Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 29

Old 04-09-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

No time to catch up, but I'm thinking of you all!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Tomorrow

… will be 3 months since I've had a drink. I've hit this milestone before and blown it, but this time I feel much better prepared to keep moving FORWARD.

I've been pretty darned stressed lately and unable to sleep through the night, so I allowed myself the luxury of taking some Benadryl last night. I'm so glad I did, because I feel so much better! It's tempting to take more tonight, but I don't want to get into that unhealthy habit. I'm off today, so going to try and stay focused on some much needed housework. YEARS of depression led to a disorganized, messy house and I need to tackle one room at a time. Some of my worst anxiety now comes from feeling overwhelmed with it all, and it's been paralyzing… and procrastination has been the result.

I'm giving myself until 3:00pm before leaving for my dad's where I'm going to … clean! It's always easier to tackle other people's messes! Why is that? lol

Anyway, I have been reading here whenever possible and thinking of you all. Hope you've been feeling the vibes.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Newleaf, Hooray for 3 months! Congratulations!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

So good to hear from you NewLeaf! Congratulations on 3 months. Here's to 3 more and a clean house!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations NL!

D
Old 04-09-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Yay, NL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now do it again!
Old 04-09-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

JUst a quick one. Thanks for all the birthday wishes. Brings a big smile to my face Had a nice day yesterday (though ate too much )
Old 04-09-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
JUst a quick one. Thanks for all the birthday wishes. Brings a big smile to my face Had a nice day yesterday (though ate too much )
Great to hear Kane, I think we'd rather the food today than the drink today. Again Happy Birthday 2 ya!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Lillian, oh the homework struggles. My daughter had some tough years in elementary school. Jr. High was amazing, and she has completely changed. become more organized, focused, and so independant. She has come a long was for a girl with learning issues and ADHD. But we had many long nights with tears and drama over homework. Sometimes, they just need ot walk away for an hour or do it the next day. The drama gets to where nothing gets into the brain anyway.
Thank you for this. It is nice to hear things get better! Funny you should say that about walking away ~ I've taught her to do that when she starts getting frustrated and it really helps. My husband doesn't get it (he thinks we should force her to sit there until it's finished and I completely disagree). Now that I'm Director of Homework, we take breaks and have lots of nurturing. It may take us longer, but guess what? Drama is significantly less this week. Not bragging but....ok, well I am.

Congrats New Leaf ~ Yay YOU!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Newleaf: woohooo, well done on reaching 3 months !! That's a terrific milestone ! Keep rockin' !!!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Thursday Edition~~
~~Practice Persistence~~

Welcome to the day that you remove failing, losing, giving up, giving in, and all phrases and actions that don’t serve you from your vocabulary and thought process!

Today’s Mental Meal is dedicated to persistence. Whatever you want in life WILL be yours if you are diligent and persistent enough to go and get it! The question should never be IF you will reach your goals but rather WHEN! Know that no is not an option!

The moment you remove any thought of defeat from your mindset is the moment you continue the journey to greatness and achieving all of your dreams and aspirations! If you didn’t intend to give it all you got, then why set out on the journey to begin with?

Go hard or Go Hard! Stop being so passive and make your dreams happen the best way you know how!!! You are the only thing standing in the way of your happiness! Be persistent and take what you deserve! #NothingCanStopYouButYOU!!-Ash’Cash

~Healthy Snacks~

“Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.”-Newt Gingrich

“When life knocks you down you have two choices- stay down or get up.”-Tom Krause

“No great achievement is possible without persistent work.”-Philemon Bertrand Russell

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent”-Calvin Coolidge

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragement, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak” -Thomas Carlyle

“Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.”-Newt Gingrich

“Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working.”-Unknown

“How long should you try? Until.”-Jim Rohn
Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I am still chugging along here. My dad is doing ok and is pursuing getting a motorized wheelchair which I think will be a good thing.

Just when my 17-year-old daughter seems to be brightening more drama rears its head. Briefly: two boys were interested in asking her to prom. One has carried a torch for her for a while now and they are good friends (we shall call him Torch Bearer, or TB). The other, Aggressive Guy (AG), has been around for a few months. They have a few classes together and have done a few things together but it hasn't been a full-on dating thing. Anyway, TB and AG found out about the other's plan to ask her. She knew they both wanted to ask her but, as we talked about it, she decided she would have a good time with either one, so it wouldn't make sense to turn down one in favor of the other. So AG beat TB to the punch. TB is hurt and, while he is overall a mature, very nice young man, his hurt and a few things he has said have my daughter feeling really sad and guilty. AG is hovering at school, which is not the way to get points with my daughter. So there is a big cloud of non-excitement and sadness following her around. I know the whole boy thing will work itself out. I just wish she could be excited for what is supposed to be a super exciting night! To add to the whole scene, she will be spending the next 3 days with TB working on a Saturday fundraiser event they are cochairing.

I know it all sounds very minimal, but she is a good girl who would never want to hurt anyone. She was caught in a tough spot and I keep telling her she didn't do anything wrong. But she just needs to work through it. Unfortunately, prom isn't for another 5 weeks, so she can't just get it over with.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Congrats NL!

Happy birthday Kan!
Old 04-10-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

The poor kiddos, Grace...being a teen is hard!
Old 04-10-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Maybe help her focus on the fun details of her outfit, jewelry, hair makeup flowers etc?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Maybe help her focus on the fun details of her outfit, jewelry, hair makeup flowers etc?
That is what I am trying to do. We don't have a lot of great shopping near us so I have been ordering dresses for her and googling hairdos for each one. It is kind of fun to pretend to be a stylist!

I hope once we get through this weekend she (and TB) will be able to look forward and put the disappointments behind them. Right now they are practically living together working on this event, and that has to be really awkward!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
That is what I am trying to do. We don't have a lot of great shopping near us so I have been ordering dresses for her and googling hairdos for each one. It is kind of fun to pretend to be a stylist!

I hope once we get through this weekend she (and TB) will be able to look forward and put the disappointments behind them. Right now they are practically living together working on this event, and that has to be really awkward!

Grace

From Oz, I have always been curious about this phenomena of a prom in the US. We dont really have the equivalent here. So, the only time I see this is in US movies and television shows. Is it really as big an event as played out in the media ?

Oh, boy troubles. I am fortunate in not suffering from that so far. Hope that continues for another 20 years I am sure you will guide your daughter well !
Old 04-10-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

Didn't you have a Formal or anything Kane?

D
Old 04-10-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Dee

We dont really have formals when I was at school. We did have dances and balls but there wasnt really an 'event' of the year type thing.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fair enough. we had one in 84 but but I was a Catholic lad lol.

D