Class of October 2014 Part 11

Old 02-28-2015, 02:30 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

I have a song for us. It's very meaningful to me right now; I hope you like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVu41Vsthg

Old 02-28-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Good evening V,

Never thought I'd be listening to Springsteen before dawn. His Born in the USA album was huge back when I was a young buck. I hope you'll rest well this evening.

Great to see a positive note in your post Briar. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Time for a cup of plain black coffee and then gym time.... I never realized until I started using this site how boringly predictable my routine can be. But works for me! And I'm sober!

Have a great day gang. What's everyone up to?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

I'm ready to grow young again
No retreat no surrender

What a beautiful, powerful thought. Thanks so much for sharing, Venus. I'll keep this with me today. Hopefully, you're resting now. If you're struggling to sleep, try this: Julie Andrews, Stay Awake. It gets me every time.

From, I love my boring morning routine! No shame in sober game, right?

(((Briar))) Feeling relieved and happy for you, sweet lady!

Arbor, I'm happy dancing for your break from snow. Phew!

Slow to start this morning, but a little coffee should do the trick. I've got a lot to do, and just want to lay around... No retreat and no surrender today!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Several years ago, I had some stone left from the pool project. I laid out a path and never finished the project. I was drinking heavily on the weekends and didn't get much done.

This is a shot from this morning. I am project oriented guy and am focusing on certain outside projects to outwardly represent to me my journey to get my personal life in order.

This project will likely take several weekends because I'm gonna do it right.

Last edited by Mark1014; 03-01-2015 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

It will be fun to watch the progression of your project, from.

I have heard that said that alcoholism is a disease of neglect - of ourselves, of others, of things around us, of the future.

Here's to us, our progress and our futures.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

So I removed all the stones and am digging out three feet wide and six inches deep. Now off to lowes for the sand and gravel I need as the base. Plus I'm getting vitamin D!

ps....of course I encountered a drainage pipe from the gutters. Will have to work around it.

Last edited by Mark1014; 03-01-2015 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

You are not letting any moss grow under your feet, from. Wow.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

That's some serious hard work, From! I'm sure it's going to look fantastic. Every time you look at it, you'll feel so proud of the path, figuratively and literally.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Hey gang. Thanks Conquest. I'm a tired puppy....and my back hurts. But I like getting dirty and working when the weather is nice.

How are you feeling today V?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Looks awesome FAD. That is hard work for sure. We have a nice field stone path that leads to our front door. The rocks are huge. It took two men to move each of them around. I'll have to take a photo when the snow melts.

Busy day over here. Was nice to have the day to myself for once. No wife. No child. Those are rare treats!

Hope your doing better today Venus.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Are you feeling any better today, venuscat?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Goodnight, Octsobers. See you tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Hi guys. ♥

I had to work...and I woke up this morning completely miserable.
I forced my broken coffee machine to pump out one last coffee (it's really, really dead now), took some ibuprofen and hit the shower.

I don't have the 'flu. I'm pretty sure it was a combination of bad cold and nervous breakdown. I joke, but I am serious. Perhaps a breakdown can cause physical pain...I don't know.

I do know that the walking and sunshine helped a great deal.

Love to everyone.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Morning gang....up and at 'em!

Leigh....how did we ever get along without you around here?

V....Glad to hear it's not the flu. But I do think that a day of marked distress can result in feeling like a cold. Do you have a short term plan for your budgeting until the bigger pieces fall into place? For example, a cousin in Dallas recently lost her job. She is making extra cash by pet/house sitting while folks are out of town. After doing that once, word got around and she has had many other opportunities. She enjoys it and may keep it up once her next 'real' job comes along. Around here a really busy time for lawn and garden businesses is spring and fall. They hire seasonal help for the rush. Temporary agencies can be a good option to help find extra income and also can provide the opportunity to work in many different places and perhaps lead to more full time work once you finish school. I own a business and it's not uncommon to have a need for someone to come in and help on a particular task while allowing my staff to attend to their regular duties. I know you're understandably discouraged and scared V, but there just has to be a way to bring in some extra short term revenue to ease your immediate needs so that you can focus on the big picture.

Arbor, that walkway of yours sounds great. My stones are just irregular fragments. I can only imagine what a chore it was to level the big stones You've got. What fills in the space between the stones on your walk? I think I may use pea gravel.

