Congrats on 7 days and on not giving in.

Classmates: Today was my 3rd day in a row sober. Haven't had real intense cravings yet, but I'm sure those will come. I've been drinking a lot more coffee than usual and eating more. Went to a hockey game tonight and was surrounded by people buying and drinking beer, but I wasn't tempted. I never drank much when I would go out anyway, always alone.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

I guess this is where I sign up?

March 4, 2015
Old 03-03-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Loveline

D
Old 03-03-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Loveline

D
Thank you,

I'm not really sure what the next step is. I know a little about "recovery" because of my family history but feel a little out of my element. Willing to take any suggestions
Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Administrator

Joining here is a good start. Read around, get a feel for what others are doing to help them stay sober

I didn't use anything else but SR but there's a variety of real world help too, like AA or another recovery group, seeing your dr for help, or a counsellor...all the way up to inpatient or outpatient rehab

D
Old 03-03-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Dear Marchers,

It is great to hear both from those who are in the throes of doing it, as well as from those who did it and are done and are wearing the T-shirt.

I could not get past three hours of sleep again so here I am again, wearing out the welcome mat.

But this momentary discomfort just brings a smile to my face, because it indicates a nervous system transition to a repaired condition that is going to feel like a million bucks.

Mel
Old 03-04-2015, 01:23 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

It's my fourth day of sobriety and I'm feeling anxious today. It's slowly creeping in, because I have to go to a work/staff meeting tomorrow. I never went to work drunk, maybe have been there a couple of times with a slight hangover - but I work in a rather 'secluded' office, meaning my roomie is usually not there.
Thing is, as the job allows, I basically don't have to always be there in person - but I think I've abused that opportunity on occasion, to stay home and 'rest'.
As far as I know, I have no 'work debt', meaning everything that is supposed to be done on time, has been done on time. The anxiety is still very strong. Have you guys ever had that? How'd you deal with it or overcome it?
Old 03-04-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think anxiety is very, very common in the early days kkik

It helped me to think of it as a by product of my mind and body healing, rather than me being particularly worried about things?

These kinds of breathing exercises help me:
Breathing Exercises

D
Old 03-04-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Had two days, but I did not make it through yesterday. We had an ice storm, so work was cancelled, but I went in anyway and worked a full day. It was hard, but I faced many things that I did not want to and got caught up with one project.

Came home and thought I deserved a "treat." Three beers later, I was eating house and home. Then my family friend came over to cut my hair and I'm sure she smelt the beer on my breath. Didn't sleep well, ate too much, embarrassed myself. Why can't I just learn? Why do I think that the next time will be different?

Didn't want to post, but I have too. I want to kick this in March. I need to make a list of the things I should have done when I got home to celebrate other than alcohol.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

.....well MiffyDee, start again today and you can still get four weeks in March.

Anyway that's what I told myself.

Mel12.....that's a good way to think about the lack of sleep. I find that hard in early days too.....terrible, strange dreams.

G'nite Marchers......till tomorro.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Welcome to all Marcher 2015 members! I'm another Marcher 2013 stopping by to welcome all of you. I'm a bit of a slow learner .... I actually joined SR in May 2012 but kept relapsing and joined the Marchers 2013 for a fresh start. I still kept relapsing until early August 2014. Now I'm almost 7 months sober.

As humiliating as it felt to stay here throughout my relapses, I'm so glad I did! Some people will get sober using just SR; others like me need much more help. I eventually was in an intensive outpatient treatment program. My fellow Marchers have made all the difference for me in learning to stay sober and change my life. They have been amazingly non-judgmental, supportive and helpful.

When you struggle, just remember that many have traveled similar paths. In my opinion, there is nothing that beats being solidly sober. SR is a very safe place to do this.

I wish you all the best in becoming and staying sober. It will change your life immeasurably for the better!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Administrator

Remember we're always here if you want to stop the inevitable cycle MiffyDee

D
Old 03-04-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kkik5 View Post
Early morning of day 4. Weird to say this, but I was awake the whole day yesterday, from 6 a.m to about eleven in the evening - somewhat new for me. Previously I always had to take a nap sometime during the day. Plus the wake-ups weren't at 6-7, more like 10-11 (if possible).
For me, one of the worst physical effects from alcohol was the unstable sleeping. Ruined many days for me. Feels good to not have that constant foggy and sluggish feeling.
This also proves that the 'days are long when sober'. Need to find something to do with those hours.
This! With bells on. Feel a depression lifting by not lying in bed all day and seeing some daylight.

Day 3 today. Feeling really good. Fate steeped in I think. Last night I was worrying about what to do at 9pm when my DH starts drinking. Well this morn I had my first physio apt post injury and have lots of work to do. I asked did I have to do it at any specific time of day and she said no, just whenever I have spare time. Guess what I'm doing at 9pm ;-)

Good luck to everyone today. Have a happy and peaceful one.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Just so it didn't get lost in last post:

Wishing all new joiners a very warm welcome.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Hello all. Waking up feeling fresh and ready to start my day. Just had a decaff hazelnut coffee, yum. Had to give up caffeine many years ago, for health reasons. Bothered me at first, but I adapted. Need to accept this kind of thinking, about the drinking.

Well its day 3 today. Congrats to everyone! Let's keep moving forward.
I so love how former Marchers pop in sharing their stories, and journey. It motivates me to keep going, and gives me much hope.

So let's go out there today, and do good! Have a great day folks.