Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 31

Old 05-14-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

BoozeFree - I love your new lease on life. You are really rocking it (haha - a terrible attempt at turntable humor).

Babs - how are you today? Im curious to hear more about you.

Toots - way to go on 14 months! Your kindness, friendship and insight mean so much to me!

Carlos - you're a free man! Womp womp!

Courage - Thanks for your insightful advice. My husband expects me to do what he wants, uses guilt by calling it "couple time" or "family time", and I, ever the predictable codependent, have followed along. I'm bored and depressed because I never do what I like!

I'm not blaming him. It takes two to do the Codie dance. I've taken steps in the past year to build my own interests and activities outside of our unit. Courage is right - my mind is screaming to do more.

I don't have much practice just being me, developing my own interests, and following my path. I've been dreaming at night of the house that my mother lived in my first year out of college. My mother has moved more times than I can count since I was 10 years old, just within our tiny geographic area, so to dream of one particular residence is significant. I came to the conclusion that my dreams were bringing to my consciousness the residence where I was at the point where I had the confidence and insight to follow my own path, used my conscience as my guide, and reported only to me.

Thanks all for being on this journey with me!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Carlos - You're going to have to work hard, and I know you will, so I have every confidence that your recovery will not only reemerge, but that you reach new levels of peace and insight.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

Carlos - Thank you so much for posting the passage from the 24 hours a day book. It sums up so well the message of keeping our sobriety as our first priority. I recently picked up the 24-hour a day book and plan on reading it each day. The book you are reading sounds fascinating. As far as your "stinking thinking" I think you are being way too hard on yourself. You went through a really painful and difficult time. Remember, it's progress and not perfection! It certainly is understandable given the circumstances that your thinking would be off. You recognized it and worked through it That is incredible progress my friend! CONGRATULATIONS that you finally get the torture device off today. It sounds like you have a really great day planned. I hope you enjoy it thoroughly.

Gilmer - You absolutely made the right choice in dropping the class. You listened to your intuition and this in no way reflects your ability to learn. It is great to hear that you have had a really enjoyable visit with your sons.

Elsewhere - What a great post! I am so happy that you had a wonderful day and baked a cake. I wish you many more days like that.

BF - I too do not like hot weather. Wow - 97 degrees is just too hot! I am glad you found a way to cool off and enjoy your music. Thank you so much for asking about my dogs. They are doing well. One of my dogs "Lucky" ate something out in the yard and I couldn't pry it out of his mouth. It might have been a caterpillar. He doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear - thank goodness!

Toots - CONGRATULATIONS ON 14 MONTHS OF SOBRIETY You have been such a kind and wonderful support to us all. I hope you have great day!

Gleefan - Your post on feeling down, but being optimistic that those feelings would pass like all feelings do what right on the mark! Changing our thinking and learning to sit with uncomfortable feelings is critical to sobriety. Really not so easy to do in early sobriety. Kudos to you for flexing an emotional muscle! I appreciated so much what Courage said about getting our of your head by treating yourself and learning to be kind to yourself. If you are feeling bored and depressed because you feel like you never get an opportunity to do what you like - is there any way you can carve out some time each day for yourself? It is just so important for your emotional sobriety. I hope you find the opportunity do so.

Wishing everyone a happy and sober Wednesday!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  
p***enger

Carlos, Rule 62, dude. You were on a freaking ankle bracelet! Some people would have had a few cases of Jack Daniels delivered!

Boozefree, Os Catalepticos, fantastic contribution. Thanks for taking me on a joy ride in a hearse this a.m.

Gleefan, give yourself time to find things you enjoy. When I was drinking, I had this hurry up and burn mentality, like I had to cram all the action I could (the alcohol consumption) into every day. Now it's easier to take things easy and just be surprised to find myself enjoying a cup of coffee and someone to talk to.

Tanja, missed you on a cross-post

Just one more thing to prove I'm still a disagreeable, irritating snarkbunny -- I'm not big on the journey has a destination and finding your path. It's a metaphor that works for some, but as a godless atheist, my only destination is death, and my path is laid largely by birth and circumstances well beyond my control. What I aspire to, for myself and all others, is times along the way when the scenery is pretty and we have the peace of mind to enjoy it and not spit on the sidewalk. I think that's a lot to aspire to, and every day brings a new chance to make it.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Carlos congrats on your freedom today!

Tanja my dog constantly eats weird bugs that she finds. The worst is when the June bugs are out she jumps and catches them then you hear the crunching noise as she chews em up!

Courage ya I listen to a variety of stuff. I was really into psychobilly music back in highschool.

Drinking coffee and getting ready for another hot day today. I need to go shoe shopping, my bridesmaid dress fitting is tomorrow night at 8 and I havnt bought any shoes.

Cheers to another sober day!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Carlos----enjoy your freedom today---
Old 05-14-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Thank you one and all for the kindness, support and occasional kick in the behind. I was able to close that chapter this morning and it feels fantastic!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

When does the golf marathon begin?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

yaaah whooooooo-----Carlos
Old 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Hi, Soberjim! How are you today?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Well, Gilmer, since you inquired, I will respond. The old me might well have gone on a golfathon for a few days. Heck, I deserve it...not. Funny thing, I don't feel like offering myself a reward. My gang plays on Friday afternoon as a rule, so I will wait until then. I do have a few hundred practice balls that I can bang around in my yard. I also love to hit some drives into the lake.

One thing I have done is take a two mile fast walk. It was difficult and I was completely out of breath. I have backslid pretty far from my crossfit days in the island. I don't need to get on a scale to know that my waistline has suffered.

