Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 7

Old 12-18-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Fresher brewed ice tea or water with lime at home. Usually the same in restaurants, I am boring.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I like the flavored San Pellegrino or Izze with a wedge of lime, or cranberry and soda. If you drink Coke or Diet Coke, ask for a splash of grenadine in it and it tastes like Cherry Coke. I always want to ask for a Shirley Temple but I feel too silly.

I just read a great quote that I wanted to share with you all and especially the people who have had setbacks:

Giving up on your goal because of one setback is like slashing your other three tires because you got one flat.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

For the last couple of months, I have tried very hard to eat vegan (certainly vegetarian) for breakfast and lunch. In the evening I allow myself to eat whatever I want!

During the week, B/L is at my workplace cafeteria. I've noticed that the fact that I eat this way has not escaped the notice of others. The workers behind the counter initially asked me questions, but now they know what I want ... and other patrons sometimes comment on my selections or say "I know what you'll be having."

Truth be told, some days it is difficult to stay the course, but the unanticipated accountability helps keep me focused. I can say that things are much easier now than in the beginning.

I hope drinking will turn out much the same. I look forward to everyone knowing that I don't drink. They don't need to know the "why" any more than my workplace colleagues need to know why I make vegan/vegetarian selections.

Have a great day!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

I had lunch with a friend I have known for 25 years today. She knows all of my mom drama so when I told her the latest segment, she sympathized but then started making all sorts of excuses/explanations for my parents' situation. I don't know if she was doing it to be nice, or just that people who haven't experienced alcoholism truly don't understand how alcohol can take over one's life. Still, for the first time in a long time, I started second guessing whether I am a drama queen with all of this alcohol addiction stuff. Thank goodness for SR and all of you because sometimes I feel all alone and unsure of myself tackling my sobriety and dealing with my mother's alcoholism.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Whodey, cranberry and lime is my go-to. I also like ginger ale and look up Onli. It is a really funky, cool-looking, cool tasting drink. (I think they have more flavors but some of those have more calories than the fizzy green tea)
Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

DD...you are sooooo not alone....and people who may not have addiction in their lives really don't "get it"....You are NOT being a drama queen....this is reality...sorry to say
Old 12-18-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Another Christmas party and managed to stick to cokes. In the beginning, I made the mistake of picking up a glass with orange juice, taking a sip and realizing it was a mimosa - walked straight into the men's room and spit it out in the sink. Bam!! I won't make that mistake again. When in doubt, pour your own drink.

The party was pretty lame and seriously boring at times so I ended up leaving at 10pm. It is clear now why I used to make it a practice of getting ripped at these sorts of events - they can be just boring and awkward without the social lubricant that alcohol sometimes provides. If it didn't make he sick and act like a crazy person, I'd probably enjoy having social drinks on nights like these. That said, I've accepted my position, have no real temptation or desire to drink, and am happy to be home now with a clear head knowing that I will be fully functional tomorrow.

Good night all...
Old 12-18-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your friends entitled to her opinion, but I think your take on the situation was a valid one DD.
Not everyone understands the ramifications of addiction like we do.

D
Old 12-18-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I had lunch with a friend I have known for 25 years today. She knows all of my mom drama so when I told her the latest segment, she sympathized but then started making all sorts of excuses/explanations for my parents' situation. I don't know if she was doing it to be nice, or just that people who haven't experienced alcoholism truly don't understand how alcohol can take over one's life. Still, for the first time in a long time, I started second guessing whether I am a drama queen with all of this alcohol addiction stuff. Thank goodness for SR and all of you because sometimes I feel all alone and unsure of myself tackling my sobriety and dealing with my mother's alcoholism.
You are not alone. I wouldn't be where I am at without all of you.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

My drink of choice when out is sparkling water in a champagne glass -with a strawberry (because it brings out the flavour out of the champagne). No calories and I just keep it filled.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

It's good to read some choices for drinks other than iced tea. I'm getting a little bored with it.

My last post was on Saturday and I was still debating whether or not I can moderate drinking. Sunday night I had an entire bottle of wine. I guess that answers my question. I'm so mad at myself, but I will try to see this as a learning experience. The weird thing is that my husband also drank a bottle. He does have 100 pounds on me but still! I don't think he has a problem because he doesn't mind not drinking. But he sure can put it away when he does. I guess that bothers me but I don't know why.

Anyway, good night. I need to sign in to the 24 hour club.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Administrator

I knew people who could drink more than me and it didn't seem to rule their life they way it ruled mine.
I knew people who drank less than me who died.

The only person who matters in this equation is you Free, and what alcohol does to you, and how you feel about that.

