Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 6

Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Haha that's right Up. Although I still sometimes have doubts that I'm going to stick with it. Gotta keep telling that devil to STFU

I talked to husband. He wants me to type out a list of problems we've had with the school and email it to him along with the superintendent's name and number. We are going to withdraw him and my daughter who is signed up for kindergarten.
From what laws I've read online, it seems that all we have to do is contact the superintendent with our decision and formally withdraw him from school. We can do it immediately. We can make our own curriculum to include all of the basic areas of study for his age. We don't even have to turn anything in! I thought this would be way more difficult. We can choose to have him take state tests but that's optional. We probably will because he scores above average and that will be good to have as a record. It kinda made me mad when he did so good on the state tests and of course the school gets credit for it even though they haven't helped at all and he is borderline failing.

Anyway, sorry for blowing this thread up so much. I'm kind of delirious from staying up all night thinking about this stuff. Old me would really deserve a drink.

I think I should do some online shopping and spend the money I've saved by not drinking
Old 05-08-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Sol- wow! I hope you find everything you need. Since the school year's almost out anyway, you could maybe start with some really basic stuff and mainly enjoy your time with him? Good luck!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Sol what izzy said and don't apologize, we are here to support each other through all of our problems.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Soliloquy, you didn't blow up the thread, I'm glad you came here with these issues, though I'm kind of angry on behalf of your son. I'm also glad you and your husband are on the same page with it, and have come up with a plan. I think you're making the right decision.
I got half way through a masters degree in middle and secondary ed before I realized that I couldn't be a part of the school system without compromising my ideals more than I was willing to. We are failing our kids, and there is no excuse for it that comes close to being adequate. Your kids are lucky to have you as their mom.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

You didn't blow up the thread, it actually sounds like it helped kinda, I hope the homeschooling works, I feel like it may.

Goodmorning all
Old 05-08-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'm kinda freakin out. I sent an e-mail to the principal and it was really rude. I regret sending it and now I'm panicking. I don't know what to do. This is it:

Mrs. ****,

This is ****, *****'s mother. In our conversation, you did not mention that you had e-mailed ****'s therapist. I'm sorry, but what we choose to discuss in therapy is not your concern and the letter was a bit extreme. **** does not need to be counseled for anything relating to serial killers, especially hearsay. I forgot to ask **** to take a copy with me. Please forward a copy of the e-mail you sent him to this e-mail address.

Also, if there is a more detailed discipline record available than what can be found on Skyward I would appreciate a copy of that as well.

Thank you,

I feel like I'm going crazy because stress and lack of sleep and all I've put in my body is coffee. I can't concentrate. I never should've sent that. I want to cry. She got the e-mail. She didn't respond to it but she called and I didn't answer. I do not want to speak to her. She never lets me talk, she just goes on and on and on. She literally talked to me for over five minutes on Tues and I got less than 10 words in other than "uh-huh". I cut in yesterday and said what I needed to say but I don't have that in me today. I'm just not up to it emotionally. I feel like I'm drunk doing stupid stuff like sending that e-mail. But I don't have the luxury of a buzz to go along with it. Just the aftermath.

Last edited by Dee74; 05-08-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Ooops I forgot to *** my son's name. See what I mean. Oh well I don't think it matters.

I'm really sorry. I'm going to stay off here for the rest of the day.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Don't be sorry one bit, I was venting about different things the same way here. Honestly don't regret it, the entire situation sounds crazy to me honestly and slightly out of control. Honestly you have to be a bit assertive to get things done in life at times. Your doing what you need to do and that's that.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Dear Sol,

The email was not rude. You and your family are upset and the situation sounds really awful and difficult. I would recommend however, that you should make an appointment to see the school official (with your husband) to discuss the issue face to face when you are less upset. Bring your discussion points to ensure that you are heard. It may also be appropriate to ask for a County administrator (neutral party) be available/present for the discussion.

Home schooling is a huge undertaking. There may be other options that you can consider (mediation, transfer to another classroom, transfer to another school).

Take care, my thoughts are with you, Pan
Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I agree, email and the phone were always something to hide behind in my world. Write down the main points you want to make and calmly and clearly get them across face to face. Sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Soliloquy, she's not your principal, and she has no power over you in any way. Your email was direct and to the point, it wasn't rude. Your job is to be your son's mother, not to worry about upsetting his educators. I think she was afraid to respond to you via email because she realizes that she went too far, and doesn't want you having a physical record of what she has to say.
Being your son's advocate is way more important than playing nice with that bitch anyway.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adnamaeel View Post
Soliloquy, she's not your principal, and she has no power over you in any way. Your email was direct and to the point, it wasn't rude. Your job is to be your son's mother, not to worry about upsetting his educators. I think she was afraid to respond to you via email because she realizes that she went too far, and doesn't want you having a physical record of what she has to say. Being your son's advocate is way more important than playing nice with that bitch anyway.
second that, and we live in a society now where everyone is offended by EVERYTHING. Do what you gotta do...people can't even report on the news without offending some "group"
Do what you have to do!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Solli, the e-mail really doesn't sound that bad to me (I'm assuming the blanked bits aren't swear words, that would be quite bad!). Seriously, you just sound like a worried mum, trying to do the best for her son. I'm sure it will all work out well in the end. It is hard at the moment, but very often the best things in our lives are as a result of the worst trials. Look after yourself through this, sleep, relax, eat well, lots of fresh air - you know the drill.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panacea View Post

Home schooling is a huge undertaking. There may be other options that you can consider (mediation, transfer to another classroom, transfer to another school).

