Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 5

Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Up- you're a stinker! You had me there for a sec.

ST- clearly, we are all here for you. Do u feel the love? Ha! Hope you're having a restful evening.

Adna- sounds like you're working hard! You'll have to keep us posted in how it all turned out?

Soliloquy- I feel the same way when I post something personal. I'm so glad you shared and I hope you keep sharing. Also, love the dish dream interpretation! Sounds like we're a bunch of dish washin' fools!

Reboot- sounds like you have a lovely family. Please let us know how things went with that special time with your son?

Topspin- I'm looking forward to reading the article

Obosob- sounds like you're doing well. I like the line, "I'm an alcoholic, not an idiot"... Will have to remember that one.

Gnite everybody!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rockstonic View Post
The check is coming in a sec and then I'm running home! I'm really in no mood to drink but this atmosphere is really stressing me out. Lots of "remember that fun time when you were drunk" and offering me drinks that I keep turning down. Time to go!
Yes, sounds like a great time to skedaddle!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Applekat- hope your baby is ok! I'm horrible about the sight of any kind of injury. Prayers sent your way ...
Old 05-02-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DancingDiva View Post
I think that drinking to numb feelings is like taking a loan from a loan shark. You get the cash to cover that day, but the next day you owe the amount you took plus an exorbitant amount of interest.
DD,
I'm going to remember that wonderful analogy,

... the pain of a loansharking debt.

Soliloquy, .... About that article, ( I found here on SR btw)
I hope it can help you overcome any ambivalence you may be struggling with.

I'm hoping the process will help me sort out my ambivalence on my employment. I'm pulled in two different directions.

On one hand , I like the job, but I'm realizing the late hours are taxing my health ( I think they are , anyway )

My sleep pattern is incredibly wonky, and I feel like it's one of the key elements of health. Like, as important as drinking water . Among others

The kicker is , ...since I've always been self employed , and without health insurance, this is the first time I've had it. We have , I think it's the first in the country, a volunteer health clinic, where Volunteer Dr's and Nurses, and staff run a clinic for those without insurance who live here. ...there's that.

So it's not like I don't have healthcare, it's just limited ; ...I guess you'd say.
That second part , in the article, ....that's the part I never thought to work out, in my dilemma..... dilemma is probably the wrong word ; ...situation.

...that's the part for me to really work on.

Another thing that haunts me a little is, (and I can't find the book to save my life )......is something I remember reading in an old CBT book, years ago. One of the cases the author cited
,,,......was similar to what I'm dealing with. ( can't remember his name but I think he's the early CBT guy.

The whole dang thing gets me a little peaved with myself , because my history doesn't reflect this kind of timidity. ...
I worry I may no longer be a card carrying member of the KMA club.
...actually no, it's not a worry. At this point , I'm def.not.

Need to work on this stuff. It's basically all fear based , ...... cowardly

Thank goodness for sobriety , otherwise I'd be stuck in a holding pattern for , well, ...*ever*

lol,...now I can wake up with that ; "Oh crap why did I post that"

Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I'm still here. Had to take a break for life reasons. Haven't read the posts yet but just wanted to let you know I'm alive and kickin' and sober. More later.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

That's great news MsOkra,

Thanks for checkin' in ......
Old 05-02-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, obosob, compass and kitten! I made it home sobriety intact! But honestly, I'm shaking like a leaf. That was super hard! And it was a birthday so I didn't feel comfortable saying "hey guys, not to kill the party but this is a lot for me." I'm really glad to be home. Day 4 winding down at last and successfully on to Day 5. Thinking of making some more delicious green tea

ST, I too felt really angry today. Lack of sleep I think has a lot to do with it. Hang with it!

DD, I like your loan shark comparison. I'll keep reminding myself that the gratification from drinking is only temporary.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

rock- that's awesome! hope you enjoy your tea- you deserve a treat!

okra- missed you! glad to hear you're ok
Old 05-02-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Has been a very, very long day - Glad to read all your post tonight

All I have the energy to post is to Srewedup

Crawling into bed sober at the end of day 19 - So grateful for that. Night All~~
Old 05-03-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Saturday morning, I'm feeling great. Just about to hit my two week marker.

The audio book I'm listening to (over and over) mentions that the chemical imbalance caused by alcohol can last for about two weeks after your last drink. I'm not quite sure what this means, but I'm hopeful that it's got to be good thing right? So there's no way I'll be tempted to sacrifice two weeks of healing for even a sniff of alcohol.

ST, how are you today? I hope you'll have time to catch up on some quality sleep this weekend, sleep deprivation is torturous. Stay strong, you've overcome these feelings before and you can do it again. It was you who convinced me to join SR 2 weeks ago, thank you for that.

UP, that was funny, you had me groaning for a moment then!

Keep up the great work everyone, we're all reaching our sobriety goals day by day.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Morning everyone, was feeling down and sore last night so tried to turn in early. Woke up at like 4:30 this morning. Went for a walk and am feeling good.

kat, how is your little one?

