Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 6

Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Love trailer park boys!!!!! I actually live in a trailer park and while it's not nearly as over the top as the show I swear there are real similarities. So funny!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sriraka? I'm off to early bed but just wanted to say hello... And good nite . Oh, favorite tv: Downton abbey, movie: ??? I'm with freein (your comment about growing old-lol!) and chick- not too into scary- Still having nitemares from Salems Lot(from the what, early 80's?). All time favs: moonstruck, hope floats, heat, Napoleon dynamite(yes, I'm a goofball),Amistad, august rush....

Cute chick, chick!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

So who's who here?
Originally Posted by obosob View Post
Trailer Park Boys very funny!!!!! (quite appropriate for the class too).......
Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Night izzy
Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh and obo- our family loves rabbit proof fence .

Sweet sober dreams everyone!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Night everyone, going to bed
Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

End of day 16. I'm off to bed. I would have been really upset with all of this going to bed early stuff a few weeks ago. My body definitely seems to be trying to make up for lost sleep.

Night all!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrsbee View Post
I second Chick...the sriracha shirt is AMAZING!!! That stuff is magical

ABCs of Death..,.totally messed up movie but awesome if you dig gore! Which I do lol.

I'm reading this really funny YA book now called Fat Kid Rules The World...actually saw the movie last summer and loved it and randomly saw the book at my library. So far so good. The movie used to be on Netflix though I'm not sure if it still is. Good story, though.

I'm a little crabby today because there are ants everywhere in my house and we have spent a ton of cash on insecticide...nothing is working. I read online and heard from a bunch of people that cinnamon kills ants. I'm desperate and will try anything at this point so my house and the surrounding area is about to be cinnamon city!
Mrs B- there were some in my daughters room so we researched it and apparently baby powder helps. I sprinkled it all over her floor and around the trim and left it for a day before vaccuming. Kinda messy but it did work!

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Oh boy....by the time I get home & read through the posts, everyone is going to bed
You all were very busy here today!

Thanks for your morning post Izzy Made a great start to my day. Had a bit of a hard time with the AV after work, but got myself busy doing stuff & actually talked out loud to it saying that I had better things to do & I really didn't want it around anymore. Something "powerful" in that & finding that the feeling really does pass pretty quickly. Winding down in day 23.

Great job on another sober day All! Not much of a TV watcher, but think I will take the Trailer Park Boys suggestion & chill.

MrsBee...I've tried corn meal sprinkled around the outside...they take it back to the nest & they all explode.....Hows that for gory
Old 05-07-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry guys - I had to make a quick exit - there was no time to explain.

D
Old 05-07-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrsbee View Post
Thanks for the tip, Adna! I will definitely try the double sided tape as I'm pretty sure I know where they're getting in....I have traps everywhere but they don't seem to do a thing. And yeah, bug spray kills them but doesn't stop the new ones from getting in. I will try any home remedy I can! Apple, if you like crushed red pepper, you would probably like sriracha...it's red chili sauce and like sol, I find it to be delicious on almost everything!!!!! We make tuna and salmon patties often in our house and I looooove topping mine with sriracha. Well, back to the books for me Oh yeah, ST...seems like you have tons of great movie and tv suggestions to keep you busy but if you ever want more let us know again....I love sharing tv shows and movies and obviously books Have a good night, guys!
indeed! Thanks friend
Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
You are right ST, they closed down the factory for a while last year. I kept hearing it was going to be hard to get so I started hoarding it! lol.... wow, chicks and sriracha... you guys might need to watch for me on TV!!
hahaha good call, although before it went completely off the shelves, they would probably start directly importing it from Asia and increasing the price of it by a dollar or two. So many restaurants use it now too, I think we might be ok despite the shutdown
Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adnamaeel View Post
Solitary, did you ever watch arrested development? It's on netflix, and may be the funniest thing I ever saw on TV.
yes it's awesome!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I want to rip my son out of the school he's in and homeschool him for the rest of the year. There's only a month left, and I'll get him registered for Fall at another school.
I can't sleep thinking about this.
He's being singled out. 5th grade. Not by the kids, by the teachers and the principal. It's really bad. Even his therapist agrees (I put him in therapy because of the school). The therapist told me he's never heard of so many kids hating a school as he does about this one.
For example, in one instance my son used the word "segregate" in reference to students in the school being in different groups, like "cliques". This got blown up into him being accused of being racist against blacks. He was sent to the principal and a big deal was made before the principal was finally convinced that it was a misunderstanding. Simply because he used the word "segregate" ( Btw none of the kids in the school are even black ).
My son was a consistent honor roll student before moving here and he reads at an above 11th grade reading level. He is currently failing English. Of course he did well above average on the state testing. Still, they blame him.
He has been written up for "major bullying" for things like messaging a kid on the iPod "you got our music taken away. Hopefully the teacher gives us a second chance". In fact, he got his iPod taken away for the rest of the year for that one. And they use the iPods to do all of their work.
Well yesterday I got a call from the principal saying that some girls heard Will talking about serial killers. She went on and on and on and on. I said. I'd talk to him about it. He admitted that last week he said that he didn't understand how serial killers can sleep at night knowing there's a dead person in the closet. He said he didn't say anything about serial killers the second time, like the girls said. These are the same girls who told on him for being "racist". Then my son started to tell me that he was scared the principal was going to call the police. He told me that she said "if I ever hear anything else like this about you I'm calling the police." Momma bear felt poked at that point. So I called her this afternoon to ask if she actually said that (big step for Mrs Social anxiety). She confirmed, but rephrased it ever so delicately. I asked what exactly did he say that made these girls feel so threatened. Not to mention, it actually supposedly happened 2 days ago in Art. They waited until the next day and told a different teacher. Why wasn't it handled then if it was such a threat? She said that they heard things like "is homicide legal?", "do you think serial killers are on drugs"... Stupid things my son wouldn't say, but even if he did...does that warrant a threat to involve the police? I'm so pissed.
Well I took my son to the therapist today. He always talks to me privately for a good portion of the time. He told me that the principal had emailed him this morning! She failed to mention that when I called. He thought it was ridiculous, or in his careful words "a bit extreme." He even quoted part of the letter where she said that my sons behavior "erodes our wall of security"!!!!!
He's the one that planted the seed on homeschooling in my mind. He was talking about a possibility for next year. That's a bit much for me to handle, but I could definitely handle doing it for a few weeks until Summer. This occurred to me not until tonight. My mom is really sick and in the hospital too and I haven't been able to go visit her because his grades would suffer.
How lovely would a strong one be right now?!?!?
Ok I know no one is still reading this at this point but I'm wide awake thinking all of this stuff. Might as well try and get it out of me and into cyber space. Hopefully get some sleep now that it's 1:30 and I have to wake in 5 hrs
Old 05-07-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm still reading Soliloquy......
Old 05-07-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Soliloquy, I have a 26 year old daughter who really fell through the cracks in middle and high school, and to this day I regret making her go. Especially to high school. They aren't even trying to educate our kids anymore, they just want them to regurgitate the crap they've been fed. I raised my daughter to think for herself, and to question everything, even me (that sure bit me in the ass during her teenage years), and that just didn't work in school. After 10th grade she refused to go back, and we eventually settled on a very alternative program for her last 2 years. It wasn't much academically, but she got her diploma. Once she got to college, she thrived, and is in Grad school now, and doing really well.
Have you ever heard of unschooling? It's a pretty great approach for really smart kids. I really wish it's what I'd done with my daughter. Those years would have been far less painful for her if I had.
Your son is lucky to have you as his advocate. I would start documenting every interaction between your son and the principal, and you and the principal, there's nothing wrong with contacting the school board about it either. Teachers and administrators are public servants, which means they work for you. Sometimes it's good for them to be reminded of this fact.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a parent, so I really have no advice Sil.

