Old 01-02-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome guys - and thanks for the kind words

D
Old 01-02-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Good morning all. Entering day 8 and off to work soon. Still somewhat lethargic but I know this too shall pass. Sleep is still broken, seems to be in increments of 2-3 hours, but I am able to go back to sleep. Hang in there everyone, it does improve over time. The updated class roster is as follows:

Wishing everyone continued success and I will check back in this evening.
I have no idea how you manage to keep all those tabs Odelle. But a huge thank you. It's so reassuring to know we're not alone.

LP x
Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snaggle View Post
Hi again everyone - day 2 for me. I have just read this thread through from the start and everyone seems to be doing well so far and have great attitudes to doing this. I joined in March 2013 and have had no more than 3 days sober in a row since then. I see a couple of my fellow Marchers here too. Since March things have gotten progressively worse. I no longer go out with my husband to any social occasion. I would rather stay in and drink alone to oblivion. I no longer trust my self to drink in front of people. I have been getting through 2 bottles of wine a night. It was also a terrible year for family health problems. I didn't deal with these at all - just chose to drink to blot them out. They are ongoing so I am going to have to learn how to deal with them. I also have an appointment at hospital next week which may or may not turn out well (not drink related). Again drinking will not change the outcome so I must deal with it. Yesterday I admitted to my husband that I am an alcoholic - and it was the first time I have said this out loud to myself too. He said 'I'm glad you have finally admitted it'. And I thought I was hiding it so well!!! My plan is to be present on SR constantly, keep a journal, take drink off the table completely, talk to my husband - he is fully supportive and knows now what my problems are, learn to deal with life's problems instead of blotting them out, read a lot of self-help books (I have already read about 10). Any suggestions to add to this list are welcome - however, I don't want to go to AA route. Lets make January 2014 our time eveyone - we can and will do this with each other's help - for me it is long over due and I am really looking forward to never having to feel like **** again. Love S. xxxx
Hi Snaggle:

Your story sounds just like mine. Let's do this together!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Something someone said on another post about responding to your AV: instead of listening to your AV tell you you want a drink, just translate it to "blah blah blah blah blah blah". Of course, you could also go Charlie Brown and interpret it as "who woh woh woh woh woh woh woh". Both work for me
Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

I'm in for 2014.

Last year I did good for couple of months, then I got too much confidence about my drinking so now 2 days without alcohol and feeling quite bad. It'll get better in couple of weeks. I have never drank in moderation. The day I was able to buy alcohol it's always been binge. Alcohol took my shyness and anxiety away and I felt like I was the most confident person in the world. It also gave me lot of unwanted bodyweight and depression. I managed to clean up my diet and began exercising so now I'm physically in a good shape, but mentally broken.

It's been hard to find any joy in life because of my weekends of binge drinking and since I have many friends that like to party a lot, I'm just the one that can't handle my drinking. I've always wanted to life a happy and healthy but binge drinking just destroys my progress. I don't have anyone in my life that would understand my decision to quit drinking, but I know I have to do this, I'll do it for myself. I gamble without any thought of the income when I'm drunk. I lie about the most stupidest things, like that my parents are dead or some other stupid crap that isn't true. I get really depressend after drinking and think about suicide a lot. I probably wouldn't do anything really but I like to play with the thought in my mind. I can't handle my drinking and I can't handle myself when drunk.

This site and program sounds very promising and helps me to cope with this anxiety and depression caused by drinking for now We can do it! Will post updated feelings when my mood clears up a bit...
Old 01-02-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Splitting headache now...exhausted today. Day four can't end soon enough. If I wasn't on parent duty right now, I would be in bed for the night very happily.

This is where I will struggle those most - those times when I REALLY need some time to myself and there isn't an option. One of the biggest triggers for me to pick up the first drink is the need to be physically present but the desire to "feel" away. The irony is that drinking really stopped working for that anyway - it just made me more agitated in dealing w/ the kids.

I'm choosing to be present. Reminding myself tonight. Present is not always pleasant but it beats puking in the shower at six in the morning, or having a ten year old relay a conversation you don't remember having.

This is definitely better.

It helps to read this thread - glad to be in this group with all of you.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Kakanola, Your post really hit a nerve in me. When I was in my 20s and 30s, I was a weekend binger and was battling thoughts of suicide constantly. The crazy thing is that I have been blessed with a good life, good jobs, house, family and security. It wasn't until I joined SR that I learned about the side effects of alcohol and detox. Most likely, the extreme depression was related to constant withdrawals during the week.

