Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 3

Old 02-24-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dax501 View Post

I recommend anyone feeling down go see Frozen. I don't care how old you are, that movie will make you smile.
Yes, I totally agree dax!! Saw it for the first time yesterday and it really lifted my spirits! Great movie and not just for kids.

Happy Birthday Delphine!! Hope you get to do something nice for yourself
Old 02-24-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the well wishes!

There are a lot of good posts here that I hope to read and comment on later. I made it home without buying alcohol. For some reason I had it in my head that today was supposed to be some kind of magical day and then got let down when the people in my life kind of ditched me. I feel a little weaker emotionally than usual and not sure if my alcohol avoidance tactics will work if I go out. I just need to calm down and hang out with the dogs for awhile and try to regroup. I can think of a few other things I would like to do if I can get the AV to leave me alone.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Day One for me. I made it, albeit with a hangover, but I am pretty well sober now. Feel a lot better too.

Susan and SleepyDots, good posts. I enjoyed reading them.

Happy Birthday Delphine!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delphine View Post
Thank you everyone for the well wishes!

There are a lot of good posts here that I hope to read and comment on later. I made it home without buying alcohol. For some reason I had it in my head that today was supposed to be some kind of magical day and then got let down when the people in my life kind of ditched me. I feel a little weaker emotionally than usual and not sure if my alcohol avoidance tactics will work if I go out. I just need to calm down and hang out with the dogs for awhile and try to regroup. I can think of a few other things I would like to do if I can get the AV to leave me alone.
I am sorry that your day has worked out this way so far, Delphine, and that your friends have let you down. Kudos for not buying alcohol.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gibbons2 View Post
Day One for me. I made it, albeit with a hangover, but I am pretty well sober now. Feel a lot better too.

Susan and SleepyDots, good posts. I enjoyed reading them.

Happy Birthday Delphine!
Welcome, Gibbons.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread Gibbons

D
Old 02-24-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Sober Today

@Delphine - Happy birthday!

@Susan - Thank you so much for sharing. It is great to learn about you, your family and your struggles.

I hope everyone is well? I read the past couple of pages but am just popping in quickly because I have to work evenings now that I'm in IOP during the days. It went well today. I wasn't forced into sharing or doing anything that I didn't want to do. But today was an "easy" day and we got out early. The tough stuff lies ahead - bring it on!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

SleepyDots-
I agree about the monotony.

I went to an AA meeting. It's the same meeting I went to 4 years ago when court mandated I attend one. I didn't have much good to say about it - at the time I thought the folks ewe old and the young ones were hot messes. Dee made me realize I was being judgemental, so I decided to try it again. I'm glad I did. I was only 1 of three women there. I didn't speak in front of the group, but after the meeting the two other women introduced themselves, which was nice.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delphine View Post
Thank you everyone for the well wishes! There are a lot of good posts here that I hope to read and comment on later. I made it home without buying alcohol. For some reason I had it in my head that today was supposed to be some kind of magical day and then got let down when the people in my life kind of ditched me. I feel a little weaker emotionally than usual and not sure if my alcohol avoidance tactics will work if I go out. I just need to calm down and hang out with the dogs for awhile and try to regroup. I can think of a few other things I would like to do if I can get the AV to leave me alone.
I'm glad you posted. My last birthday was really tough. It was midweek, in November, with both kids having hockey practice, and my husband busy at work. I was in a new job, my assistant called out that day, and my new coworkers who promised me lunch tried to back out. I drank. That didn't change that it was a long, hard day where I felt ditched. Let yourself feel the disappointment. It will pass.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Hi everyone and welcome to all the new members!

Didn't have a chance to check in today, but read everyone's posts. Congrats to those who made it to another day and to those who may have slipped or are struggling - hang in there and keep coming back. The important thing is to not let that slip turn into a long binge. Come right back here, talk to us about it and get right back on the horse. We are all here for you.

Day 16 coming to an end. Was a pretty good day. Went back to the gym for the first time in weeks and I think it really helped with the mood swings today. Need to get back into the habit of going because it always makes me feel better and I think it keeps my AV at bay. At least for today it did.

Hope everyone is doing well. Hugs to all of you
Old 02-24-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Thank you ladybug.. And every one of you. Each and every post inspires me in some way.
I am fighting with this voice inside of me that is telling me to stay away from sr and this February thread. Telling me that I don't belong here because I failed. Telling me that all if you only want to hear success and motivational posts. But I know that's not true. All my time on sr all I've seen is people helping each other and I know I read and appreciate posts from all different levels and stages of sobriety. We learn from each other.
I am disappointed I myself for drinking this weekend, but I am realizing some things. I know I have a long road to go, but in the past. 2 years, sobriety has become a part of my life. I am either living it or I am working towards it. It's not perfect or ideal. But it's my reality and will keep movjbg forward to permanent sobriety because I know rhat is the life for me,
Old 02-24-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  
Administrator

FABL - helping folks like you helps me.

and being here helps you....I can see your journey here...you are heading somewhere

For those things, if for nothing else, you can kick that AV to the kerb.
Stick around - you're part of the family

