Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 9

Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

One of my happiest moments before moving down here was selling my snowblower. I do not miss shoveling snow, or worse, having to scrape ice off of windows when it is 10 degrees outside. The downside is that we have to mow the lawn all year round. I'm one of the few people in SOFLO who actually does his own yard.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Well, Billr, my hubby likes to do the yard work too....says it's the only exercise he gets (not true)....So, even though labor here is cheap ($3.00/hr) ...does everything but mow. We don't own a mower, so in the rainy season, he does pay the guy next door $4.00 an hour to mow
Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Trudging, I wish it was $4.00 per hour here. They want $110 to cut the lawn and trim. It was about half that price for the same size yard in PA.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

WOW! I do know that in L.A. we pay $70.00/month for our gardener to come once a week
Old 02-11-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I have a friend of a friend who I paid $16/hour ($4!!! $110!!) to help clear a bunch of ivy out of the back yard. I'm definitely having him come back around this summer...need to get the back yard done (patio, plants, etc.). Luckily, my place has a smallish yard, which I've been slowly revamping myself. Like painting, yard work is meditative for me. My latest house project (I'm still painting) is picking out floor tile for the kitchen. My house has a retro feel, so I'm going for gray/white checkerboard. Fun times the houses.

Trudging, good luck on the rake!!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Yay! We signed the new lease today. She gave us a key even though our lease does not officially start until March. I told my husband that I want moved in by early March (even though our other lease ends in April) because our current landlord wants us to do showings with no refusals, etc. That is a PITA especially with kids and dogs. The new house is more modernized but I do feel a little melancholy about leaving this one. I guess that is because it is the place where we landed when we first came to live in FL. It was our first "nest" down here. So weird to actually feel all of my feelings instead of drowning them out with alcohol the minute I start feeling them. Definitely feeling tired and bluesy but it will pass.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

DD,

I don't think you are under any obligation to let her show the house with "no refusals" unless it is specifically written in the lease. While it is her house, she has right to inspect the property under reasonable circumstances. She cannot not just call and say someone will be viewing the house in one hour. Your not under any obligation to keep the house perfectly clean, nor are you obligated to cage your pets when you are gone. We wanted to look at a house that was for sale but being rented out, but the landlord was not showing the house because the tenant was not cooperating. I'm not saying play hardball but you should also have the right to feel comfortable and not at a moments notice for someone to knock on the door. After all you rented the property with a reasonable expectation of privacy and this must be upheld by the landlord. I studied real estate and know a little more than the basics in Florida. She can ask to show the house, but you have the right to refuse.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Cynder, when I go to Ireland, I'll be staying in Kinsale for about a week and then Dublin for about 3 days. You'll have to let me know if you find any must-see places in Dublin or anything to avoid. I'm also concerned about Guinness, and whiskey (my friends want to visit a distillery), and Bulmer's cider. I've already learned from past mistakes about drinking on vacation so I think I'll be alright, but I'm going to have to be on guard.

I just got home from a concert, and not drinking worked out beautifully. The venue had an upstairs where people could drink, but the main level was no alcohol because it was an all-ages show. The view of the band from upstairs was awful, so my friends and I stayed on the main level. I wasn't even tempted to drink since no one else was drinking around me. It was great. I had a bad day at work today, so I know I would've put a few drinks away easily if i were in my drinking days.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Administrator

Over my drinking life, I think I personally drank enough Guinness for the both of us, and possibly your friends as well LS...so no worries there
Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

