Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 41

Old 11-25-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Zero - I'm sorry you're having a tough day. I know that with sobriety I can accept the challenges that come my way. Like Saskia said, it opens me up to work through them. Have fun tomorrow.

Gilmer - You've undergone a huge transformation in the past year. The little changes in attitude that you've made every day have added up to a significant change of heart.

Drake - Mmm, the whomp sounds tasty.

Toots - Thank you for the heartfelt poem. Xoxo

Chris - I can relate to facing difficult emotions. I hadn't realized how much I was holding inside til I stopped drinking and was completely miserable in many aspects of my life. Although I struggle with allowing the feelings to just lap around me, it usually ends up being almost transformative when I finally do feel them. It's been liberating when I've pull the wool off my eyes, and made some adjustments in my life.

BeFree - I never caught on to the sushi craze. I'll eat it, but I don't seek it.

On the other hand, if you find me a good Greek salad....I can get all deep in that.

Today I set my alarm 10 minutes early - and actually got up 10 minutes early - to start my day writing a brief gratitude list and reading the Hazelden thought of the day before my morning routine. It was great. When my mind started to wander during my ride to work, I caught myself and said "half full!" I thought I should put a sticky note on my dashboard saying "half full".... Then, as I was walking to my seat, I saw on someone's desk a picture of a cup with the saying "half full." My life has its share of challenges, but there is so much to be thankful for.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Chris - I can relate to facing difficult emotions. I hadn't realized how much I was holding inside til I stopped drinking and was completely miserable in many aspects of my life. Although I struggle with allowing the feelings to just lap around me, it usually ends up being almost transformative when I finally do feel them. It's been liberating when I've pull the wool off my eyes, and made some adjustments in my life.
Thanks Glee! "Liberating" is such a great way to re-frame the situation for the positive thing that it actually is! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this it made a difference in changing my perspective for the better! I really appreciate it !!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Glad everyone seems to be keeping strong with lifes challenges.
Im still here. ... my ear is a mess....strong antibiotics and pain relief. ...messing with my tummy and stopping me eating. ..
....that in turn is messing with my head.... living on chocolate and coffee...but still not losing weight. ...
Will try to view this as another challenge to deal with. Xxx
Well done to all of you
Xxxx
Old 11-26-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Zero - rock on

I'm sorry your plans have changed Gilmer but I hope the day is just as meaningful this way

D
Old 11-26-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

hey Petals you got an ear infection? I've had them too they are the WORST!

The best thing that's worked for me is decongestants if I ever get a head cold, stops the fluid building up in the ear.

Sorry to hear you're in pain, get through it and like you say, it's just a challenge!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're suffering, Petals.

Dee, as you say, it is what it is. I managed to get the groceries to my daughter's house, and she'll take things from there. I look forward to the quiet little time we'll have here, and I know it will mean a lot to my friend to have someplace to go for a holiday. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Greets Undies!

ll be joining 50 million others on the road today. Have to go pick up a rental car, my 25 year old Buick doesn't go far from home these days. In good shape, but last time I took it to my sister's (1100 mile round trip) I had several problems. Still lots of original parts on the old machine.

I'll check in now and then!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Have a great trip and a great time, Drake!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Drake, that's a lot of driving! Please take care and have a lovely Thanksgiving with family!

Gilmer, love your attitude. You are rolling with the punches. It sounds like you will have a more relaxed holiday and your dad and friend will probably like it better!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Good morning Undies,
I shared this wilth my August class just now and thought it was important/powerful to share...
Had a great night of tennis last but didn't finish until 9:15pm or so then I got some cravings 'out of no where'. First time in a long time they were uncomfortable. I asked myself what was I really feeling?... I was very hungry and tired (and lonely (travelling on business)) which made perfect sense. I never like to eat after 6pm but I immediately ordered a Turkey Club sandwich from the hotel which I ate at 9:40pm and felt SO much better! My cravings completely vanished and I felt totally normal again, except for feeling guilty about eating so darn late. But I will take eating late over drinking ANY day!! It is amazing how easy it is to mistake hunger for cravings. Both are a 'void' we feel we need to fill. Hunger is a true thing we need to feed, cravings is not. I fed the hunger and I was rewarded.
I also played the tape forward while I waited for my sandwich and realised how gut-wrenchingly misreable I would feel this morning and for weeks to come if I gave in to that false craving! So grateful to have all these powerful sober tools in my pocket!
Day 107 today!! I never will go back to the hell that is drinking! Thanks for listening everyone I love you all ! -Chris
Old 11-26-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Chris, that is fantastic! I hope the rest of your business trip gets a boost from the significant victory you won last night! Hope all facets of your time are strengthened and made more productive!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Chris that's great you paused and figured out why that craving popped up.

