Notices

Class of March 2013 - Part 23

Old 01-18-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
DD, can you put links to the song of the day? I can't play them on my fruity tablet any other way!
Here you go, Toots:

Bon Iver - Wash. (AIR Studios Jagjaguwar Session)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di4sQKy_VI4
Old 01-18-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Thank you DD that was lovely! I then got side tracked and spent an hour on you tube!!! Lol x
Old 01-18-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Marchers. I'm not well today, it's just an upset stomach but I'm quite miserable. Just wanted to pop my head in and send my love to you all.

Stay strong and stay sober peeps.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

poor Marcher, I am on my way with a cool flannel and a good book. You look after yourself honey and hurry up and feel better soon. Xxxx

I really need to get packing today, three days left and still a lot of running around to do, so if I ever packed today, at least I know if I can take everything I want. I had to buy a new suitcase yesterday as mine has some loose stitching and I had visions of my no longer white undies merrily circling the carousel at Logan airport on Wednesday!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Tomorrow morning I have a meeting that could determine my career and professional registration and not in a good way. I so wish i'd given up when you (majority) did....it's just gone from bad to worse, no surprises there eh Dee!

For those of you that are religious, I please ask that you say a prayer for me tonight.....it would be fair to say that i am officially shitting myself.

I will be praying my heart out tonight.

Sorry you're not well Marcher, i'll squeeze a little prayer in for you and all Marchers too.

Life
Old 01-19-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I will definitely be praying for you, LP.

You, too, Marcher--I hope you get a good night's sleep.

Toots, your preparation comments are so exciting, even though they're necessarily getting briefer.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

LT - I hope things aren't as bad as you fear...best wishes...

but please, from someone who lost two careers - do take this as a wake up call.

it really can get worse - and J? it will if you keep drinking.

D
Old 01-19-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

LP I am sending positive thoughts your way love. Whatever happens tomorrow, you are strong enough to use it as leverage to make that final commitment to yourself and your sobriety.

Gilmer, do you still have your freebie wifi at home or are you back in McDs? Thank you for your continuing support x
Old 01-19-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I've still got the freebie access (the wifi is ours--it's just it suddenly has developed an immunity to our site blocking software ).
Old 01-19-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I'm boring again today--but I can wish you a good night, Dee!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good non boring day Gilmer

D
Old 01-19-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

LP, I will be thinking of you and sending you strength. Dee's comments are truly worth thinking deeply about. Please believe me when I say that waiting to stop drinking does not make it easier. As someone I know used to say about hard stuff we put off: "Just git 'er done!"

Marcher, so sorry you're not feeling well. Get better soon!

Gilmer, you're not boring :-). You are a sober Marcher! You sound like you are on a generally even keel. At least I hope that's the case.

Toots, what can I say? It seemed like such a long wait and now you will come across the pond this week! I'm looking forward to hear about what you like and don't like, and your impressions and funny stories. If you feel lonely, I'm just 2 hours away so you won't be alone!

Have a great day to all!
Old 01-19-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Yes, Sass, you're right. I can't wait to hear Toots's impressions of the weird sights and sounds of the USA!
Old 01-19-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

LP, praying so hard for you right now. I'm off to church in an hour and will think of you and pray for you during prayer time.

Marcher, I'm sorry you're so under the weather! Hoping you feel better soon - it seems to be going around here in FL too.

Ok, Toots - big day for you. Today determines whether you will be arriving to a Super Bowl town or not! I'm getting so excited for you and like Sassy, I can't wait to hear all about your new adventure!!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I will be rooting for the Patriots, then, even though they're not one of my faves.

I let my 16-yo-son drive home from church today. He needed a little gentle correction about stop signs!

I seem to have been born with the unique gift of not going nuclear at the threat of certain disaster, so I have been the official drivers' education overseer for all five kids. I do use the "imaginary brake pedal," though!

I know a woman who also seemed outwardly calm while her kids were learning to drive--but the whole time in the passenger seat she picked her nose! Is there an emoticon for that?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

On a serious note, I just want to encourage everybody on here.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I have noticed recently some slight hints of regret for the way things have unfolded in people's pasts. I know I am often downright haunted by the really stupid or hurtful things I've done and cannot undo.

