Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 9

Old 02-08-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

DD, I'm so happy that it worked out for you. Now you won't need to worry about it as much. And with giving the other women a heads up, you never know, you may have helped one of them
Old 02-08-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
DD, I'm so happy that it worked out for you. Now you won't need to worry about it as much. And with giving the other women a heads up, you never know, you may have helped one of them
LS, as you pointed out weeks ago, you never know who you are helping out. It's funny, I told one of my friends via email that I no longer drink this past week. His response was that he doesn't even like the way that he feels the next day after drinking only two beers, and that back when he was younger it was no big deal because his only responsibility was drinking again the next day. So it's really not a big deal for me not to drink anymore because a lot of people my age slow down considerably.

My son went to a 16th birthday party on a chartered boat today. Where I had to pick him up was at a touristy marina called Bayside. There a several outdoor bars there and the smell of beer really didn't appeal to me. I enjoyed just walking by knowing that I will feel a lot better than a lot of those people tomorrow. Just six months ago I would have already been passed out at this hour.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
Thanks, Driver. One thing that seems different is that I'm okay with telling people I don't drink. I don't care what other people think this time around. The other times, when I was around people who were drinking, I'd feel weird, I'd bring something to drink that looks like beer (for example, cream soda in what looks like a beer bottle), or I'd make excuses for why I wasn't drinking (not feeling well, on antibiotics, watching my weight, you know all of them I'm sure). This time, I haven't been around anyone bugging me to drink. Maybe they've all realized that I have a problem so they let it go more easily. But even when people ask, I'm okay with telling them that I was drinking too much and I needed to stop or, you know, that I suck at it. The response I get most is "Good for you. I need to slow down or quit, too. It's hard." So hopefully this spring/summer, I'll have more stability in my sobriety than the other times. I need to be careful who I hang out with, as I know I have more trouble around some people than others. I do feel different about this time though, a gut feeling that I'm done.
That is great LS. Sounds to me that your locus of control has shifted inward; that has to be a good sign that you are headed in the right direction.
I certainly get the AV wooing you when the weather starts to warm up though. It's a time for rebirth, excitement, possibilities, etc....why not enjoy it by hanging out with a comfortable old friend?...

Personally, I'm still amazed by the wonderment of sobriety. I continue to see things in such different (and positive) ways...like seeing and feeling them for the first time (or the first time in a long time anyway). Maybe when spring rolls around, press your reset button....

...meaning....

suspend the notion that you've already been quit for some time, and re-start the clock. Give yourself long enough to experience the rebirth and all it's wonder without our old friend (read: enemy). Who knows what wheels that might grease for your sober outlook/confidence/stability?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

And I still love the "cause I suck at it" line LS!!!

I had every intention of using that line whenever possible. But to my former (but no longer) amazement, I only used it like 2 times. It's funny, most folks in my life either don't notice or just don't care that I quit. Maybe I just hid my drinking so well they don't get the gravity of my sobriety (whatever, I'm not gonna advertise it...quietly content).

I just like the humor in your line LS.

Quite frankly, I like making light of the whole damn quit. Yet I know it's serious business, so I often bite my tongue. Especially here on SR.

(I was tempted earlier to suggest moving to Alaska come spring Sparrow, but that's just insensitive)
Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Driver, I'd do it if their winters weren't so bad! We have a friend who lives there. She's in a cabin with an outhouse. No running water because the pipes would freeze. Nooo thanks! (I do appreciate a little levity here though!)

I do like your idea of renewing my focus and sort of restarting the clock when the weather warms up.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

So look out for next disseration to you guys and gals in the next week or so (if interested).

My sobriety is no longer in question; really hasn't been since about November. You guys and gals help keep me well grounded on that front. Quite frankly, at this point I'm using this group for growth in other areas of personal/social/emotional comportment.

Tobers, I'm in flat out overdrive here. This is as close to fact without being proven: my approach/outlook is vastly different than it was 4 months ago; even 3 weeks ago. Sounds impossible, I know. But true so far as I experience it. A big turning point was my last disseration about 3 weeks ago. That post (regarding insecurities), just by virtue of writing it, pushed me past a major hurdle in my life.

I can't thank you guys (victims) enough. Without this venue, I seriously doubt I would confront myself so fully and honestly. I guess I feel that if I'm gonna write it, it best be the complete truth (so far as I know it).

I'll give you all details later. Everyone is sleeping here til next feeding so tonight I'll try to finish off two Learning Disabled reports.

BTW, today took care of both babies by self for about 4 hours today. Thought I'd pull off my best baby whisper and everthing would be super-chill. Yeah right. Think Keystone Cops up in here! Get one down, deal with another, repeat. Up to my ears in crap, cries, and bottles! Wouldn't have it any other way! Love it!

Babies!!
Old 02-09-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

QOTD?

Favorite TV show.

Mine (all-time): Hands down...The Andy Griffith Show. Couldn't think of a better place to get arrested (hee-hee). Just stay away from Otis.

Seriously, totally admire and respect the real Andy Griffith. Just a cool, down-to-earth man. Seemed like he had it all figured out.

The show was just plain old funny.

Rod Serling's Twilight Zone ranks up there.

Guess my current is Walking Dead. I don't watch a lot of network television.

Love movies, old and new. We have one of the coolest movie theaters in all the land here in Tampa (i.e., Tampa Theatre, original, huh?). It was built in 1926 and looks just like it did the day it was built. They screen classics there every Sunday....awesome! Indies on other days.

