Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 41

Old 11-27-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Carlos..I got a rental and had no cd player, some link system and lousy, basic satellite radio. I was annoyed. At least I found one OK station.

Last 50 miles was really snowy and slick. Slowed me down a bit. Got in,got Olive settled and then my sis and I went to our favorite Mexican restaurant. Unfortunately I got sick. Not from too many margaritas as in the past. Needless to say the long day ended poorly. Feel better this morning but still some rumble-tum.

We'll see how day goes. Sis snoring away..Olive snoozing.. I off to read the Black Friday ads.

Happy Thanksgiving to all even if not celebrating where you are!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving undies!!
3 of our 4 kids are in town. Cycling this morning, then pancakes, then stand up paddling, then cooking and eating ( half, a regular turkey thanksgiving and half vegan ) then basketball, then onto our little whaler boat for a harbor cruise with hot chocolate. Lots to do! So grateful to have the boys here and of course sad that the girl isn't.
Hope everybody has a great day!

Gilmer, I'm with you. What a difference a year makes.

Glandon, a fellow cyclist!!! may your rubber side stay down and the metal side stay up!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
waking down

Eleven months sober yesterday and entering my last month of being an Undie. It has been an intense year; one for which I am most grateful and somewhat surprised I survived sober.

Enjoy your day, folks! Sparkling Martinelli's cider diluted with seltzer will be in my wine glass. Apple/pear for white, apple/cran for red. Yum.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Congrats on 11 Zero

Once an undie always an undie by the way!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Zero, big congrats on 11 months!
Old 11-27-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Zero

Hope everyone had a good sober day

D
Old 11-27-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Happy turkey day undies!

Zero congrats on 11 months!

I'm enjoying a lazy day with the house to myself. I took my dog to starbucks and the park this morning for awhile. I didn't feel like going to either one of my parents houses where the booze will be flowing and I have to be back womping early tomorrow. Hoping to get the Christmas lights up this weekend.

Hope everyone has a nice sober day.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Hey, BF, it sounds like you took care of yourself by avoiding the parents! I stayed home, too since I don't feel ready yet to be around people who drink.

Have a good night!
Old 11-27-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Zero!

I had planned to serve sparking cider today, too, but I couldn't find my bottle opener. I think I own a bottle opener...

Dinner went very well, and my dad and my guest had a very good time. I'm pretty beat, so I'll leave the shipwreck in the kitchen for tomorrow morning.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving, Undies!

I hope everyone had a nice day. I spend the day with my husband's sisters and their families. In previous years, hubby and I geared up for Thanksgiving by strategizing how we were going to stay calm when they made irksome comments. This year I spent the day practicing humility and acceptance. I was OK with everything they did or said, even the stuff I disagreed with. I enjoyed the meal. My kids had a blast playing with their cousins. I didn't feel overjoyed with, connected to, or even particularly interested in what was happening around me, but (unlike my mother, who was there today) I wasn't mad, or forcing a connection with my in laws, or wondering what anyone thought about me. My mom was practically doing a jig trying to force a connection with hubby's disconnected, self-absorbed, passive aggressive family members, like she does every year, and like I used to do. This year, though, I felt at peace. For me, sobriety works itself from the inside out. When I'm emotionally sober, I don't want to drink - or engage in any other numbing, obsessive behavior - and am not tempted when other people do.

I think it's important to have emotional sobriety. I think I'm doing something right because I'm able to call upon it when I need it, but at the same time I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I'm so damn alone, calling for this emotional sobriety all by myself, all the time. I mean, sure I have AA and SR, but the majority of my life takes place outside of that, and I wonder more and more whose life I'm living, anyway.

