Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 9

Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey, all. I thought a lot about your insights about my sobriety and my upcoming girls weekend. I think there was a part of me that was still playing with the idea of only drinking on "special occasions." The problem with that is that before I knew it, special occasions would once again be rationalized by me to end up being every weekend again. And I really do like my life and my physical being better without alcohol. Also, I don't want to worry about marring any more important occasions in my life with a possible embarrassing drunken moment. As far as GW is concerned, I think I was worried that if I talked about my sobriety at Girls Weekend someone would say something to upset me (ie. about my past drinking, etc. ) and my weekend would be ruined. So, I decided you all were right by saying that I had to address things before the weekend with my friends. So, I sent an email to everybody saying that I had quit drinking (initially for health reasons ~ my ulcers) and I liked being sober so I wouldn't be drinking this go around. I feel a lot of relief by doing this. I already got an email back from one friend that said that since she turned 40, she has a "two only" rule. She was nice, supportive and really treated it like "no big deal". Thanks again for keeping my head on straight, Tobers!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

DD - that is awesome!!
Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Good for you DD! Yet one more indication that often the old saw about "honesty being the best policy" is right on. Of course, sometimes it can get one in big trouble! But in times like this, it seems like it was good counsel. Amazing how we get ourselves in situations where we don't want to admit something because of what we THINK will be the response, and so we don't say anything and, thereby, block ourselves off from receiving the kind of help we need. It WAS great watching/reading the suggestions about how to handle your dilemma. As I've said before (and even known when I've been away), SR is faboo!

Fishy
Old 02-07-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Way to go DD. We have this illusion that others think the way we do about drinking. In reality, most of your friends probably aren't thinking, cool a girls weekend, time to get my drink on. Most are likely motivated only by the friendship/bond of this weekend. I think you will go into this weekend with a much better perspective, knowing your friends are on the same page with you.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Oh and DD, don't worry I've read enough posts from you to know your AV was acting up. Kind of why I sent that post about it yesterday. Good to see we put her in her place.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go DD

D
Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your kindness, honesty and kudos, Tobers! I haven't heard back from anyone else yet, but I am sure it will all be good. I believe there will be some disappointment because I think I was the "hide behind" drinker of the group. What I mean by that is, by my outlandish drinking escapades, other people's drunkenness would not have been noticed. I think it will change the dynamic of the group a little bit. But in the end, sobriety and long time friendships trump all!!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

DD that is soooo great! You must feel such relief! And such honesty with yourself! Way to go! My husband just reminded me that when we fly out of CR to CA, we will be staying the night before our flight out at our favorite B & B. In the past, since it is a long drive, we usually are so tired that we just buy a bottle of wine (really, just one) and some good cheeses and crackers ...then to bed. When he told me that....I kinda got really sad, and in some way felt gypped...I have always really enjoyed that glass or two of wine when we arrived there, overlooking the central valley in CR. I hadn't thought about it until just now...glad I did though....gotta get a plan B.

As for my DIY projects.....as I said, I had to sew the mats together by hand....AND the fact that they are STRIPED didn't help. Bottom line...it doesn't look like a carpet....it looks like mats sewn together (BADLY). I keep staring at them and wondering if they are something that I can live with....doubtful...(or maybe hoping for "magic fairy dust" or thinking that "with time, you won't REALLY see the seams...lol....Thought about calling the upholsterer and giving her another project (fix it!) since we ended up buying new couches instead of using her to reupholster....hubby wants to go into the closest town that is somewhat of a city and look for a "real" rug....hahahaha! We are going tomorrow If all else fails....mail order! Gotta say, though, the chair came out great!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Proud of you DD. Yes I am.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey trudging, do you have extra strips of upholstery or other matching fabric that you can sew over the seams (kind of like you would a quilt)? That might tie it together.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishoutawatta View Post
Good for you DD! Yet one more indication that often the old saw about "honesty being the best policy" is right on. Of course, sometimes it can get one in big trouble! But in times like this, it seems like it was good counsel. Amazing how we get ourselves in situations where we don't want to admit something because of what we THINK will be the response, and so we don't say anything and, thereby, block ourselves off from receiving the kind of help we need. It WAS great watching/reading the suggestions about how to handle your dilemma. As I've said before (and even known when I've been away), SR is faboo!

Fishy
Three really good points Fishy. On the last one, I agree, it was great watching that unfold...truly Tobers at their best.

One day, I will be able to put into words how much this group means to me...

...but for now I'll just share last weeks SuperBowl snappetizer recipe! It was so flipping easy, tasty and fun.

For the record, we added canned mushrooms. In the future I would add fresh minced garlic to the mix.

What you dont see in the recipe (cause there is no picture) is that before you quarter the pizza dough, you first cut the dough into 5 or 6 pieces right out of the package, THEN quarter (think garlic roll size BEFORE cooking).

Makes a pretty good size. You may want to consider halving (Cindy, Bilr, DD - make the whole thing with all your grubs running around!!)

