Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 10

Old 05-30-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Kat, LOVE Mario kart!!! Oh and I wish I had your motivation to work out....though I spent today cleaning and gardening which in my mind counts lol. I actually think housecleaning burns a decent amount of calories just not sure how you would determine the exact amount...

Well, guys, I GOT THE JOB I interviewed for the other day!!! It's part-time at first but the manager wants to get me on track right away to start management training since I have experience and they're in the process of opening new locations! I start Tuesday!

Chick!!!! We missed you!!!!! SO HAPPY you're back, we were getting worried. Try not to let the slip get you down, I feel like most of us have been there...we ain't called the April Fools for naught! Haha I kid, but seriously, you've still come a long way and it's only uphill from here yes? Xoxoxo

As for my Friday night plans, hubs is cooking me a pasta dinner to celebrate the job and two months sober (officially Sunday but we probably won't have time to cook a big meal that day)..then we are starting Downton Abbey season 4!

I'll be popping in here and there over the weekend to see how all you guys are doing for now I'm going to crack into my new library book...
Old 05-30-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

I think too, that I am experiencing a huge change in the coarse of my life with after 30 years of rearing boys...I'm on the downhill slide & don't get me wrong that I'm not looking forward to that just a bit, but there is a part of me that is going to be "lost". I don't know....just trying to get some feeling out here tonight. Super tired. Night you cool fools[/QUOTE]

Mariah, I am going through the same thing... it's hard to see them grow up. My oldest is going off to college in the fall and I am having trouble making peace with only having one left in the house, and that one is only home for 2 more years. It's a tough thing. I think my biggest fear is not staying busy enough and getting into trouble during times of extreme boredom...
Old 05-30-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
3777 - I have the same trip, in early August. Big family, big beach house, wine and beer and fun beach drinks. I've decided to not worry about it yet. Today is today. (I know, I know. Easier said than done.)
Applekat I have decided that just because I don't drink alcohol, that doesn't mean I can't have fun beach drinks! Just make them virgins! I used to love a salty dog with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice... now it's grapefruit juice in a salt rimmed glass
Old 05-30-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Well I screwed up again.

I know that my husband will support me and I think the only way I can do this is to tell him and maybe even ask him not to drink around me for awhile. Or let him know that if he's going to be drinking I'm going to go do something in another part of the house.

I'm pretty depressed. But I'm trying to remember that I have still made progress. This is the first time I've had a hangover in a really long time. So this is setting me back a lot,but I'm still in a better place than I was a couple of months ago.

I don't know how I possibly thought I'd be able to do this without talking to my husband about it. Maybe I was embarrassed, or maybe an evil part of myself wanted to have the option of drinking. Whatever the case, I'm suffering now. I have confidence that I can do this if I talk to him and be honest with him, and MYSELF, about what needs to be done.
Sol, I think being honest with him is key. Once you get that out, I'm sure he will fully support you. Don't beat yourself up! It's hard to stay sober when it's sitting right in front of you. I know I can't do it. My rule is zero booze in the house. I don't even have vanilla extract! My hubby likes a drink once in awhile but he is respecting that I am vulnerable right now and need to keep it away from the house so he only has a beer when he's out with friends.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by izzy8 View Post
Good morning everyone!

You guys are such an inspirational bunch of fools! I'm signing our family up at the gym today for the summer. That's always been my best way to get in shape and feel like I'm taking care of myself. It's also an early Father's Day gift for my husb bc he has really been trying to get in shape.

Then- I'll be off to buy dirt... And flowers... Can't wait!

I'm learning that I've got to put some legs under the idea of "really living my life so I don't fall back into the rut of the pseudo excitement of wine at nite". So, have been doing lots of thinking and planning regarding what that looks like ... For me... And how to get there.

A little trick I learned a while back... Wanted to share as it always helps get me out of a mental rut:

Imagine what you really want. No "holds bar". In fact, imagine that you have a magic wand that you can wave over your current situation to make it exactly what you would like- really like.

Got it?

Write that down- in detail. Remember- magic made it happen, so you don't need to worry about limitations.

Have you written it down, in detail?

Next, think of one, small thing that you can so today to move you just one step closer to that magic.

Got it?

I hope everyone takes at least one step closer to their dreams today. I know that I let life wear me out. I quit dreaming. But when we quit dreaming, we start dying.

Let's be dreamin' fools...
That is lovely Izzy. Thank you so much for your wisdom!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adnamaeel View Post
Good morning Fools,
Solitary, it was great to see you having such a positive day yesterday. I really hope you just keep feeling better.

Obosob, I'm glad you're working it out with your wife, and are feeling stronger every day, hopefully the simple stuff will get easier.

Rocks, I hope today is even better than yesterday. Maybe avoid that particular store for now. I avoid it always...

Overwhelmed, thanks for the book recommendations, I'm going to load those on my kindle, too.

Panacea, you were probably due for a day off. I'm not a runner, but every other kind of exercise I've done includes recommendations for days off, too. I hope you're all rested up.

Diva, I'm always glad to see you whenever you show up. I'm not experienced with therapists, but I would think a good one would know better than to be pushy or put you on the defensive. Maybe this isn't the right one for you.

Mariah, I think that transitional times like what you're going through can be terrifying, even if the coming change is something you want and look forward to. I hope you can relax the expectations you have of yourself a little bit, it's always hard to give ourselves a break, but you deserve one. Yoga helps me with anxiety quite a bit, even just a couple minutes of it. There are a lot of yoga workouts on line.

Freein, I hope it was a good day at work, and that You have a healthy and sober weekend.

Topspin, you made me laugh again. Welcome to the slumber party, you just sit there, and we'll make you pretty.

