Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 29

Old 04-08-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Having a tough week here. My oldest is dealing with some teen stuff that really has her down and stressed out. My dad had another fall this morning and might need to go to urgent care because his knee is swollen to grapefruit size. I have lots on my plate to take care of this week (company coming this weekend, big charitable event we are involved in, birthday celebration we are hosting). I started to taper my anxiety meds last week and I am feeling ok but a little overwhelmed....not sure what's attributable to the reduced meds vs stressful situations having their natural impact.

I will not drink. But I need to vent.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Grace, some things that help me when I'm feeling overwhelmed because of too much on my plate:

* Make a list of what needs to be done. When I write it down, I know I won't forget about it and don't have to obsess to remember.
* Prioritize said list. What's really important? What's not so much? What really makes no difference but is something I would spend time on anyway? Cross that off. I am not Martha Stewart and that's okay. Honestly, my dh helps me with this because, in the moment when I'm in full panic/martyr-mode, I struggle with crossing anything off.
* Delegate. No, it probably won't get done the way I would do it, but it's good character building for the other family members to share the load. And it's okay if it's not always my way.
* Set a time at night that I won't work past. An over-tired PBC is NOT a good thing.
* Eat healthy. I can't expect to run well on crappy fuel.

Hugs to you!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Grace, PBC has some solid advice. I know how the stressed teen can stress a mommy. Ugh. Sounds like a very busy week.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Having a tough week here. My oldest is dealing with some teen stuff that really has her down and stressed out. My dad had another fall this morning and might need to go to urgent care because his knee is swollen to grapefruit size. I have lots on my plate to take care of this week (company coming this weekend, big charitable event we are involved in, birthday celebration we are hosting). I started to taper my anxiety meds last week and I am feeling ok but a little overwhelmed....not sure what's attributable to the reduced meds vs stressful situations having their natural impact.

Vent away GG, we all have times in our lives when things get hectic and challenging. Sometimes, just having a place to vent and get some perspective does the trick. I'm sure we will try to do that here
Old 04-08-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
Grace, some things that help me when I'm feeling overwhelmed because of too much on my plate:

* Make a list of what needs to be done. When I write it down, I know I won't forget about it and don't have to obsess to remember.
* Prioritize said list. What's really important? What's not so much? What really makes no difference but is something I would spend time on anyway? Cross that off. I am not Martha Stewart and that's okay. Honestly, my dh helps me with this because, in the moment when I'm in full panic/martyr-mode, I struggle with crossing anything off.
* Delegate. No, it probably won't get done the way I would do it, but it's good character building for the other family members to share the load. And it's okay if it's not always my way.
* Set a time at night that I won't work past. An over-tired PBC is NOT a good thing.
* Eat healthy. I can't expect to run well on crappy fuel.

Hugs to you!
Good advice for everyday living PBC, not just when one is overwhelmed.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I go to far less social engagements now than I used to, and I haven't relapsed Kane
Best way I can put it is I changed...and my priorities changed with me.
This puts it in a nutshell for me (always wondered why we put things in a nutshell, crazy place to put anything...but I digress LOL!) My priorities have changed but it I need to network for potential career opportunities then you have to prepare yourself for the environment and have options for how to deal with alcohol at these events.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for you and your Dad Grace.

D
Old 04-08-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Morning all from rainy Melbourne. I think our seasons are about to cross over with those in the Northern Hemisphere ! Getting older today but I dont expect any calls from my mum or sis I am simply grateful that I have this second chance !

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I usually dont enjoy meeting new people or large social events as I am an introvert. In the past, I would have a few drinks to 'ease' into such gatherings. Now that I dont drink, these events seem to have become boring and stiff. On top of that is the fact that I am not working so doesnt exactly help (though I think all non-alcoholic folks feel the same way). Its odd in that nowadays I simply cannot engage in 'trivial' conversations for very long. I try my best but after 30 mins of discussing sports, missing airplanes and my kid's latest academic results, I get bored silly. Its part of the new (?) me I suppose.

Ugh, I hate networking. BUt yes I do force myself to do it on occasion. I have even honed down my spiels for specific occasions. Usually, I grit my teeth when having to launch such spiels as I find it terribly boring to talk about myself.

Grace, pls vent away ! I have 3 teenage girls so I know a little though admittedly the mum is much more involved. I hope your Dad recovers quickly as well.

Blkdiesel: thanks for your dailies as ever.

Have a loveley day/evening all ! My love and thanks to all

Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Morning all from rainy Melbourne. I think our seasons are about to cross over with those in the Northern Hemisphere ! Getting older today but I dont expect any calls from my mum or sis I am simply grateful that I have this second chance !
Happy Birthday, Kaneda! This is a new year, really, in more ways than one. Glad to see you're embracing it and so incredibly glad you're here.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post

I understand this, GGrace and hope your load gets lighter. It's so hard not to worry over the ones we love. Someone once told me we Moms are only as happy as our saddest child, and I know for me… it's absolutely true! I've got four of my own, and I don't think a day goes by when my heart doesn't ache for at least one of them. Hope your dad's ok, too.

