Class of November 2014 Part 2

Old 11-12-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

sorry. Double posted for some reason.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day Seven

Starting day seven here. Last day of the first week of what I hope to be many more to come.

Like ANewDayinNYC, I also had a drinking dream last night. Don't remember any details now, just remember suddenly waking up at around five this morning feeling awful, like I'd screwed up again.

Another crazy busy day at work yesterday. It was Veteran's Day, I guess there were a lot of people off work because we had people lined up around the side of the building before we even opened the doors. I managed to stay focused and positive and to not start blaming others because I didn't think they were doing their job right. That's something I've been deliberately working on in my morning meditations, it was nice to see some positive results from it.

Went to an AMAZING AA meeting last night. Topic was step one which is right up my alley right now. But the vibe in the room was just super-energetic and very honest and helpful. I felt at peace when I left an hour later.

Today's plan is more of the same. Work, meeting, maybe a little grocery shopping. It's cold here. Probably some of you folks from the northern US or from Europe would laugh at this weather since it's like 35 degrees and sunny here, but this is West Texas. We're not used to this temperature! My new coat and gloves will come in handy today. Of course, it's supposed to be back up into the sixties and seventies by the weekend so I have to complain while I can.

Sober32--hope you pick yourself back up and stick around here.

Welcome to all the newcomers! Keep us updated on your progress. Congrats to everyone who made it through another day clean and sober!
Old 11-12-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober32 View Post
I caved in and got a six pack of beer. 5pm on day 3, about 69hrs into abstinence.
Hope to be back soon.
Stay strong guys.
Sober32,
Cheering you on from my part of the world! Climb back on board.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober32 View Post
I caved in and got a six pack of beer. 5pm on day 3, about 69hrs into abstinence.
Hope to be back soon.
Stay strong guys.
Sober32,

I'm glad that you posted. I think most people slip/cave MANY times before actually getting sobriety to stick. I know I have.

You have a choice today. Do you want today to be day 1 of sobriety, working your way towards a better life? Or day 2 of drinking and all the negative things that come with it?

You can do this. We are here for you.

BernieE & JT0626: Thanks for posting with your experiences as you near or are at day 14. It is good to have a reminder that it gets easier after we get some more days under our belts!

Day 4 here. Going to try to make a meeting today and/or go for a run (depending if one of my AA friends can make the meeting). Yesterday was tough with work stress. That used to be a HUGE trigger and for afternoon/night meetings that I call into I would usually drink to "take the edge off." I did fine without the drinks yesterday and am better for it today.

Good luck everyone and have a great day!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I love SR! So glad I joined. I think it really helps to read other peoples struggles and realize your not alone. You guys are awesome! =)

21 days and going strong.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 9 here

I have the dreaming thing too. Granted when I was drinking I'd rarely remember my dreams, but I've had several since being sober, can't remember them clearly but I know my go-to 6 pack of my favorite double IPA was there. I'm not sure if it's just that morning guilt is so ingrained, or the dreams, or what, but it takes me a few moments after waking up to remind myself "no, I really didn't drink last night."

So that's a little unpleasant, but my anxiety levels are down pretty dramatically after just a week.

My girlfriend went to bed before me last night for the first time in several days, which puts me in the "danger zone" to run out, buy some, and sneak a few (and risk having some left over today), but it was really and truly the sense of accountability this thread is providing that kept me grounded, so thanks everyone and SR! I had some ice cream
Old 11-12-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey folks -
Working from home today (because I can and because it avoids a 1 hr commute each way). Went to the grocery store to get some healthy snacks as I've been STARVING w/o all those empty calories. Had to walk straight through the beer/wine aisle to get where I needed to go. Boy, that was tough. Thoughts flashed into my head that I could just pick up a little something to make the afternoon go quicker. Actually made me a little sad to look at my cheap-beer-of-choice. Plus physically I'm not feeling awesome today, although maybe it's because I thought that after 4 days I'd be jumping off the walls with energy.