I joined SR last February and stuck with sobriety almost to the 100 day mark before slipping. I can honestly attest to the fact that my depression completely lifted even before 30 days sober.

Stick with this, you are in for a pleasant surprise!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Day 8 done! I understand a lot of people don't like counting days, but I find it therapeutic early on, it reminds me of what's at stake when the AV kicks in. No way do I want to start over. So, no competition here, just me keeping myself accountable and building momentum with each passing day.

And now, for the grand finale, todays class roster (Note: plenty of seats open):

1 Adee
2 Autan
3 Avra
4 Binge1989
5 BradJustBrad
6 Branches
7 Briar
8 Carlygirl
9 ColoradoMan
10 Countingdays
11 Dbskid
12 Django
13 Ed2715
14 Emkay
15 Forabetterlife
16 ForestRunner
17 Free2Bsober13
18 FreddyBear
19 Grahammt21312
20 Grindilow
21 Halfvictory
22 Imabuleva
23 IreLander
24 Jazzfish
25 Jenn80
26 Johnny555
27 Kakanola
28 Kat60
29 kcbf
30 Lifeplant
31 Liss74
32 Lulu212
33 Marcellina
34 Martina12
35 Medion
36 MetalMatt
37 Muhv
38 Mulligan72
39 Mvngon
40 Noexcuse
41 Odelle
42 Pataphor
43 Peeka
44 Pmaub
45 Robert777
46 Ronjohn
47 Rose1234
48 Sazzle
49 Shellflower
50 SHG13
51 Sinderos
52 Snaggle
53 SoberChristmas
54 SoberMM
55 Tang
56 TheAceFace
57 Thefist
58 TTBABP

Congratulations everyone for making the decision to take back your lives!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time

I'm in. I'm 6 days sober and have made my goal to be chemically free through the 2014 year! I will do this one day at a time.with all of your help.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Welcome Eldy, great to have you in our class. One day at a time, we will get through this!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Heading to bed 4 days sober now. Today was a good day, a bunch of good, random things happened, and I felt good and can tell I look better already. Mostly the bloating is gone. I had a few thoughts of wine today, but then reminded myself that drinking is not an option. Having been through all if this before, many many times, I know that it I only gets better and cravings do subside as sober time builds up.
I am loving seeing this big class and knowing that I am not the only one going through this.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

I'm in too. Day 3 for me. Was doing o.k., but slipped on Dec 30th. Stayed sober on NYE though (and since).
Old 01-02-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Hello all. Day one for me :/ very nervous
Old 01-02-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

It is such a relief to find this thread. Tonight without wine will be interesting. I usually have a bottle or a bottle and a half a night
Old 01-02-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Proudly a member of the Class of January 2014! Two days strong, we can all do this together!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Starting Day 6 here .... Not sleeping great yet (and yesterday was exhausted to no end), but I'm waking up sober!!!! And that is so much better than sick and hungover ... I'd usually either be Running out of bed right now to grab some wine so I can start my weekend binge at 9am or counting the hours until the liquor store opened.

Going for a walk in a bit by the sea and then will be gentle with myself. I feel some cravings this morning so have to be vigilant.

Have a great day all!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Hey guys! I am from the class of September 2013 and I have a little over 4 months sober. I just wanted to pop in and provide some unsolicited cheerleading and encouragement. The earliest days are hard. It gets a lot easier as you string together sober days. Do the best you can not to slip. Tell yourself you can slip later. The more abstinence you accumulate, the easier it gets, until eventually, you don't want to drink anymore. Hang in there and rely on each other. I didn't think I could live without alcohol, but here I am. My life feels wide open and I'm the healthiest I've ever been emotionally. If I can do this, you guys all can too. You're starting at a great time!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Early days for me, and I just cried all through a martial arts movie. The days will improve soon enough as long as I don't drink. To bed!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by new star View Post
It is such a relief to find this thread. Tonight without wine will be interesting. I usually have a bottle or a bottle and a half a night
Drinking lots and lots of water helped get me through day one, New Star. Squeeze some lemon in it for added flavor. Hang in there, you can do this, I too had a bottle of wine in the evening habit, sometimes more on weekends. I don't know about you, but breaking the habit by replacing it with something else really helps me. Time for a cup of tea!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Drinking lots and lots of water helped get me through day one, New Star. Squeeze some lemon in it for added flavor. Hang in there, you can do this, I too had a bottle of wine in the evening habit, sometimes more on weekends. I don't know about you, but breaking the habit by replacing it with something else really helps me. Time for a cup of tea!
Thank you SO much for your reply! What did you replace wine with? Water and lemon/ tea? I will be giving it a go tonight!