Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 31

Old 05-10-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Carlos I didn't know you played guitar! Geez all this music talk and your holding out on us! I've always wanted to play an instrument but tried guitar once and wasn't any good. Sounds like you had some fun. And woohoo countdown on to get that anklet off! Too bad we didn't have enough time to bedazzle it. Womp
Old 05-10-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
p***enger

Elseware -- yay I'm glad you found us! I was missing you and would have PM'd you but for my alcoholic paranoia LOL.

DG, thanks for liking the new me. Whoever she is, she's sure different -- and happier.

Carlos, I just knew you were with a woman. Good for you, you old rake!

Boozefree, I just do a little bit of meditation using a yogic breathing thing that I learned like a million years ago. A lot of US yoga classes are focused on the asanas or poses, but traditionally yoga is just meant to cleanse and discipline the body and mind in preparation for meditation. So if you want the yoga path to meditation and think of taking a class, be sure to look for a class that includes meditation.

Gilmer & DG you both sound rarin' to go on the productivity front! Isn't it great to actually get things done? I was thinking this morning that the world is lucky that I wasn't sober when I was young, because I probably would have had the energy to invade France!

See y'all later. I'm going to an AA meeting not in one of my usual spots but I need one today. Learning through practice is a better slogan than fake it til you make it.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Pish tosh, Courage! I'm not blocked up here in the mountains, so I've been wasting the whole day surfing SR! Only the tiniest bit of homework! :-( I'll get a lot more reading done before 6, though--then I'll do laundry. I think I'll spend the night here tonight and go back early in the morning. It's kind of nice to have a silent day by myself.

Oh, and Carlos--I'm pleased you're doing much better. I was truly worried by the blackness of your mood yesterday--when you didn't post this morning as is your custom, I thought something terrible had happened--God forbid you got hold of alcohol and relapsed or something!

BUT NO! You were carrying on with pals till the cows came home, and then you "slept in" with an FWB! Remind me never to feel sorry for you again! (It is such fun to bust your chops!)

Seriously, it is a wonderful, wonderful gift to be able to bounce back quickly from adversity. I am glad you are doing well.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

AF, kudos on your daily achievements. Each day it gets a bit easier. I thought Glee's post on the early days was spot on, some good suggestions there!

Gilmer, good luck to your son on his job quest. I’m sure with your guidance he will do just fine!

Toots, thanks for the update post on OTHERS. What is up in Tootsville. Or, it that reserved for the “OTHER” thread? Do I need to get out there and stalk you to get a juicy tidbit once again? Oh, just read about your evening with hubby…sounds like you had fun! I love an evening of just cutting up, good for the soul.

Ali, hope your recoup is going well! Sounds like Ruby has that base covered!

Courage, thanks for your post about my circumstance. I agree with you that this experience will make me stronger. I was also thinking about how this type of stress is exactly what had me running for the bottle in the past. Yes, easy to accept the feel good emotions in sobriety (even though they were a trigger as well) it’s the 180 emotions that are most dangerous for me though. Yep, I am still learning how to deal with a full range of emotions at a mid-20’s maturity level.
Hey, PM me that cell #. I would be happy to bug you at 2 pm. It would be a good time to trigger a “so what did you accomplish today, dude” for me too.
Haha, your PM was spot on.

Good plan Zenster, oops, I mean DG. Balance is always a problem for me. In fact I may put that word up on my home office wall. Congrats on the 13!!

Siesta, sounds like your son has some admirable characteristics. I’m sure he will find something that offers an ability to keep his beliefs intact. WOOHOO, congrats on 6 MONTHS!!!

Babs, congrats on the 2 weeks!! You rock!

Hahahaha, Courage is Positive Patty! Yes, you nailed it! Who is that masked woman? Courage, she did get that right, you are changing…bring on those Virginia Slim’s, you've come a long way baby!

Glee, thanks for you kindness and support! Yea, my buddies know all about my plight, but not being alkies, they have had a really hard time understanding how and why I would ever relapse after all that I have been through. Did you start your own Grat thread? Courage and Ali are members of Morning Grats. I get there all too infrequently.