LS, I visited a distillery in Aruba where they had as many free shots at the end as you wanted. That would have been a dream back when I was drinking, but was just a "meh" this time. You'll be fine as you have a lot of sobriety behind you now. I never acquired a taste for Guinness so that wouldn't be a temptation for me. I've gotta believe that they don't serve it real cold either.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Congrats on the new house DD! Let me know if you need to find new rugs....I know ALL the internet sites...lol! Gotta again agree with Billr on "showing" the house. Even, here, although the house is for sale, we are entitled to "notice". When we moved here, though, I wanted to move in as fast as possible....was "done" with the old place once the decision to move was made. Things will get exciting once you begin to make the move LS...wow...a concert??? Sober???? Good for you! Not much new here...thank goodness...basically picked out the rugs I want to buy....waiting to see if the people who are coming down to stay while we are gone (to visit the States) will bring them on the plane with them (and thereby avoid shipping/duties costs. Moving on to working on a flower basket my hubby picked up for me today. Oh...BTW...ripped apart my sewn throw rugs.....now I have 4 again! LOL....I am enjoying this "decorating bug" I have gotten lately....even though most of it has not been very successful! Have a good day everyone!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Trudging, I have to get back into the painting. Eventually the whole house but that is overwhelming. One day at a time as they say. Years ago, while on vacation, we bought a Persian rug in Mexico which they shipped for free. Well, free is a relative term as I'm sure it was built into the price.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Mornin' Toberts,

Up to my armpits (fin-pits??) in alligators for the next few days! But all is well. Just checkin' in!

Fishy
Old 02-12-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Well...here's the latest rug update....I AM DONE! We are having a couple stay in our house here when we visit the States in March. Soooooo I asked them if they would bring the rugs on the plane if we paid for the oversize baggage fees. THEY SAID YES! So....found all three rugs...free shipping in the USA...shipped them to their house and they will bring them! Saved over 300.00 in customs/duties/international fees! AND...I took the oven mitt off of the log chair.....MUCH better....lol! Glad to hear from you fishy! And, Billr....painting is my next obsession....AFTER I get my documentation together for my meeting with the Provost....funny, how priorities change
Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
Cynder, when I go to Ireland, I'll be staying in Kinsale for about a week and then Dublin for about 3 days. You'll have to let me know if you find any must-see places in Dublin or anything to avoid. I'm also concerned about Guinness, and whiskey (my friends want to visit a distillery), and Bulmer's cider. I've already learned from past mistakes about drinking on vacation so I think I'll be alright, but I'm going to have to be on guard.

I just got home from a concert, and not drinking worked out beautifully. The venue had an upstairs where people could drink, but the main level was no alcohol because it was an all-ages show. The view of the band from upstairs was awful, so my friends and I stayed on the main level. I wasn't even tempted to drink since no one else was drinking around me. It was great. I had a bad day at work today, so I know I would've put a few drinks away easily if i were in my drinking days.
I will definitely report back! I must stay away from the pubs because I know I will be too tempted there. I am already at war with my AV about "when in Rome" and all that. Ugh. Just going to need to avoid and find an AA meeting right away. We can do hard things!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Cynderino, LS and you should be fine if you both go over there with a definite plan to not drink. When I first hot on the cruise in December, the first thing they tried to do was hand me a glass of champagne. Had I drank that it would have been a springboard to all out drinking the whole cruise. But not drinking that gave me resolve the rest of the way. Just think of the money you'll be saving by not drinking, especially with the conversion rate. When I went to London years ago the conversion rate of a glass of beer was $8.50. I did the math in my head and realized how much money I'd have to spend to get drunk every night.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I tested my knee today on a treadmill. I was able to run for about 3.5 miles at a 9:15/mile pace without any pain during or after. This is a far cry from the pace I used to run in my 5K races and marathon training but I'll take it. Hopefully everything remains the same and I can continue seeking improvement. Think I will mix up days with the treadmill and elliptical for now so I don't press the issue. It sure is a confidence builder though. A year ago I couldn't walk without a limp and a doctor recommended surgery with about a 50% success rate.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Hey all,
My ***** email address somehow became " invalid", and my password for SR said it was wrong. Just put in a new address and ID. Haven't drank beer in a few yrs, and I drank a few the other day. Beer just doesn't agree with me anymore. Shouldn't have done it anyway. Won't be doing it again anytime soon. Family's good, jobs adequate, weathers bad, and I'm sick. Man I missed you guys posts !
Old 02-12-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back JL

D
Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Welcome back, JL!

Fishy