DG hit the nail on the head a few days ago when she spoke of balance. I want to balance my recovery (mental, physical, emotional and spiritual), recreation, remodeling, volunteer work and business projects. I found that balance while in St Thomas. I need to find it back here now, since I will be here for a good many months till I get my DL back and am removed from probation. One step at a time...one day at a time.

Hey SJ, nice to see you! Hope things are going well for you. I was thinking the other day when it was suggested that you consider a ritual of threads to hit that the 24 hour club might be a great place to offer a daily commitment to sobriety. So many have posted about how that simple task puts them on the right path daily. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Another daily commitment thread that has been around here for years is the "Don't Quit" thread, or DQ for short. DG and I have been doing that "most" days since I returned to SR in July. Bottom line, we all care and wish you the best in whichever methods of sobriety you choose!!

Well, my yard-work is a calling.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

I am doing well thanks.....spent some time today reading posts...glad to be sober..
Old 05-14-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

I once told somebody on another thread that I almost never laughed out loud. Well, it happened today. I just got a text from my husband saying, "Some dog took a giant crap in our driveway. I guess I have to go out and clean it up!"
Old 05-14-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Courage - I don't think your message isn't ornery or cantankerous. It may not fly in the rooms of AA, but to me, here in this recovery forum, it's profoundly hopeful. It shows that recovery is accessible to anyone.

I'm not as inclined to engage in debates about God or spirituality as I was a lifetime ago as a first year college student, listening to my Indigo Girls cd's, peering at the city down below from the window of my New England college dorm room (haha, what a sight!). And I've learned better than to talk about religion. With everything, I've come to find real joy in the diversity of people's experiences and beliefs.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hahaha Gilmer does that mean normally you would have been sent out to do it???

Courage, talking about a ride in a hearse, back in my biker chick days, one of the lads bought a second hand hearse and used to drive round in it dressed as death. Even kept a coffin in the back! I like your take on the journey through life, I too am a faithless heathen, believing this is it, so live it the best we can. I've never spit on the side walk, since having been a road sweeper, I'm quite sensitive to that kind of thing!

BFree I too agree you are sounding really positive.

GF you should definitely find something to do for yourself that you enjoy, writing, rifle shooting, acting, whatever takes your fancy. Just realised I've enjoyed all of them at one time!! I totally agree with Tanja, and would add that as addicts we tend to associate everything that happens to us as relating to our addictions, whereas fact is everyone gets happy, sad, angry etc.

Carlos, I see you doing a Dick Van Dyke heel kick a la Mary Poppins! ward and upward sweetie.

SJ, Babs, I know it's early days, but get organising those sobriety tools for when you need them.

Tanja how have you been keeping?

Thank you for the congratulations and the lovely compliments. The fact is the more involved I have been here, the easier it has been to focus on my sobriety, so any help I give is purely for selfish reasons!!! Lol

Happy Hump Day All
Old 05-14-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Ah yes, freedom, and time to get out of my own way.

What better than a classic Positive Patty post to ease my mind .

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Just one more thing to prove I'm still a disagreeable, irritating snarkbunny -- I'm not big on the journey has a destination and finding your path. It's a metaphor that works for some, but as a godless atheist, my only destination is death, and my path is laid largely by birth and circumstances well beyond my control. What I aspire to, for myself and all others, is times along the way when the scenery is pretty and we have the peace of mind to enjoy it and not spit on the sidewalk. I think that's a lot to aspire to, and every day brings a new chance to make it.
And...oh yea, PP also offered...in the same posting I might add:
"Now it's easier to take things easy and just be surprised to find myself enjoying a cup of coffee and someone to talk to."

Is the bark bigger than the bite? Btw, I do deliver, .

No, no, no Gilmer...tell him to send you a photo first and that you might have an idea...but, you need a pic first. After you get the pic, I will provide step 2.

If you put a in a statement does that exonerate?
Old 05-14-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

I have been fighting a cigarette craving for a big part of today but I'm just waiting for it to pass. I have a headache today and sometimes over the years when I get one, I want a cigarette. Go figure.

I had a mindfulness class this morning and learned a lot. It's turning out to be a really good class with a lot of good people.

SJim, glad you're doing well, Babs too. And Carlos, good for you and the fast walk. Getting right to it. I have to get to it as well!!

I'm reading the rest of you and appreciate the posts! Always something good.

It's over 100 degrees here and there are fires down south. I have a feeling it's going to be a long, hot, fiery, drought restricted summer. I hope we have enough water!

Have a great evening!

Love and prayers xxoo
Old 05-14-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Yes, Toots. I'm the official dog scooper, camp toilet emptier, and kiddy vomit cleaner of the family. Na-na-na-na-na-nah! I'm four hours away!

Carlos, I'll try to get him to send a pic, but I fear it's too late. If it is, you'll have to tell me step two anyway. I'll die of curiosity!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Once, while cleaning kiddie vomit, my husband threw up repeatedly on said child's bedroom floor. I was convinced it was to free himself from future barf duty!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi folks. I'll keep my post short, I'm a bit off tonight. I've been sleeping very badly -- really thrashing around violently, and last night I was crying in my sleep. Some of my bad nasties that Positive Patty has been so successfully keeping down lately are perhaps trying to fight their way into the light of day. After my regular AA meeting tonight I asked a woman about getting together for coffee sometime to talk about sponsorship. I figure, if I'm going to continue to hang around AA, I'd like to make it through the steps, however imperfectly. She seems to be a very calm person, and if there's one thing I need, it's calm. I'll keep you posted if this turns into anything.

Warm wishes to all and special smiles to Carlos for weathering your recent trials quite well, I think. And yes, smilies make everything ok.