Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 7

Old 09-25-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Great work for beating the AV guys and girls!!

Brach - enjoy the Trafford Centre, great place to spend some time relaxing.

So, I have some days off work so I am currently posting from Prague in the Czech Republic!

Me and my partner had flights booked for a few days in Eastern Europe. Of course, he is not around for a while and after some long thinking I decided to come anyway. I needed a break from London and all the triggers, work is a particular AV trigger at the moment. Weirdly, vacations were never a major issue for me but I am on AV guard. I have actually missed day trips and even a weekend break to stay in the UK and drink, so this feels good!

So I will be working my way from Prague down to Croatia for a flight back over the next 7 days. An adventure! And staying in cheap guesthouses along the way taking buses through this part of the world. I am taking you for the ride TeamAugust!!

Tonight I am going to an AA English speaking meeting in Prague too. I checked and they are everywhere.

Glandon, I am happy you could be there to drive your wife sober, you are right; not having to think about having had alcohol is great.

Posts wifi permitting, but should be easy to find :-)
Old 09-25-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Hey guys

So, I have some days off work so I am currently posting from Prague in the Czech Republic!

Me and my partner had flights booked for a few days in Eastern Europe. Of course, he is not around for a while and after some long thinking I decided to come anyway. I needed a break from London and all the triggers, work is a particular AV trigger at the moment. Weirdly, vacations were never a major issue for me but I am on AV guard. I have actually missed day trips and even a weekend break to stay in the UK and drink, so this feels good!

So I will be working my way from Prague down to Croatia for a flight back over the next 7 days. An adventure! And staying in cheap guesthouses along the way taking buses through this part of the world. I am taking you for the ride TeamAugust!!

Tonight I am going to an AA English speaking meeting in Prague too. I checked and they are everywhere.

Glandon, I am happy you could be there to drive your wife sober, you are right; not having to think about having had alcohol is great.

Wow! I have always wanted to travel there. Keep us updated. Croatia is suppose to be gorgeous.

I once travelled to Barbados and went to an AA meeting there. It certainly was an eye opener!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brach123 View Post
Way to go determined, glandon and blackbird! It sure is tough when all can be going so well and then suddenly bang you're under attack from the AV! Respect to you guys for staying alert and tuned into the reality of our problem.

I had a weird dream last night, where some friends were drinking around me, I remember feeling uneasy about it, but don't think I actually drunk. I still woke up feeling a little anxious about it all, but I'm still as resolute in my sobriety now I'm conscious! I'm going to a meeting tonight so that will give me another boost and still working step 4.

Off to the trafford centre (mall) in a mo for a wander around and probs grab some food.

I'm grateful today that I don't need to drink or be stuck in a deep dark hole where I can't see the way out, instead I can walk freely without fear!

What do you guys have planned for your day? are you working? leisure? I hope you are all doing well and have a great sober day.
Brach I had a dream the other day that I bumped into an ex friend of mine. She asked me if I was still drinking and I told her no. But her facial expression didn't look like she believed me and she turned her nose down at me.

I woke up feeling embarrassed..still after all these years. This was an incident that happened five years ago where I turned up at her midday birthday party completely wasted. I fell off my chair, broke my wine glass and all sorts. You can imagine what I was like. She didn't want to know me afterwards...

Bad memory

I am at work all day but I did go for a run before I started.This is something I would have never comtemplated when I was a drinker
Old 09-25-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Coming into my second month seems somewhat harder. I think its because the novelty has worn off. But this wont deter me from living the life I should be living.

Its a lifestyle change I am doing here...to a healthier, more peaceful, calmer me
Old 09-25-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I also had a drinking dream last night Brach, it was weird- like most dreams are but it felt so real, was hiding it unsuccessfully and in one store I was asked by the shopkeeper to try some weird alcoholic concoction he had made in a drawer, remember the taste of it even! So relieved when I woke up. Also on step 4 too! Trying to get stuck into it today more.

Can relate Knb about the anti-climax type feel of going into month 2, its like the early recovery withdrawal period is over but life's still going on and don't know about everyone else here but time seems to be going slower somehow? It seems like Ive done more than the 5 and a half weeks, im trying to get fit now and immerse myself in AA and hope that I can stick with sobriety....
Old 09-25-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Enjoy your trip london!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I freakin know you all get it!

Blackbird, I get the tantrum comment. I have had a couple over the past few weeks. Very tough on lazy, nice cool sunny Sundays to have cold beer in fridge and watch spouse having some. Again though, I see the bigger, long term picture better now. Still, can't let guard down...

Glandon, hats off for making a drink and keeping strong. I am not quite ready to smell jack Daniels. Even though I kicked my front door in and crawled through it to pass out last time from JD.. The driving thing is sooo awesome. I get how relieved you were. I took my son to get ice cream at 7 the other day. I thought look at me!!!

Ultra, thank you.

Brach, the without fear comment is epic. That fear that is always kind of there when you are on the drink. Especially when hungover, or the buzz is fading and you just want to hide...

London, dang! Prague!! That is spectacular! Never been there, but did go to Dubrovnik a few years ago. Worth a look if you are in that part of Croatia. You and knb both mentioned AA meetings, way to keep the faith and resolve.