AppleKat, any chance you can take a nap today? I am confident you can keep squashing that voice, I hope you are, too.

Normi, I hope your trip goes well, and that you don't worry too much about your plants. Balance really is important, especially as hard as you work. As for the kids and smoking, I agree that they'll figure it out, their dad might figure that out someday.

3777, I'm also worried about a July event. It will be my biggest test so far too. Mine is a huge annual public event that brings in about 20,000 people, and I've gotten way too involved in making it happen. Behind the scenes it's like a smorgasbord of intoxicating delights. Not so delightful anymore... I'm trying to feel confident, but not arrogant about getting through it unscathed. Have you ever had Martinelli's sparkling cider? I think it's a great substitute for a festive adult beverage.

Izzy, I love your strategy, thank you. I hope we all take one step closer to our dreams today, too. Thank you for that beautiful thought. Have fun with your flowers, and enjoy the gym.

Soliloquy, don't be embarrassed. You have made progress, and also gone through your very own Hell this past month, we can only start from where we are. I think talking to your husband is a really good idea, and I hope you get some solid support from him. Please don't beat yourself up. You don't deserve that from yourself at all.

It's another work weekend for me, and I have a lot to do before it starts. My motivation still hasn't come back as much as I would like it to, but I'm working on it.
I hope today is everything you all want and need it to be. Thanks for being here, every one of you.
And thank YOU, Adna, for being here for us.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
3777 I don't think my husband will be surprised because I've been saying that we both need to cut back. I don't think he'll stop but I know that me stopping will definitely cause him not to drink as much. I think he can slow down and not have a problem. I'm beginning to truly realize that I can't have any. At all. Because those times when I have one drink fool me into believing I have control.
PS you are right about the Dior mascara! Worth every penny. I'd never tried it before but got it based on reviews. Best ever!

Just right now my husband called, he talked to my dad. I knew my mom was on a ventilator but I didn't realize it was life support. Also the 1/5 survival rate for the surgery she had was not just for the surgery but recovery as well. I did not realize that either and was overly optimistic because she made it through and thought things would be getting better. Things aren't looking good. I am shaken but I am not going to lose hope.

Please pray for my mom and my dad. He married her when she was 19 and he was 22 and they've been inseparable ever since. This is killing him too.
Prayers on the way. Please take care of yourself.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SolitaryThinker View Post
Thanks adna, a little rough today but hanging in for sure, not overwhelmed, just tired and working....hang in there soli! <3
I second Adna, ST. You sound so much better! Keep it up! I am so pleased to read your positive thoughts
Old 05-30-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
Hi guys. Day 1 for me, I'm ashamed, embarrassed and full of anxiety.
Okay I guess I'm too old to figure out how to attach a picture to a post, so I'm just going to give you the quote:

"If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present." - Lao Tzu

Let go of your shame. It's over. You are presently sober. Be glad of that. We all slip and fall sometimes. Your April family is here to help pick you up, dust you off, and get moving forward again.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

I pulled another 3.1 miles out of you know where. Nice to do that in addition to the Pilates fix which feels wimpy. Ok truthfully I just dislike pilates a lot because I have a weak core and am pretty inflexible. But while I did the treadmill my 2 year old popped out a window screen. This non-napping/non-break crap has got to stop. The kids NEED the sleep but they WON'T sleep. They are permanently overtired and grumpy. OK. Vent over. I had to scream into the computer, otherwise I'd be screaming at hubby to pick up a 'treat'.

Done and done. Anyone have any Friday night plans to share? I would really love to get a movie to watch with the hubs. Relax with some bedtime tea. No clue what's out though!

Let's all stay on the bus this weekend!!!!
I'm going to try some yoga tonight. Yikes.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Mrsbee - I don't do any gardening, ever. And very little housecleaning. I'm basically a terrible housewife. But a good mom. I am confident you burned a ton of calories from your activities today, and have a clean house and garden to top it off!!

Overwhelmd - you're on a roll tonight!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Mrsbee - I don't do any gardening, ever. And very little housecleaning. I'm basically a terrible housewife. But a good mom. I am confident you burned a ton of calories from your activities today, and have a clean house and garden to top it off!!

Overwhelmd - you're on a roll tonight!
Just trying to catch up on a million posts before I leave work... it's 4:30 here, I have another half hour and my boss is out of the office. When the cat's away the mice will play
Old 05-30-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Administrator

attachments........

you need to be in full reply mode, not quick reply...if you scroll down, you'll see an 'attach files' box...then a 'manage attachments' button...

hit that and you can upload from your PC there, assuming it's within the prescribed limits of size (you'll see them there when you upload).

D
Old 05-30-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
attachments........

you need to be in full reply mode, not quick reply...if you scroll down, you'll see an 'attach files' box...then a 'manage attachments' button...

hit that and you can upload from your PC there, assuming it's within the prescribed limits of size (you'll see them there when you upload).

D
Is that the same for a Mac? That's what I have at work. It doesn't seem to be very compatible with, well, anything.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's part of the forum software so it should be - unless anyone more mac knowledgeable knows better than me?

D
Old 05-30-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is the other way to post pics - from a file host like photobucket etc.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...our-posts.html

D
Old 05-30-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Thank you!!!!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

I could go for some original Nintendo Mario right now. Or Mario kart.
i actually was just at the game store and tried Mario kart 8! It's awesome and the graphics are so good! I'm actually getting tacos and then crawling into my cave lol, I have Mario kart on my Nintendo 3ds it's wonderful
Old 05-30-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by overwhelmd View Post
I second Adna, ST. You sound so much better! Keep it up! I am so pleased to read your positive thoughts
thanks overwhelmed