Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 29

Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Prom is a pretty big deal, but I think more for the girls than the boys. It's all about getting all dolled up, and I think that's the most fun part of it, too, personally. Focusing on that is a great idea, I think.

My dd has a spectacular flashy red gown for hers. It's gorgeous, and she looks completely fabulous in it.

Another busy day here. It's my youngest dd's b-day, so we went out tonight and did the whole present thing and all. It was fun! I'm missing my 17 year-old, though ... she comes home late tomorrow night. She misses home, too. (yay for that!)

I have a spot on a morning tv show tomorrow, so I've been prepping food tonight. There was a time when these were a trigger for me, as I thought I needed to drink to "relax" afterward. Honestly, I'm don't even get stressed about them to begin with. So that was just my AV lying to me ... and I bought it because I wanted to. It's nice knowing that I won't throw away the rest of the day tomorrow. In fact, in the past, starting to drink on Friday usually ended in squandering the entire weekend. Not anymore! I've got things to do and people to love.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

So grateful to be sober

So, here I am not employed, financial worries, blah blah blah and yet I am so grateful to be sober. Why ? To be able to receive a birthday card from my oldest daughter saying that I was her role model, that she is so appreciative as I want the best for my children and am always looking out for her, for my wisdom (cough), charm (cough) and wit (cough).

To be able to receive a card like this is simply priceless and one I would never have received when drinking....
Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
So, here I am not employed, financial worries, blah blah blah and yet I am so grateful to be sober. Why ? To be able to receive a birthday card from my oldest daughter saying that I was her role model, that she is so appreciative as I want the best for my children and am always looking out for her, for my wisdom (cough), charm (cough) and wit (cough).

To be able to receive a card like this is simply priceless and one I would never have received when drinking....
How lovely, Kane! You deserve such a gift!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
Prom is a pretty big deal, but I think more for the girls than the boys. It's all about getting all dolled up, and I think that's the most fun part of it, too, personally. Focusing on that is a great idea, I think.

My dd has a spectacular flashy red gown for hers. It's gorgeous, and she looks completely fabulous in it.
I agree that prom is a much bigger deal for the girls than it is for the boys. My husband is a little befuddled by it, even though he lived through it as a teen (proving that it is a bigger deal for girls than for boys!).

PBC, the dress that is the front runner right now is a red, very classy, classic gown! Some of the pastel gowns are very pretty, but I have always liked a statement gown. And it is so much fun to see her in all of them; she would look terrific in a burlap sack, so some of these gowns really do look great.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I'd love to see links Grace if you feel like sharing! I loved all of my formals and dream of those days coming with my little daughter.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi all, sadly Ive realized I cant do this on my own anymore and that I need rehab, ive booked in to see doctor later today and contacted the local alcoholism support type place and told them the extent that im drinking, so hoping to to be sent somewhere soon.

Life is unmanagable and yesterday was a big wake up call, I basically went to the pub at 9am for a few to feel normal before an importnant job interview and basically couldnt stop and missed the interview, it was a horrible way to find out just how much of a hold it has on me. I need rehab and the sooner the better.

Havent drank today and feel awful but hoping to get to an AA meeting later.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear from you 1step and so glad you are taking the steps you need to take care of yourself.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're taking the decisions you need to to change your life 1step
Best wishes with finding a rehab soon

D
Old 04-11-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Hi all, sadly Ive realized I cant do this on my own anymore and that I need rehab, ive booked in to see doctor later today and contacted the local alcoholism support type place and told them the extent that im drinking, so hoping to to be sent somewhere soon.

Life is unmanagable and yesterday was a big wake up call, I basically went to the pub at 9am for a few to feel normal before an importnant job interview and basically couldnt stop and missed the interview, it was a horrible way to find out just how much of a hold it has on me. I need rehab and the sooner the better.

Havent drank today and feel awful but hoping to get to an AA meeting later.
Great decision 1Step, I'm sorry that is has taken these events for you to see the dire importance of you getting additional help. We are here to support you my friend, stay sober until they can find a place for you.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

~~Food for Thought ~ T.G.I.F. Edition~~
~~Be Patient and Stick 2 It!!!~~

Welcome to the day that we learn the secret to success and stick to it!

Today’s Mental Feast is dedicated to having patience and seeing your dreams and goals to the end! Most people who fail don’t do so because they lack skill or ability… They do so because they lack patience!

