Notices

Class of March 2013 - Part 23

Old 01-16-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi All, Just a quick hello. Nothing new or exciting going on in KenWorld. Hope you Aussies aren't melting!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Work news:

1. Not getting promoted this year. I got great reviews for the last 6 month period, but because I missed so much time, first for rehab and then for the surgery, that they want to just see more of my work on a consistent basis. I'm a little disappointed. I understand where they're coming from, but it sucks that everyone else will get promoted except me. Feels like I'm getting left behind a year in school. I don't really care about the money, as I'll likely get a raise anyway, and I make more than enough. It's more of a pride thing that someone 10 years younger than me, with less experience and less technical knowledge will get promoted ahead of me. Next year, I guess. This is a consequence of my drinking and I must take it in stride.

2. I just got asked tonight to work on a project in L.A. for the next month. My mom is freaking out. She thinks flying will affect my hips (I don't know about that), and that I'm at risk for relapse (she thinks that about everything). I know I can find meetings out there. I still have my Philly support system in place and I'm sure I can meet some people in L.A. to talk to. As far as the health concerns, I will try to talk to my surgeon tomorrow. I don't even want to go out there, but in light of my review, I think I need to prove that I'm a durable asset to the company.

Life news:

1. I have a coffee date on Sunday with a normie. Met her online. She seems to have her life together but has admitted to some issues like depression. She knows I'm in recovery. We're just going to take things very slow and I'll keep my antenna up for red flags.

North - Come back to Philly with your husband and I'll buy you two some Primo's hoagies!

Toots - Congrats on 10 months!

LTP - You know I'm pulling for you. You've done enough thinking and contemplating. It's all just about putting it into action.

Marcher, LTP and Dee - word on the street is that it is so hot, athletes are hallucinating at the Australian Open! Hope you guys stay cool!

Babs, Duff, Sass, Gilmer, Ken, Wehav, and Meso - love you guys!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's just normal heat where I am DD - but yeah sounds hot 'down south' in oz

Hope this year will bring all kinds of advancements to you

D
Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

DD it's totally understandable you would be disappointed, but I love that you are owning the cause and not looking around to spread the blame. Too many people in normal situations refuse to own their own shortcomings or failings and blame it too easily on anything but the root cause- themselves! Now that drinking and Ill health are no longer an issue, you will surge forward workwise for sure. And even if others may be promoted before you, they will reach the ceiling of their abilities and you will surpass them.
As for LaLa land, it is good to attend meetings in totally different places, who knows what contacts you might make. ( yes I know AA isn't about glad handing, but it is an opportunity.) I know you will be fine, even if you mother worries ( it's her job, and you haven't been sober for long enough or been put in potentially risky situations enough for her concerns to be eased)
I hope you both enjoy the coffee date, no one can reach adulthood without issues, and I feel depression is a condition of the 21st century, so many of us suffer. It in a variety of intensities and for many reasons. I'm sure you will be caring and thoughtful, and very aware as to whether there is a potential for a relationship or to run for the hills!
You are such a grounded person, I am so glad you didn't manage to self destruct with booze, the world would be a lesser place for not having you in it.

Hi Dee, can I come get some of your lovely normal warmth? The rain is battering down on my roof just now - quelle sûprise! Britain is turning into a quagmire as Australia is melting and North America is a Popsicle! I have developed trench foot, and any brown patches are rust, not tan!
Well, another busy day in Tootsville, but I managed 6 hours sleep last night so feeling a bit better.
I hope all my Marching friends have a lovely Friday and a super weekend
Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

DD, it can be a real blast to attend meetings in different places. I used to belong to a ladies' gym here at home, and when we took a cross country trip, I got out first thing in the morning wherever we were staying and worked out in "sister" gyms. I got such a kick out of the "notches in my belt!"

Every place has a different flavor, too. You'll be interested in the observations you'll have of the people and style of the meetings in LA.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hey DD, my job sent me out to LA in 2000 and I ended up staying for over 3 years!! Assuming you get an all clear from the doc I hope you go. LA gets a bad rap but the weather is gorgeous and the beaches are so great -- I think the environment might accelerate your healing - you can walk along the bicycle paths every day and get lots of vitamin D.

I'm sorry about the promotion but you will be caught up soon enough. You've been through so much this year and have handled it all with such strength and maturity- you will get that promotion before you know it.

We are off to Miami for the weekend. Just another situation that induced anxiety in me last year but now it is just another weekend away with the family. Not that I don't struggle, but it does get easier.

Toots, glad you got some rest.

We are freezing here in So. Fla. today -- hoping it warms up soon as we don't have that many warm clothes to bundle up in!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

DD, my bet is on you to get that promo next time. I totally understand the disappointment but you have the right attitude about it. I hope one of these days you find a woman who deserves you. And mothers always worry - it's part of their job description.

Gilmer, nice note about visiting other gyms. Sounds like a fun way to see the country having a "home away from home" with like-minded people!

Hi Bud, is it very cold in KenWorld? Anything over freezing feels like a heat wave these cold, dark days

Marcher, is it hard to be back at work?

