Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 6

Old 05-08-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

It's such an immense amount of worry on your shoulders and it's even more frustrating cause to me it sounds like your son is brilliant. People don't like people who are different. I have no advice or answer for the situation, but I have seen and experienced first hand what your talking about. Your def not alone in your thoughts and feelings towards this situation. It's 3 am here too and I can't sleep either, so your not alone on that either! Hang in there <3 thunder is just god bowling lol
Old 05-08-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

It's oh so quiet!
The end of day 13, nearly 2 weeks.
To report: The game of Australian Rules Football was under threat from an incident on the weekend, which left a player with a broken jaw!
The tribunal suspended the opposing player for rough conduct, when in reality the player was protecting himself a decision made without malice or intent to harm.
The game itself was under threat, as it's a contact sport, and the officials want to take real contact out of the game!
An appeal was launched and this afternoon was upheld and the original decision overruled.
Its a good day for footy class....!
A good day for me too!
More movie suggestions to come, some of the previous mentions are far from G or PG rated, so if you have kids best not let them see some of them. But for those who want a real scare, pseudo based on a true story, then Wolf Creek is the one!
I'll check in tomorrow morning to celebrate a real milestone for me...!
Good night all.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Sorry for what you're going through Sol. My kids are only 2 and 4 and I already dread dealing with school age issues. Common core and modules themselves are driving people batty enough let alone social and political aspects. Stay strong and be his voice and advocate. But keep vigilant. Big hugs!!
Old 05-08-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Morning Everyone.

Sol looks like we all were still reading, that is a tough situation it is bad enough for the kids to have the other kids against them but the staff too.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I thought of a horror film, Darkness Falls. It is on Netflix
Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Free how did the meditation go yesterday? Get Old Mac ChickChick out of your head?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day 24.

I haven't been active on ST, so I'm sorry for that, but I'm so happy to be sober. I'm still seeing my therapist, so most of my work towards sobriety and reflection has been through her. Not to say I'm not eternally grateful for ST or the meetings I've gone through; they both gave me hope and kept me sober early on. Lately though, my cravings have really subsided and I haven't felt the need to go to meetings or post as frequent. The only way to describe it is as the cliche of alcohol being my crutches for living life. Well, since I've dropped that crutches, it feels like I've remembered that I have the ability to not only live without crutches, but I can RUN. I use to not be able to imagine a life without booze, but now I'm living( or running) again and I don't ever want to go back to limping through life on my crutches again.

Now I still have moments of regret and depression that I have to work through, but I'd rather feel those moments and work through them. Trying to numb them through booze didn't work and also robbed me from feeling the good feelings fully. It's a sick catch 22 when you think about it. Anyways, stay strong class!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Solil, so sorry to hear what you're going through with your son. The entire education system horrifies me I have my English degree and of course the most obvious job after graduation is to teach....but sadly, the public school system is so discouraging that I decided to pursue a career in writing instead. Between common core, "teaching to the test," and corrupt individuals that are there only for a paycheck (blows my mind how many are in the education field with $&@?ed up priorities that aren't passionate about what is best for kids), I got so disheartened with the whole thing. Even the good teachers tend to not get administrative support when dealing with various issues and the good ones are few and far between. I told my husband if we ever have kids I'm homeschooling them...he thinks it's a bizarre idea and that the socialization aspect of public school is important....but situations like the one you're currently in just add to my argument that there are other, healthier ways to socialize a kid.

Hopefully things start to get better for you..wish I had more/better advice just letting you know I feel for you.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Mornin', y'all!

Wow- lots to think about... I think homeschooling can be a great option if you really want to and you're ok w learning as you go and being open to sociAlizing in a whole new way . There's lots of resources available and you can usually get the help you need in areas that you don't feel 100 percent about... I hate that school has become so far from what it was probably intended not only for students but the teachers who really do love teaching and children.

Anywhoo- I so enjoy reading y'all's thoughts about stuff! Helps me think thru things myself.

Happy Thursday!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I can say without a doubt that I now check this SR thread more than I check FB. I even started to fill out my "about me". BTW there is not nearly enough room available to type in the music section. I got cut off at "Led Zeppe". Not cool. It literally would not let me get the Led out

Solitary:last time I looked at the alarm it was 4am and I tossed and turned after that. 6:30 wake up and my day is off to a grog filled start. Yeah, God bowling doesn't make thunder less scary at all. I've got some pretty big pins aka trees surrounding my house.

Applekat/MrsBee: if you have the option to homeschool I think that would be a great idea. One amazing thing is, you are able to teach the kids hands on! Learning about history? You can take them to museums and actually expose them to the things they learn. That to me, sounds amazing. The main reason I don't want to do it full time is because I have social anxiety and I'm afraid I won't be able to supplement the interaction with other kids they will be missing at school. But apparently there are "co-ops" you can find online where homeschooled children in your area meet and do things together.

