Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 6

Old 05-08-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Sol I hope you get some feedback or a sit down meeting with the school. Thinking of you!

Guys I really really want to drink tonight. It's hitting hard. Like I want hubby to put the kids to bed and I want to drive away and get some wine or go to a restaurant and hide there. This is so sucky right now. I had a hard weekend but got through. And an ok Monday-Wednesday. But today? Good grief. I want to cry.

Day 16. I think. Sigh.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Don't drink kat, it won't help anything. If you need to go off to someplace quiet and have a good cry. It might make you feel better. If you need to vent away.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Up's right, if you drink tonight you'll just feel crummy tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Sol I hope you get some feedback or a sit down meeting with the school. Thinking of you! Guys I really really want to drink tonight. It's hitting hard. Like I want hubby to put the kids to bed and I want to drive away and get some wine or go to a restaurant and hide there. This is so sucky right now. I had a hard weekend but got through. And an ok Monday-Wednesday. But today? Good grief. I want to cry. Day 16. I think. Sigh.
hang in there as stay strong, i know the urge is strong but the sadness will still be there, hang in there
Old 05-08-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Ok so, I'm going to say a little about homeschooling. I wasn't going to tell y'all bc like I've said to friends: we have a big family, homeschool... Our freaky flag is flyin' real high...

At first I was hesitant. My husband was mr popular in his private christian school but he was still the one to not exactly push...But advocate for it, early on. I had a pretty good public school experience. I remember it being really hard for me notto put my kids on the bus when they turned 5. It's funny bc they all have this fascination w school buses which always gets "fixed" when they get to ride one to summer camp.

10 years later, and I'm glad we do it. We use unschooling only in that for subjects that they naturally gravitate to, we try to build on and support them as their interests grow and change. We're pretty traditional about math- and surprisingly, that is their fav subj which proves that miracles really do happen. I always struggled w math. I use different things for different subjects. The last time they tested (we do testing just so I can make sure we're still in the ballpark of where they need to be.), they do really well.

They got pretty competitive w each other this year and finished almost all their school almost 2 months early. So I've tried to fill their time at least partly w educational activities but also to not "punish" them for finishing early by not giving them too much extra work. I am big on reading. Reading. reading.

And we do spend a lot of time (and a little money) on keeping them involved in the community. We're busy.

But, we have a routine that works and it is a blessing, overall. I run out of words by about 3pm bc my kids are very expressive and talkative(and I like them that way). But, I've seen the benefits, overall.

I think it's such a personal choice- wouldn't push it on anyone, which is why I'm so careful to say anything at all. It certainly has it's chAllenges. But, a lot of rewards.

And you can do it in a way that fits you and your family. That's kind of the point. But I always tell people, we're not anti-school or anti-teachers! We're just for doing what you believe is best for you.

Gnite all. We're watching Frozen(for the third time!) and my son is making waffles for dinner. yay!

Kat- hang in there! You seem to be a strong person to me. I hope you're able to find strength in like Up said- finding a place for tears, maybe? Just for you...

❤️
Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Ooops I forgot to *** my son's name. See what I mean. Oh well I don't think it matters.

I'm really sorry. I'm going to stay off here for the rest of the day.
I asterisked it for you
I don't think the email was rude at all?

Seems to be a few folks struggling today - remember the craving tips:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

and stay close gang - we can do this

D
Old 05-08-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Dee- I think you did that for me once, too.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hello April!

Does anyone mind if I join you at least for a little bit? I am in two other monthly threads and I can't seem to find any one in them lately. Getting a bit panicky. I was a Marcher, but I relapsed and am on day 4 again. I just need to feel not alone right now I think...
Old 05-08-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Sure Ilya, pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thank you! I did fall off and try to quit once in April, after all.

Feeling pretty bummed out that I'm starting over again. Things got so stressful. I thought for sure I had learned, as I'd been dealing with stress for a month and doing great with it sober. Then my parents came to town (not speaking to them anymore) and I lost my job. I flew off the handle.

So here I am
Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Ilya Welcome to the class of April Fools!! I have started over many times & feeling really good today with 24 days
Old 05-08-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I think you'll find a lot of serial quitters around. I've done it myself a couple times. At least you're getting back on the wagon sooner than I did.

Have you been looking for new ways to deal with stress? It's always a part of life eventually.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hey AppleKat...Are you doing better tonight. Thinking about you, know it is hard sometimes, but I am learning to distract myself when the "urge" & uneasiness starts & finding that it passes pretty quickly. Feel free to PM me if you want. Take care of you
Old 05-08-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Yeah, honestly I really feel like I was coping so well by eating well, staying hydrated, exercising, staying super busy, and reminding myself all the time that I couldn't hold all this together if I wasn't sober.
And I feel like the circumstances were so aligned and it was this perfect storm of pain and panic, after working so hard and being so exhausted. I just crumbled. Next time I have a catastrophic event I hope I can just simply not drink. I just boiled over. I had been collecting stress.

What do you all do when it all hits the fan??
Old 05-08-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi Ilya.
I myself had a close call tonight. But day 16 still.
Thank you all for talking me down, and the PMs.

I walked away and FELT the emotions instead of drinking them. Bubble bath, tears, a book, and now some Greys Anatomy.

BTW I am reading Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore - I'm surprisingly not a fan. I'll give a better review when done.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Glad you were able to stay sober kat.

Welcome Ilya
Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I'm reading Sober is my New Drunk. Just started it. Anyone read it?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Ilay...I'm not yet the "poster child" for dealing with stress but am trying to put into practice...."letting go" of things. I don't know about you, but when I look at those things I am stressing over, I see that I really have no control over them. Putting things in Gods hands works for me works when I remember to practice it
Old 05-08-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I always feel SO scared before I intentionally FEEL what's going on. I dread it. Most of the time, I do it. Sometimes, I don't know if I can take it.

Good job with the bubbe bath!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you need to believe you can do this Ilya.

Sometimes, I don't know if I can take it.
The only way you'll ever get a satisfactory answer to that question is by trying something different.

It will be uncomfortable...you may feel as you're losing your mind even...but the more crises you can stay sober through, the more evidence you have that there *are* other ways to cope rather than reaching for the bottle?

D