ST I hope you got a good nights sleep and are feeling better!

kitten, how's your shoulder?

DD I too like that analogy.

rocks I am proud of you for making it through the party. That had to be very hard but think how good you feel this morning.

izzy-- who? little old me?

top, hope you get your sleep and work under control

good to see you back okra, hope everything is ok

Mariah-- ouch!

free- thanks, I just wanted to break up the monotony, try to lighten peoples spirits.

Hope everyone has a great day. Almost forgot, starting day 21. It seems like I was just saying 14 a couple days ago.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

rockstonic: awesome..... It doesn't just help you, it helps me too....... The strength you've shown encourages me. It's no joke being out there in the big, bad world with temptation staring you in the face. I'm at home missing a party for that exact reason. Such a strong effort!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I slept restlessly and back at work...in same exact place, this is fing crazy 8/
Old 05-03-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Day 24 tho...although by now that celebration has lost it's novelty to me...
Old 05-03-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Made it through 'Sailors Night Out' without a scratch. Grilled some short ribs while my wife made smashed potatoes and homemade jalapeņo poppers. I drank Pellegrino from the bottle as everyone else imbibed. Hung out on the deck until nearly midnight. It was a blast.

Seems like everyone else remains an "April Fool" this morning, though that was a close call there with that root beer, Up. More later, as apparently I have been assigned breakfast duty.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Yesterday was a really tough day! That headache wouldn't go away. I ended up in bed all afternoon and evening, my little boys and I just had a movie marathon on my bed, complete with popcorn and Popsicles. ...... Note to self change the sheets ASAP.... I was just out of it and really starting to feel sorry for myself. I was quite teary for a while.

The good news is I feel SO much better today. The cold seems to have gone, no more headache and I'm feeling pretty energetic after a good nights sleep.

I skimmed through the posts, I'll have to go back and read them properly a little later.

ST- I'm sorry your still having such a hard time. I hope today is better!

Kat- I hope your little one is doing better today! I hate it when they get hurt. I would be crushed if mine chose daddy to take them instead of me.

Up- forget slapping you! I'd like to kick you!!! .... Chick grumbles.... Something about up and April fools....

Rock- great job getting away from that party still sober! I'm sure your body and mind are thanking you today! You friends probably aren't feeling the best.

Everyone else I hope you are having a great day!
to all!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Fantastic Rocksonic & Reboot!!!! Hi Ms Okra Great job on 4 weeks MrsBee!!

Freein, thanks for sharing things you are learning from your read...very insightful.

Hoping you have a better day today ST

Early here Saturday am - Glad not to have to be heading off to work today. I weedeated & mowed most of the lawn yesterday, but have a bit to do this morning before I can enjoy the fun stuff, which is planting. I have a forsythia plant, 3 hydrangeas, some lavender to get in the ground & some annuals for my pots. I love going out in the early am on these early summer morning to water & enjoy my yard.

Why am I mowing when I have a teenage young man? He suffers from seasonal allergies as I know many of you are too. He was in really bad shape last week...took him to doc & got a stronger dose of claratin & some nasal steroids...doing better this week. The best thing anyone who is suffering from allergies can do is flushing those nasal passages with salt water rinses...just a tip Have a great day everyone...going to play in the dirt
Old 05-03-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Not sure if I should reply or RUN.

ST sorry you are not feeling better, remember you can lean on us. I think I know what you mean about the celebration losing its novelty.

Reboot that is good to hear. I knew you could do it.

Glad you are feeling better chick, I bet those sheets are a mess. Love ya chick don't hurt me. Well..... just kidding.

Have fun in the dirt Mariah.

Anyone I might have missed this morning or comes in late have a great sober day.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Hope everyone's having a good day.

The sun is shining here, which is a real treat, we've been under a cloud for days. Trouble is, having a sunny evening used to be an excuse to open some wine early and sit outside getting inebriated. There's just no logic to it - why would I want to deaden by brain when just sitting in the sun is so enjoyable? Wine doesn't make the sun even more sunny, it doesn't improve on the beauty of the natural world, all it does is make me tired, and send me off to bed early.

The more days I'm alcohol free the more I'm beginning to realise that life is so much better without it.

I'm going to download a book on to my kindle tonight - I've saved over 70 pounds over the past 2 weeks, so I can justify another book.

Hope everyone's had some time to rest, and appreciate the natural world today.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
The more days I'm alcohol free the more I'm beginning to realise that life is so much better without it.
I couldn't agree more...I even had a mini-epiphany today. See, I've been kind of avoiding listening to music. Which is sad because I'm obsessed with it and am even a musician myself. But I have associated so many facets of it with using. My favorite thing to do when drinking or smoking weed was listen to my favorite music. I thought it sounded so much better when I was inebriated.

Today I downloaded spotify onto my iPhone and began listening to a playlist I made while reading at the library. Guys, it's making me so happy!!! My husband is sitting here laughing at me because I'm dancing In my chair and apparently people are staring...but I don't care because it feels so good to be enjoying my favorite music again! And you know what? It sounds better than ever!