Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 12

Old 07-14-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
Congrats on 11 months, Sheknits!
I second those congrats! Way to go, SheKnits!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Congrats SheKnits!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Great job!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys! What a nice surprise to log in and read all the congratulations!

It's finally hitting home for me.

Whenever I tied to quit previously I would sabotage myself with "what abouts"

What about Christmas? What about my birthday? What about may long, July long, august long? What about camping? What about fishing? What about ice fishing. What about hanging out with my sisters? What about concerts? What about date nights and anniversaries? What about weekends at my parents? What about Halloween parties? What about Easter? What about bonfires and barbecues?

But last night it hit me. I've made it through almost a full rotation of "what abouts". I made it through every single "what about" I've been through without drinking.

I NEVER have to drink again.

What a relief!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sheknits View Post
But last night it hit me. I've made it through almost a full rotation of "what abouts". I made it through every single "what about" I've been through without drinking.

I NEVER have to drink again.

What a relief!
You nailed it!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats from me too sheknits

D
Old 07-15-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sheknits View Post
But last night it hit me. I've made it through almost a full rotation of "what abouts". I made it through every single "what about" I've been through without drinking. I NEVER have to drink again. What a relief!
Thanks for your post Sheknits, it came at the right time. I have a couple of long sailboat trips coming up later this year and I have been thinking they represent a risk to my sobriety. Just reading you express never drinking again as a relief has allowed me to reframe these trips in my mind.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Sheknits , your post hit home! So many of those events had worried me last fall....I was sure I could not make it thru all the what ifs! Still a couple of them for summer, but I also will never drink again!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

V, isn't today your soberversary? Woohoo on 11 months!
Old 07-15-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Thought for today! I am more aware of how much friends drink than ever! Thought occurred to me that some friends are watching me not drink and wish they could stop....many have reduced their amounts around me considerably..one friend wishes her husband could be as strong as me! Only Because I have you guys!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Another thought for today. I am very aware of how mich my family drinks. You should have seen all the bottles I hauled away to recycle today. I don't think I quite realized before.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
V, isn't today your soberversary? Woohoo on 11 months!
Oh, Kadi, you are lovely. This is your second congratulatory post -- you must be keeping track of anniversaries! Thank you!

Yep, 11 months.

I like life better this way.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elseware View Post
Another thought for today. I am very aware of how mich my family drinks. You should have seen all the bottles I hauled away to recycle today. I don't think I quite realized before.
Yeah ... reminds me of my life, pre-recovery. Ugh.

How are you doing, Else? I have been thinking of you. Sending the positive vibes your way, friend.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Congratulations V!!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oceanlady View Post
Thought for today! I am more aware of how much friends drink than ever! Thought occurred to me that some friends are watching me not drink and wish they could stop....many have reduced their amounts around me considerably..one friend wishes her husband could be as strong as me! Only Because I have you guys!
We have each other, Oceanlady.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Oh, Kadi, you are lovely. This is your second congratulatory post -- you must be keeping track of anniversaries!
Lol. Not on purpose. I guess after so many months they are starting to stick in my head, haha.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! I would like to let you all know that my husband's neck is much better so the Vicodin is now completely gone from the house. I don't seem to be having any cravings these days. The last pill I took was about a month ago. And I never took more than one in a day. I feel very relieved that things did not escalate for me. I actually feel better right now than I have for a long time, even though there is so much smoke in the air it's kicking up my asthma. Fires burning all around. Yes, I screwed up, but now I'm back on track and that feels good. It was that resumption of the pills that got me to finally admit to my psychiatrist what was really going on for me. What a relief that was! It was a good move to finally say it out loud to another human. I have adjusted well to the new med he put me on. A mood stabilizer (anticonvulsant). It seems, after a couple of weeks now, to have leveled out the mood swings I've been having without everything being totally dull. I just feel......well, fine. Been going to aerobics and yoga. Not been riding much because it's very hot and smokey. I don't like to work my horses when it's like this.

Congratulations to all of you on reaching 11 months. I am so proud and happy for you all. I know how you have all struggled. I didn't make it but I am still much better off than I was last year at this time. And I'm keeping on keeping on. So I'm happy about that, too.

And I actually managed the big family visit. Do you realize what a victory that was for me? My family is difficult. In the past I've just been out of it when they came. It's amazing what asking for a little help can do for you. They actually enjoyed feeding and watering animals. Who knew!?
Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great update Else. Glad things are going well and that you were able to change the family dynamic. I'm sure they appreciated their new roles as much as you did.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Elsewhere, so awesome to here all the positivity in your post! Your strength astounds me. One tiny stumble will not be your downfall!

I was driving my kids to the in laws today and was struck by the beauty of our crops here in Saskatchewan. May be the prairies, and while the joke goes that you could watch your dog run away for days, there is beauty in it! We have some very beautiful lakes and valleys too!

I realized I hadn't shared any photos for a while. Or much of anything for that matter. The last photos I posted were the dead of winter, so here is the height of summer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-1920620509.jpg (35.1 KB, 27 views)
image-2084049222.jpg (30.3 KB, 26 views)
image-72427469.jpg (51.0 KB, 26 views)
image-3992311466.jpg (46.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

[QUOTE="Sheknits;4784364"]May be the prairies, and while the joke goes that you could watch your dog run away for days, there is beauty in it!/QUOTE]

Sheknits, that made me laugh. When I lived in North Dakota people said "if you stand on a beer can you can see Montana".