Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 10

Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucrezia View Post
Hey everyone!

I always feel like I'm ignoring people on here... but, I just don't know what to say sometimes.

Edit: I've been taking a lot of magnesium citrate lately. That seems to help me with anxiety, stomach troubles and digestion, sleeping, and cravings (once I take it for awhile - it does seem to help). Also chamomile and lemon balm tea... (and of course, all the rooibos!) So. I don't know why I'm sharing this.
Luc! Thank you for sharing! I feel the same way! I want to respond to everyone since I'm reading everyone's posts. They are all helpful in some way. I don't think I could have done this alone. The bottle is a bad bad thing and the mind is very tricky. Hearing people describe feelings and struggles helps name and define the issue. I believe if you name it, and call it out for what it is, we can beat this thing.

The magnesium thing helps me sleep too. I have something called "Calm" that helps when I want to feel more calm. It's a magnesium powder drink thing. I like it.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

We see people in our lives suffer pain, often the pain of a loss. We wish we could do something to make the pain stop, the options are few. To stop the pain we must go to the source, the heart.
The only way to stop the pain is to erase the memories that bring the tears, the cost is much greater than the result.
Unable to stop the pain, the best we can do is to be there for those in our lives who suffer such pain.
In the end we will do more, even though we may feel helpless at the time.
Remember that suffering in all forms brings a pain which we can not stop, but our compassion may help to bring the heart back.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Rocks. We have anxiety in our family and some of us, (the old me included) would use alcohol to take the edge off. The only thing is drinking makes anxiety worse. That's why this is so hard. I agree getting help for the anxiety is an important part of all this. I listen to audiobooks on stuff like this while jogging. A counselor/ therapist would be better but I'm so busy (excuses excuses, I know) anyway maybe worth a phonecall or book purchase?
Old 06-02-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
We see people in our lives suffer pain, often the pain of a loss. We wish we could do something to make the pain stop, the options are few. To stop the pain we must go to the source, the heart.
The only way to stop the pain is to erase the memories that bring the tears, the cost is much greater than the result.
Unable to stop the pain, the best we can do is to be there for those in our lives who suffer such pain.
In the end we will do more, even though we may feel helpless at the time.
Remember that suffering in all forms brings a pain which we can not stop, but our compassion may help to bring the heart back.
Nice UP.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

ST, what do you mean "a catch"? Are you OK?
Old 06-02-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
st, what do you mean "a catch"? Are you ok?
24 Solitary?
Old 06-02-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Just a quick minute on my lunch @ work - Wanted to let you know ST that I had the most bizarre dream about sleeping with a real bear last night He was a very snuggly bear.

Good day April Fools
Old 06-02-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Glad you are back chick, we missed you.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

I'm having an early night tonight, bliss!

Hope everyone's having a good day.

Night night friends.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Yes ST- what catch? are you talking about a different group? I find this group really growing on me!
Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

ST the caffeine high is really a high I'm realizing. And I can't keep replacing one high with another. Back a year ago I was abusing alcohol with amphetamines and while I no longer take amphetamines, I think the coffee gets me too much in that mode.

freein14 I agree that alcohol is making the anxiety worse and that it will only get better with time. I guess I haven't gone more than a month at a time, but I unfortunately feel pretty edgy for a long time. My baseline from when I was a lot younger has always been a touch on the anxious side. I feel like it's the main reason I keep failing so even if it will get better without drinking, I worry that I'll keep failing if I don't figure out a better way to manage the anxiety while it's heightened. I don't know.

UP, I haven't checked with the school cause things have been busy, but you're right. I totally forgot about that.

Lucrezia, I might have to try that magnesium citrate. I could stand to work on the anxiety and stomach troubles.

3777 what kind of audiobooks do you listen to? I used to have a therapist and it was really helpful. It's just such a pain in the butt to go through the process of finding one you like. And it was at school. But I guess I'm in school again so I should check it out.