But you know we cannot change the past. Regret is futile. I believe that condemnation is a trap of the enemy--it serves no purpose except to harm us further.

I also believe that we are each created in God's own image, and there is real excellence in each one of us.

We can give a quick, rational assessment to the past, then move beyond it--even with small steps--to higher ground.

Don't let regret in even for a second!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
On a serious note, I just want to encourage everybody on here.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I have noticed recently some slight hints of regret for the way things have unfolded in people's pasts. I know I am often downright haunted by the really stupid or hurtful things I've done and cannot undo.

But you know we cannot change the past. Regret is futile. I believe that condemnation is a trap of the enemy--it serves no purpose except to harm us further.

I also believe that we are each created in God's own image, and there is real excellence in each one of us.

We can give a quick, rational assessment to the past, then move beyond it--even with small steps--to higher ground.

Don't let regret in even for a second!
Very wise words, Gilmer! Dwelling on the past has only helped me in a temporary way when I've needed to deal with old stuff in therapy because it was coming between how I was living my life versus how I wanted to live my life. Regrets have only helped me when they have triggered the realization that I have work to do on myself. I think I've now reached a point where I feel that I will always be a work-in-progress and things will never be perfect.

There are things I can control and things I can't. But i agree that hating ourselves or feeling disgusted with ourselves can only get in the way of growth.

Btw, you are incredibly brave about the kids and driving thing. I had to give up and pay for a driving instructor after my daughter nearly hit a neighbor's house!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Thanks for the good wishes, I'm feeling 70% today so I'll be right by tomorrow, how lucky Monday is my day off. I don't know how I used to survive regular hangovers, I haven't been ill in a debilitating way since February last year, it stuns me how much it knocks you around. Another reason to stay sober.

Wise words Gilmer! This year I'm very focussed on building upon what I've got. I'm sober and have been eating well for over ten months, taking nutrition and exercise further can only help. In May 2015 I turn 60 and I want to 'rock it' to use the vernacular. I don't want to look back with regrets and recriminations, I'm really driven to meet the future.

LP, I'm thinking of you this morning, I hope that things will go better than you anticipate. Maybe it might be an idea to print out the post above as a reminder? I was always impressed with Ken doing that with his first post, he said he got so much out of doing it. If I remember correctly he made multiple copies of it and put it in significant places.

Have a good and sober day peeps.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers!

LP, I am not a praying guy, but I am holding you in my thoughts and hoping only for the best. I second Marcher's suggestion - writing a letter to yourself or printing out a post like Ken did is one tool that may help. I wrote myself a letter after my worst-ever hangover and panic attack (probably should have gone to the hospital, but didn't) which helped but I needed that along with SR, along with some AA.

Toots, I remember you posting a pic of your wedding. We are watching "Chasing Shakleton" which is an attempt to recreate his famous journey to South Georgia island. I will think of you now when I read polar exploration books!

Marcher, like you, I don't know how I functioned with hangovers. I woke up with little to no sleep and felt like crap and went about my workday. For years. How did we do it?

Gilmer I'm rooting for the Patriots too, though it does not look good at the moment. Everyone I have been cheering for has lost. I am bad mojo.

Sassy, love your posts as always.

DD, you are handling the job situation well. That is a "personal promotion"

Things here are quiet, a good thing, but I really do need to get back to the writing. Just can't seem to make myself do it. Much prefer reading (Plutocrats, at the moment).

Big love all,

North (dude) lander
Old 01-19-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Sorry, Toots, your team didn't make it. Oh well - Boston is still a great town

During half time at polo everyone converges on the field and they pass out ice cream and champagne (and the symbolic divot stomp). I was talking to a group of girlfriends and one of them handed me a glass of champagne. I took it and held it and didn't think one thing about it. I didn't decline it as we were going to toast and since it wasn't a big deal, I didn't want to make it a big deal.

So that's that --- that sort of thing would have sent me into a tail spin last season. This year, not so much. Living in the present, Gilmer, and not looking back to the past -- love it.

Marcher, glad you are on the mend! I'm with you and North, how the heck did we manage feeling so awful all the time?