Notices

Class of January 2014

Old 01-01-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Odelle, that's fantastic, thank you for doing all of that!
Yes, Briar, I would think that alcohol would give me that boost to clean or whatever and it would, for an hour or so, and then I'd wind up distracted and lazy, or like you, doing it wrong!
I was pretty unproductive today, but I figure a sober unproductive day is better than a drinking one!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Welcome Wordsworth, I'll update the class roster. Looking forward to a sober and healthy 2014!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Hi, I would like to join. Day one for me, and this is my first post. Happy New Year, all!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

So… This is my first post on the board.

Today is the first day of January 2104. I am thirty eight years old and have spent the better part of my life overweight. Over the last ten years I have combined my weight issues with drinking too much. I suspect I have done both of these due to some level of depression. Over the last year my drinking and eating has seemed to spiral out of control. This has started to affect my marriage to my wife and relation with my kids. My relationship with my wife is almost shot.

After multiple months of contemplation I have decided I wanted to make a change today. I am tired of being fat… I am tired of drinking to drown away my depression. I am tired of being an alcoholic, a word I have only accepted for myself recently. I really want more than anything to be healthy and be a better father and better husband. I cry as I type these words as I know my family deserves more than what I have given them.

I want to change for them, but I also what to change for me. I want to live, I want to be sober and I want to be healthy. I want to be somebody that my family can be proud of.

Well, that is my story and I am here to stop drinking. I have no plans to go to treatment. In the past I have done it cold turkey and plan to do the same. Short of some sleeping issues I have never had any issues in the past.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome ed and ronjohn - its never too late to be who you want to be

D
Old 01-01-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee...

I have read this board for months, poking around, but never admitting "guilt"... I am looking forward to supporting each other in our journey to sobriety and a better life!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Well I guess this is me sober since the first hope it lasts x
Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Administrator

don't hope - make it so Liss

D
Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Here's a 24 hour sign up link guys .

Feel free to use it , i do to keep myself accountable to me ;> )

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...elcome-11.html

Last edited by Dee74; 01-01-2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 01-01-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I'm Adee and this is day 3 for me. My 1000th day 3. I really want this time to be different. Happy New Year and New Start to all of us.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Adee - good to have you
Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Tired of the on and off again drinking over the past year, feeling like cr@p the next morning and having to try and sweat it out on a run knowing that it would bring me as close to feeling "normal" as possible, wondering if the hangover was responsible for my lack of patience with my three young boys, this year......... I really want to try and make it through sober.

Have managed to stay on the wagon for months at a time but there's always been some reason, some excuse....... joined a year ago this is my first post. Happy New Year everybody
Old 01-01-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too The Fist

D
Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Morning all day 2 for me! it took a little while to get off to sleep but once I was asleep I went through until this morning. I woke up just wanting a cup of tea rather than the usual gallon of water! Feeling a lot better already. Carlygirl Im in the UK too I have also signed up for DryJanuary just wondered if you felt you needed additional support it might be an idea?
Good luck to all of this today I hope it wont be too much of a struggle to get to day 3 for us...
Old 01-02-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

I think i should join in this one as my last drink was 30th December. Started exercising the last few days and was a bit late for work this morning as i was sleeping like a baby!Made up an exercise plan for this month which starts Monday.

I'm very determined to stay sober but i'm taking it one day at a time this time as it didn't help me thinking about the future to much as i don't even know who i am if i'm honest!But it will be good to get to know everyone here whilst i start liking myself so here's to happy sobriety :-)
Old 01-02-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Went on skiing in the morning. Ate well. Now sitting at home doing nothing and fighting these awful cravings. I even see and feel the taste of the cold pint. Oh and it's day 2 for me. Got drunk on both 30 and 31.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Hi again everyone - day 2 for me. I have just read this thread through from the start and everyone seems to be doing well so far and have great attitudes to doing this.

I joined in March 2013 and have had no more than 3 days sober in a row since then. I see a couple of my fellow Marchers here too. Since March things have gotten progressively worse. I no longer go out with my husband to any social occasion. I would rather stay in and drink alone to oblivion. I no longer trust my self to drink in front of people. I have been getting through 2 bottles of wine a night.

It was also a terrible year for family health problems. I didn't deal with these at all - just chose to drink to blot them out. They are ongoing so I am going to have to learn how to deal with them. I also have an appointment at hospital next week which may or may not turn out well (not drink related). Again drinking will not change the outcome so I must deal with it.

Yesterday I admitted to my husband that I am an alcoholic - and it was the first time I have said this out loud to myself too. He said 'I'm glad you have finally admitted it'. And I thought I was hiding it so well!!!

My plan is to be present on SR constantly, keep a journal, take drink off the table completely, talk to my husband - he is fully supportive and knows now what my problems are, learn to deal with life's problems instead of blotting them out, read a lot of self-help books (I have already read about 10). Any suggestions to add to this list are welcome - however, I don't want to go to AA route.

Lets make January 2014 our time eveyone - we can and will do this with each other's help - for me it is long over due and I am really looking forward to never having to feel like **** again.

Love S. xxxx
Old 01-02-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I have insomnia, but I actually appreciate the 'me' time I get in these early hours. I only get to enjoy it when I am sober though.

Freddy, you can make it! Have you looked into urge surfing as a skill to get through the cravings? Cravings are temporary. I find it helpful to not fight them but sort of help them on their way. When I have a craving, I observe how I am feeling physically and what I am thinking, and then I watch the feelings dissipate.

There is also the HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired...and many people add emotional), which is a basic list of things to avoid because they can trigger cravings.

TheFist, I know my patience with my kids is horrible when I have been drinking, even when I am sober. In fact, declining patience and rising anger as I continued to drink over the years was a major motivator for seeking permanent sobriety.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Snaggle View Post
...read a lot of self-help books (I have already read about 10). Any suggestions to add to this list are welcome - however, I don't want to go to AA route.
I recently discovered that reading a lot of self-help books was a form of procrastination and self-sabotage for me. I was reading them, but applying none of them -something to consider.

You can look into the secular recovery thread of alternatives to AA. I personally think SMART has the best tools, while Rational Recovery has the most direct approach.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Morning all. Day 3 here.

Jazzfish - Another insomniac? I must admit I'm having trouble readjusting to sleeping without alcohol but I actually managed about 5 hours last night, albeit broken. Hopefully as time goes on it will get better for both of us. I'm a right misery when I'm tired! Not as bad as being hungover though.

Freddy - Hang on in there buddy, I recognise you from a class I've been in in the past. Stay strong

Snaggle - Nice to hear from you. I know from past experience admitting you have a problem too others but especially yourself makes things easier.

For me I'm off to the cinema today to see Walter Mitty. It seems lighthearted which is what we could all do with atm! I think my withdrawal will now be over but I'm still feeling some of the lethargy and anxiety. Looking forward to feeling even stronger later.

What are the rest of you up to today?