BF, while my given name isn’t Carlos (I am of Spanish decent), it is my chosen nickname by my friends. As the Fox news people say, “Some say it is because I am like Carlos Franco” a one time pro golfer known for showing up right at tee time, foregoing any practice…my M.O. However, Some Others Might Say because watching my play guitar reminds them of another Carlos…Santana. Just kidding. Yes, I do play a little. I am either a work in progress, or, better yet, a piece of work in progress? The fellow that came over last night was the dude giving me lessons in the past. I enjoy all sorts of music, but loves me some blues. Last night we did some Delbert McClinton, Keb Moe, Billy Price, Glen Pavone and Clapton…I even did a little testifying in honor of my man Billy! Wow, we had a blast. As Billy says, “HORNS”!!!
Your posts sound so HAPPY!!

Wait a minute...did Courage just call me an "old rake"?

Now I read Gilmer on a cross-post...haha, slowly I turned...etc
Old 05-10-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

For a second i thought I offended you with my ragging!
Old 05-10-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Carlos! Did you ever listen to Joe Bonamassa? If you're a blues guy, you're in for a treat!
Old 05-10-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

I'm still incredibly tired. (Thank you for remembering Carlos and Ruby does take good care of me) I have something I was supposed to do tonight but I'm not feeling too motivated. I may skip it.

I'm enjoying reading all of your posts. Such sage thinking and advice.

Take care all, I'm going to have to sign off, I'm just beat!

Have a great evening. Love and prayers to all.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Do what your conscience tells you to do, Aly!

Whether you end up doing your task or not, I hope you have a good rest tonight.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

Aly, I am all for skipping things that I don't have to do, when I'm exhausted. I have been toast for these couple of months I've been sober. When I skip stuff I think of it as my "healing time". It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something by doing nothing.

DG - I enjoy trying things that worked for other alcoholics. One of the guys was telling us that he reads a daily reflection; I started doing that, too. The one that struck me last week was about finding rest time. I'm someone who feels best, and by that I mean least anxious, when I have a high level of busy-ness. The notion of rest got me to thinking how finding balance has always been a huge challenge for me.

Gilmer - I do get energized and charged up by socializing, but there is nothing like a nice quiet day at home to recharge, listen to music, and do what I want.

Courage - I'm glad for your heart's turnaround, although I have to admit that even though I haven't known you very long, even I feel mushy talking about your soft heart. No one has ever accused me of being sweet; I've been known for my cynical, sharp tongued persona. (I reserved my mushy kindness and group hugs for drunken conversations.) It's "learning by practice" for me to communicate with heartfelt earnestness while not using. It fits me well, and I think this is the real me, that it's just been hiding for my whole life.

Toots - Spring in the Northeast can be beautiful, but some years it's short. I have a feeling that the weather is going to go from rainy 40's to humid 80's with no looking back, and I'm just not prepared for that. Keep up with the running before the weather turns sweltering!

Carlos - Ambien can do weird stuff. It's too bad you're not a Kennedy, huh? Although your personal life is set up like one! I'm just teasing; FWB can be a nice arrangement.

Have a good sober night, all!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm not quite at the mushy stage yet, Gleefan -- my heart's still pretty hard. But my internal rhythm is no longer that of a dirge.

Aly, if you feel like you need rest, rest. Hey, you're tired. Your body chemistry is changing due to getting off the booze/substances, and even if it weren't -- where exactly does it say that resting when weary is a sin or a crime? I think part of early recovery is a real sickness from all those years of toxic abuse, & it takes longer to heal than we give it credit for. Plus, pushing yourself too hard is a great way to trigger resentment and set yourself up for a slip.

Lecture over.

Boozefree, Carlos, Else & other music fans -- you might like to participate in the ABC Song Titles thread under Interactive Games on SR. I tend to pop in there in the morning -- I find that hunting down a song takes my mind away from the worries of the day. Diversity there is much appreciated.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support and great advice!! I forget sometimes that there is a reason I don't always feel well or have a lot of anxiety and early recovery has a lot to do with it. I still have PAWS from getting off benzos and that can last off and on for a couple of years. So, thank you for reminding me. I decided to let it go and I'm laying on the couch with my laptop and Ruby and Law & Order on the tube.

You all are the best! I've met a great group of people here and I am grateful!

Courage, you do have a very cool and kind vibe. I've noticed it on the gratitude thread too! xxoo
Old 05-10-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Aly I love law and order! Especially the SVU ones! Good choice. And ruby by your side even better.