Not to mention, these kids aren't getting nearly enough exposure to the arts in school. They aren't even allowed artistic freedom like we had when we were kids. They all have to do basically the same exact thing most of the time. I understand assigning a basic concept and medium to use, but allow the children to use art class to express themselves. In my sons last school, they actually made us pay money for his art projects (cookie cutter projects that looked similar to every other child's). I understand asking some money toward supplies, but they would for instance send home a magnet that he made, along with an order form. Either pay $10 (way more than the cost of supplies) or send the magnet back, where no doubt they would just throw it away. But at lead the would bring home some things like paintings that he did and we got to keep them for free. At this school he doesn't bring anything home. What a shame! This kid loves to do artwork. The music class is a joke. My son can play the piano, violin, wind instruments by ear. But there is no band.

Up: I'm gonna check that movie out
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Solil, I'm so sorry you are having to deal with that. No fun. We live in a rural area where everyone is related too, I know how hard that can be. School is a tricky subject with my family. I have homeschooled the kids when they were younger. My family thinks christian private school is the only way to go (hubby and I both went there all our lives) I hated it, hubs didn't mind. So we sent our oldest for 1/2 of kindergarten before I was about to scream about the dumb things that were going on. So I took her out and homeschooled her and her brother for a few years. Then got the courage to go against our family and send our kids to public school (good grief, they are OUR kids!). Public school here has been a godsend compared to private school. But we still have had ups and downs. If I was in your situation I probably would pull him for the rest of the year! Could you look into online math or maybe find a tutor for the last bit of math? Its probably just winding down work at this point anyway. Figuring out what is right for our kiddo's and us can be tricky business.

I'm thinking of keeping the youngest home for kindergarten, I'm trying to decide if that is selfish vs if he really will benefit.

Day 17 here. I'm off to the library. I'll check in a bit later! Have a fabulous day everyone!!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Noolan way to go, Day 24! Awesome. It really is about learning how to feel instead of numb ourselves. Stay strong, friend!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hiya all! Day 11, yay

Randomw thought: Anyone else get annoyed when reviewing facebook posts and discovering that 75% of them revolve around drinking? Ack! It's driving me insane! I swear that over 50% of my neighborhood are drunks (according to FB that is). I suppose this means I need to stop checking FB as much as I have in the past.

Preparing for the upcoming alcohol-free weekend. This will make two weekends in a row I have not drank, woo hoo. It's been many months since this girl has accomplished that So, I plan on keeping busy with yard work and treating myself to a movie and the boy's soccer game on Sunday.

Who else will be keeping busy this weekend?
Old 05-08-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

GT - yay for day 11!!

I will be taking kiddos to Legends of Oz in the theater tomorrow, around house on Saturday, and then Mother's Day stuff on Sunday. A year ago, Mother's Day would have been the perfect 'excuse' to really feel free to suck back the wine Saturday night because I would get to sleep in Sunday morning while hubby got up with the kids. Shudder. Just another morning that I wasn't really "there" while combating nausea and dizziness. It will be different this year!!!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

It really is about learning how to feel instead of numb ourselves.
That is where I totally am in this. I just didn't realize how many feelings I have that I was numbing instead of dealing with. Has made me look at a lot if things about my life, really.

green turtle- I have the opposite problem. Having to learn to take a deep breath and slow down. In days that I do that better, I'm not as tempted to "escape" at the end...

Noolan- keep up the fabulous work! So great to hear about how you are enjoying your life .
Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Chick: I am fine with the math he's doing so far. In fact, he learns better from me teaching him than in the classroom. I have to basically teach him everything when he does homework. He is afraid to ask the teacher for help. She says things like "I've already gone how to do this. I'm not your personal teacher." Wow, typing this stuff out makes me realize how absurd it really is! I am right there with you on the kindergarten situation. I am so sad that she will have to go 8+ hours a day, from 7:40-3:00. She just turned 5 in March. I feel like I'll be throwing my baby out to the wolves. She goes to preschool but only a few hours a week. Most, if not all, of the children around here go to pre K and then developmental kindergarten at the schools, both of which are full day as well. No way I was sending my 4 yr old even though it was free. So we have to pay for her to go to a private preschool two 3 hr days a week. I am almost certain the school is going to consider her "behind" because she didn't go to school to prepare for going to school. Seriously, that blows my mind.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Hi all, had an appointment that went pretty good so I am definitely UP!

On day 26 here and 4 weeks then one month are knocking at the door.

Hope everyone has a great sober day.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post

A year ago, Mother's Day would have been the perfect 'excuse' to really feel free to suck back the wine Saturday night because I would get to sleep in Sunday morning while hubby got up with the kids. Shudder. Just another morning that I wasn't really "there" while combating nausea and dizziness. It will be different this year!!!!!
That sounds EXACTLY like me!!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

LOST MY POST!!

Anyway Congrats Noolan on 24 and GT on 11

Soli your post about throwing her to the wolves reminded me of this.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
That sounds EXACTLY like me!!
You mean the old you.