Big Hugs,

NL
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. First, thank you for the permission to vent. It's nice to have that permission! PBC, that is some good advice. It will all get taken care of. I am not afraid to order pizza for a crowd.

I spent the afternoon at the ER with Dad. Nothing broken, but a badly swollen knee and some cuts that needed tending. He cannot bear weight on his leg so he is in a wheelchair for now which I know he is going to hate. The next few days are going to be difficult for him, not being able to do all the stuff he normally does for himself. This is not going to be a quick recovery and he is not a real patient guy, so I will need to try to stay a step ahead of him with diversions.

My daughter is blue but things seem to be getting a bit better. Time is the best healer, but it's hard to watch.

Ugh. Very tired so I am going to tuck in early. Again, thank you for the support, everyone.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Oops!

Happy Birthday, Kaneda!!!! I hope this will be your best year yet!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy bday from me too Kane
Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
Someone once told me we Moms are only as happy as our saddest child, and I know for me… it's absolutely true!
This is really true for me too. I have one child that is usually pretty darn happy and another whose life is always filled with drama. The dramatic one...filled with many ups and down.....usually upset or sad or mad...and when she's there, there go I too.

I have become Director of Homework for her. Going on 3 solid hours tonight of 6th grade math. I am emotionally spent.

So Grace, I get it. All I get told is "it gets better." Ok, well I won't hold my breath. I think someday that 6th grade math is going to seem like a cakewalk!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Happy Birthday Kane!!!!!

I hope it was a great day.

The introvert thing seems strong with you like it does me. I'd give your counselors opinion a great deal of weight. I've given up trying to enjoy small talk and I'm so much happier!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Wizdom Wednesday Edition~~
~~Fly Like An Eagle ~ Watch Your Surroundings~

Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to your surroundings!!! They say “Only a Knife can Sharpen a Knife!!” They say “Birds of a feather flock together” They also say “If you’re the smartest person in your group, then it’s time to find a new group” Even though we don’t really know who “They” are, They are absolutely right!

Will Smith once said that you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with. If you are not continuously surrounding yourself with people who can help lift you higher then you are limiting your potential. Your surroundings and who you associate yourself with have a big impact on how successful you can be!

As the saying goes “You can’t soar like an eagle, when you hang around with Turkeys” (No disrespect to the Turkeys though) Bad vibes, Bad energy, Bad company, limiting beliefs, pessimism, and so on and so forth, will only bring you down!! Rise!! Shine!! and Make Things Happen!!! Your success and accomplishing your dreams and aspirations are too important to be allowed to be diminished by someone who wants to live in gloom and doom! Soar to your highest height and take what you deserve! #WatchYourSurroundings-

~~Healthy Snacks~~
“You are a product of your environment. So choose the environment that will best develop you toward your objective. Are the things around you helping you toward success – or are they holding you back?”-W. Clement Stone

“Surrounding yourself with dwarfs does not make you a giant”-Yiddish Proverb

“Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.”-W. Clement Stone

“You should appreciate the goodness around you, and surround yourself with positive people.”-Nadia Comaneci

“Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.”-Oprah Winfrey

“Always surround yourself with people who are better than you. The others will bring you down . ..”-Donny Osmond
Old 04-09-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Happy happy happy happy BIRTHDAY, Kane!!!!

:day

(and you don't have to make small talk with ANY of those happy, smiling emoticons! )
Old 04-09-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Getting older today but I dont expect any calls from my mum or sis I am simply grateful that I have this second chance !

Ugh, I hate networking. BUt yes I do force myself to do it on occasion. I have even honed down my spiels for specific occasions. Usually, I grit my teeth when having to launch such spiels as I find it terribly boring to talk about myself.

Blkdiesel: thanks for your dailies as ever. Have a loveley day/evening all ! My love and thanks to all
:day
Kane...May you spend it doing what you love with those you love. Njoy the day matie. Remember that usually our net worth is tied to our networks so go network your butt off lol!!! And your quite welcome for the dailies as always.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

:day6

Happy Birthday, Kaneda!
Old 04-09-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Grace, how sad about your dad. he has had a rough time in recent months. I hope he heals up, but that knee sounds awfully bruised.

Ordering food is always a good option and time saver for a party, and I think a good plan if it comes to that. And a cleaning service to get thehouse ship shape if need be, and you can afford it. Anything you can take off your plate is a win this week.

Lillian, oh the homework struggles. My daughter had some tough years in elementary school. Jr. High was amazing, and she has completely changed. become more organized, focused, and so independant. She has come a long was for a girl with learning issues and ADHD. But we had many long nights with tears and drama over homework. Sometimes, they just need ot walk away for an hour or do it the next day. The drama gets to where nothing gets into the brain anyway.