D
Old 12-18-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

DD thank you! I'm 7 weeks sober and told the first person outside my immediate family on Saturday. Her response? You're not an alcoholic, you don't drink in the morning.

I was so disappointed bc I'm so nervous to tell people and I got zero support from my friend. Same as your friend, she made me feel like I was being over dramatic and that I'm just going through a phase. Then I started second guessing myself and feeling confused and lonely.

So thank you for your story, I feel better now knowing that other people feel the same way and happy to have people here who understand.

Lastly - my drink of choice is LaCroix with lime. Bring some to a party and I guarantee you won't be the only one drinking it.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

When I was drinking, I'd never miss a chance to go out and drink (and then most of the time stop to buy more alcohol on the way home to continue until I passed out). Tonight, I skipped going out to a fundraiser at a bar not because I was afraid I'd drink, but because I just didn't feel like being around drunk people. I didn't want to be somewhere loud where people would be talking at me and not making sense. SM, I feel like you at the party when you realized that you were bored and could leave at any time. I did want to commend you on spitting the mimosa out in the sink. I'm not sure what I would've done in the situation, but now I've got that as my example.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I remember way back when, being on vacation on a beach in Mexico...sober for a few years. Ordered a tonic with lime. Got a vodka tonic...my "drink of choice" when I was drinking. Took a huge gulp and KNEW immediately....spit it out in the sand, and was so freaked out that it could have been considered a "relapse" (since I inadvertently swallowed some)....moved on and did not consider it a new "day 1"....Gotta remain vigilant with this "thing"....Oh...BTW...just HAD to share with the group....in a short 2 months of sobriety (following 3 years of drinking since we moved here) I can NOW fit back in to ALL of the clothes we moved here with! I have struggled with trying to lose the weight I apparently gained over the last three years (which NOW I realize was obviously due to drinking). I don't have a scale...so I don't know how much, but I think it is a lot by the way my clothes fit. I also remember my dad, who was also alcoholic, "teaching" me to drink vodka gimlets since they did not have any carbs One time, I remember going on a "Slimfast"/ vodka and diet tonic water diet...that was it...all I had for weeks...many years ago. Lost tons of weight, but...oh....the negative ramifications.....lol.....
Old 12-19-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

coffee, water, juice, cordial......

great to be sober....

better than drunk or dead//////

v
Old 12-19-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Hi all.

Haven't read in about 17 days. SORRY. Miss you all (and good Sober conversation). I need more minutes.

Like day 80 something? I think.

Wife is doing well. Healthy and happy. 35 weeks.

I hope you all are well and staying strong.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to drink a beer right now.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete>
Restart>
Driver 2.0.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Another night, another Christmas party about to start. Here we go again. I hate the whole 'why aren't you drinking crap'. Thinking of telling people I'm pregnant or something stupid. Sorry for being negative but it gets old after a while...
Old 12-19-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Another night, another Christmas party about to start. Here we go again. I hate the whole 'why aren't you drinking crap'. Thinking of telling people I'm pregnant or something stupid. Sorry for being negative but it gets old after a while...
That's taking Mr. Mom to the extreme : )

I've used "I'm the designated driver" excuse too often lately. I'll next just say I'm not drinking and leave it at that. Anyone who continues to pry after that answer probably has a drinking problem of their own.

Leaving for a 9 day cruise this Saturday. This will be the first one where I won't be drinking. Because drinks cost anywhere $6 to $12, plus 15% gratuity! that should not be a problem. A couple of years ago friends of hours had a $1,000 drinking tab at the end of the cruise. I'll just save the money and buy a tropical shirt and a straw hat.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Good to see you back here, Driver! SM, for me it gets easier just to say I don't drink with the more sobriety I have. When we first moved here, I was at a party at a neighbor's house (3 years ago) and I had been sober for 4 years prior to our move. I did actually have someone (the hostess) at the party "pry" and say things like "oh, are you on a diet?" My reply, "No, I just don't drink"...Her next response, NOTHING???? EVER????" My reply, "That's right, could I just have a glass of water?" But...I guess eventually I DID drink...ugh So.....here I am and proud of it! As for a cruise, Bilr.... I was a "children's hostess" on a cruise line for many years (during spring/xmas/summer breaks when I was teaching...and young...lol...) years ago. As crew, we got 70% off of our bar bill....and my bar bill easily used up what I was paid for the cruise and more! After my first round of sobriety, my (now) husband and I took his first cruise...and as I sat on deck (with 8 years of sobriety under my belt at the time) out of my mouth came, "Vodka tonic, please".....And so THAT relapse started. I am so very sure, however, that YOU will make it and enjoy and remember your cruise (unlike me). A tropical hat and shirt sound so much better Have a great time! Where are you going?