Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 4

Old 08-31-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Just checkin in to say goodnight. Will read up on the posts tomorrow. Hope everyone is well
Old 08-31-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hello to all. Just got back from the dog park with dingo. Was a bit worried that being the hoilday weekend and all, there wouldn't be many friends for her to play with. Glad I was wrong. She had a great time running around and getting really dirty! Another bath is in order for her tonight.
Just reading a few posts and wanted to comment. This class is too much for me to keep up with!
Welcome to pink, glad your bf understands and is being supportive. SR and team August are good places to start. Keep coming back!
Rah, it is hard to fully commit to sobriety, it was for me too. That's why I'm here. Don't feel too bad about going back to day 1. The fact that you are here and reaching out is good.
1step, don't feel bad about venting. That's why we are all here, to help one another.
Forabttrlife, sooner or later we all will get to the point where being sober is a place we are at peace with.
Knb02, sweet dreams.
To the rest of my team, stay strong and stay the course. We can and will overcome.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Gotta admit, sobriety seems to be bringing the irritability this weekend. Had an otherwise very good day with a long meandering bike ride followed by a killer steak on the grill. What's not to be happy about? Just can't seem to put my finger on it. A little tense between me and my wife who, while not caring for fully drunk me, admittedly prefers buzzy me. Or at least doesn't prefer sober irritable me. Not that it's a particularly rosy marriage to begin with. I suppose that will have to work itself out. What's important now is not taking a drink. Yeah I thought about it more than a few times today. Passed a perfect little road house on my ride, but I throttled up and blew by. Thought about the traditional martini/steak combo but let that go pretty quickly. Kind of easy since there's not booze in the house. Time to chill and read the evening away. Tomorrow is another day. A holiday nonetheless. 2 weeks sober today.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GraceCathedral View Post
Way to hang in there team! My family got together with another for dinner. Really nice time. I told my friends that even post-antibiotics I wasn't going to drink. Uneventful.

My 10 y/o made me smile. He knows I've made the choice to go alcohol free to be healthier. After dinner my friend offered me carmel flavored coffee which I accepted. Me son kept whispering "no Dad, no."

I thought he was objecting to the caffeine. Turns out he thought I was getting
an "adult drink". I cleared up the misunderstanding, thanked him for looking out for me, and reaffirmed that I was going to remain alcohol free.
Thanks so much for sharing this grace. I drank around my grandkids many more times then I want to remember. My grandson use to always say to me, nene, why are you doing that? Please don't. You don't act the same when you drink from that green bottle. Out of the mouth of babes. He will never see me that way again, I can assure you. Kids really know what's going on, more then we give them credit for.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hey doingsomething, great job on passing by the pub! And 2 weeks? Awesome. My hub doesn't have these problems with alcohol, and doesn't really understand the new me. Being drunk, submissive, and not giving a damn was easier for him. I've been crabby lately, but he will just have to get over himself. Because this isn't about him, its about ME. You're doing awesome.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Thanks for being understanding, feel calmer now and can see how emotions are still all over the place, so calling my ex even if it was to see how my girls were was probably not the wisest move ive made, glad it didn't turn into an argument or that I didn't drink on it, forgotten how much of a minefield early recovery can be....can relate on the irritability front doingsomething, the feeling passes like a craving does but its not nice when it strikes, well done on getting through and passing by the temptation of the bar.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Slipped up last night. I feel bad. Everyone on this thread seems to be doing so well. Same story, my husband went out to a local bar to listen to music and dance. I drank beer turned out to be the same routine. Don't remember the end of the night. I had a plan for the weekend and was really focused on enjoying the weekend without drinking. I can't explain why I made the decision to drink last night. Once I got there it was like automatic to drink. Feeling bad today. Hungover, it's really hard on my body. I'm 46 and this stuff just kicks my butt. With all of this and my desire to not binge drink anymore you'd think it would be pretty simple to just not drink. I don't get why this is so hard for me.
I have been taking steps toward changing...I recognize I have a binge drinking problem. I've downloaded apps on my phone, have joined this site, been reading books and still I can't seem to implement the change to not drink. It's frustrating. When I am faced with the option of ordering a drink like at a restaurant or at a bar, my first response is to order an alcoholic beverage. It should be the opposite, my response should be to order anything but alcohol. Why am I so weak??
Hi Rah

I don't think you're weak. Addiction has no logic to it.

I do know how you're feeling tho - I looked at sites, read books, carried reminders in my wallets, rubber bands on my wrist to snap...but the one thing I didn't do was change my life.

My life was about drinking. It was impossible for me to stay sober in a life like that.

Think about what changes you're prepared to make...maybe involve your husband in this discussion too?

And...more support is always good - do you think SR is enough support for you? are you open to looking for more at all?