Clearly, not mine. I know the life I want to live - one that's clean, sober, joyous, happy, free. Instead I'm spending this weekend tucked away in a hotel, in the freezing cold, surrounded by hockey families consuming huge quantities of alcohol and some recreational drugs. Hubby, as an alcoholic who chooses to drink, is beyond stoked for the opportunity to be rendered practically unconscious by alcohol this weekend. I'm not dreading the weekend, by any means; I'll enjoy watching the games and hanging with friends. But finding the silver lining in a situation that's inherently incompatible with the way I want to live, like finding a little peace today while hanging with my goofy in laws, or enjoying hanging with friends while the people around us are irresponsibly, incomprehensibly drunk, seems to be a holding pattern for me.

I know I'm in my current holding pattern because of MY choices. I've become better and better at finding contingency plans, escape routes, and small ways to boost my spirits. I need to keep practicing my emotional sobriety, become better and better at taking care of myself, in order to take flight.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Many changes take time, GF. Be patient with yourself. Many circumstances will ultimately change; others, you'll adapt to and eventually be at peace.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Many changes take time, GF. Be patient with yourself. Many circumstances will ultimately change; others, you'll adapt to and eventually be at peace.
Now you're just going all hebrew on us.

Love
Old 11-28-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Or all Confuscious Trachy!!

I'm glad you enjoyed TG Gilmer

Sorry you were sick Drake

Glee, I see you in a holding pattern at the moment, whilst you build on your sobriety, increase your potential and prepare to fly. I know it can be a frustrating, scary and at times rage inducing time ( there will always be an element of 'why' What can't things be different why can't 'X' change or 'y' happen? But we endure. Humanity is about endurance. I know that when the time is right you will take the reins of your life rather than sit and wait and learn. For now, you are learning the patience and tolerance that will continue building character and stabilise you. I don't envy you the weekend, is there an AA meeting near your hotel you can attend for a change of scene? I don't doubt your Sobreity remotely, I just think a bit of time with like minded people is something you deserve.

Zero, even in the midst of death there is life, even in the depth of sadness there are things to be thankful for. I am thankful that you found SR, and that you have managed to maintain your sobriety over 11 extremely tough months. I look forward to proudly welcoming you to the Overs in December, fizzy cider all round!!

Siesta, lovely to hear from you. Yes in the midst of all the cheer and family togetherness, we think of the absent ones and wish things were different. I feel that he best you can hope for is that she finds her way, and always ensure that she knows you are there for her when she does.

How are all the other undies coping with the TG weekend? It seems a little quiet here?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

I had a good holiday, Toots :-)

I had a very quiet day which was good since I'm working hard on keeping my balance. An AA meeting last night was really good. There were 8 of us and we had some very inspiring shares about gratitude. I'm going to a close friend's for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow :-)
Old 11-28-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

It is quiet Toots since many here are stuffed or shopping. I am feeling better but not 100%. Quiet day fine with me. Olive has been lazy too.

to all!
Old 11-28-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling better, Drake. It feels like a good day for quiet :-)
Old 11-28-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Close scare for me last night- I would appreciate some advice.

Out of nowhere last night, I had an intense desire to "just have a taste". When I say intense, I really mean INTENSE! I was warmly looking at one of the very few bottles of AL in our home. I had the thought of even taking a sniff (to remember what it smelled like) - I didn't- then the next step, of course would have been "having the taste" - again, I didn't, but boy, it was very close.

By the way, my wife drinks very lightly and only on rare occasions, which is why there is any AL in our home.

Today, I am 112 days AF and my decision to quit has been a relatively straight-line effort. Months ago, any tangible physical cravings stopped.

This feeling last night was more "intellectual" vs. "physical craving", if that makes any sense? In other words, I felt like I wanted to just try some out of curiosity, while remaining confident in my ability to remain, AF. And this thought stayed with me; I mulled this idea around for a couple of hours, before, I ended up making myself a salad and having a club soda/Roses lime juice and then going to bed.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Glandon, from what I gather, those kinds of events are not uncommon. In my IOP, we went through the cycles of relapse and talked about strategies for handling each stage. For the "thinking" or first stage the strategy is to think through well in advance how to self-talk our way through. The second stage of real cravings requires more active intervention. That can be some kind of physical distraction like going for a run or even standing up and raising your arms up. At this stage and especially the next one of pre-contemplation, bringing in people supports is supposed to be the most effective. The cycle continues, if not broken, to actual relapse and the key there is both people supports and forgiving ourselves; much self compassion. This can dramatically shorten a relapse.