Petals hope your ear heals soon.

Zero congrats on 11 months and have fun at the show jammin.

Well off to womp again
Old 11-26-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Good morning Undies,
I shared this wilth my August class just now and thought it was important/powerful to share...
Had a great night of tennis last but didn't finish until 9:15pm or so then I got some cravings 'out of no where'. First time in a long time they were uncomfortable. I asked myself what was I really feeling?... I was very hungry and tired (and lonely (travelling on business)) which made perfect sense. I never like to eat after 6pm but I immediately ordered a Turkey Club sandwich from the hotel which I ate at 9:40pm and felt SO much better! My cravings completely vanished and I felt totally normal again, except for feeling guilty about eating so darn late. But I will take eating late over drinking ANY day!! It is amazing how easy it is to mistake hunger for cravings. Both are a 'void' we feel we need to fill. Hunger is a true thing we need to feed, cravings is not. I fed the hunger and I was rewarded.
I also played the tape forward while I waited for my sandwich and realised how gut-wrenchingly misreable I would feel this morning and for weeks to come if I gave in to that false craving! So grateful to have all these powerful sober tools in my pocket!
Day 107 today!! I never will go back to the hell that is drinking! Thanks for listening everyone I love you all ! -Chris

Chris my friend, I think this is a great observation and congrats on rationally working through the problem.

After playing tennis, my guess is the "cravings" were very real; your body was sending a message. Not necessarily for AL, but maybe a need for simple sugars and/or some need for carbs?

I know in my case, after a really hard, long cycling training ride (+3-4 hours or more), I frequently get a low blood sugar condition...I have depleted all the glucose from my muscles during the ride. It comes on really quickly- I get light headed, shaky and maybe sweaty. In the old days, a couple of fast drinks of AL would have fixed the problem immediately (amounted to a quick shot of simple sugars). Also, some healthy, fast acting carbs or other simple sugars would have also rapidly fixed the problem as well (fig newtons, nuts, etc.), but in my case AL was my former remedy of choice. And, this was a crazy choice. With my muscle cells depleted and calling for help, I sent AL to rebuild the muscle vs. some healthy electrolyte recovery drink or other healthy carbs. So, all the work I put into the training was, in a sense not really helping my overall training goals, muscles don't improve well when full of AL vs. better nutrition choices.

I think you nailed the answer- you correctly diagnosed the "void" or "cravings" you were feeling in this condition and handled it perfectly. Nice work.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by glandon View Post
Chris my friend, I think this is a great observation and congrats on rationally working through the problem.

After playing tennis, my guess is the "cravings" were very real; your body was sending a message. Not necessarily for AL, but maybe a need for simple sugars and/or some need for carbs?

I know in my case, after a really hard, long cycling training ride (+3-4 hours or more), I frequently get a low blood sugar condition...I have depleted all the glucose from my muscles during the ride. It comes on really quickly- I get light headed, shaky and maybe sweaty. In the old days, a couple of fast drinks of AL would have fixed the problem immediately (amounted to a quick shot of simple sugars). Also, some healthy, fast acting carbs or other simple sugars would have also rapidly fixed the problem as well (fig newtons, nuts, etc.), but in my case AL was my former remedy of choice. And, this was a crazy choice. With my muscle cells depleted and calling for help, I sent AL to rebuild the muscle vs. some healthy electrolyte recovery drink or other healthy carbs. So, all the work I put into the training was, in a sense not really helping my overall training goals, muscles don't improve well when full of AL vs. better nutrition choices.

I think you nailed the answer- you correctly diagnosed the "void" or "cravings" you were feeling in this condition and handled it perfectly. Nice work.
Extremely helpful post Glandon thank you! I play competitive tennis and I burn between 1,200-2,400 calories in one tennis session! Yes my body was screaming for nutrition which I used to fill with drink exactly as you described !!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the kind words everyone! I learned a lot of these techniques from you all ! Great teamwork !!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Hello Undies,

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Acceptance is key. Accepting tragedy is noble. Accepting myself is humbling.
Zero, nice to see you and congrats on the 11, my SL mate. I am sorry that you are hurting. Thanks for that thought on acceptance. You have such a thought provoking way with words. Good luck at your gig tonight.