I was commenting the other day that at any point in the day, virtually in every city around the world, there is a meeting. That speaks volumes to me regarding how evil and pervasive alcohol is and how many lives it destroys is beyond comprehension. The alcohol industry does such a great job of giving it a happy fun image while simultaneously making those that get addicted, which is virtually all if you drink for a steady period, feel like we should be ashamed. The alcohol industry and the advertising of it is in need of a revolution. Watch the anonymous people movie if you get a chance team. Enough of my rant...

Off to gym and then house tasks and errands. Woke up to a great sounding rain outside of the window. Life is good.

Attitude of gratitude.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
ph7

Hi all,

Glad some of you are well and glad those that aren't so good are finding the inner strength to say NO to AV.

Happy Birthdays and Anniversaries to all that applies to. Too many to individually congratulate

Its Day 50 for me

I'm clearing out my spare room today as I have a week off, hooray!

Just had a thought that if anyone in the future asks why I have stopped drinking my answer will bluntly be "Because I Can". That'll send them off thinking

Have a good day one and all. Keep strong and thanks for being here for me!
I couldn't have done it without this forum to fall back on.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ph7 View Post
Hi all,

Glad some of you are well and glad those that aren't so good are finding the inner strength to say NO to AV.

Happy Birthdays and Anniversaries to all that applies to. Too many to individually congratulate

Its Day 50 for me

Just had a thought that if anyone in the future asks why I have stopped drinking my answer will bluntly be "Because I Can". That'll send them off thinking

Congratulations on Day 50! Fantastic!
Old 09-25-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first three months were transitional for me guys - it did get a little easier tho month by month

congrats ph7

D
Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

knb02 and 1step- I found that a little after the "novelty" stage ended I settled further into a contented new reality.

I tried not to overthink this and just accepted this is a natural evolution. I reasoned that everyone has important things in their lives (relationships, experiences, objects) that are no longer new but are still enduring and worth holding on to.

It was powerful for me to transition from "this is novel" to "this is me". (I write this completely humbly and am not taking anything for granted- just sharing what worked for me)

Keep up the great work!
Old 09-25-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

You guys put into words what I think I've been feeling for these 2 years of back and forth sobriety. The novelty wearing off has a lot to do with it. And after so Many stops and starts you pretty much know what to expect, so there are no surprises, good or bad.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Hi team. Haven't baled on you. Just had a contractor hit the cable line last week so no internet at the house until yesterday (haven't tried the SR phone app). Was very quiet with no internet and no TV. But kind of nice for a change. Anyway just tagging in. I'll catch up on the thread a little later. Hope all is well with everyone.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Hi everyone, I also had a drinking dream last night Brach, it was weird- like most dreams are but it felt so real, was hiding it unsuccessfully and in one store I was asked by the shopkeeper to try some weird alcoholic concoction he had made in a drawer, remember the taste of it even! So relieved when I woke up. Also on step 4 too! Trying to get stuck into it today more.

Can relate Knb about the anti-climax type feel of going into month 2, its like the early recovery withdrawal period is over but life's still going on and don't know about everyone else here but time seems to be going slower somehow? It seems like Ive done more than the 5 and a half weeks, im trying to get fit now and immerse myself in AA and hope that I can stick with sobriety....
When I called AA the other night they told me that I should be doing step work. Isnt there a thread on this somewhere? Is it helping you Istep?

For me the time isn't faster as I have subconsciously decided to count the months rather than the days. But my AV is a lot stronger than it was in the first month. That difficuklt day I had really shook me as I see that I am still not safe.

Thast what I am doing too...getting into my fitness, trying to eat better and generally trying to associate myself with positive people. But that's not always easy to do.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by determined99 View Post

I was commenting the other day that at any point in the day, virtually in every city around the world, there is a meeting. That speaks volumes to me regarding how evil and pervasive alcohol is and how many lives it destroys is beyond comprehension. The alcohol industry does such a great job of giving it a happy fun image while simultaneously making those that get addicted, which is virtually all if you drink for a steady period, feel like we should be ashamed. The alcohol industry and the advertising of it is in need of a revolution. Watch the anonymous people movie if you get a chance team. Enough of my rant...

Off to gym and then house tasks and errands. Woke up to a great sounding rain outside of the window. Life is good.

Attitude of gratitude.
Determined:They plaster health warnings on cigarette boxes but wont do the same with alcohol? I don't get the logic here.

Most of the crime committed is because alcohol is involved. The hospitals are full on a Friday and Saturday night because of alcohol fuelled fighting etc. It costs the health system thousands of pounds.
And yet they still glamourize alcohol still...go figure.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ph7 View Post
Hi all,

Its Day 50 for me

Well done ph7!!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Dingodog check in??
Old 09-25-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doingsomething View Post
Hi team. Haven't baled on you. Just had a contractor hit the cable line last week so no internet at the house until yesterday (haven't tried the SR phone app). Was very quiet with no internet and no TV. But kind of nice for a change. Anyway just tagging in. I'll catch up on the thread a little later. Hope all is well with everyone.
Lol that's like old times. I bet its nice not to have those distractions.
I remember a time when no one had mobile phones nor computers.It was fax, pictures and writing letters. We managed to still communicate

I panic big time if I don't have internet or my mobile. lol
Old 09-25-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Today I'm going to study study study. I've got my pumpkin spice coffee.

I had a drinking dream last night too, where I accepted. The night before I had one where I said no.

Best wishes to all today!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Hey guys

That sounds like an amazing trip! Have fun!