Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 4

Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Morning class. Glad to be checkin in today with you all. Happy labor day folks. Not much going on here today. Will probably just chill and read, watch tv, etc. Got most of my house cleaned up this past weekend.
All chatter here about diets and exercise has me motivated, as I need to drop a few pounds myself.ive always exercised to some extent, but need to ramp it up a bit. Have a happy sober day team.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Very inspiring sthlondon. That's how I would like to deal with my issues too.
Thank you for the support guys. I needed to post it to make me feel better.

I actually should be more patient as I strongly believe my boss is 'one of us' I guess sometimes it takes one of us to know one of us. I can just see things like his disappearing mid afternoon, long lunches and things like him comparing how much he drinks with everyone else to try to justify it. He drinks daily.

He has never challenged me even in my worst days when it's obvious I had a problem. So I am going to be a little more patient and understanding if only for my own sanity at this point.

Hope everyone is having a good day
Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Thank you for the support guys. I needed to post it to make me feel better. I actually should be more patient as I strongly believe my boss is 'one of us' I guess sometimes it takes one of us to know one of us. I can just see things like his disappearing mid afternoon, long lunches and things like him comparing how much he drinks with everyone else to try to justify it. He drinks daily. He has never challenged me even in my worst days when it's obvious I had a problem. So I am going to be a little more patient and understanding if only for my own sanity at this point. Hope everyone is having a good day

That is a great attitude and hopefully you can be a positive influence on your boss.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Heading into my first challenge! Going to a local restaurant for lunch. Would normally order a beer...not today!! I'm ordering an unsweetened iced tea
Old 09-01-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
My poor neighborhood convenience store will probably go out of business. I haven't been there all month.
The owner of my convenience store would put my wine on the counter as soon as she saw me enter the store. It always made me upset when she did that.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Heading into my first challenge! Going to a local restaurant for lunch. Would normally order a beer...not today!! I'm ordering an unsweetened iced tea
Good for you Rah!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Gosh I am sooo cranky today! But I won't drink on it that's for sure!!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Good luck with the restaurant rah try and enjoy the food.

Got to a meeting that's about 20miles away today and it was a step 9 one about making amends, went well. Still had thoughts afterwards of going to a pub but again resisted- I truly hope these thoughts get less and less the longer sober I am because its hard when it hits me.

Shared today about how the compulsion to drink is still in me and that I have a hole in my soul that alcohol has made and that it can overwhelm me at times- got re-assurance from some long time sober people who said that it took them a good few years after first coming to AA to put the drink down although they caused themselves more pain in the process they got it in the end and have many years of sobriety as a result, it did give me hope that I can do this one day at a time.

Hope I didn't come across bitter and twisted in my last post about my ex, of course there are two sides to every relationship story and I do know I was at fault as well as her and its the drinking that made me avoid the decisions that needed to be made years ago. She called me after the meeting and I got to talk to my girls and wish them well for their first day back at school tomorrow and tried to be as polite as I could to her.

Got a major headache tonight but so glad its not a result of alcohol.

Great attitude about your boss sthlondonab, its so easy to react to peoples attitude without considering what they are going through in their own lives- I admire your compassion.

Great that so many of us have stuck around here and made it through to a new month sober, whether day 1 or day 31 we're all together moving forwards.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Success!! Had raspberry iced tea!! No beer!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Wow this is a busy thread!! Everyone is so positive and driven for recovery, I love it!! Day 5 today and my head has really been racing, no temptation or drink thoughts, but have been struggling to focus at times. Felt really upbeat and really too energetic earlier as well, it's so funny how quickly my emotions are fluctuating at the moment but I'm just riding it through. Of to the hospital tomorrow, I pray my lung has healed after it partially collapsed when I unconsciously inhaled my own sick when drunk around a month ago.

Keep it up guys, you are doing amazing.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Good luck with the restaurant rah try and enjoy the food.

Got to a meeting that's about 20miles away today and it was a step 9 one about making amends, went well. Still had thoughts afterwards of going to a pub but again resisted- I truly hope these thoughts get less and less the longer sober I am because its hard when it hits me.

Shared today about how the compulsion to drink is still in me and that I have a hole in my soul that alcohol has made and that it can overwhelm me at times- got re-assurance from some long time sober people who said that it took them a good few years after first coming to AA to put the drink down although they caused themselves more pain in the process they got it in the end and have many years of sobriety as a result, it did give me hope that I can do this one day at a time.