The earlier in the process that we intervene, the easier it is. The key is to be like good girl/Boy Scouts by being prepared. Good for you for recognizing and getting through this!

Yesterday I was feeling the blahs - a bit depressed. I don't think I was in danger of drinking but I also knew that it wasn't good for me to stay in that spot. Going to an AA meeting was just the right thing for me. Not everyone wants to utilize AA and that's fine. I do think it can help all of us to find some kind of formal or informal f2f support.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
I don't envy you the weekend, is there an AA meeting near your hotel you can attend for a change of scene? I don't doubt your sobriety remotely, I just think a bit of time with like minded people is something you deserve.
I would think that when you travel, going to a local AA meeting would be a blast. Years ago, when we took our two back-to-back cross country trips, we stopped every night in a different town with a different hotel. At 5:30 every morning, I would "steal" the van while everyone was asleep and go to the local Curves gym to do my standard workout. It was a real adrenaline rush to "collect" the different gyms and compare the experiences.

My favorite Curves were in Billings, Montana and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The best steak I ever had was at a modest-looking tavern in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The first time I ever had deep-fried broccoli was in Butte, Montana.

But I digress...
Old 11-28-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

On a much more serious note, my dad is in the hospital. I heard him calling my name in a very panic-stricken tone, and he told me he couldn't breathe. I called the ambulance and they took us to the hospital emergency room. All of the staff was very friendly, professional, and competent. My favorite was a very jovial nurse who had a distinctly Australian accent (no wonder I liked her! SR has given me a very high estimation of Australians! ).

Anyway, the cardiologist on call came and checked him out, and it turns out that he wasn't having a heart attack or heart failure as was initially thought; rather, it was a combination of little factors. Oxygen wasn't getting to his heart, as proven by an elevations of a key enzyme in his blood; also, he had swelling side effects from a course of steroids he had taken earlier in the week for back pain. Plus, he has developed atrial fibrillation, a type of irregular heartbeat (as many of you probably already know) in which the upper and lower chambers of the heart are not working in sync.

Add that to the fact that one of his valves is very narrow, and he has a slight blockage in one artery, and it caused extreme discomfort in his chest and difficulty breathing. So they are keeping him overnight to get him stabilized with some new meds.

God really gave me a lot of grace over the past two days. I was patient and loving to him yesterday when I was secretly getting irritated that he was constantly underfoot when I was busting my butt; then this morning, i was calm, pleasant and cool, reacting quickly to call the ambulance and provide a reassuring presence to him in the ER bay.

After three hours waitng for his oxygen level to come up, I took a cab home. I will go back to see him about 6. He should be eating dinner then--maybe I can bring something in and eat with him.

It turned out to be a very good thing that we were home when this happened rather than in the mountains--it's a much longer drive to the nearest hospital. Here in Ashburn, the ambulance was here within 5 minutes, and we were at the ER in 10.

Dinner went beyond great yesterday. The food was good, especially the gravy, and a good time was had by all. i know it really blessed my sad, singing friend to have a warm, welcoming, relaxing place to go--and it really pleased her to be invited somewhere on a holiday. Her only life dream from childhood was to get married and have kids. She's 58 now and single, so her expectations have altered--but it still is very depressing for her to be all alone on holidays, so I know I really blessed her.

Now I'm home--and I still haven't begun the dishes in the sink! Crusted-on potatoes that the soaking water didn't reach! Oh, well--I'll just put on some embarrassing pop music to psych me up like I did yesterday.

I am running on very little sleep, so I may not be here much tonight. I just feel a lot of love for you all and I want to wish you a good weekend, whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not. I am very deeply thankful for you!