I look forward to hearing from all the Octsobers today.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Congratulations, fromadistance, on five months of sobriety!!!!

Old 03-01-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Good day, everyone!

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling a little better Venus. I know first hand that stress can manifest in physical ways. My stressors usually show up on my face as monster zits. I've even named them before. Lol
Other times, I've ended up with flu-like symptoms, just achy, tired, clammy... Stress is pretty powerful. That's why we've gotta just keep taking care of the things that we can control or influence and letting go of the things that we can't control. It's all we can do, ya know?

In church this morning, a pretty lady that looked like she'd lived an especially hard life (I say that respectfully. Sometimes, you can just see it when you look at a person, ya know?), sat in front of me. The scent of vodka and stale cigarettes was overwhelming. Throughout the service, she took several sips from a water bottle that only added to the smell... It hurt my heart and I wanted so badly to hug her and tell her about our online community. After thinking and praying about what to do, I decided to simply smile and introduce myself. I told her I was new there and had enjoyed it the last few weeks. She told me she attends regularly so hopefully, I'll see her next week too. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll get the opportunity to share with her. For now, I think reaching out as a new friend was a good thing.

The struggle is so real. I was reminded of that this morning. And I'm so thankful and hopeful for each of us. Please keep at it friends! Big hugs all around
Old 03-01-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Conquest, that was such a warm and caring thing to do this morning in church. It may be no coincidence that she found herself seated in front of you today. Ah, life.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

5 months, FAD!!! ***airhorn***

Old 03-01-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

I missed the date announcement, FAD, but congrats on 5 months! I missed your pictures too, but the path sounds like a big job. I am sure it will look beautiful when finished.

I definitely have neglected much in life due to drinking, and so does my husband. So, together, or when sober on my own, it is still hard to catch up. I cannot do much heavy work, or lifting, moving furniture, etc... I have a weak back from an old injury. When I look at all that needs to be done with sober eyes, i get overwhelmed and depressed.

a big project I want to do is to have a new room added to the house, along with revitalizing the kitchen-new counters, cabinets. I have fairly new appliances. I think to get to doing that, we need to purge a lot of stuff to make room to shift things around during the work. It is a dream, but we should get on it, before we have college bills. So, I guess I have 2-3 years to get it done!

Thinking about Briar.

V, glad you do not have the flu and feel a bit better. I can get ill over achy and ill with depression and anxiety. I could use a good dose of sunshine myself.

Hi Arbor, Conquest, Leigh, Dee, and anyone I may have missed.

Plugging along, trying to get through the winter. Definitely feeling winter blahs. Have not been on the computer much this weekend, so that is a good thing. Changed some sheets, doing some laundry, made some food. Glamorous stuff!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Hi gang,

Thanks for the congrats. I hadn't thought about five month date until Gilmer posted it in the 24 hour thread. She's very thoughtful that way. I'm celebrating by having a carb-fest today. We're having company for dinner and I plan on lots of dessert too...a rare treat. Just got the tenderloin stuffed and strung up, now I've been assigned some cleaning tasks. I like outside chores better but my project is on hold due to rain. Got a little more done this morning, but it will be a muddy mess out there now.

Phoebe, I think getting started on your list is good. It provides a nice focus to help get through the long winter you guys endure. This window of opportunity before the college expenses makes sense to me too.

Conquest, I agree with Leigh about how you reached out this morning to the lady at church,....that was great. I grew up very traditional with weekly church and a solid faith foundation. As an adult I do struggle with some facets of my childhood faith and have to be honest that I have spent much of the last decade often feeling angry at God. It's odd too because I've enjoyed the blessing of professional success during those years and at the same time had so many personal struggles at home that I haven't enjoyed much of what I've worked my rear off for. Something's missing from my life in the area of faith for sure, but I'm not convinced that it will be every detail of my traditional upbringing that I'll ultimately embrace. Just like the looming decisions I've deferred in my personal relationships, I'm also giving myself time to discover a faith foundation too...,just not sure what that's gonna look like.

Arbor, I'm glad you enjoyed a day to yourself yesterday. My family will be out of town part of next week for spring break. I'll be here enjoying some quiet time.

Ok, gotta get busy.