Take care, my thoughts are with you, Pan
I think it might be helpful to remember that you do have options, sol! I bet after you take some time to cool off and maybe let your husband help you deal with the situation(mines definitely more of the extrovert and whenever possible, I'm more than happy to let him do the talking), eventually things will become clearer! And nothing's set in stone. Even if you have made your mind up to take him out for this last month, you'll have lotsa time to think things thru before next school year... Either way, I'm glad you're venting! I've vented about things here too that I couldnt/ didn't feel comfortable talking about elsewhere. We're here for you .
Old 05-08-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I've really said everything and discussed everything that I want to with her. I agree that face to face is better in these situations, but really all I want is a forward of the email and the discipline record. Other than that, I'm done.

The homeschooling will most likely just be for this last month, and we will enroll them at another school for Fall.

I told my son about the decision and he was torn. He doesn't like the school but will miss his friends. I told him that he can meet with them anytime, and I said that I will finally make a FB account for him. It will be private and he won't have the login info. Only to be used under parental supervision until he gets much older. But it still made him happy.

I couldn't stay away, obviously! Thanks guys for helping me and listening, reading whatever. It sincerely has helped me kind of keep my mind somewhat together. Thank you thank you thank you . I have a soccer game to attend and I hope I get it together and eat something before then.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

UP, I'm pleased to hear your appointment went well. That's great news.

Also my meditation was enhanced by the repetitive music, in my head, of "old Mac chickchick....". It helped to regulate and deepen my breathing. Let me know if you have any more novel meditation tips for me to try! Lol.

It's been really busy these last two days, and tomorrow will be a late one too. Looking forward to the weekend, to recharge my brain. I'm so grateful for sobriety, this week would have been ten times more difficult for my former self, but my new non-drinking self is just breezing through it.

Hope everyone's looking forward to a healthy weekend too.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Sol don't upset yourself, the email was direct and to the point. If you had been drinking you may have sent something much worse. I have sent much worse when I was sober to my kids schools before, trust me. Also, as I said before, we are here for you, vent away. I know I don't mind. Keeping it in only makes it worse and might push you to drink.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

LOL Freein
Old 05-08-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Sorry you're having a rough time with those pinheads, Soli.

I'm getting hit with some PAWS symptoms today. Majorly anxious, mood swings, the whole bit. Still not sleeping well, either. In fact I just realized how tired I was when I went to the store to get some Unisom and noticed how awake and alert everyone else seemed to be. I sure hope this stuff works.

Still, 4 weeks tomorrow. That's pretty cool.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Haha that's right Up. Although I still sometimes have doubts that I'm going to stick with it. Gotta keep telling that devil to STFU

I talked to husband. He wants me to type out a list of problems we've had with the school and email it to him along with the superintendent's name and number. We are going to withdraw him and my daughter who is signed up for kindergarten.
From what laws I've read online, it seems that all we have to do is contact the superintendent with our decision and formally withdraw him from school. We can do it immediately. We can make our own curriculum to include all of the basic areas of study for his age. We don't even have to turn anything in! I thought this would be way more difficult. We can choose to have him take state tests but that's optional. We probably will because he scores above average and that will be good to have as a record. It kinda made me mad when he did so good on the state tests and of course the school gets credit for it even though they haven't helped at all and he is borderline failing.

Anyway, sorry for blowing this thread up so much. I'm kind of delirious from staying up all night thinking about this stuff. Old me would really deserve a drink.

I think I should do some online shopping and spend the money I've saved by not drinking
Hi Sol,

I've been reading your posts and wanted to respond as a mom of 3 boys ages 26, 18 and 16. We live in a very small town and the schools are not great. I moved my kids to a charter school 30 miles away from home for grade school. Now in high school in our little town by their own choice, they continue to do online classes where they don't feel the teachers are doing a good job. I know it's hard right now, but speaking as a mom of a (finally!) graduating 18 year old boy who was bullied all through school, has terrible social anxiety and was labeled a 'nerd' very early on, kids are more resilient than we think and they do find their way. I got him into therapy for the bullying and anxiety (he also underwent EMDR, which I am now doing myself) and now that he is graduating, he is as happy as a clam! By the way, even though he had TERRIBLE grades (he hated school and thought homework was a waste of time) he scored in the 1800s on his SAT, and got into the honors program at the university he is attending - and somehow he even got a partial scholarship. My point is, as long as you are strong advocates for your kids without being too overbearing (which I had a tendency to do) your kids will not just be okay, but will thrive and astound you as they grow. I totally believe each child is different and their education should be tailored to fit their needs. Homeschool is a good thing.