Bilr, I'm betting this might be really good if you used one of your bread (dough) recipes in leiu of the store bought dough. (send a couple orders up my way and I'll let you know how they compare - hee-hee!).

Everyone is happily sleepin right now. It fills my heart to see all my peoples so contented.

Babies!!

Oh, and don't forget your wifes on Valentines fellas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pizza.jpg (85.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-08-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Driver, I might have to double the recipe with two teens in the house. We love breads here.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Driver,

Recipe looks good, although my 10-yr-old son would say it lacks: Red bell pepper, Red pepper flakes, red onions and Sriracha sauce. All that, plus your ingredients, is his breakfast of choice. He will have NO taste buds by the time he finishes MIDDLE SCHOOL!

Fishy
Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Great recipe, Driver! Yes, reflection....I thought about that....don't know if it will work....have got my hubby's utility knife ready, though! May just cut 'em apart again! Hahaha! We'll see what happens in the "city" today....and I will stare at the "carpet" for a little while longer....hope everyone has a great day!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Driver that recipe looks tasty, indeed.

We got a bunch more snow last night - the last of it I've heard...means more shoveling/sweeping the porch, stairs and walk for me. I guess it's a good alternative to the gym, since the streets are all snowed over and I can't drive there.

I'm going to walk to my local coffee shop later...feeling pretty isolated and quite restless too. I just took a couple vitamin d to try to help with the funk; it's amazing the ups and downs of this. One of my triggers is definitely boredom (or the concept of boredom - there is always something to do!). I've been trying to have a good mix of sitting with the pain and feelings, processing them, reflecting on them, moving on from them and forcing myself to stay active and productive. In the past all that was dealt with by wine bottle/going out to a bar, etc...Retraining myself - my bad behaviors - is so hard, but not impossible. I guess like no drinking, it really is a day at a time.

Here's to the weekend, 'tobers. Thanks fer readin’.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I just spent some time looking back at older posts I made to try to piece together my history of drinking and sobriety. I quit drinking in October of 2010, 2011, and 2013 (2012 was a mess). I had forgotten that one time I quit, it was because I ended up in court because of what I did while drinking…mortifying! Unfortunately I can't tell why I went back to drinking each time, as I'd stop posting here until I decided to quit again. Looking at the pattern, though, was like watching the movie "Groundhog Day." How many times can I put myself through this?? I have a difficult time staying sober in the spring and summer because I romanticize drinking outside in warm weather. Going to have to make a plan for when the weather lets up.

For now, though, we're getting bombarded by this snow storm. My husband and I were supposed to go to a party tonight, but I think we're going to stay home. I had even e-mailed the hostess to let her know that I'd bring my own nonalcoholic drink. It's safer all around to stay home, though.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
I just spent some time looking back at older posts I made to try to piece together my history of drinking and sobriety. I quit drinking in October of 2010, 2011, and 2013 (2012 was a mess). I had forgotten that one time I quit, it was because I ended up in court because of what I did while drinking…mortifying! Unfortunately I can't tell why I went back to drinking each time, as I'd stop posting here until I decided to quit again. Looking at the pattern, though, was like watching the movie "Groundhog Day." How many times can I put myself through this?? I have a difficult time staying sober in the spring and summer because I romanticize drinking outside in warm weather. Going to have to make a plan for when the weather lets up.

For now, though, we're getting bombarded by this snow storm. My husband and I were supposed to go to a party tonight, but I think we're going to stay home. I had even e-mailed the hostess to let her know that I'd bring my own nonalcoholic drink. It's safer all around to stay home, though.

wow ls, thats some pretty impressive research, nicely done - no small task. anything seem different this time around?

you seem pretty invested to me.

safe and warm wishes to you ls.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thanks, Driver. One thing that seems different is that I'm okay with telling people I don't drink. I don't care what other people think this time around. The other times, when I was around people who were drinking, I'd feel weird, I'd bring something to drink that looks like beer (for example, cream soda in what looks like a beer bottle), or I'd make excuses for why I wasn't drinking (not feeling well, on antibiotics, watching my weight, you know all of them I'm sure). This time, I haven't been around anyone bugging me to drink. Maybe they've all realized that I have a problem so they let it go more easily. But even when people ask, I'm okay with telling them that I was drinking too much and I needed to stop or, you know, that I suck at it. The response I get most is "Good for you. I need to slow down or quit, too. It's hard." So hopefully this spring/summer, I'll have more stability in my sobriety than the other times. I need to be careful who I hang out with, as I know I have more trouble around some people than others. I do feel different about this time though, a gut feeling that I'm done.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Wow Little Sparrow, that's impressive. I'm really happy for you.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good for you, LS! I was dreading telling my friends who I have a GW coming up with, but I have heard back from most of them and everyone has been incredibly supportive and kind of blase about the whole thing. Now I kind of feel proud and confident about the whole thing. Perspective change.