My test went well and I have an early day today, so things are looking up from this morning. Although it is hotter than hell today. No real cravings, just a stomach ache and a little residual gloom. Thanks for all the support. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but for me to only drink one night in a row and not swing straight into day drinking is already kind of a big accomplishment. Gotta keep on trucking.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rockstonic View Post
ST the caffeine high is really a high I'm realizing. And I can't keep replacing one high with another. Back a year ago I was abusing alcohol with amphetamines and while I no longer take amphetamines, I think the coffee gets me too much in that mode.

freein14 I agree that alcohol is making the anxiety worse and that it will only get better with time. I guess I haven't gone more than a month at a time, but I unfortunately feel pretty edgy for a long time. My baseline from when I was a lot younger has always been a touch on the anxious side. I feel like it's the main reason I keep failing so even if it will get better without drinking, I worry that I'll keep failing if I don't figure out a better way to manage the anxiety while it's heightened. I don't know.

UP, I haven't checked with the school cause things have been busy, but you're right. I totally forgot about that.

Lucrezia, I might have to try that magnesium citrate. I could stand to work on the anxiety and stomach troubles.

3777 what kind of audiobooks do you listen to? I used to have a therapist and it was really helpful. It's just such a pain in the butt to go through the process of finding one you like. And it was at school. But I guess I'm in school again so I should check it out.

My test went well and I have an early day today, so things are looking up from this morning. Although it is hotter than hell today. No real cravings, just a stomach ache and a little residual gloom. Thanks for all the support. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but for me to only drink one night in a row and not swing straight into day drinking is already kind of a big accomplishment. Gotta keep on trucking.
Awsome Rocks!! Progress is progress nonetheless! Brene Browns "the gifts of imperfection" was super powerful for me because she talks about what gets in the way of what she calls "whole hearted living". I've since listened to all her books. Our family all struggles with not feeling like we are enough. Not ------ fill in the blank enough. Brene describes these feelings as rooted in shame. She talks about how to identify shame and then how to build "shame resilience". Itbtakes a while to sink in and recognize, but it gave me the strength to give up drinking.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Day 0 here. No details right now, just that it wasn't even with my drink of choice, and it wasn't debilitating. But I still can't continue counting consecutive days. Sorry, Fools. Strike 2! I don't want to find out what happens if there's a strike 3.

What is the drama I've heard mention of?

I hope the rest of you are well. I actually had a great weekend otherwise. That of course makes it all that harder....
Old 06-02-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome back (again). I am doing much better today. It was a rough weekend. Things are looking up though. AV was a bit of a pain for a bit this afternoon. I had to take my daughter to the doctor to get some warts removed from her foot today, it wasn't fun. But I'm home again with out beer. I poured what was left in the house out this morning. I'm dealing with a bit of a headache, but it it's better than being drunk. Sunburned from the lake yesterday also but I had a good day.

I have missed you all. Not coming on here and posting what I'm feeling is not the way to stay sober. So like I said earlier I'm going to stick close to SR and you fools. Unless you are going to kick me to the June class.

I though ST was referring to the 24 hour class stuff? .... No place is perfect, but a little drama won't keep me away. I need to be here and sober.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Hi Kat. Shake it off and start over with me.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SolitaryThinker View Post
There is a lot of drama on this website...my views of everything here have changed insanely...in the back of my head I was waiting for the "catch"...I knew it was on it's way...
Yeah there is a lot Solitary.

Drama is as intoxicating in its own way as any drug.
A lot of us courted drama and chaos for years as an added buzz.

I know I did.

There is always drama here, somewhere, but there's quieter places of real recovery too.

I think this thread is one of them

D
Old 06-02-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back applekat

D
Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Dear Applekat and ChickChick,

This is my third "official" time getting back on the saddle and unknown number unofficial time. You both have the fortitude to do this.

ST - I am ignoring the chatter, as it distracts from the good conversations and our collective and individual recovery.

Pan
Old 06-02-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Hey Kat and Chick! Meandering through day one over here. Seems like this weekend tripped us up. Let's pick ourselves up together
Old 06-02-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys - join us here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-11-a.html

D