Courage I will def check that out. I was looking around SR earlier to see if there were any music related threads but couldn't find anything.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

To: All Mom's, Step Mom's, MIL's, Mothers To Be, Mom's of the 2 or 4 legged's...etc

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...1&d=1399803488
Attached Images
File Type: gif
mothers-day2.gif (13.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-11-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Thanks, Carlos!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  
p***enger

Happy Mother's Day to those that are mothers of children and also to all those that are children of mothers! Each group has its special pains and rewards, but only half of us have a chance to be members in both.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Hi undies!
Quick check in before the brunch event. Feeling a little anxious and uncomfortable about it but going to go eat and back home. I was looking at the menu for the place and only saw alcohol drinks listed for the event. I was like hmm what about soda? I guess they only want to advertise mimosas ect.

Happy mom day! My dog forgot to get me something but made sure to wake me up early for the park. Go figure lol.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Happy Mother's Day!

I reaped the rewards of my sobriety today by being present for my little boys, as opposed to being hungover and wishing for a nap. The weather is gorgeous today, and we spent it outside relaxing with my mom, mother in law, and step mother, watching the boys that unite us all together in spite of our difficult pasts with one another, as they rode bikes, played street hockey, shot baskets, and participated in all other manner of outdoor activities. A great day.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Whew, rather quiet day on the thread. I really don't have much on my mind. I'm just doing my time. Well, let's see if I can come up with a talking point with someone??

It's day 17 of 20 for me, so I should be starting to see the light soon.

I am watching the golf tourney on the tube. Totally boring. Some dude has had a three shot lead all day...no suspense. Ahh, opening for a whine here: I should be playing, not watching golf today.

Went to a meeting last night and all of 5 of us showed up. I was the JR member in the group (age and sobriety). Felt strange for some reason? We discussed avoiding complacency in our recovery. I came away feeling level, an emotion that feels pretty strange. To be honest, I think I could take a punch in the face without feeling any emotion right now.

Else, thanks for the blues artist lead...I have never listened to Joe Bonamassa. I will look him up on youtube.

BF, hope your event is fun and you find a suitable non-alcoholic beverage.

Glee, haha, so you have a sharp tongue and turn mushy when over beveraged. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that you're type a and have a case of the all or nothings too? Are we related?

Courage, I'm finished bringing people down today...I could do chapter and verse on the pain and working on letting it go half of the group you listed above. So, RIP Mom, I hope that you have found some peace! She and I had our challenges.

Ali, hope your recovery is progressing. PAWS can be a bummer...two words, Ice Cream!

Later, alligators

Cross post Glee...Congrats on the SOBER rewards today brought you!!
Old 05-11-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Carlos, to address your suspicion, I am the most serious, hardest driving child care provider you've ever come across. My classroom's curriculum is based on the state frameworks that public schools follow.

Type A - check.
All or nothing - check.

That life hasn't served me well, in life or I wouldn't be here. Sobriety is the first thing I've ever attempted that I didn't feel the need to be the "best" at. I can relate to your feeling uncomfortable by a sense of levelness. The challenge is to be level, not dull. To be gentle, not a pushover. Tough stuff for Type A's!
Old 05-11-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi all --

Gleefan, you sound truly appreciative of your day with sons and moms.

Aly, Carlos is right on with the ice cream. I swear by 3 tablespoons of Ben & Jerry's to slam most cravings!

Boozefree, I hope everything went okay at the brunch. What's going on with the dog training class? Are you still doing it, and are you meeting any people there?

Carlos, what's on the calendar for the first day of freedom? I'm with you on the letting go of mom-stuff. I guess the simple fact is that my mother & I never bonded. She was a stranger with whom I was very close due to years of proximity. (sigh and moving right along...)

I spent the afternoon with former sponsor. We took a long walk, ate lunch, watched dogs & children. She's nags me a bit to put the lid on some of my trashcans other than drinking. Smoking is an obvious first. (Now Carlos gets interested.) I'm not a serious smoker, but when I quit drinking, I started using cigarettes to substitute for drinks, to start and end my workday and get me through the middle, too. Time to develop some other short-term motivation tools.

Hugs to all!