Notices

Class of July 2014

Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in for day 5 here. Feeling pretty good but dodn't get good sleep last night due to a slight cold.

ANewDay: I agree with the "it's not worth it" statement. I had over 90 days of sobriety and let my AV convince me that getting some beers could help with a headache and generally feeling down. Three weeks of drinking later, my wife found my new stash and confronted me. It's amazing what we will listen to from our AV.

Peacehappyness: I agree about the kindling effect. That's the physical addiction effect that says no matter how long we quit if we start back up our tolerance, etc will be right back to when we quit right?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Peacehappyness: I agree about the kindling effect. That's the physical addiction effect that says no matter how long we quit if we start back up our tolerance, etc will be right back to when we quit right?[/QUOTE]

Hi FacingFuture, that's right its like you just carried on drinking the whole time with increasing detrimental effects. I was just saying on another post that I black out with much less alcohol these days but the withdrawals are getting harder and longer, very scary stuff and I know this is going to happen before I drink!! Makes no sense to carry on drinking but guess that is part of the madness of addiction X
Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Kindling effect means each time you go through withdrawal it is worse.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Frustrated but OPTIMISTIC!!

Well, I had officially started my sobriety on Saturday, June 30--a day I was suffering from yet another day-ruining hangover! At that time, however, I had decided that I wasn't going to give up alcohol; rather, I was going to cut back drastically. Yeah. That didn't last very long at all. Yesterday, I decided to have "a drink." Well, as most of you have probably experienced, THAT drink turned into FIVE. And, since my poison of choice is VODKA, I got drunk. I woke up this morning with yet another hangover, and it is then that I decided that I have to quit alcohol altogether. Of course, this is not the first time I've made this decision. This is, however, the first time that I have joined any sort of support group. I hope this helps because, quite honestly, I am at my wits ends with this cycle of alcohol abuse!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group jagmah15! Think a few of us can relate to you, I've tried and failed in the past to give up without support. This site makes a big difference, I also went to AA today which is fantastic. I'm attacking this nasty addiction from all sides!
Sending you positive vibes
Old 07-02-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Day 2, feeling pretty strong. I hope you a are having a good day!
Old 07-02-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hello Class of July 2014!!!

I am from the March 13 class, and I can say that this site is one of the best things you can do for yourself and your recovery.

Next week I'll have 16 months since my last drink. While it can be very difficult at first, it does get easier.

Like anyone else, I still have bad days, but, those days are no longer compounded by hangovers, arguments, forgotten appointments, lost keys, lost car, handcuffs, lawyer bills, blackouts or any other acts of drunken stupidity.

If you are new here, take some time and read others posts, ask questions, read about all recovery strategies, there is no "one size fits all". If what you are doing isn't working, add another tool. One that helped me early on was to say "I retired" instead of quit. Just sounds better to me.

Checking in here before you decide to drink will do more for you that checking in after the fact, but If you do hit a bump, come right back and start fresh.

You can do it!

Stay Strong
Ken
Old 07-02-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi, this is my first post, today is day 1, I've been trying to stop / cut down for years. Had a good stab at it in na a few years back but have gone far downhill again. I've tried to stop drinking and taking downers recently but give in to temptation. Last night I got in a drunken rage and lost more friends. I'm about to start a new job and feel like I'm running out of time to get my act together or I won't be able to hide what a mess I am inside. I want to stop but can only go a few days before needing something to take the edge off :/ if other people are doing it at the same time maybe it'll help?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

jallisse, welcome! You will find a lot of information and support here. You have to ask yourself how badly do you want to quit and why and prepare a plan on how you want to go about it. Ask yourself what's tempting you and is it ever worth it, do you ever feel better afterwards. Alcohol and downers are not your beloved friends, they are ruining your life.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ANewDay2014 View Post
So upset. Today is Day 1. I was up to 13 days sober, and it all went wrong yesterday. Today I should be celebrating 2 weeks sober, but I'm back where I started instead. I was tired and had a terrible headache, after a horrendous day in work, and somehow that alcoholic voice won over. Disgusted with myself. Drank a whole bottle of vodka, and it wasn't even worth it. I've disappointed myself and my partner too. He'd been watching my recovery and admiring my strength to do it, and then had to witness my drunkenness once more yesterday. Yet again I've had to make up an excuse not to be in work, no way I could go in with the state I'm in.
Hi ANewDay
Many of us faltered a time or two. Beating yourself up does nothing productive.

I think you made it really hard on yourself tho?

you had a perfect storm there - tired, terrible headache, bad day - those are the exact times that we need to really focus on ourselves and our recovery needs - come here for support, or go lie down, or go do something we like doing...

If we don't fight that addictive voice, chances are it will win, so fight it with everything you have

D
Old 07-02-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome jagmah, peacehappyness and jallisse

D
Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by bellaboos View Post
Hi guys, going to try and check in here often
ANEWDAY20014, I can just imagine how your feeling. We give in to it and then feel like complete rubbish. I like your comment ' it wasn't even worth it' and I'm going to keep that in mind when I'm struggling this week.Well done for getting straight back on track. It's my birthday July 4th and the best present I can give myself is sobriety. Totally free too.
If I'm tempted I'm getting straight on here
Stay strong and well done everyone
Bellaboos - the best birthdays I've had have been sober ones
You can absolutely do this.

D
Old 07-02-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Making my way through Day 2 right now. Unfortunately I'm dealing with some serious depression, something that I used to suppress with alcohol whenever it cropped up. I'm not quite sure what to do about it this time...
Old 07-02-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hey, I would love to join! Today is Day 1...its been rough :/ I love Beer but it doen't love me back! So with that, Hello Group!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LaFoi

Illuminate, a lot of folks find a little light exercise can help shift those early recovery blues?

D
Old 07-02-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi all! I'd like to join you and be more active on SR to help me on my recovery. I had recently tried sobriety in April, but it only lasted less than a week... Sigh!

For what I have read here I most probably failed because I did not have a plan or a strong support network to make me accountable, so this time I'm drafting myself a solid plan and make sure I keep on the right path. Today is day 3 for me and my foggy mind is starting to clear up. Yesterday was hard.... I was lethargic and just wanted to sleep. I'm glad to see an engaged class and looking forward to know more about you all.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi all!

I'm Melina!

I'm from the Sept 13 class, but I need to join this one, too, as I haven't strung together much sobriety since that first 37 day stretch back then.

I'm looking forward to spending Dry July with you all!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'd like to join too. I'm at day 5. I'm looking forward to sharing my journey with you all and hearing about yours
Old 07-02-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Whoo hoo welcome to all the July peeps! Good month to quit, July 21 is when my life changed for the better! July is special month for me .

Good luck to everyone, keep posting and support each other. You all can do this!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi all.
Starting again.
Oh well, I really have the desire this time.
I type this from bed at the end of day 3.
I'm not in my own bed, beside my wife and across the hall from my daughter.
That will take a little time.
But I'm optimistic.
Stay safe y'all!