The womens bathroom upstairs is rated one of the top 10 bathrooms in the United States!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Wow, you guys are getting very introspective and insightful! How great is that?! During one period of sobriety, I remember that when people would question me about my NOT drinking, I would say something like, "I drank enough for you and everyone around you for waaaayyy too long....just don't wanna do it anymore....". More often than not these days, I just don't say anything....and no one cares/notices. Can't believe all the talk of cold, freezing temps, snow, etc. Soooo foreign to me! We have been here for almost four years now...and every day is the same....about 80-90 degrees...only difference may be a breeze, or in the wet season when we get rain....same temps though. Been driving myself a bit crazy lately looking at area rugs and home decorations....a friend will be opening a consignment shop in town....meeting with her on Monday and she has all kinds of connections for shipping. Soooo....may even go that route. Been super busy lately, and I like it! Doing all kinds of stuff. As for favorite TV show....hmmmm....has definitely changed over the years....but we are big NCIS fans....will do some more thinking on that. We have also been watching Leverage, which is new to us, but we get it on Hulu. I do remember loving My Favorite Martian as a kid though
Old 02-09-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Half way through our trip and I'm 100% sober. No temptations with family being here:-) Going to see an old friend from college for a couple days now - already gave him the heads up that we don't drink anymore. Probably have to do some explaining but will be a good exercise I think.

Take care everyone...22 days today, this time around.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Good morning! Wow, love the introspection going on these days. It is so nice to be past the having to really focus on just not drinking phase of sobriety. I have never been a big TV person which works well because my husband and two of my sons are sports fanatics so that seems to be what is on TV most in my home. Years ago, my DH and I were entranced with the X-files. My youngest son loves The Big Bang Theory and I do find myself laughing out loud when I watch it with him.

We came close to making a house deal yesterday even though it really was too small for our family. (charm galore but really not enough space for the Brady bunch + three dogs that my family is! LOL) Anyway, in the end the owners were insulted and unrealistic. (now I know why it has been sitting for a year; I was beginning to question my tastes) All in all, I think they saved us from ourselves. It is hard, because 3 years ago, I was in their shoes so I do have compassion but I have no desire to overpay for housing this go around.

LS, keep close by and we will get you through this Spring with flying colors. No more October starts for you, little bird!! October 2013 was your final good-bye to the poison that no longer is killing any of our minds, spirits or bodies!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thanks, DD! My husband is on board too. He's cut way back. Last night when we decided not to go to that party, he said, "I'm glad we're not going. I'd probably be drinking, and I don't want to drink." Wow. So we'll keep each other in check when the temps warm up, and I'll have the Tobers for support as well. The tricky part will be in June when we go to Ireland, but the friends we're going with already know that I don't drink anymore (it's a husband and wife, and the wife has many dietary restrictions so I think they'll be understanding).

Favorite TV show? Well I just caught up on Parenthood episodes and I love the show. But, I think my true favorite is the Dick Van Dyke Show. I loooove old TV shows. The Mary Tyler Moore Show, I Love Lucy, and the Bob Newhart Show (the one where he's the psychologist). I love old movies too (anything with Doris Day in it!). Maybe I was born in the wrong era.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Favorite tv shows have to be when I was a kid because I don't watch much anymore. Gillian's Island, The Brady Bunch, Hogans Hero's. If I had to pick a show today it would be Modern Family, and CSI: Miami (go figure) from a couple of years ago.

Off to the in laws condo to spend the day (and eat!!).

On a good note, I have gone to the gym 8 out of the last 10 days. I'm pretty much doing an elliptical/EFX machine for an hour.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Mornin' Tobers!

Lots of successes to celebrate here! Big ones and small ones. I made it through a tough day yesterday (too many triggers!) -- so a little celebration on my end for staying the course.

QOTD: Too many favorites, depending on the decade. I used to LOVE "Hill Street Blues" and "St. Elsewhere." "Monk", of course. "House", too! And the old, classic, PBS Mystery series (with Morse, Miss Marple, Sherlock Holmes, etc.).

Don't watch much of anything any more -- maybe sports.

Happy Sunday, folks!

Fishy
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Fishy,

I forgot about Hill Street Blues. It was my favorite show back then. I remember waiting for Thursday nights.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

QOTD: Lately I've been enjoying Grimm The past 3 days I've been snowed in (ice/snow today) and am almost done with Dexter, another favorite. MASH will always be on my top 5 favorite show list, though.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

MASH is primo, of course. And there were episodes of the various Star Trek series that were REALLY good -- made it worth watching for the real gems.

Fishy
Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

OH! We finished House, Dexter and 24! Loved 'em all....sad to see 'em go! Hear Jack Bauer is coming back though! OK, DONE with this DIY sh** No wonder I had a tailor and a REAL upholster and REAL stores in the states...ugh! I am BUYING and SHIPPING a carpet (or two or three!)....and the little, tiny cushion I made for the log chair looks like a damn oven mitt....lol....although, I must say...it IS the shape of the seat....hahaha!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
OK, DONE with this DIY sh**... and the little, tiny cushion I made for the log chair looks like a damn oven mitt....lol....although, I must say...it IS the shape of the seat....hahaha!
Yes, lol too!

Just tell people you have eccentric style. Or that you made it pre-sober.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
Yes, lol too!

Just tell people you have eccentric style. Or that you made it pre-sober.
LMAO!! My mom always said she could always pick out my girl scout crafts immediately. They were always the worst!! Maybe I started drinking earlier than I thought . . . . . LOL
Old 02-09-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Sober and present with my old college buddy. Told him I quit for health reasons and it was as simple as that. We have been reminiscing a lot about the old party days which is fun but not regretting being sober at all. It's quite a relief, actually. This is so much better than the alternative!