Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 29

Old 04-06-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Brooksie my condolences on the phone! Perhaps it was too heartbroken to go on without it's true love TV.

Just quick check in. Tomorrow I head to the locked psych ward of the county hospital for clinicals. Eek. I have to get up at 4:15 am too. I will be there 2x a week for the next month....
Old 04-06-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Just quick check in. Tomorrow I head to the locked psych ward of the county hospital for clinicals. Eek. I have to get up at 4:15 am too. I will be there 2x a week for the next month....
In college I had a job in the hospital cafeteria...serving food to the patients. My favorite shift was the psych ward. Those guys had some GREAT stories, especially from the paranoid schizophrenics. Everyone either used to be, or was currently in, the CIA....and they were there on secret missions in search of Aliens, Russians and/or the Mob.

Man, those guys could tell stories and they were really good pool players.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning, all! I got busy this weekend, and this thread got away from me. I guess that's probably a good thing, right?

We watched a documentary about alcoholism at our service last night. It was called The Anonymous People. Very interesting. I am fully aware that, one day, I'll be speaking publicly to large groups about this disease.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

5:03 am and I'm out the door - hope you all have a lovely sober day!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

You too Renarde

D
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I made it back to day 20.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

~Food For Thought ~Thank God It's Monday Edition~
~WORK IT OUT!!~

No matter what you're facing. Don't let it hang around, sap your strength and energy, or drag you down. Decide to find a way to work it out. Ideas will come if you tap into new resources and seek out different. You will have to do some things that you have not been wiling to do up to now.Trust me on this.

You hold the key to your own rescue. It has been said that "insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results." Decide to stop getting in your own way. Make the commitment for yourself to work it out!!

Take back your Power. Get away from people and situations that are preventing your growth. Carve out time to work on getting clear about what you want to be happy and fulfilled. Become positively selfish. Eliminate all drama and takers from your life.

Decide to create a loving, enjoyable stress free zone for your mental health and well being.You can be happy in spite of the bills, toxic environment and craziness going on around you. Take back your power and let people handle their own stuff. Live life like you mean it! Stop procrastinating! Do all that you can...with all that you have...in the place that you are...right now! Life is too unpredictable to put things off and not take it seriously.

~Healthy Snack ~ Discipline~
Discipline is the only way to avoid struggle, chaos, and confusion. When you know what you must do, when you must do it, and why you are doing it, things that are not in alignment with your intent seem to fall away.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Quick update - I hate the locked psych ward! Tomorrow I'm going to the jail hospital.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it takes a special kind of person to work in both places Renarde - not that I have experience of jail hospital, and only a brief experience of locked wards, but you know what I mean
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

A thought I've been having lately. In the past month, I've found that I seem to be withdrawing from social events. I am happy to hang out with my good friends, immediate family and AA but I am becoming very reluctant to go out to dinner and social functions. Part of it is the fact that I hate telling folks that I am not working right now but I am wondering if its also that I am withdrawing ? That worries me as withdrawing is an early sign of relapse. My psych didnt seem fussed about it. Just said that I was just being comfortable with the network I have.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrFixit63 View Post
I made it back to day 20.
Keep going Fix Fishy !

Old 04-07-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Why do you think you are passing on the invites Kaneda? Why do you think it is making you uncomfortable?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
A thought I've been having lately. In the past month, I've found that I seem to be withdrawing from social events. I am happy to hang out with my good friends, immediate family and AA but I am becoming very reluctant to go out to dinner and social functions. Part of it is the fact that I hate telling folks that I am not working right now but I am wondering if its also that I am withdrawing ? That worries me as withdrawing is an early sign of relapse. My psych didnt seem fussed about it. Just said that I was just being comfortable with the network I have.
Kaneda, I totally understand not wanting to go out because you aren't where you want to be (in terms of employment).

