Notices

Quitting pot (and alcohol) for good - III

Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Hey Krete, hey Stoogy, how are you doing guys

Yes, thread has been a bit dead lately, but still going

I'm ok, taking care of myself. Went to the doctor and made many blood tests this week. My health isn't very well, that's a little depressing, but I'm taking care.

One of the tests pointed to high risk of heart disease (as I'm fat), which is scaring. Doctor said that I could improve it in the short term by drinking 1 or 2 glasses of wine per day.

I was tempted to act on his advice, as alcohol is not really my drug of choice (pot is). But then, alcohol is a major trigger for craving, and I like to stay clean from alcohol too, I think it's like poison to the liver and a spiritual issue as well.

So I think I will choose to improve my health in the long term, dieting and exercising, instead of risking everything on wine.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Working on my health too. I made it through the weekend. Morrow day 8
Old 07-14-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Well done, foneho stay strong
Old 07-14-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, how are you today

I'm fine, although I haven't found yet the energy to study and exercise.

At least I'm sober and improving each day, I guess.

Have a great day everyone
Old 07-14-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

im surprised a doctor recommended alcohol to help you.. that's sad in my eyes.

if you're overweight you should work on reducing your weight. that's #1 in reduction in heart disease. i know about this stuff i'm a fitness freak, or use to be, and once you reach above 20% body fat, you're risk for health problems dramatically increase.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Yes Krete, you are completely right, of course you are.

See, the c reactive protein marker (us-CRP) is very good at predicting heart disease risk, way more accurate than LDL/ HDL/ total cholesterol profiles. Although my cholesterol numbers are good (as I'm dieting), my us-CRP numbers are crap right now. CRP is secreted by fat cells, therefore loosing weight is the obvious way to reverse these numbers.

I agree that it's sad a doctor suggest alcohol, but he is not completely wrong, as wine's resveratrol can rapidly decrease CRP levels, which is a inflamatory substance, a pretty dangerous one.

The good news is that resveratrol can be bought as a supplement, and is found in grapes, not in wine specifically. So it's pretty douche to advice on drinking wine when doctors could simply prescribe grape juice or resveratrol supplements.

In short, there is no reason to drink alcohol. Alcohol is not good for anything (except it's great for destroying the liver).
Old 07-14-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

right in understand the potential positive outcomes from drinking wine..but just like you suggested, it can be achieved through other means. while wine may help your heart, it will damage other organs to your body.

i hope it all works out for you. if youre feeling like i am right now, i have no energy do to do anything even though im forcing myself...feeling like crap today!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, Krete. I feel bad too.

But ... we have to fight.

Will is a powerful thing.

Sadly, my will is very weak lately. All I'm managing to do is being sober and dieting, which are positive things, but does not solve half of my issues. Just have to try harder, push harder, I guess. I really don't know.

Hope you (we) feel better soon buddy
Old 07-14-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

"The alcohol's presence in wine increases free radicals, which cause damage to blood vessels tissues, dampening any of the benefits that red wine's antioxidants may offer, says Dr. John Foltz, researcher at the University of Wisconsin. Purple grape juice can give the benefits without the intoxicating effects (17). Grape juice contains more resveratrol, a supposed cholesterol lowering substance, than most red wine (18). Grape juice improves the function of the cells in blood vessel linings more efficiently than wine (17). Andrew Weil, M.D., suggests that grape juice may prove to be healthier than wine because a study found that after drinking nonalcoholic wine, the catechin, an antioxidant flavonoid, remained for almost an hour longer in the blood than when drinking the alcoholic wine. His added comment was that although grape juice doesn't appear to boost your HDL, regular aerobic exercise can be added. Exercise, diet (including fruits and vegetables), and meditation are safer ways to improve one's health without the added risks when drinking wine (19). "

Old 07-14-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

^ yep that's what i'm saying just stick to grape juice

plus who needs to be intoxicated..so much better. anytime i think of drinking, the after effects of the night/morning always convince me otherwise.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

I'm with you guys too. I have high blood pressure and am over weight. Living in farm country helps, lot of fresh fruits and veggies. So my diet has been getting better for the last few weeks.lost 10lb
. I was just sure that being sober would give me more energy! Last week I just thought it was part of the detox. Today starts week two... Still haven't found gumpshin to do anything I wanted to do. Research needs done, a class needs checked on, new job needs found. I think I'll take a nap....sober
Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

foneho i'm still lacking energy 5 months in...its tough for me...if i wasn't in so much physical pain i'd be a helluva lot better..ugh
Old 07-15-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

I'm still lacking energy too... 5 months sober... maybe it's PAWS?

But I'm feeling better lately as I'm taking some vitamins, specially high doses of vitamin C, appears to be helping. I'm not felling the need of drink coffee as I used to.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

im gonna stop caffeine again tomorrow take another week or 2 break ...i woke up last night in the midle of the night and realized my sleep is probably terrible because of my caffeine intake..im not gettin that proper rem sleep that allows deep rest etc..i wake up wanting to go back to bed...not feeling refreshed.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

oh, an update about that girl that tryed to kill her herself while in my presence..she got admitted to a psych institution for 2 weeks..during those 2 weeks we talked daily and i was being very supportive..

well needless to say, the day she got out, she went crazy on me and threatened to call the cops on me for all kinds of weird crap..she called the cops on my friend and said they were hitting their children....anyways i went straight to the cops and filed a report and applied for a restraining order for protection of my daughter...

people are crazy man.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

wow!!! What a crazy girl, Krete!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I'm still drinking caffeine, 32 oz cup with lots of ice, I just keep adding water and it last me most of the day. I started dreaming again, haven't done that in years! One of the things that has gone up is the sugar intake. I almost never ate anything sweet more of a nuts and cheese kinda person. OMG, I feel like I'm eating candy buy the pound. The Dr says its normal to replace the sugar from no booze. Still not a habit I want!! I don't take vitamins either, should I? I'm always worried about anything that will "give me energy". I stopped the meth almost 13 years ago and won't even take dayt8me cold meds. So should I take a multi vitamin? I don't remember what its like to feel healthy, kinda freaks me out a bit.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

I still drink coffee too, but not as much as I used to.

In regard to vitamins, well I think everybody should take them, I often read a little about it and there are many health benefits. But eating right is very important too.

Have a nice day everyone. (where are you Stoogy, hope you are alright).
Old 07-16-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by brazilian View Post
I still drink coffee too, but not as much as I used to.

In regard to vitamins, well I think everybody should take them, I often read a little about it and there are many health benefits. But eating right is very important too.

Have a nice day everyone. (where are you Stoogy, hope you are alright).

Hey Guys, sorry I've been absent for a few days, had a bit of a tough time at work and basically been going to sleep real early in the evenings so not had any time to post.

I'm doing good though guys and will post soon although I'm away for the weekend, going down to watch the British open golf, so will be back on Monday.

This job really sucks though and I'm fighting every day just to stay sober and I hate this feeling.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Hey Stoogy, glad to hear from you.

Sorry that the job sucks... I actually don't know any job that does not suck a lot.

Stay Strong