Anyways, staying strong. Family will be home around 5:30, and usually then it's chaos until about 8 or 9. Weirdly this post-lunch, pre-dinner afternoon time that seems pretty hard for me.

Good work everyone else. Y'all are keeping me going with your own stories/struggles/triumphs!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 9 and my 7th meeting.

I picked up my first chip today. I'm very grateful for this site and the AA meetings I have been attending. Trying to learn and do good work.

Staying positive! It's hard but I'm trying.,
Old 11-12-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in (and not feeling the urge to drink at all)! I'm looking forward to catching up on posts because I've been tied up at work all day. I'm really starting to wonder if this mental fog is my "new normal." I am definitely not as sharp and focused as I used to be, which is kind of a bummer because those are basically my defining characteristics at work! Overall, I'm feeling pretty good though.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 10 and realizing that my biggest trigger from HALT is Hunger. If I eat often and healthy the thought just stays a brief thought. If I let myself get HANGRY (hungry/angry) then the thought becomes obsessive. Here's to good food!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to Bernie JT Meshelly Casey Broken erraric and everyone celebrating a milestone today.

Sober32 - you need to fight this thing harder...if you don't give it your all, you'll end up in a loop, like I did. My loop lasted for decades

come here and post before you buy booze - you can change the outcome

Hop your op went well Gyps

stay strong guys - we gave years to drinking - give a little time to this - you won't be sorry

D
Old 11-12-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Checking in. Some craving. Husband just walked by with 2 - 12 packs. Just like last Wednesday night. Works from home Thursdays. I am stressed because my 15yo daughter is having some trouble in school. she is resistant to input, as most teenagers, but does want some help tonight. So, I am pouring over the Sparknotes for A Separate Peace. I wish I had done this when she began reading the book, and conversed with her as she read it. Actually, she should have looked these over as she read it, to help her understand it. I never read it myself.

Anyway, so as much as I am craving, there is no time. I have too much homework, lol. I figure I can discuss it with her to help her study and grasp the concepts for the test she is allowed to retake tomorrow.

Exercised and had lots of healthy food today, and just a bit of sweets in the late afternoon. No more tonight! It is tea and only tea, or water until bedtime.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds good Phoebe - stay strong

D
Old 11-12-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Hop your op went well Gyps

D
So far so good Dee . It went smoothly, and I was in and out fairly quickly with no complications. The daughter formerly known as the teen drove me, and spent some quality time at the house which was nice! My man also met us there. Carried me all the way up the stairs over his shoulder . I'm not in too much pain yet as they did a nerve block so my leg is numb from my knee to my toes. My toes are very swollen and I feel them hurting some although I cannot move them. Very strange feeling. I'm icing and elevating... Reading & posting... And eating lol. When that block wears off it might be a different story. I have zero desire to drink and the only thoughts of alcohol are because I'm here . I feel pretty good considering. Hope everyone else is as well.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey folks. First post for me. I think this is a really cool site and I'm glad I found it. Day 3 for me. I broke over a year of sobriety in August and have been drinking sporadically since then. Thought I could handle it, but I was wrong. I'm ready to eliminate alcohol from my life again. Anyway, the last three days have actually been pretty rough. Haven't gotten much sleep yet and work has been stressful which doesn't help with the anxiety. I feel optimistic though. Best wishes, everyone.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome Eldangeroso!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Just wrapping up Day 2 after my four day fumble, just glad I was able to get back up, dust myself off thanks to all of the folks here at SR.
Next hurdle will be Friday, I'm feeling pretty good though!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey Magellan, great to see you! Let's do this thing!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

I'm tired and annoyed tonight. But about actual life, not cravings this time That's gotta be an improvement, right? Ha.

Anyway, that's all I've got for now. Day 9 down, which is frikkin absurd by my standards. Still sorta mad at my tea for being tea. Hoping that goes away at some point. I will probably go to bed in an hour or so.

Go everybody btw! This class is huge and full of great folks.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ElDangeroso

glad everything is OK Gyps

D