Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 7

Old 12-16-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
I've been keeping myself busy lately converting my parents old family slides to JPEG the last few days. It is weird seeing my young, innocent self : ) This will be time consuming but worth it, and not something I would have been into doing during my drinking days. I think I will be roped into doing my in laws slides, who we are visiting in West Palm Beach tomorrow.
It seems many of us have geographic connections between us: coincidentally, my inlaws also live in and around west palm beach. I actually lived there during my 'formative' years. Enjoy your visit - I don't get over there much these days because of the ocean between us.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HDrosebud View Post
Happy Birthday DD... I know you will make it a wonderful sober birthday.
hahahahaha! LOVE that!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

WD....I did just that....put up the (fake) tree, decorations and lights and feel sooooooo much better! Not much for sweets....alcohol always supplied the needed sugar/calories...lol....JL....glad your baby is feeling better! It's ok to whine now and again...just move on....one foot in front of the other....and do what is in front of you See, now it's Tuesday!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good morning Tobers. I trust that everyone is doing well.

Today marks 8 weeks sober. Feeling good. Temptation has not been an issue lately, but I haven't been in tempting situations. In other words, I've just been lazy and laying around the house.

Today's Question of the Day (QOTD): Egg Nog. Big Fan or Big Yuck?

This will be interesting this year. I always have a few glasses, but have always added alcohol. It will be virgin nog this year. Mark me down as a fan.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
JL2013

Thanks all, for the straightforward thoughts. It is very much appreciated. Glad the trees up and feeling good, Trudging. SM, I spent 2 months each summer up and down the east coast of Fla, around and in west palm. Late 70s. My dad was a traveling accountant and did everyone's taxes all down through there. Good times.
Home and in the bed. Good day to all- thankful for SM.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

WD, congrats on 8 weeks! That's a huge accomplishment!

About the eggnog, it's a yum for me but I don't think I'll be having any this year. I try to avoid eggs and dairy, and without the booze, I keep hearing "what's the point?" in my head. I have been all about the hot apple cider for the past couple months, though. Yum. I went out with some friends last night and they had beer while I had apple cider (the n/a kind, not the beer-like kind), and I'm convinced that I had the better drink.

And for yesterday's question about the Christmas treats, I have to go with Christmas cookies. Any kind. A mix of them in a Christmas tin makes me way too happy.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
On tropical Christmases: A woman at the Christmas party was telling my husband that when she moved from Boston to FL, she was really depressed the first Christmas. She told a shop clerk that she just couldn't get into the Christmas spirit without snow and cold weather. The shop clerk said, "I may be wrong. But I think the first Christmas was held in a climate more like this . . . ."
DD....this was the post I meant to comment on above when I was saying "hahahahaha"....Don't know how the darn thing quoted the other one....Yikes!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Trudging, I have to admit I was a bit puzzled by your response. I can't figure out how to just take one or two quotes out a whole post. I am such a tech moron. When my kids leave, I won't be able to turn on my TV. Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated.

Whodey, good job on 8 weeks! Bah humbug on egg nog, not a fan.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I can't figure out how to just take one or two quotes out a whole post.
Select "Quote" when wanting to reply to a post that you want to quote from. Then just delete the parts of the quoted post you don't want to include.

Bracketing any test with [ QUOTE] and [ /QUOTE] will produce a "quote". I included an extra space after each [ so the quote function wouldn't work.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

New yummy, tasty, fizzy, delicious non alcoholic drink. Onli Green Tea Lemongrass Mango Sugar Free. It comes in a glass bottle and only has 5 calories!!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Little Sparrow,

I love the "what's the point"? question. I keep asking myself that when I know that the ultimate "result" of drinking doesn't do anything except make a hole in my wallet, a certain level of remorse/regret, and (depending on the amount consumed) a headache.

Fishy
Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thanks for that WD....I obviously couldn't figure that out either...lol...and to think....I am the techie in the house Doesn't say much for what my husband knows about computers As for "what's the point?"....I too, drank to get drunk....usually. So I have to agree....although there is something about eggnog at Xmas...Even tried non-alcoholic wines/beers....how frustrating was that?! And....a very slippery slope for me....
Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
It seems many of us have geographic connections between us: coincidentally, my inlaws also live in and around west palm beach. I actually lived there during my 'formative' years. Enjoy your visit - I don't get over there much these days because of the ocean between us.
Actually Riviera Beach/Singer Island. It is a great place to go and just relax. It is also nice to have a condo to go to in south Florida. Almost like going on vacation. I really enjoy living down here after spending most of my life in Pennsylvania. I has snowed most of the week where we are from and I am not missing driving in that.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

No on egg nog... favorite is sugar cookies with frosting... . Just chiming a little behind
Old 12-17-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

We get there quite a lot as they used to live 2,000 miles away and now it is only about 70 miles. It is also nice because their condo is right on the beach so the kids love it. I know what it's like living in the EU. As expats, we were given two paid flights back to the US. Our kids were small then so traveling with the 6 hour time difference was not fun.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Actually Riviera Beach/Singer Island. It is a great place to go and just relax. It is also nice to have a condo to go to in south Florida. Almost like going on vacation. I really enjoy living down here after spending most of my life in Pennsylvania. I has snowed most of the week where we are from and I am not missing driving in that.
I have many fond memories of Singer Island. It was a 'go-to' beach for me during the late 90s. Ironically, they had a pretty cool bar there where you could grab a drink and hear some tunes...those truly were care-free times!!
I bet things have changed dramatically there since those days, other than the weather which is pretty good most of the year, as it sounds as though you are enjoying:-)
Old 12-18-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

We get there quite a lot as they used to live 2,000 miles away and now it is only about 70 miles. It is also nice because their condo is right on the beach so the kids love it. I know what it's like living in the EU. As expats, we were given two paid flights back to the US. Our kids were small then so traveling with the 6 hour time difference was not fun.
I am hauling all of us over to the west coast (CA) in February. Not sure I'm too excited about having the kids on the plane for more than 10hrs each way but I'm sure it will be fun while we are there.

Condo on the beach sounds perfect. I need to find something like that once I'm ready to leave this part of the world and get back to civilization!
Old 12-18-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I have many fond memories of Singer Island. It was a 'go-to' beach for me during the late 90s. Ironically, they had a pretty cool bar there where you could grab a drink and hear some tunes...those truly were care-free times!!
I bet things have changed dramatically there since those days, other than the weather which is pretty good most of the year, as it sounds as though you are enjoying:-)
It has probably changed a lot since you were there last. There are all condos on the ocean side of Ocean Avenue, and what looks like original houses on the other. It is very low key there and just a great place to relax from the hustle of Miami.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

All this talk of warm climates and beaches had me digging through my dresser drawer this morning looking for my swim suit!

The snow is melting here and the forecast calls for increasing temperatures and lots of rain. If it isn't one thing it's another. Well, at least it won't be snowing.

Today's Question of the Day (QOTD): Do you have a favorite non-alcoholic holiday party beverage?

I've been experimenting with a variety of non-alcoholic beverages, but nothing has caught my fancy. It would be nice to have a go-to drink that I could order when out for dinner. Right now, it's mostly iced tea ... which is okay, but a little boring.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

WD...well, iced tea is my day time "go to"....but at the end of the day...in the tropics...I have been drinking one virgin pina colada Probably for a holiday party beverage...hmmmm....tonic with lime? I know what you mean about getting bored with iced tea....drinking it for years, now....I struggle with what to order in restaurants as well...often ending up with iced tea