Notices

Class of July 2014

Old 07-02-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Actually, for me, it's some really heavy exercise...I'm in the midst of training for a marathon. Just ran 5 miles. Sometimes I feel like I just can't run enough...
Old 07-02-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Actually, for me, it's some really heavy exercise...I'm in the midst of training for a marathon. Just ran 5 miles. Sometimes I feel like I just can't run enough...
I was jus thinking today how going back to the gym will be part of my sobriety plan. It would be nice to convert exercise in a new source of fun. I would love to do a 5k at least. Thanks for reminding me about running.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

exercise is a big help....in my experience anyway...on to day 3 tomorrow..
Old 07-02-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Same here...
Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I appreciate and second all the exercise suggestions here. That's always been a huge help for me. I went for a run today when my AV was acting up and after a few minutes of running, the AV was GONE.

Only a few hours left in day 5 for me... Always the hardest day for me for some reason.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

You guys are doing great ;-)

You can all be a really good support to each other to keep on track .

Keep posting , good that a few of you have running in common

Old 07-02-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Congratulations to all of the July members, both brand new and those returning for another commitment.
Next week will make 8 months for me. I wont bore you with my story, but I will say that the challenges ahead of you in the next days, weeks and months and maybe years, will be a small price to pay for the ticket to the sober dance. 8 months and I still have the urges now and again. I am still pissed at myself for drinking so heavily for the last 45 years so that I can't enjoy a drink with my friends and family ever again. That is a fact and I will live with it. Bummer right? No it isnt. It will allow me to live longer and be at my grandsons high school grad and maybe even their weddings. It will allow me to never fear a police road check again. It will allow me never be ashamed of what happened the night before. It will allow me spend healthy time with those that have loved me all these years. My 3 great kids, my life saving wife and yes even myself. I enjoy myself again. I didnt for a lot of years.
That's enough of my soap box. I wish you all the best in your journey. Anything you experience good or bad from this day forward, has been experienced by others on this forum. Listen to what these people have to say. It may not all work for you, but one thing will. Give yourself credit for taking the first step. The toughest one. Each one from now on gets a little less heavy.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Rick i loved reading that , thanks so much xx

That's such great advice for all the newbies & oldies

So good to read stories like yours, it shows us all that it can be done xxxx
Old 07-02-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Just finished day 4. Just trying really hard to fight the AV and the craving. Feeling pretty good otherwise. Drinking hasn't been worth it at all for me lately either. I have children and a relationship falling apart. I think I might be strong enough to get through another day. And I know you guys can too!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Great to read everyone's posts, I will try the gym too. It's 7am here in the uk, just starting day 2. Not the best start, woke up in a sweat after having a terrifying nightmare that ended up with me jumping out of the window to die and wake myself up. I'm running late for getting the boys to school now, praying for a sober day, gets hardest at 4pm onwards for me :/
Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Oh - 7.05am and my head just reminded me that I didn't drink yesterday so should have drink tonight. Thanks head.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jallisse View Post
Great to read everyone's posts, I will try the gym too. It's 7am here in the uk, just starting day 2. Not the best start, woke up in a sweat after having a terrifying nightmare that ended up with me jumping out of the window to die and wake myself up. I'm running late for getting the boys to school now, praying for a sober day, gets hardest at 4pm onwards for me :/
It will be a beautiful day today here.. I am planning to go to my local park and spend the afternoon there and make the most of it.
Stay strong it will get only better.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Just checking in . . . Not much to report. Shot pool for the first time in a long time. I forgot how much I love that game!! I'm gonna have to go back on Sunday . . . The free pool day

Rickh54: thanks so much for those inspiring words! They really mean a lot
Old 07-03-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Starting day 3 in Germany.

I think a certain amount of "white knuckle" riding it out is inevitable. I had that last night. Logged on here and read-- helped me succeed.

My pattern is common: Something stressful/unfair happens, and my mind tells me "I'll show them!" (in my case it's "her.") The "showing" is getting drunk. Of course the only person who suffers is myself. I saw it happening last night, almost like observing myself from a distance, and managed to ride it out.

"One day at a time" becomes "one hour at a time." Or even one minute.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Morning all, day 3 here ( my favourite) had a horrible sweaty night with next to no sleep as to be expected, AV started chatting away last night ( that was quick usually takes until the withdrawals have gone but I just read more recovery/addiction info and ignored it). Hoping to get out for a walk today to help clear my head a bit. Im another big exerciser here, am either exercising everyday or unable to move with a hangover. Hope everyone has a good strong day. Peace X
Old 07-03-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Day 2 here. Already planning ahead.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Another mantra for me: Whatever it is that's bothering me, I can't possibly drink enough to make it better.

I know because I've tried. Over and over.

Differences for me this time:

1. this site.

2. changing diet, "near zero" carbs;

3. I have a better grasp on the things that caused me to slip in the past-- I can feel them coming on, and I now recognize those feelings for what they are;

4. Feel more motivated for several reasons;

5. My biggest excuse for slipping in the past-- I'm a very "high bottom drunk" with fewer consequences than many, tempting me to think I can handle moderation-- has failed enough times now, that I believe I can convince myself not to listen to the voice advocating that failed option.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome brasa melina whyme, recklesseric and Kevin

D
Old 07-03-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Day 2. Feeling a little depressed at the moment. It's the after effects of the slip up I had on July 1st. I made a fool of myself and the feelings of shame and guilt are still fresh. I have to just work through it and focus on what's good.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, is it ok if I slip back in?

I’ve managed periods of sobriety about three times in the past couple of years (a whole three months at the start of this year) but each time I fell into the trap of thinking “Well, if I can give up for x days I clearly don’t have a problem so just one glass won’t hurt”. And in five seconds flat I’m right back where I started.

I’m so done with this see-saw of sober-drunk-sober-drunk. I’m ready to accept I have a problem and I will never be able to moderate. Never ever ever.

Day 4 today. Looking forward to getting to know you all, Julyers.