What I do know is this situation does needs a 'strong one', but not a drink

You need to be there for your son, but it would be nice if someone was there for you too.

Forgive me for not remembering everyones backstory, but outside of the therapist and us do you have support?

D
Old 05-07-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

We had a psychologist at school. My best friend who had suffered his parents horrible divorce was forced to him. After trusting him with very private information about his family and what had happened (his father stealing him from home in the middle of the night) in the mess of it all, the quack then told the teaching staff, which trickled through the school, humiliating him and his family. It caused real damage after that.
I think home schooling is a great idea and I'm a secondary school teacher!
The benefits, especially if the parent is able (as you seem to be), far outweigh the negatives......
Take the Principal and teaching staff on. They hide behind their position and qualifications and more often than not, irrespective of what type of school, they find themselves managing and interpreting wrong information. The only way to sort that out is, as you have already done, by directly speaking to them and letting them know you are not going to be pushed around!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I got singled out in school this same way, I was acting out cause of loosing my dad and was treated like a ticking time bomb...it's a really rough situation, but people are still reading, I am so don't think that for a second, it's good to get it off your chest <3
Old 05-08-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Adnamaeel: I have heard the term unschool. I feel so awful for fighting with my son about school and disciplining him for the bad grades. I feel like I've been punishing him for not conforming. I can't do it anymore. I seriously want to just yank him out right away. I'm not good at math so I don't know about homeschooling full time but at least till the end of the year and I get him enrolled elsewhere. He is such a bright kid, it's a shame.

The things I mentioned are just a few out of many. The principal once told my son "you always try to use those big words to get out of trouble." No, he is not trying. That is HIM. Yeah, he may be different than most kids. He knows more about American history than most adults. Is that weird? Maybe. But is he still a kid? Yes. He sometimes acts extremely immature and I know that , but my God let these children have personalities!

D: No I don't have support. I can't even make an appointment for myself. Seriously I gave up telling myself I'd do it "one day soon" after years and years. Too scared. I even get nervous talking to my own relatives sometimes if that tells you anything. For no reason. So I just have to learn to accept myself and help myself. I have this group and my husband.

Obosob:that is really messed up about that psychologist! My husband wants to call the superintendent about everything, but the reality is this is such a small town. I wouldn't be surprised if he was related to the principal. I grew up in a small town, so I'm not prejudice about that. Thing is, where I'm from you welcome people. If anything, new kids got special treatment because the teachers know how difficult the transition can be. Couldn't be farther from the truth here. I can't wait to move in 3 years!

Solitary: Wow, I cannot imagine losing my father at that young age and I am sorry you had to go through that. Thanks for listening errr reading, whatever haha.

Well here it is 3 am. Now I must ask myself is it even worth those 3.5 hrs of sleep? It's thundering now so I'll probably just lay here afraid till that stops.