D
Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Thank you ladybug.. And every one of you. Each and every post inspires me in some way.
I am fighting with this voice inside of me that is telling me to stay away from sr and this February thread. Telling me that I don't belong here because I failed. Telling me that all if you only want to hear success and motivational posts. But I know that's not true. All my time on sr all I've seen is people helping each other and I know I read and appreciate posts from all different levels and stages of sobriety. We learn from each other.
I am disappointed I myself for drinking this weekend, but I am realizing some things. I know I have a long road to go, but in the past. 2 years, sobriety has become a part of my life. I am either living it or I am working towards it. It's not perfect or ideal. But it's my reality and will keep movjbg forward to permanent sobriety because I know rhat is the life for me,
I think I appreciate the posts from the people who may falter but get back up just as much as the motivational posts. I'm new. I already faltered last month. A major motivation to start again this month was knowing I'm not a failure because I've seen how hard it is for EVERYONE. None of this is easy for any of us, or we wouldn't be here. We're all in the same boat, just trying to stay afloat. You learned a lesson this weekend, and by sharing with us you help us too
Old 02-24-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Day 9 here and past the first weekend without binge drinking. I've had brain fog over the past 4-5 days. I typically only drank on weekends, so I'm not sure if it's even possible to have that as a withdrawal symptom or if it's just coincidental.

The peer pressure and fear of being an outcast due to not drinking has hit me hard recently. Workplace drinking among the professional crowd is common and makes it easy to bond with others. I've seen guys excluded from social activities because they're not into going out and throwing back beers with coworkers. Others who are drinking buddies with those in higher ranking positions are usually considered for promotions. This is common in many professions.

I don't feel like I'm craving alcohol itself, but I start to over-analyze everything related to sobriety. I think of situations and ask myself if I will be able to turn down a drink. Or, I hear everyone tell stories of drunkenness and ask myself what makes these people different than my own self? Why am I concerned about my drinking if they aren't? Am I just in a situation that allows for more frequent partying and heavy alcohol consumption?

I expected myself to reach this point after a week or two of sobriety. I hope I can get back on track.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone,

The forum is really rocking as the month begins to wind down. Day 23! I had a little difficulty falling asleep last night. Probably, just thinking about all the posts over the past few days and thinking about myself. I like to spend the last 1/2-1hr of my night in bed, reading/re-reading over SR posts. I wish nobody had any issues in life and kicking alcoholism would be easy for everyone. But then again, life isn't easy and you get out of it, what you actually put into it. So with that said, let's have everyone forget / learn from any miscues this month and commit/re-commit a 100% going forward, so we all remain in the February class as March approaches. I'd hate for it to be crickets in there because too many people started over in the March class!!!! I don't know about you folks, but I don't want to start over and experience those early withdrawals again in March. I want to be a mentor (even If I only have 30-50 days sobriety). I want to be able to check in with the March class and offer some advice, my thoughts, and share with them what I learned this month from you guys/gals!!!

Here's to a great day for everyone, whether today is day 1, 30 or ~2000-2200.

Last edited by Briggsy75; 02-24-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-24-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
Administrator

I made new friends Brent, and reconnected with old ones. My friendships now are not based on a mutual love of alcohol.

I'm not in the corporate arena butI used to be a professional musician. People expected me to drink with them - they demanded it at times.

The trouble was those drinks contributed to me missing gigs, playing drunk, and ultimately losing my musical career.

We're not playing pinochle here - the stakes are serious.

Recovery means some lifestyle changes for most of us, and some of those changes are hard decisions to make.

Don;t take my word for it tho. Post on the general boards and you will hear from others here who are both successful business people and non drinkers, so it is possible.

Don't let the AV convince you it's not

D
Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

I made it through this evening without drinking. Day 14 was rough. Thanks for your support Team February!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:18 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it Delphine - congrats on two weeks

D
Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

"Feeling Good" by Muse

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzGzGvlKZn4

Birds flying high
You know how I feel
Sun in the sky
You know how I feel
Reeds driftin' on by
You know how I feel

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good

Fish in the sea
You know how I feel
River running free
You know how I feel
Blossom in the trees
You know how I feel

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good

Dragonfly out in the sun
You know what I mean, don't you know
Butterflies all out havin' fun
You know what I mean
Sleep in peace when day is done
And this old world is a new world
And a bold world
For me

Stars when you shine
You know how I feel
Scent of the pine
You know how I feel
Yeah, freedom is mine
And you know how I feel

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good
Old 02-24-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Day 9. It was a difficult afternoon. Anytime I meet with my couselors or groups I always leave red faced and crying. Im in my 40s and I cry like a little kid. Today was no different I left my appointment upset and having to sort out my emotions for the rest of the day.
For the past 15 years I have shoved all the uncomfortable feelings way down and covered them in plenty of alcohol and wine. Now that I have stopped drinking I have to sort thru those same 15 yrs of emotions. I cant even tell what emotions I am feeling its just one big ball of emotion that hits me in the face everytime.
After my appt, I found myself walking around the gorcery store trying talk myself out of going down the wine section. I felt like screaming because I was so furstrated with my AV. I even snapped at a couple of ladies in the dairy section. I shoved my basket away in a big huff. Im sure they thought I was crazy. lol.
So now Im home emotionally exhausted but sober for another day. Sorry if I dont make too much sense. Just thinking about my day.