You can do this rah...you're already on the launching pad...you just need to work out what else you need to do to blast off into recovery

D
Old 08-31-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome pink

D
Old 08-31-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Goodnight everyone, just past midnight here, off to bed- 2weeks sober now with all your help, thanks.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I'm staying home tonight instead of going over to a friends house where I know there will be alcohol. Sent the boyfriend to go on without me. He wanted me to go badly.... Asked me more than a few times and eventually i just told him the truth I'm not going because i don't want to drink.
I don't want to drink.
I don't want to drink.
I don't want to drink

Anyway.

I just had a "birthday party" flavored ice cream sandwich for all you who belive in ice cream therapy.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Nice, BBF!! Good choice, on both skipping the gathering and the ice cream.

Rah - sorry for the slip but glad you're back right away. I know what you mean, drinking was starting to be physically awful for me. I could get hungover feeling on "just" 3-4 glasses even lately. Barf. Ouch. Done.

Sunday night. We may rent the movie Labor Day simply because it is a ninety nine cent rental special this weekend on iTunes lol!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations 1step

you can do it BBF - stay strong!
have good night applekat

D
Old 08-31-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Rah I don't think you're weak. Addiction has no logic to it. I do know how you're feeling tho - I looked at sites, read books, carried reminders in my wallets, rubber bands on my wrist to snap...but the one thing I didn't do was change my life. My life was about drinking. It was impossible for me to stay sober in a life like that. Think about what changes you're prepared to make...maybe involve your husband in this discussion too? And...more support is always good - do you think SR is enough support for you? are you open to looking for more at all? You can do this rah...you're already on the launching pad...you just need to work out what else you need to do to blast off into recovery D
I definitely need to make life changes. I've started moving in the right direction. My husband and I recently moved to a new city. I've been looking for activities that don't involve drinking. I probably do need more support. My husband is my drinking buddy. All of my binge drinking episodes with the exception of 1 were with him. He thinks I should be able to control this. When I overdo it he says we just lost track of things. You're right. This won't get better until I make more changes in my life.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Good choice blackbird! I think we have to be willing to do whatever it takes. This is about us and the AV plays for keeps.

Rah, boy do I understand. I am on day 14 today, but should be on 45. I actually made it to the last day of a week vacation, then out of nowhere, we were walking by a pub with outdoor tables and I just sat down and ordered a beer. It was like I never even thought, I felt possessed or something! Then, you know the story from there.... Now I found this site and it is really helping.

Use the slip to remember how easy it happened and learn from it. You already dusted yourself off and got back in the ring! Let's keep fighting to win this thing for good.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Sipping on my sassy water!! Mmmmm!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Morning all! It's beginning of day 15 for me ... Can't believe I made it 15 days after years of never being sober for this long. I'm quite proud of myself.

I'm even prouder that I've been following a low-carb diet the last few days - the pasta and sugar was beginning to become a problem, so I'll deal with the withdrawal from carbs while I try to get myself back on the horse, exercising and eating relatively healthy. With 35lbs gained in just 2 years from drinking, I've a long way to go ...

Have a good day everyone!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

good night all! one more sober day down.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I have been taking steps toward changing...I recognize I have a binge drinking problem. I've downloaded apps on my phone, have joined this site, been reading books and still I can't seem to implement the change to not drink. It's frustrating. When I am faced with the option of ordering a drink like at a restaurant or at a bar, my first response is to order an alcoholic beverage. It should be the opposite, my response should be to order anything but alcohol. Why am I so weak??
(((Rah))) You are not weak. You have a physical addiction to alcohol. I just started reading "Under the Influence" by Milam and Ketcham and was just reading their detailed explanation of why some people process alcohol differently. Normal drinkers will never completely understand.

I looked at your other posts and you only had a few days of sobriety. You need to be patient with yourself and give yourself more sober time to diminish the physical cravings in your body. It is not your fault so stop beating yourself up. So glad you posted. Today is a new day.

I know I can not be around alcohol right now, too early for me...so I am avoiding situations like fancy restaurants and bars. There is no alcohol in my house. I have some social events coming up in a couple months that will be difficult however I will have more sober time under my belt and more recovery tools.

Do what you need to do to stay sober. You are worth it. We are here for you.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Welcome Pink and DoingSomething!

Congrats on 2 weeks Determined! Oh yeah!

Well done today 1stepUp...you are doing great with posting and venting...vent away! Congrats on 2 weeks!

Great job today Penkins...way to smash that AV.

So grateful my physical craving for alcohol is gone. So glad I allowed myself to do whatever was needed to get to 3 weeks. Trying to eat healthier now but it was worth indulging in treats and sleep to stay sober. I am exercising more and see the results quicker now that I am not pouring poison into my body.

Looking forward to a fun holiday picnic with my kids tomorrow complete with BBQ and Sweet Tea at the beach. Definitely going to hit the gelato tomorrow night as a holiday treat.

Good day/night all. Hugs to everyone here on Team August.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
I have woken up this morning and now have four weeks of sobriety time.
Fantastic job on 4 weeks sthlondab!