We live in a microwave society where some want to see the harvest right after they plant the seed! There is little to no consideration for the real process of success so in turn we have an epidemic of people who are going about success the wrong way. If you surveyed all people who have ever had success in anything, the one thing they will have in common is their Stick-to-itiveness! They will all tell you how at times the going got tough but the mere fact that they didn’t give up was the driving force behind their success!

Just because something isn’t happening at the time you want it to happen doesn’t mean that it isn’t meant to be! All it means is that the time isn’t right! If you become impatient and give up, you are pouring all of your hard work down the drain! Regardless of how long it takes remember: It is in the small, ordinary moments that extraordinary accomplishments are built.

As Ralph Marston once said Though you may only move a few inches at a time, those small steps, taken one after another, will eventually put you miles and miles ahead.” Have patience and Finish what you started!!-Ash’Cash

~~Healthy Snacks~~

“It was important enough for you to start, so go ahead and get it finished.”-Ralph Marston

“We can do anything we want to do if we stick to it long enough”-Helen Keller

“Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.”-Josh Billings

“Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.”-Langston Hughes

“Never think that delay is denial. Hold on; hold fast; hold out. Patience is genius.”-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon

“God's delays are not God's denials....have faith, stay working, stay patient and stick 2 it”-BlkDiesel

“Patience is not passive waiting. Patience is active acceptance of the process required to attain your goals and dreams.”-Ray Davis

“He who can have patience can have what he will.”-Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-11-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thanks all, waiting for a phonecall from the alcoholism support tem from around here, got to be brutally honest and ask for rehab I cant go on like this also arranged for a lift to aa meeting later. The panic I feel and anxiety is horrific. Telling my doctor about it again is embarrassing but I need to keep banging on the door to try and get a place in rehab- dont know how easy it is to get in, but I know that I will die without help and need them to realize this.

Im scared of not seeing my kids for the time il be in for Im really frightened right now about so many things but feel its come to this and I have no other choice.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Fair enough. we had one in 84 but but I was a Catholic lad lol.

D
You're younger than I thought you were I thought you to be an old man like me.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good luck 1step..
Old 04-11-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

My senior prom was so much fun I will remember that night the rest of my life because that night was one of the worst nights of my life.. The prom was perfect my date was perfect the whole night was perfect . Then I got home my brother had to go across town to pick up his daughter and I went with him I woke up in the hospital two days later and my brother was gone. I'm sharing this because I think this has a lot to do with where I have ended up .
Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Grace, I hope the dust settles for your dd and she gets to a place where she is happy about her date as well as her dress.

Kaneda, what a wonderful card!

1Step, I hope you get your call very soon and the support you need. Sorry you have struggles so much and feel so anxious and depressed right now. Hang on.

Mr. Fixit, so sorry for the tragic loss of your brother. How are you? Did you have that jaw surgery?

Kaneda, prom has become a HUGE deal here, moreso than when I was young. We had one, and it was nice, at a classic, historic hotel in Boston, but we drove our own car, and I had a very modest and affordable dress. But now, it is a 2-3 day event in some places! Limos, expensive(like hundreds of dollars) dresses, pre-parties, post-patires, overnights. Girls get their hair professionally done, nails, etc... It is outrageously expensive, and in my opinion, out of control in some communities.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

1Step, I am so proud of you for making the right decision to seek rehab and to not give up. What a brave man you are. Your daughters will miss you for the short time you are gone, but you will return to them the man you want to be and the daddy they deserve. I am praying for you, friend.

Fish, how awful. I am sorry for the loss of your brother.

Rochele is right: prom can be pretty out of control. Right now the big thing is for the boys to come up with some elaborate or adorable way to ask the girl to prom, like having "Prom?" shaved into his buzz cut or something. I feel so sorry for these poor teenage boys because you can't just say you are going to prom, you have to have a story for how the invitation was made. Another element of the whole prom thing my husband just doesn't understand, and I don't blame him!

Renarde, I will let you know the links to the top 3 after all the dresses have arrived. You can advise on jewelry. I grew up wearing a uniform to Catholic school so I am helpless when it comes to accessorizing!

Finally we have a warm, sunny, springtime day here. My preschooler is at a friend's house for the morning and I feel like this is the first time I have breathed all week. I am very thankful to be sober. I don't think I would heave handled this week well at all with a constant hangover.

Thanks for all of the support, friends.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Its been 32 years since I lost my brother I'm over it but I do miss him at times thank you everybody
Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hugs, Fishy.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

We are covering alcoholism today...abuse, withdrawal, etc. Makes me uncomfortable.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

How's it going 1step? Have you heard from anyone?