Hope I didn't come across bitter and twisted in my last post about my ex, of course there are two sides to every relationship story and I do know I was at fault as well as her and its the drinking that made me avoid the decisions that needed to be made years ago. She called me after the meeting and I got to talk to my girls and wish them well for their first day back at school tomorrow and tried to be as polite as I could to her.

Got a major headache tonight but so glad its not a result of alcohol.

Great attitude about your boss sthlondonab, its so easy to react to peoples attitude without considering what they are going through in their own lives- I admire your compassion.

Great that so many of us have stuck around here and made it through to a new month sober, whether day 1 or day 31 we're all together moving forwards.
No you don't come across bitter at all. I enjoy reading your posts and I am glad you didn't go into that pub. I know how hard it is to remain friends with an ex but it's for the sake of your children. Just remember drinking on it won't make your situation better
Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Good on you Rah! I loved ordering diet coke when I was in the pub. It was such a novelty
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brach123 View Post
Wow this is a busy thread!! Everyone is so positive and driven for recovery, I love it!! Day 5 today and my head has really been racing, no temptation or drink thoughts, but have been struggling to focus at times. Felt really upbeat and really too energetic earlier as well, it's so funny how quickly my emotions are fluctuating at the moment but I'm just riding it through. Of to the hospital tomorrow, I pray my lung has healed after it partially collapsed when I unconsciously inhaled my own sick when drunk around a month ago.

Keep it up guys, you are doing amazing.
Fingers crossed for you Brach. I have been lucky that I have never vomited in my sleep. I think we are all in the same boat when it comes to fluctuating emotions. My is all over the place today
Old 09-01-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Yes!! Good job rah! That's sounds refreshing actually!!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Hey Team!

Welcome SC and 4llison!

Congrats on 2 weeks AppleKat and Christina!

Yay Rah...what did you eat? I appreciate really good food now that I'm sober. I feel like my sense of smell and taste are improved also.

Post away sthlondonab...great observation and good attitude.

(((KNB))) Hope you feel better soon. Ride out the feeling.

(((Cute))) Today is a new day.

Everyone else on TeamAugust...keep posting and "tell" on your AV here....I found it always helps to be honest.

I just read an excellent book called "Under the Influence" by Milam and Ketchum. I highly recommend it as it removes much of the shame and feelings of weakness around alcohol because it describes in detail the physical difference between alcoholics and nonalcoholics. Here is an excerpt:
"The alcoholic's guilt, depression, self-loathing, and despair are therefore understandable reactions to a bewildering and mysterious inability to stop ravages of drinking. Neither the alcoholic nor those around him know that his cells have become abnormal, for the physical dependence and cellular addiction have worked inside him for months of perhaps years, invisible and unnoticed. No wonder the alcoholic thinks he is weak-willed and pathetic...Without an understanding or knowledge of his addiction, they have no way of knowing that the alcoholic's irrational behavior is beyond his control."

Every time we drink we keep the physical cravings active in our bodies.

Going to enjoy a picnic lunch with my kids, then have lots of work to do on this holiday. Might watch a movie at home tonight after work. It is okay though because my thoughts are clear and I can play all day tomorrow: plan to go for a long bike ride and do some yoga.

Go TA!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Into week two for me, and all systems are go. Feeling like I have more energy, better sleep and getting more done. Sorry I wasted so many years with my moderation efforts. Not having to think about when/what/how much is such a relief. Alcohol is so overvalued in our society.

I don't post here much, but I do read a lot, and am rooting for all of team August!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Okay...heading to my next challenge. Picnic at my parents house. I usually drink a beer, not today! I'm going prepared with a jug of an apple iced tea
Old 09-01-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

I meant snapple iced tea
Old 09-01-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Wow- I feel like I 'graduated' from my 'first grade'- My thread got moved to a whole 'nuther' forum! Hooray!

22 days of being good, under my belt! I woke up today, first thing, with a terrible memory of a bad drinking experience (basically- getting caught/called out) from a couple months ago. I don't want any more of those. 1 more day, right?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Took a mini canoe trip with the little ones today. I could never do that if I was hungover, added to my motion sickness tendency.

Thankful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (90.6 KB, 45 views)