I do the same thing with my weight and did it when I first got sober and hadn't started writing again. The one time I did go to a social function I brought a wingman for support so I wouldn't feel alone and/or insecure.

Not that you need to be a man about town, but it is healthy to step outside of your comfort zone in (reasonable) social situations if an opportunity presents itself.

Social events are also great networking opportunities!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Quick update - I hate the locked psych ward! Tomorrow I'm going to the jail hospital.
Renarde - What did you hate about the psych ward? (It sounds scary!)

I used to work with schizophrenic people also. One guy I worked with would write these really detailed and intricate molecular "formulas" that, according to him were formulas for things like cunnulingus and time travel. He was a grade A pervert!! Just being around him made me feel icky, like he was raping me with his eyes. Another guy (who I really liked) thought he had been shot in the head and arm and chest and had a device implanted inside of his brain.

One guy was obsessed with electronics and had 2 iPads and an itouch but all he would do in them was write the same word or phrase over and over in the "notes" app. He became obsessed with me and tried to stalk me. He knew what train I got on to go to work and would be waiting for me there in the AM!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I go to far less social engagements now than I used to, and I haven't relapsed Kane
Best way I can put it is I changed...and my priorities changed with me.

Every time I did relapse in the past I knew it was coming - there was no ambiguity or subtlety - I just did nothing about it.

I think you'd know too

D
Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Where are the UK peeps?? Lommey, Tallia, Clemence, miss u guys!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

~~Food for thought ~ Thoughtful Tuesday Edition~~
~~Fall In Love With Yourself~~

~Note~
"You can only truly love, and give love to another, when you truly know how to love and cherish yourself. Self Love is the first and best love...Fall In Love With Yourself First!!!"

~The Meal~

Take full responsibility for your life. Stop blaming others. See yourself as the cause of what happens to you.

Do things you like to do. Don't stay in a job you don't like. Participate in life at the highest level you can.

Give yourself the simple pleasures of life abundantly. Wear clothes you feel good in, get a massage etc.

Watch what you say. Avoid self put-downs. Stop being critical of yourself and others.

Take care of your body. Give it exercise and good food.

Be willing to create a life-style that generates and nourishes self-esteem. Associate with others with high esteem.

Acknowledge yourself frequently. Keep a diary of your successes and accomplishments.

Avoid comparing yourself with others. Remember that it's who we are, not what we do, that's important

Give yourself permission to do nothing periodically. Schedule time by yourself.

Frequently take deep breaths. Discover the benefit and pleasure of breathing fully.

Eat first class frequently. Don't look at the right side of the menu.

Stop trying to change others. Focus your attention on being the way you want others to be.

Look into a mirror regularly and say "I love you, I really love you".

Stop feeling guilty and saying "I'm sorry". See mistakes as valuable lessons and avoid judging yourself.

Consciously generate positive thoughts and feelings of self-love in place of old thoughts of inadequacy.

Be willing to laugh at yourself and at life. Stop taking yourself so seriously.

Accept compliments from others without embarrassment. Don't invalidate their positive thoughts and feelings about you.

Be kind to your mind. Don't hate yourself for having negative thoughts. Gently change your thoughts.

Keep your awareness and your thoughts focused in present time instead of living in the past or future.

Acknowledge others frequently. Tell them what you like and appreciate in them.

Invest money in yourself. Go to seminars, workshops and courses that develop your talents.

Make a list of 10 things you love doing and do them frequently.

Treat yourself as you would treat someone you really loved. Praise yourself.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone! Let's make it a beautiful and meaningful day!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Kaneda, I also avoid social situations when I am uncomfortable with myself. This can include weight gain or lack of proper clothing(and no desire to shop for a 3 hour event). Now, the sober journey keeps me in. Sometimes, if I am feeling an strong craving to drink, I skip such events. But sometimes, not having a job is part of it.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Just checking in, can't follow thread. Learning all my waking hours.
No free wifi in room, only in lobby. Hope you are well, especially you guys that got back recently.