BF, enjoy work. Hope you are planning another get together with your sober co-workers soon! I am sending something your way to keep you busy though.

Good job fighting off AV, Chris. I remember going into great detail one day with someone during my first week in AA about the circumstances surrounding my last relapse. This dude is walking by eavesdropping and just calmly looks at me and says, "The reason you drank was because you are an alcoholic and you simply wanted to drink that day more than you didn't." Haha, I loved that...it was basic, succinct, direct, no bs and to the point. He has since become a good friend and mentor.

Drake, enjoy the ride and family. Do you have some jams for that trip. Although, your idea of a bad a** jam and mine might differ? Hey, back in my heavy traveling days I was hooked on books on tape. No, not any self help crap...just good mysteries (ie: Johnathan Kellerman). Drive safely my friend.

Petals, hope you are feeling better soon. Geeze, I have an old friend on SR that has been going through the same thing. Sounds painful. I'm sending some good intention vibes via the Universe your way!

Gilmer, I hope you and Dad have a nice day. Made we wonder, what would my conversation be if I were able to spend that day with my now departed Dad? Goodness, I don't even remember our last fully coherent talk. Seemed like he had dementia for over a decade. Oh wait a minute, he did. ENJOY that reason!!

Glee, your comment about Greek Salad reminded me of the fictitious Robert Higgens who I heard live, when he buffaloed his way on network TV, pretending to be OJ's neighbor during the OJ chase. Funny stuff. He told Al Michaels that OJ looked scad, he's slumpin in his chair, and it was quite tenseses, and you'd be scad too cause there's cops ALL DEEP IN THIS! Hahahahaha........lol.

Well, I must dash for now...have a good one.

Carlos
Old 11-26-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Chris, congrats on dealing with the craving and working your way through it. Way to go, sober twin :-)
Old 11-26-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Chris - Great work recognizing your body's signals. Learning how to take better care of myself has been an ongoing process. When I drank, I would wake up, exercise, drink a green smoothie, and drink some detox tea every day before work to facilitate the removal of alcohol from my system. I hurt my foot, and about a week after I stopped drinking, the pain of the injury caught up with me. I realized that I had been as obsessive about the morning regimen as I had been about drinking. Rigid behavior was a way that I modulated my emotions. Recognizing when I was angry, lonely, tired, anxious, etc and feeling it and accepting that I was feeling it - instead of pushing it away with rigid behavior - has opened up my recovery a great deal.

Zero - Congrats on 11 months sober!

Drake - I hope you have a safe trip.

Gilmer - I hope you enjoy your revised Thanksgiving plans.

Carlos - Sweet potato casserole - mmmmm.

Saskia, Petals, Glandon, Dee, BeFree - HI!

I'm spending tomorrow evening with my husband's family. I rarely drank too much when other people were around. Thanksgiving doesn't feel like much of a trigger for me, nor does the youth hockey tournament that my family is going to this weekend. Even though they were situations where I typically drank heavily, I feel like a nondrinker now that I have significant sober time under my belt in situations where I used to drink.

A woman at AA shared that she had been drinking while attending meetings. She said that in four years, the obsession never left her. She wanted to drink every single day. When she shared her story, she sounded broken. I was broken when I finally quit, and afraid that I was going to lose everything, including my life. My mind cracked open that day, for the first time since I was a child, because I was willing to do what ever it took to stop. That willingness to admit I was powerless over alcohol has transformed my life. From the outside it still looks pretty much the same, but psychologically, emotionally, spiritually it is gently transforming into something deeper and more meaningful.

Have a good one, Undies!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Hi undies.
Womp went by pretty well today.
Home watching some law & order and eating some BBQ sunflower seeds. I'm trying to stop using my ecig bc it seems to be irritating my throat and sunflower seeds keep me busy.

Anyways hope everyone is having a good evening. Looking forward to a relaxing day tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Happy Turkey Day (for those who celebrate it)!

Snow here, oh my! I'm happily snuggled at home with my kitty 😊