Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

That ought to show 'em who's boss!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Perfect!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Hey, everybody. I've got my biweekly insomnia again--this time I know it's because I had too much coffee before bed. Just wanted to wish everybody well and encourage you to hang in there and stay sober.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, why'd you have to wake me?
Old 07-20-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Misery loves company!

Any news on the job front?
Old 07-20-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I got the results back from my dad's CT scan. He has had several old strokes, but nothing new, and no brain tumor. He does have vascular calcification and brain shrinkage. I had noticed that he was getting more forgetful over the past couple years, but it really seemed to snowball during the last month.

He does seem to be a bit less confused now, although quite a bit more dependent on my guidance. He is no longer panic-stricken; however, he still is in denial that he is no longer at top form. A few weeks ago, he knew--but now he's eager to backpedal.

My husband will put my dad's car up for sale later today.

Anyway, now that I know that he doesn't have a brain tumor, and I see how much extra time I will need to put in doing errands with him, I think I am clear to start another class on Wednesday (I always like to start on Wednesdays).

It will be nice to have somewhere to park my mind again!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Misery loves company!

Any news on the job front?
A new staffing agency I contacted is presenting me to a company starting a new facility near where my parents live. I've got lots of experience starting and remaking industrial facilities. Sounds like a possibility. I would like to get back out in the country.

Have you thought about getiing your dad some gingko supplements? They're sometimes helpful for clear-mindedness.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Sounds great about the job prospect. I do hope you get to move back to the country.

Thanks for the ginkgo tip. I doubt I could get my dad to try it, because he's already up to his neck in other, totally energy-sapping medications for various ailments, and I think he is afraid of interactions.

I might try it myself, though. Since all this has happened, I have been doing all sorts of boneheaded things--it's as though I'm the one with the dementia! I forget what I'm saying in the middle of a sentence--can't think of the right words, etc.

It's not so bad now, but a couple weeks ago, I was getting rather worried!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hiya

I know I haven't been around much guys

Someone asked if I wasn't getting bored with you guys
its nothing like that

you more established groups just seem to run along well independently.

I've had to economise my time - and newer members and newer groups need more help.

Hopefully housing will be secure again tomorrow and I can get back to normal

D
Old 07-20-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee! Take good care of yourself! We will carry on!
Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Time to put that cast iron fry pan that I've been reseasoning for twenty four hours to use. Bacon and eggs and toast and spicy virgin mary and coffee and, and...
Old 07-20-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

You know, that's a good idea. I've got some bacon and eggs and sausage in the fridge. I was going to use them for dinner tomorrow, but why not surprise the boys now?

Thanks, Trach!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Hi Kids!

Breakfast sounds wonderful Trach. My manfriend has a cast iron skillet that has been seasoned for 20 some years. He about had a heart attack when I tried to put dish soap in it once.

All great cook men have a seasoned cast iron skillet I've found. It would be one of the first things I looked for if I started dating again.

I wonder if any great cook women have one? Lots of women good cooks but I can't think of any who have a cast iron skillet. I suspect it's because they weigh 50lbs and we can't lift them.

Marcher? Gilmer? You have one?

Good news about Papa Gilmer! That's a good sign he's ornery again. I'd take ornery over panic stricken.

Speaking of Papa's. Got to go take supplies and lunch to mine. I'm not up for taking him out with me to the 3 stores I need to go to get him all his snacks. I'm bringing over with Burger King. He loves whoppers. I may drive him to the DQ for ice cream cone. That man eats more sugar than anyone I know. He cracks me up. A couple of his neighbors have been trying to get him to drink with them. He was all hell no. I ain't starting that up again. He quit 40 some years ago.

He will be 82 next week and he still is hell no on the drinking. I hope I have his self esteem when I'm his age.

82, lost the love of his life of 55 years, has no money, lives in assisted living but I'll be damned if he ain't having no part of that wtf attitude.

Go Pappa Shoes!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Your dad sounds great, Shoes.

Yes, I do have a cast iron skillet (so does my mother-in-law)! I put bacon grease in it and used it for the eggs this morning!

Instead of the immense gratitude my shiftless oldest son should have had for the delightful Sunday breakfast, he snapped--"Woman! Where's my coffee?"

He is actually the apple of my eye (the piece of crap). Most mothers and sons hug when they pass by--he and I give each other a mock backhand! It is always hilarious when he visits!

My dad will be 90 this Tuesday.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yea! Go Poppa Shoes!

Shoes, I have two. One round bottom and one flat bottom. Also have 5 corn stick pans. And 5 pieces of Le Creuset. In addition to my stainless steel set.

Nah, I don't like to cook.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Forget the Corvette--that cookware alone makes you an automatic chick magnet!
Old 07-20-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Shoes, I used to always keep a seasoned cast iron skillet! Papa Shoes sounds terrific!

Trachy, good for you to keep the cooking fires hot ;-)

Gilmer, your oldest son sound's like a chip off the old block (mother's that is) .
So glad to hear the results of Papa Gilmer's tests. Can't expect miracles at 90 but we're very fortunate when we have them that long. My dad lived to 93 and mom to 90. Both essentially chose how they were going to go so I feel very fortunate and I had two great examples!

Dee, nice to hear from you. We always appreciate your popping in but understand that there are only a certain number of hours in a day!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi, got some stuff going on at the moment so if you don't hear much from me don't worry. It's not anything I want to share and it won't make me drink, so really don't worry
Hugs to you all xx
Old 07-20-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Oldest offspring sounds fun Gilmer. I like brats. It's fun to be a brat. As long as one can dish it out and take it. That's the only time it works.

Cookware and a tool belt. My dream man.

Thinking of you Toots. Sending good vibes your way. We understand. We will be here when you get back.

xoxo
Old 07-20-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Toots, sending you good thought then...

Shoes, your papa rocks!! And I have a seasoned cast iron skillet too, cook in it every day. When treated properly, it's the best ever non-stick cookware. I'll be sure to tell I that makes me a catch, sometimes she needs reminding... Lol

Good to see everyone! Have a lovely Sunday night!