Toots, we should just start calling you Rusty. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures in Beantown :-). I gather depression has been around for many, many years. People didn't used to talk about it - even when I was growing up it wasn't considered a fit topic of conversation. These days people are much more open about it and IMO that's why it seems so much more prevalent.

Duff,I'm happy to hear that the struggle is getting easier for you! I hope you have a good weekend in Miami!

Dee, glad you're not melting where you are in Oz

Hugs to all!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good Morning Marchers
Nothing new with me today or lately.
Hope everyone is doing well. You guys sound great!!! Gotta love it.
Have a safe and sober week-end.
Babs
Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

All right Australia, give us our heat back!!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers I'm sitting here with a beautiful beach breeze blowing in the study window, it's a perfect coastal glittering summer morning. I hate to think how many of these I wasted in the bad old days. I've been for a walk, done a couple of loads of washing, made the lunches and now I'm off to work.

Thanks for asking about work Sass, nah it's not hard. Ours is a pleasant little family business shop, we only open 40 hours a week and we have a lovely clientele. We don't make a fortune but it's good honest pleasant work.

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
All right Australia, give us our heat back!!!!
Ken you'll have to speak to Perth, Adelaide & Melbourne about that -- Dee and I are entirely innocent of stealing the Floridian heat.

DD, love your attitude! I love how you have a bit of a gripe, see the other point of view and resolve to move on. It was the marchers good fortune when you and Gilmer came and joined us.

Have a good and sober day peeps.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

You're welcome to it Ken.................dreading my Air Con bill!

Morning all! I'm looking after my friends kids for the day,their 4,5 and seven! Should make for an eventful day!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Your hair will turn gray overnight, LP!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Gilmer, It probably wont take overnight!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Nah, I'd say 2 hours max!!! Lol
Old 01-17-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I just had a group of kids with their parents leave, I think male sea turtles have better parenting skills than these people had. I had to tell them at least 8 times over 1.5 hours that the kids cant do whatever it was they were doing.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Must be a combo of Chilly weather and a full moon.

Just Had a phone call

Caller: " Is this the bowling center?"

Me : Yes

Caller: Are you open tonight?

Me: Yes until 10:30

Caller: Do you deliver?

Of course I assumed he was asking about the café. But he didn't mention anything about the café, only the bowling center.

I should have asked, How many lanes do you want?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Well, crisis averted....I guess. I spend all day trying to get my ducks in a row. Calling my surgeon to see if it was safe to travel. Calling my physical therapist to make sure I knew what to do when I was on my own for a month. Calling all the partners I'm currently working with to make sure that my work was covered.

And then the LA office tells me that they ended up pulling in someone else because they needed someone who could do 50+ hours a week and that I have other clients. "I hope this isn't too much of an inconvenience," the LA manager said. Sigh. I actually started to get kind of excited about the project. But things worked out for the best. I can go to PT on Monday and see my surgeon in NYC on Thursday. I don't have to worry about staying in a hotel for 4 weeks. Oh well.

It's funny. I was talking to a Philly manager today and he's like, "are you sure you're able to do this? Like health-wise and emotionally? If you want, I can speak up for you. I'm in your corner." He's a good guy. It's clear the people in my office really do care about me. Thinking about it now, I really must have scared the sh*t out of them by going out and almost dying last March. I look at them the same, but must they look at me differently, not necessarily as an alcoholic (though I'm sure some have their suspicions), but as someone who was, and still might be, not entirely together. But there's no resentment from them; just genuine concern. I can't make amends to my bosses at work because it could put my job in jeopardy. But I wish I could.

So back to the normal routine. 8am meeting tomorrow morning. Step-work with my sponsor. Speaking at an AA meeting at a hospital. And then my first sober date on Sunday. As much as I bitch and complain, my life really isn't so bad. Pretty good in fact. Better than it's ever been.

Song of the day:
Old 01-18-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I guess you are no worse off than this time yesterday DD, but the chance of a change of scene short term must have been exciting. I imagine your colleagues are noticing a more mature, more outward looking you these days, less secretive and abrasive too I am sure, considering the seriousness of the addiction you were withholding from them. You can make amends to your bosses- give them the best of your ability every day on every case from now forward, which is what you are already doing.

Budd, I look at my grandson, and I look at other 7 year olds, and I am so very proud of my daughter for how she has brought him up to be polite, well mannered and friendly.
Similarly, I hate badly behaved dogs that jump all over you, beg, or generally misbehave. People are always saying how well behaved Molly is, what they don't appreciate is that I made time to train her to be the good girl she is, and it's every dog owners responsibility to do that in much the same way every parent should be bringing up future responsible adults.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

DD, can you put links to the song of the day? I can't play them on my fruity tablet any other way!
Old 01-18-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Not much going on here beyond the usual. I'm working hard to improve my diet to get rid of the extra pounds I put on this past year. I'm chomping at the bit to get back to walking. It's not practical at the moment because of icy patches but in a few months it will be great!

Marcher, about that beautiful beach breeze - it sounds absolutely wonderful :-). I immediately got an image of the beach, the ocean and the bright sun over all. It almost felt like I was there.

Hugs to all!